Franciscan Health Care Center is an average-sized nursing home in Louisville, Kentucky. It looks like this is a quality nursing home. We gave this it an overall grade of B+, which is very good grade. We were pleased to find out that this was in line with the other nursing homes in Louisville, which is one of the better cities in Kentucky to find a nursing home. This place's impressive report card was highlighted by its inspection score, which we will address in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Franciscan Health Care Center
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
- Adult Day Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Louisville senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Top Nursing Home in Kentucky Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
On top of receiving a strong overall grade, this nursing home received an A+ inspection rating. This is based on its recent inspection reports. An A+ in this category is one of the best complements we can pay to a nursing home. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in determining these inspection grades. One critical factor is deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the quantity of deficiencies, as some can be quite insignificant. While this place had a few minor dings on its inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you that the inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Among the reasons we graded this facility so highly is that it was awarded a favorable long-term care grade. Indeed, long-term care is its second best category grade. In that category, we awarded this facility a score of A-. Facilities that receive this kind of score in long-term care tend to provide consistent around the clock care to ensure patients are well cared for. One of the criteria we considered in addition to nursing hours is vaccinations. This nursing home provided the pneumonia vaccine to 100 percent of its residents. Vaccination is a proven method to minimize unnecessary deaths for the senior population. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Franciscan Health Care Center?
Short-term Care Quality
The third area we looked at is short-term care. This facility was given a superb short-term care score. We awarded them a strong strong of A- in this area. Short-term care ratings are crucial for individuals looking for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually utilizes additional highly-skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing means a vast spectrum of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. Unfortunately, we weren't able to find information on registered nurse or physical therapy staffing for this nursing home. Finally, we considered the number of residents that returned home from this nursing home. We found that 6.3 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
This nursing home's weakest category was nursing, which is the final category we scored. In this category, we gave this facility a grade of D. We would like to to point out this possible weakness, but you shouldn't focus exclusively on a single weak area either. Nursing grades are heavily correlated with quantity of nursing care available. This nursing home averaged a meager 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient each day. This is an alarmingly low total. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in calculating our nursing ratings. This facility performed well in terms of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. Many consider these areas to be indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Franciscan Health Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Franciscan Health Care Center, 9.26% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents who are suffering from new or worsened pressure ulcers. We have found that pressure ulcers are a great indicator of quality of care.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Franciscan Health Care Center, 3.96% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who had a fall resulting in serious injury. We use this statistic in calculating nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Franciscan Health Care Center, 3.13% of Patients had UTIs
This figure is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents that have sustained a UTI. UTI's could be an indicator of lower quality nursing care. Nevertheless, this statistic could be misleading for certain nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Franciscan Health Care Center, 16.59% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are administered to residents for a variety of medical conditions, including dementia. Sadly, in some situations, excessive reliance on these medications may mean that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Franciscan Health Care Center, 29.93% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint tells you the percent of long-term patients who are prescribed antianxiety medication. These medications are typically prescribed to patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Franciscan Health Care Center, 8.23% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents showing depressive symptoms. High rates of depression could reveal worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Franciscan Health Care Center, 89.41% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Franciscan Health Care Center, 16.24% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and taking a bath.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Franciscan Health Care Center, 15.8% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percent of long-term care residents that retained mobility levels. Some experts argue that the ability to move around is vital to residents' well-being.
In Franciscan Health Care Center, 1.79 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Franciscan Health Care Center, 15.8 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Franciscan Health Care Center, 13.87 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Franciscan Health Care Center, 72.54% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of performance with ADL's often correlates with successful rehabilitation services.
Scores for Louisville, KY
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Louisville, Kentucky has 22 other nursing homes
- Baptist Health LouisvilleAcute Care Hospitals 6.37 miles away4000 Kresge Way Louisville Kentucky 40207Voluntary non-profit - Private(502) 897-8100
- University of Louisville HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.83 miles away530 South Jackson Street Louisville Kentucky 40202Voluntary non-profit - Private(502) 562-3000
- Norton Hospital / Norton Healthcare Pavilion / NorAcute Care Hospitals 6.96 miles away200 East Chestnut Street Louisville Kentucky 40202Voluntary non-profit - Private(502) 629-8000
- Jewish Hospital & St Mary's HealthcareAcute Care Hospitals 7.02 miles away200 Abraham Flexner Way Louisville Kentucky 40202Voluntary non-profit - Private(502) 587-4011
- Clark Memorial HealthAcute Care Hospitals 9.12 miles away1220 Missouri Ave Jeffersonville Indiana 47130Voluntary non-profit - Other(812) 283-2147
- The Brook Hospital - KmiPsychiatric 9.31 miles away8521 Lagrange Road Louisville Kentucky 40242Government - Federal(502) 426-6380
- Wellstone Regional HospitalPsychiatric 11.86 miles away2700 Vissing Park Rd Jeffersonville Indiana 47130Proprietary(812) 284-8000
- Baptist Health FloydAcute Care Hospitals 12.44 miles away1850 State St New Albany Indiana 47150Voluntary non-profit - Private(812) 944-7701
- Fmc-South Central Louisville1.94 miles away8319 Preston Highway Suite C,D,E Louisville Kentucky 40219CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (502) 968-2225
- University Kidney Center - Broadway3.16 miles away2821 W Broadway Louisville Kentucky 40211CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (502) 774-8516
- University Kidney Center Hikes Lane LLC3.5 miles away2271 Hikes Lane Louisville Kentucky 40218CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (502) 459-5786
- Fmc - Dialysis Services of Audubon4.34 miles away2355 Poplar Level Road, Suite G 2-10 Louisville Kentucky 40217Dialysis Stations: 25 (502) 637-1771
- Fmc - Kentuckiana Home Therapies5.67 miles away6400 Dutchmans Parkway, Ste. 145 Louisville Kentucky 40205Dialysis Stations: 6 (502) 895-7650
- University Kidney Center Bluegrass, LLC5.89 miles away1935 Bluegrass Ave., Suite 100 Louisville Kentucky 40215Dialysis Stations: 16 (502) 368-5843
- Fmc - Suburban6.25 miles away3991 Dutchmans Lane Suite G-02 Louisville Kentucky 40207CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (502) 895-2217
- Fmc - East Louisville6.53 miles away6455 Bardstown Road Louisville Kentucky 40291CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (502) 239-8221