Peak Healthcare Frederick Villa is one of nine available facilities located in Catonsville, Maryland. This nursing home received an overall grade of D, which is a lower end rating. Catonsville received a city grade of B-, so there are some other options in the city worth looking at. If you aren't deterred by this place's profile, you can continue reading to find out about its category scores. We discuss inspections in the next section.
Peak Healthcare Frederick Villa
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
711 Academy Road,
Catonsville MD 21228
75.2% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
Although we didn't grade this nursing home favorably overall, we did give it an excellent grade in the category of inspections, where it earned an A-. Arguably the most significant factor we consider in computing our inspection ratings is deficiencies. These deficiencies can be found on a facility's recent inspection reports. It is typically best to avoid places that had a long list of severe deficiencies. While this facility had a few minor dings on its report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those found in categories G through L. This means the inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. A couple minor deficiencies are not the end of the world.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility's short-term care rating ended up being one of its higher features. The nursing home was awarded a B- in this category. In calculating these short-term care grades, we look at the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, respiratory therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. The goal is to create a measure for comparing the rehabilitation services of different nursing homes. We found that this place was below average in the two key staffing areas we focus on. The facility provided fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other facilities. Finally, we looked at the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 5.6 percent of this facility's residents returned home. At most facilities, closer to half of their residents are able to return home so this figure is below average.
Does this page answer your questions about Peak Healthcare Frederick Villa?
Long-term Care Quality
Moving on to the category of long-term care, this facility received a grade of just D in this category. Nursing homes that don't fare well in this category typically aren't as well-staffed and are lagging in a few of the areas of routine medical care we looked at. After considering the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination data. Frankly, we were a bit bothered by the fact that this facility vaccinated 83.16832 percent of its patients against pneumonia, which happens to be significantly less than what we expected. Surprisingly, this place was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this nursing home has less hospitalizations than most nursing homes. This is its best feature in this category.
Switching gears to our final area, we awarded this facility a D for our nursing category. This was the nursing home's least impressive category score. The nursing grade analyzes a handful of subcategories, however, the main one is the quantity of nurse hours spent with patients. With a meager 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient per day, this nursing home's nurse staffing levels were well below average. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This facility fared well when it comes to minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. Many consider these statistics to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Peak Healthcare Frederick Villa Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Peak Healthcare Frederick Villa, 10.24% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be an indicator of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are often the result of residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Peak Healthcare Frederick Villa, 2.73% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of residents who sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in major injury are routinely associated with poor nursing care. Better nursing protocols can limit the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Peak Healthcare Frederick Villa, 2.07% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients that have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered by many experts to be an indicator of nursing care . UTI's are often associated with a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. However, this datapoint can also be skewed for certain facilities due to different reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Peak Healthcare Frederick Villa, 13.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of long-term patients who are administered antipsychotic medication. Increased usage of these drugs may suggest a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior in situations where such drugs are not medically indicated. Nevertheless, some nursing homes need to rely more on these drugs due to having more residents suffering from dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Peak Healthcare Frederick Villa, 14.46% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric tells you the percentage of long-term care patients receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Peak Healthcare Frederick Villa, 10.18% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay patients demonstrating symptoms of depression. Many would argue that this is a reliable measure of patient quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Peak Healthcare Frederick Villa, 92.14% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Peak Healthcare Frederick Villa, 19.83% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with ADL's could be a sign of the decline of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Peak Healthcare Frederick Villa, 28.37% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percentage of long-term residents that maintained mobility. Some experts argue that mobility is critical to residents' physical and mental health.
In Peak Healthcare Frederick Villa, 1.1 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care. There is a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Peak Healthcare Frederick Villa, 28.37 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Peak Healthcare Frederick Villa, 8.93 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Peak Healthcare Frederick Villa, 74.3% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term stay residents who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Catonsville, MD
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Catonsville, Maryland has 8 other nursing homes
- Saint Agnes HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.8 miles away900 Caton Avenue Baltimore Maryland 21229Voluntary non-profit - Church(410) 368-2101
- Bon Secours HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.83 miles away2000 W Baltimore Street Baltimore Maryland 21223Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 362-3000
- University of Maryland Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.16 miles away22 South Greene Street Baltimore Maryland 21201Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 328-8667
- University of Md Medical Center Midtown CampusAcute Care Hospitals 5.4 miles away827 Linden Avenue Baltimore Maryland 21201Voluntary non-profit - Other(410) 225-8996
- Mercy Medical Center IncAcute Care Hospitals 5.71 miles away301 Saint Paul Place Baltimore Maryland 21202Voluntary non-profit - Church(410) 332-9237
- Sinai Hospital of BaltimoreAcute Care Hospitals 5.72 miles away2401 West Belvedere Avenue Baltimore Maryland 21215Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 601-5131
- Northwest Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.99 miles away5401 Old Court Road Randallstown Maryland 21133Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 521-2200
- Medstar Union Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.47 miles away201 East University Parkway Baltimore Maryland 21218Voluntary non-profit - Other(410) 554-2227
- Davita - Catonsville North Dialysis0.3 miles away5401 Baltimore National Pike Baltimore Maryland 21229Dialysis Stations: 21 (410) 869-4618
- Us Renal Care - West Baltimore1.63 miles away22 S Athol Ave Baltimore Maryland 21229Dialysis Stations: 15 (410) 947-3227
- Davita - Catonsville3.07 miles away1581 Sulphur Spring Rd Ste 112 Halethorpe Maryland 21227CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (410) 242-7766
- Kidney Home Center3.16 miles away2270 Rolling Run Drive Suite 600 Windsor Mill Maryland 21244Dialysis Stations: 21 (410) 265-0618
- Concerto Maryland, LLC3.33 miles away1531 S Edgewood St Suite 302 Halethorpe Maryland 21227Dialysis Stations: 2 (443) 364-4362
- Bon Secours Hospital3.91 miles awayRenal Dialysis Unit 2000 W Baltimore Street Baltimore Maryland 21223CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 35 (410) 362-3094
- Seton Drive Dialysis4.06 miles away4800 Seton Drive Baltimore Maryland 21215CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (410) 585-0446
- Davita - Windsor Dialysis4.25 miles away2707 Rolling Rd Stes 104-105 Windsor Mill Maryland 21244CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (410) 944-2649