Freedom Plaza Care Center is a nursing home in Peoria, Arizona, which has 158,093 people. It looks like this nursing home is one of the most elite nursing homes we found. A grade of this caliber requires excellent marks across the board. Based on our ratings, you can't go wrong with this nursing home. One of the best aspects of this facility's stellar report card is its short-term care score. We discuss short-term care in the next section.
Freedom Plaza Care Center
Updated May 1, 2022 by Sara Levinsohn
13714 North Plaza Del Rio Blvd,
Peoria AZ 85381
34.05% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
One of the reasons this turned out to be a great nursing home is that it earned an A+ short-term care grade. Our short-term care scores are based on the nursing home's quantity of highly-skilled skilled healthcare professionals. This means a wide range of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, not to mention other forms of therapy. This nursing home excelled at the highest level in two key staffing areas we looked at. The facility supplied about 50% more care from registered nurses and physical therapists than the typical facility. This is usually an encouraging sign. The last item we looked at in this category is the percentage of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We found that it fared as well as just about any facility in Arizona in this area with 76 percent of its residents returning home. For most nursing homes, fewer than half of their short-term residents are able to return home.
This nursing home also received an A+ nursing grade, making it one of the few nursing homes to receive multiple A+ category grades. Nursing ratings are largely tied to a nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home boasts a really impressive 6 hours of nursing care per resident on a daily basis, of which a significant percentage of those hours were provided by registered nurses. This is one of the more highly trained levels of nurses. On top of providing high levels of care, this place also performed well in several of the quality-based metrics we looked at. For example, in terms of the percentage of its patients suffering falls resulting in serious injury, this place performed as well as any nursing home the state. Avoiding serious falls is generally an indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can many times be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are employed.
Does this page answer your questions about Freedom Plaza Care Center?
Racking up another strong category grade, this facility also excelled in inspections, where it received an impressive grade of A. Few nursing homes fared better in this area. Our inspection scores are tied to many items found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places that receive favorable grades in this category tend to have few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these nursing homes generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. Although this facility had some deficiencies on its inspection report, none of them were serious based on CMS' deficiency scale. A few minor deficiencies are not necessarily the end of the world.
Long-term Care Quality
The next area we graded was long-term care, where this facility received a B. Although this wound up being its poorest category grade, this is still a good grade. When nursing homes receive a grade in this range in this category it typically means it's well-staffed and is an overall good place to reside on a permanent basis. After looking at the impressive nursing hours and other staffing provided by this nursing home, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination record. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its patients against pneumonia, which is much higher than the average nursing home. Finally, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Freedom Plaza Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Freedom Plaza Care Center, 8.93% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are routinely caused by residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Freedom Plaza Care Center, 2.27% of Patients had Serious Falls
This measures the percentage of long-term residents who have experienced falls leading to major injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls could be a sign of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Freedom Plaza Care Center, 1.6% of Patients had UTIs
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who have suffered from urinary tract infections. Although a higher rate infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's nursing care, it can be problematic to compare different facilities due to reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Freedom Plaza Care Center, 11.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents given antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many residents, it is important to ensure these medications are being used appropriately. In some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Freedom Plaza Care Center, 16.92% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are given to patients experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Freedom Plaza Care Center, 2.89% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term patients who are exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Freedom Plaza Care Center, 82.88% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home patients, making these vaccines critical to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Freedom Plaza Care Center, 12.86% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care patients that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and taking a bath. Some argue that this is a measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Freedom Plaza Care Center, 23.01% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients who maintained mobility.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Freedom Plaza Care Center, 23.01 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Freedom Plaza Care Center, 10.98 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Freedom Plaza Care Center, 73.79% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percent of short-term residents that saw functional improvements.
Scores for Peoria, AZ
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Peoria, Arizona has 5 other nursing homes
- Banner Boswell Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.46 miles away10401 West Thunderbird Boulevard Sun City Arizona 85351Voluntary non-profit - Other(623) 832-4000
- Abrazo Arrowhead CampusAcute Care Hospitals 4.46 miles away18701 North 67th Avenue Glendale Arizona 85308Proprietary(623) 561-1000
- Banner Thunderbird Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.55 miles away5555 West Thunderbird Road Glendale Arizona 85306Government - Hospital District or Authority(602) 865-4470
- Banner Del E. Webb Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.48 miles away14502 West Meeker Boulevard Sun City West Arizona 85375Voluntary non-profit - Private(623) 524-4000
- Banner Estrella Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.89 miles away9201 West Thomas Road Phoenix Arizona 85037Voluntary non-profit - Private(623) 327-4000
- Honorhealth Deer Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.97 miles away19829 North 27th Avenue Phoenix Arizona 85027Voluntary non-profit - Private(623) 879-6100
- Copper Springs Hospital, LLCPsychiatric 10.06 miles away10550 West Mcdowell Road Avondale Arizona 85392Proprietary(480) 565-3035
- Abrazo Central CampusAcute Care Hospitals 10.79 miles away2000 West Bethany Home Road Phoenix Arizona 85015Physician(602) 249-0212
- Phoenix Artificial Kidney Center (Fmc)0.39 miles away13090 N 94th Dr Ste 100 Peoria Arizona 85381CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (623) 974-5851
- Sweetwater Ridge Dialysis (Dva)0.41 miles away7362 W Thunderbird Rd Suite 104 Peoria Arizona 85381Dialysis Stations: 20 (623) 486-0327
- Sun City Dialysis (Fmc)1.33 miles away10050 W Bell Rd Ste 29-31 Sun City Arizona 85351Dialysis Stations: 12 (623) 815-1770
- Desert Dialysis Srvs Inc-Sun City (Dva)1.56 miles away13000 N 103rd Ave Ste 66 Sun City Arizona 85351CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (623) 583-3131
- Palm Brook Dialysis Center (Dva)2.06 miles away14664 N Del Webb Blvd Sun City Arizona 85351CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (623) 583-6550
- Arrowhead Dialysis (Fmc)4.32 miles away16844 N 59th Ave Glendale Arizona 85306Dialysis Stations: 13 (602) 439-8200
- Sun City West Dialysis (Fmc)4.37 miles away12213 W Bell Road Ste 110 Surprise Arizona 85374Dialysis Stations: 18 (623) 583-8865
- Thunderbird Dialysis (Fmc)4.4 miles away5750 W Thunderbird Rd Bldg G #750 Glendale Arizona 85306CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (602) 439-9502