Franklin Plaza Extended Care is located in Cleveland, Ohio, which appears to have more than 20 nursing homes. Sporting an overall score of B-, this is likely a decent nursing home. Based on our ratings, this nursing home has some redeeming qualities. This place is better in some categories than others, but it did not have any bad scores in any of our major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Franklin Plaza Extended Care
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
3600 Franklin Boulevard,
Cleveland OH 44113
90% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
To pair with its relatively modest overall score, we gave this facility an A- for its inspection grade. This grade is far better than the facility's overall grade. Our inspection scores account for a host of factors found on a facility's inspection reports. One key criteria we rely on is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Places with higher grades in this area generally have very few of these severe deficiencies. This facility was assessed 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none were considered to be severe. This indicates that CMS did not deem any of these deficiencies to create an immediate risk to patient health or safety. A couple minor dings aren't necessarily something to panic about.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility also was given an impressive short-term care grade. As a matter of fact, we awarded them a B in this category, which happens to be one of our better. In determining our short-term care grades, we assess the facility's levels of skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists speech therapists and other licensed professionals. This rating is more often than not a meaningful measure of the facility's rehabilitation services. We were pleased to find that this nursing home employs both registered nurses and physical therapists. The same can't be said for all nursing homes. The last item we looked at in this category is the number of residents who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. This place was above average in this area with 55.3 percent of its patients returning home.
Does this page answer your questions about Franklin Plaza Extended Care?
We also gave this nursing home a decent score in the category of nursing care, with a grade of B-. Nursing scores are based largely on levels of nurse staffing. This particular nursing home provided 3.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based measures, such as avoiding major falls. This place performed admirably in this area. Avoiding serious falls is often a good indicator that a nursing home has quality controls in place. Many falls can be prevented if a facility provides enough nurses aids to assist its patients.
Long-term Care Quality
Moving on to our final category, this nursing home was awarded a grade of C for long-term care, which is an acceptable rating. For patients in need of a permanent residence rather than skilled nursing, long-term care grades are a key measure. After assessing the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination records. We were pleased to find that this nursing home vaccinated 99.7955 percent of its residents against pneumonia. This place was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Franklin Plaza Extended Care Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Franklin Plaza Extended Care, 7.8% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is an indication of the percentage of long-term care residents that suffer from pressure ulcers. We've found that pressure ulcers are an barometer of nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Franklin Plaza Extended Care, 3.62% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of patients who have had a fall which resulted in severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Franklin Plaza Extended Care, 1.75% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often associated with nursing homes with worse hygiene protocols. More frequent bathing reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. We want to point out that this statistic is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have varying reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Franklin Plaza Extended Care, 12.79% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications may be helpful for many residents, it is important to make sure these medications are being used only where medically required. In some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Franklin Plaza Extended Care, 22.34% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are administered to patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Franklin Plaza Extended Care, 19.84% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who are showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Franklin Plaza Extended Care, 90.11% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Franklin Plaza Extended Care, 15.05% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Franklin Plaza Extended Care, 18.59% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents that were able to retain mobility. Some believe that mobility is important for residents' well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Franklin Plaza Extended Care, 18.59 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Franklin Plaza Extended Care, 11.79 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Franklin Plaza Extended Care, 74.53% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percent of short-term patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some experts argue this is a reliable measure of a facility's rehabilitation services.
Scores for Cleveland, OH
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Cleveland, Ohio has 33 other nursing homes
- Lutheran HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.37 miles away1730 West 25th Street Cleveland Ohio 44113Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 696-4300
- Metrohealth SystemAcute Care Hospitals 1.84 miles away2500 Metrohealth Drive Cleveland Ohio 44109Voluntary non-profit - Other(216) 778-7089
- St Vincent Charity Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.1 miles away2351 East 22nd Street Cleveland Ohio 44115Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 861-6200
- Cleveland ClinicAcute Care Hospitals 4.87 miles away9500 Euclid Avenue Cleveland Ohio 44195Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 445-8400
- Rainbow Babies and Childrens HospitalChildrens 5.65 miles away11100 Euclid Avenue Cleveland Ohio 44106Voluntary non-profit - Other(216) 844-1000
- Uh Cleveland Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.65 miles away11100 Euclid Avenue Cleveland Ohio 44106Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 844-1000
- Fairview HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.13 miles away18101 Lorain Avenue Cleveland Ohio 44111Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 476-7000
- Marymount HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.36 miles away12300 Mccracken Road Cleveland Ohio 44125Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 581-0500
- Davita - Detroit Road Dialysis1.4 miles away7901 Detroit Avenue Cleveland Ohio 44102Dialysis Stations: 23 (216) 961-6498
- Fmc - Farnsworth Dialysis1.62 miles away3280 W 25th St Cleveland Ohio 44109CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (216) 739-0500
- Community Dialysis Center1.69 miles away3330 West 25th Cleveland Ohio 44109CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (216) 741-5776
- Davita - St Vincent Quadrangle Dialysis2.16 miles away2302 Community College Avenue Cleveland Ohio 44115Dialysis Stations: 13 (216) 574-4805
- Fmc - Lakewood Ohio Dialysis3.9 miles away13900 Detroit Avenue Lakewood Ohio 44107Dialysis Stations: 12 (216) 221-3034
- Davita - Ridge Park Dialysis4.19 miles away4805 Pearl Road Cleveland Ohio 44109CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (216) 398-6029
- Comunity Dialysis Center4.42 miles away1370 Addison Road Cleveland Ohio 44103CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (216) 431-0668
- University Hospitals of Cleveland - Dialysis4.88 miles away11100 Euclid Avenue, Suite 2100 Cleveland Ohio 44106Dialysis Stations: 20 (216) 844-1585