Freedom Plaza Care Center is an average-sized nursing home located in Peoria, Arizona. It looks like this nursing home is among the highest-graded nursing homes we looked at. In fact, it received our absolute highest score. We were so impressed with this facility that we ranked it as one of the 25 best nursing homes in Arizona. Headlining this facility's exemplary profile is its nursing grade, which is addressed in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Freedom Plaza Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Peoria senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- No Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Top Nursing Home in Arizona Awards 2019
Top Nursing Home in Arizona Awards 2020
Registered Staff Hours
On top of being a first rate facility overall, this facility also excelled in the area of nursing, where it received an A+. Few nursing homes fared better in this category. We assessed the levels of nurses working for the facility, as well as the quantity of hours the nurses were with residents, in determining our rating in this category. This facility provided 0.6 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility Arizona in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can often be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as by employing a policy of moving a patient more frequently.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home also received an A+ for its short-term care grade. In computing our short-term care grades, we size up the nursing home's levels of highly skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists respiratory therapists and other highly skilled individuals. This area is often a useful measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation services. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. However, according to the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final metric we assessed in this category is the number of patients that were able to return home from the nursing home. We found that 7.1 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
Does this page answer your questions about Freedom Plaza Care Center?
Tallying another strong category grade, this nursing home also excelled in inspections, where it received an A. Few nursing homes performed better in this area. Inspection scores account for several factors included in a nursing home's inspection reports. One key criteria we look at is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Nursing homes with higher scores in this area typically have few of these severe deficiencies. Fortunately, although this facility had some minor dings on its government inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are labeled as categories G through L. This means CMS did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. A couple minor deficiencies aren't necessarily the end of the world.
Long-term Care Quality
In our final category, this nursing home also received an excellent long-term care score, with an A-. This finished off an elusive straight A profile. Nursing homes that do well in long-term care tend to be well-staffed and offer extensive hands on care to residents. Once we looked at the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination statistics. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its patients for pneumonia. Vaccines are vital to keeping patients healthy. Finally, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Freedom Plaza Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Freedom Plaza Care Center, 8.99% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are often caused by patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Freedom Plaza Care Center, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents that have had a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injury are considered by many experts to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . Major falls are routinely caused by poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Freedom Plaza Care Center, 1.4% of Patients had UTIs
This metric measures the percent of long-term patients who sustained urinary tract infections. Although more infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's nursing care, it is difficult to compare different facilities due to differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Freedom Plaza Care Center, 11.79% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are prescribed to residents for many conditions, including dementia. Unfortunately, in some situations, increased usage of these drugs may suggest that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Freedom Plaza Care Center, 17.9% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric tells you the percentage of long-term stay residents taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Freedom Plaza Care Center, 3.74% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term patients demonstrating signs of depression. Many in the industry would argue this is a measure of patient quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Freedom Plaza Care Center, 74.57% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Freedom Plaza Care Center, 12.93% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and using the bathroom.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Freedom Plaza Care Center, 15.66% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of residents who remained mobile levels over time. Preserving mobility is usually a great sign for residents' well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Freedom Plaza Care Center, 15.66 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Freedom Plaza Care Center, 11.86 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Freedom Plaza Care Center, 75.23% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term care residents that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Peoria, AZ
- Overall Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-plus
Looking for more options? Peoria, Arizona has 3 other nursing homes
- Banner Boswell Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.46 miles away10401 West Thunderbird Boulevard Sun City Arizona 85351Voluntary non-profit - Other(623) 832-4000
- Abrazo Arrowhead CampusAcute Care Hospitals 4.46 miles away18701 North 67th Avenue Glendale Arizona 85308Proprietary(623) 561-1000
- Banner Thunderbird Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.55 miles away5555 West Thunderbird Road Glendale Arizona 85306Government - Hospital District or Authority(602) 865-4470
- Banner Del E. Webb Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.48 miles away14502 West Meeker Boulevard Sun City West Arizona 85375Voluntary non-profit - Private(623) 524-4000
- Banner Estrella Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.89 miles away9201 West Thomas Road Phoenix Arizona 85037Voluntary non-profit - Private(623) 327-4000
- Honorhealth Deer Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.97 miles away19829 North 27th Avenue Phoenix Arizona 85027Voluntary non-profit - Private(623) 879-6100
- Copper Springs Hospital, LLCPsychiatric 10.06 miles away10550 West Mcdowell Road Avondale Arizona 85392Proprietary(480) 565-3035
- Abrazo Central CampusAcute Care Hospitals 10.79 miles away2000 West Bethany Home Road Phoenix Arizona 85015Physician(602) 249-0212
- Phoenix Artificial Kidney Center (Fmc)0.39 miles away13090 N 94th Dr Ste 100 Peoria Arizona 85381CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (623) 974-5851
- Sweetwater Ridge Dialysis (Dva)0.41 miles away7362 W Thunderbird Rd Suite 104 Peoria Arizona 85381Dialysis Stations: 20 (623) 486-0327
- Sun City Dialysis (Fmc)1.33 miles away10050 W Bell Rd Ste 29-31 Sun City Arizona 85351Dialysis Stations: 12 (623) 815-1770
- Desert Dialysis Srvs Inc-Sun City (Dva)1.56 miles away13000 N 103rd Ave Ste 66 Sun City Arizona 85351CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (623) 583-3131
- Palm Brook Dialysis Center (Dva)2.06 miles away14664 N Del Webb Blvd Sun City Arizona 85351CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (623) 583-6550
- Arrowhead Dialysis (Fmc)4.32 miles away16844 N 59th Ave Glendale Arizona 85306Dialysis Stations: 13 (602) 439-8200
- Sun City West Dialysis (Fmc)4.37 miles away12213 W Bell Road Ste 110 Surprise Arizona 85374Dialysis Stations: 18 (623) 583-8865
- Thunderbird Dialysis (Fmc)4.4 miles away5750 W Thunderbird Rd Bldg G #750 Glendale Arizona 85306CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (602) 439-9502