Located in Santa Ana, California, French Park Care Center is one of eight nursing homes in the area. Featuring an overall rating of F, we consider this to be a very poor nursing home. Keep in mind that Santa Ana received a far more impressive city grade of B, so you should definitely look at some other options in the city. We wouldn't blame you if you are ready to stop reading and find another nursing home. However, if you want to learn more about this place's category grades, nursing grades are discussed in the next section.
French Park Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
Even though we gave this nursing home an abysmal overall grade, we gave it a grade of B- for our nursing category. Our nursing rating includes many subcategories, most of which are based on levels of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient per day. This is a lower figure than we are used to seeing. Lastly, our nursing grades also consider quality-based measures, such as preventing major falls. Despite not having the highest total nursing hours per resident, this facility performed admirably in the area of preventing major falls. This is often an indicator that a facility has quality controls in place. Some falls can be avoided if a facility provides enough nurses to assist its patients.
Long-term Care Quality
Remarkably, we awarded this nursing home a C for its long-term care score, which really isn't too bad of a score. For patients looking for a permanent place to live rather than skilled nursing, long-term care is an important category. One of the datapoints we considered on top of nurse's aid hours is vaccines. Fortunately, this nursing home administered the pneumonia vaccination to 100 percent of its patients. Finally, this place was also able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about French Park Care Center?
Unfortunately, this facility didn't receive glowing inspections in recent years. We gave it a grade of just D for our inspections rating. Our inspection ratings account for several factors found on a facility's inspection reports. Generally, you should be most cautious when considering a facility with severe deficiencies on its inspection reports. This particular facility had 7 deficiencies by CMS. The only favorable thing we found is that none of its deficiencies were in the categories that indicate that they created a threat to resident health or safety. Finally, this facility also received 17 substantiated complaints in recent years. This is yet another bad sign.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility's least impressive category was short-term care, which is the final category we analyzed. For this area, we awarded this nursing home a grade of just D. Short-term care ratings are based in part on a nursing home's quantity of highly-skilled skilled healthcare professionals. This means a vast scope of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, not to mention other types of therapy. With its grade in this category, we were not surprised to discover that this place was well below average in terms of its number of physical therapy and registered nurse hours offered to its residents based on the metrics we assessed. Finally, we considered the number of residents who ultimately returned home from this nursing home. This nursing home didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 4.7 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
French Park Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In French Park Care Center, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic is is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients which suffered from pressure ulcers. Many experts believe that pressure ulcers are a reliable barometer of quality of care.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In French Park Care Center, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients who suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injuries are often associated with lower levels of patient supervision. Better nursing protocols can limit the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In French Park Care Center, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This metric tells you the percentage of long-term care residents who experienced urinary tract infections. While more of these infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's nursing care, it is problematic to compare between facilities due to facilities having reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In French Park Care Center, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric measures the percentage of long-term residents taking antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to confirm these medications are being used appropriately. In limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may indicate a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In French Park Care Center, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic tells you the percentage of long-term care patients taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In French Park Care Center, 4.64% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In French Park Care Center, 95.44% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term patients that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In French Park Care Center, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and bathing. Some would argue this is a reasonable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In French Park Care Center, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who were able to retain mobility. Many in the industry argue that mobility is vital to residents' mental and physical well-being.
In French Park Care Center, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. Avoiding hospitalizations is key to preserving the physical health of nursing home patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In French Park Care Center, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In French Park Care Center, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to measure patient well-being during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In French Park Care Center, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percentage of short-term care residents who experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Santa Ana, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Santa Ana, California has 7 other nursing homes
- Orange County Global Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.62 miles away1001 North Tustin Avenue Santa Ana California 92705Proprietary(714) 953-3610
- St Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.87 miles away1100 West Stewart Dr Orange California 92868Voluntary non-profit - Church(714) 633-9111
- University of California Irvine Med CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.53 miles away101 City Drive South Orange California 92868Government - Local(714) 456-6112
- Chapman Global Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.97 miles away2601 E Chapman Ave Orange California 92869Proprietary(714) 633-0011
- Garden Grove Hospital & Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.26 miles away12601 Garden Grove Blvd Garden Grove California 92843Proprietary(714) 537-5160
- South Coast Global Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.35 miles away2701 S Bristol St Santa Ana California 92704Proprietary(714) 754-5454
- Fountain Valley Regional Hospital & Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.06 miles away17100 Euclid Street Fountain Valley California 92708Proprietary(714) 966-7200
- Memorialcare Orange Coast Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.48 miles away9920 Talbert Avenue Fountain Valley California 92708Proprietary(714) 378-7406
- St. Joseph Hospital Dialysis Center-Santa Ana1.38 miles away2212 E. 4th Street, Suite 101 Santa Ana California 92705CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (714) 571-7850
- Davita-Tustin Dialysis Center1.59 miles away2090 N. Tustin Avenue, Suite 100 Santa Ana California 92705CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (714) 835-2450
- Fmc-South Orange County1.61 miles away2020 E. First Street, Suite 100 Santa Ana California 92705CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (714) 972-1236
- Satellite Healthcare Orange1.76 miles away1518 W. La Veta Avenue Orange California 92868CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (714) 285-9675
- Davita-Tustin Ranch Dialysis1.88 miles away721 W 1st Street Tustin California 92780Dialysis Stations: 25 (714) 544-0079
- Davita-Main Place Dialysis Center2.23 miles away146 South Main Street Orange California 92868CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (714) 938-0870
- St. Joseph Hospital Renal Center2.28 miles awaySr. Elizabeth Bldg. 1100 W. Stewart Drive Orange California 92868CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 39 (714) 771-8037
- Fmc-University Dialysis Center of Orange2.34 miles away1809 W. Chapman Avenue Orange California 92868CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (714) 634-3583