Franklin Plaza Extended Care is a large nursing home in Cleveland, Ohio. With an overall score of C, this is likely a decent nursing home. This grade was right in line with the city grade in Cleveland, which admittedly is admittedly a little below average nationally. This facility did not fare well in all of our categories, but it did not receive any rock-bottom grades either. Additional information about its category grades can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Franklin Plaza Extended Care
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Cleveland senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a respectable facility overall, this place really excelled in the category of inspections, where it earned a grade of A-. Few facilities performed better in this category. Our inspection ratings account for a host of factors found on a nursing home's inspection reports. One key criteria we rely on is the number and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with better grades in this area generally have very few severe deficiencies. This nursing home was hit with 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe. This tells you that the government inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies to cause an immediate threat to patient health or safety. A couple minor deficiencies shouldn't lead you to cross a nursing home off your list.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's second most favorable area was short-term care. In that category, we gave this facility a B-. Short-term care grades are typically used to score a nursing home's rehabilitation services. To provide highly scored rehabilitation services, facilities generally must have higher levels of skilled nursing services. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists and other highly trained professionals. We were surprised to find that this nursing home was below average in the two key staffing areas we looked at. The facility offered fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other nursing homes. It is still important to determine whether this is adversely impacting the quality of care. The last measure we looked at in this category is the percentage of patients who ultimately returned home from the nursing home. We found that just 5.6 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Franklin Plaza Extended Care?
The next highest grade we gave this nursing home in any area came in the category of nursing, where we gave it a grade of C. There are quite a few subcategories within this category. Many of the datapoints are tied to levels of nurse staffing. This nursing home provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a relatively low total compared with most facilities. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality measures. While this place got docked a bit for nursing hours, it excelled in a few of these quality measures. With fewer than five percent of its patients suffering from pressure ulcers, it fared remarkably well in this subcategory. This can be a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can many times be avoided by offering better nursing care, such as employing a system of moving a patient more often.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home's worst area was long-term care, which is the last area we scored. For this area, we gave this nursing home a grade of just D. For prospective residents in need of a permanent place to live rather than rehabilitation, long-term care grades are very important. One of the criteria we considered in addition to nurse's aid hours was vaccinations. Fortunately, this nursing home administered the pneumonia vaccination to 97.27273 percent of its residents. Surprisingly, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this facility had less hospitalizations than the average nursing home. Unfortunately, some of its other scores in this category weren't as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Franklin Plaza Extended Care Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Franklin Plaza Extended Care, 7.28% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are routinely caused by residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing care limits the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Franklin Plaza Extended Care, 1.27% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of long-term care residents which have experienced falls which resulted in severe injury. This is one of the statistics we use in calculating our nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Franklin Plaza Extended Care, 1.09% of Patients had UTIs
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. While a higher rate infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's hygiene protocols, it can be difficult to compare different nursing homes due to varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Franklin Plaza Extended Care, 4.97% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. These drugs may be used for treating a variety of medical conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Franklin Plaza Extended Care, 9.4% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric is an indication of the percent of long-term stay residents that are administered antianxiety medication. These drugs are generally given to residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Franklin Plaza Extended Care, 34.13% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who are exhibiting symptoms of depression. Higher levels of depression may reveal lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Franklin Plaza Extended Care, 95.88% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Franklin Plaza Extended Care, 12.18% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term patients who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Franklin Plaza Extended Care, 14.49% of Residents
Measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who retained mobility levels.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Franklin Plaza Extended Care, 14.49% of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is key to restoring the health of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Franklin Plaza Extended Care, 11.75% of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Franklin Plaza Extended Care, 62.46% of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term care patients who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of independence with activities of daily living usually correlates with superior rehabilitation services.
Scores for Cleveland, OH
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Cleveland, Ohio has 24 other nursing homes
- Lutheran HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.37 miles away1730 West 25th Street Cleveland Ohio 44113Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 696-4300
- Metrohealth SystemAcute Care Hospitals 1.84 miles away2500 Metrohealth Drive Cleveland Ohio 44109Voluntary non-profit - Other(216) 778-7089
- St Vincent Charity Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.1 miles away2351 East 22nd Street Cleveland Ohio 44115Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 861-6200
- Cleveland ClinicAcute Care Hospitals 4.87 miles away9500 Euclid Avenue Cleveland Ohio 44195Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 445-8400
- Rainbow Babies and Childrens HospitalChildrens 5.65 miles away11100 Euclid Avenue Cleveland Ohio 44106Voluntary non-profit - Other(216) 844-1000
- Uh Cleveland Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.65 miles away11100 Euclid Avenue Cleveland Ohio 44106Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 844-1000
- Fairview HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.13 miles away18101 Lorain Avenue Cleveland Ohio 44111Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 476-7000
- Marymount HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.36 miles away12300 Mccracken Road Cleveland Ohio 44125Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 581-0500
- Davita - Detroit Road Dialysis1.4 miles away7901 Detroit Avenue Cleveland Ohio 44102Dialysis Stations: 23 (216) 961-6498
- Fmc - Farnsworth Dialysis1.62 miles away3280 W 25th St Cleveland Ohio 44109CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (216) 739-0500
- Community Dialysis Center1.69 miles away3330 West 25th Cleveland Ohio 44109CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (216) 741-5776
- Davita - St Vincent Quadrangle Dialysis2.16 miles away2302 Community College Avenue Cleveland Ohio 44115Dialysis Stations: 13 (216) 574-4805
- Fmc - Lakewood Ohio Dialysis3.9 miles away13900 Detroit Avenue Lakewood Ohio 44107Dialysis Stations: 12 (216) 221-3034
- Davita - Ridge Park Dialysis4.19 miles away4805 Pearl Road Cleveland Ohio 44109CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (216) 398-6029
- Comunity Dialysis Center4.42 miles away1370 Addison Road Cleveland Ohio 44103CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (216) 431-0668
- University Hospitals of Cleveland - Dialysis4.88 miles away11100 Euclid Avenue, Suite 2100 Cleveland Ohio 44106Dialysis Stations: 20 (216) 844-1585