With an address in Toledo, Ohio, Franciscan Care Center Sylvania is one of six facilities there. This proved to be a middle of the road facility, with an overall grade of C. At the end of the day, this place is a good fit for quite a few people. One of the better aspects of this facility's profile is its strong inspection grade, which you can find in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Franciscan Care Center Sylvania
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Toledo senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
One of the reasons this ended up being a decent nursing home is it received a very favorable inspection grade. In that category, we gave this facility a B+. Arguably the most critical factor we consider in computing our inspection grades is deficiencies. These deficiencies can be found on a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities with higher grades in this category typically avoided the most severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Based on this, we still had positive view of this nursing home's recent inspections.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home also received a positive score in our short-term care category. We awarded this facility an above average grade of B+ in that category. In the category of short-term care, we seek to evaluate measures of a facility's rehabilitation services. We analyze the facility's skilled nursing services, including the ones performed by registered nurses and physical and occupational therapists. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. However, based on the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final datapoint we assessed in this category is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return home. We discovered that 6.1 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home.
Does this page answer your questions about Franciscan Care Center Sylvania?
This facility's next best category was its nursing grade, where it received a grade of B-. There are a variety of factors within this area. Most of these factors relate to nurse staffing. This nursing home provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident daily. This figure is far below average. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this place excelled in some of the quality-based metrics we looked at. In fact, it scored well in terms of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good measures of the quality of nursing care. In some cases, the quality of nursing care is as important as the quantity of hours of care provided.
Long-term Care Quality
The next category we graded is long-term care. We gave it a lowly F for this area, which is a poor grade. This is obviously a major concern. Facilities that receive this type of grade in long-term care likely don't provide the type of consistent 24/7 care that some other facilities offer. After considering the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we then looked at the nursing home's vaccination records. Candidly, we were a bit bothered by the fact that this facility vaccinated 86.57407 percent of its patients against pneumonia, which is significantly lower than the national average. Surprisingly, this place was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this nursing home had less hospitalizations than most nursing homes. This is its best feature in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Franciscan Care Center Sylvania Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Franciscan Care Center Sylvania, 7.3% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin due to staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Franciscan Care Center Sylvania, 3.68% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint tells you the percent of long-term residents which sustained a fall which caused major injury. We use this statistic in computing nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Franciscan Care Center Sylvania, 1.34% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are often caused by poor nursing care. Nevertheless, this metric could also be misleading for some facilities due to different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Franciscan Care Center Sylvania, 12.59% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who are prescribed antipsychotic medication. Increased usage of these drugs may indicate a facility is using these medications to subdue residents in scenarios where such medications are not medically indicated. Nevertheless, some nursing homes need to rely more on these drugs due to having more residents with cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Franciscan Care Center Sylvania, 21.99% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of residents given antianxiety drugs. These drugs are typically prescribed to residents experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Franciscan Care Center Sylvania, 21.39% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who are showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Franciscan Care Center Sylvania, 88.91% of Patients
This is the percent of residents that were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Franciscan Care Center Sylvania, 14.84% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with ADL's could be a sign of the deterioration of a patient's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Franciscan Care Center Sylvania, 12.66% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percentage of long-term stay residents that retained mobility levels. Many in the industry believe that the ability to move around is vital to residents' physical and mental health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Franciscan Care Center Sylvania, 12.66 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Franciscan Care Center Sylvania, 12.98 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Franciscan Care Center Sylvania, 75.85% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percent of short-term care patients who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many in the industry would argue that this is a reliable measure of rehabilitation services.
Scores for Toledo, OH
- Overall Rating has a grade of F
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of F
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Toledo, Ohio has 5 other nursing homes
- Mercy St Anne HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.13 miles away3404 Sylvania Avenue Toledo Ohio 43623Voluntary non-profit - Church(419) 407-2663
- Toledo Hospital TheAcute Care Hospitals 4.91 miles away2142 North Cove Boulevard Toledo Ohio 43606Voluntary non-profit - Private(419) 291-7463
- University of Toledo Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.12 miles away3000 Arlington Avenue Toledo Ohio 43699Government - State(419) 383-4848
- Northwest Ohio Psychiatric HospitalPsychiatric 6.66 miles away930 South Detroit Avenue Toledo Ohio 43614Government - State(419) 381-1881
- Mercy Health St Vincent Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.59 miles away2213 Cherry Street Toledo Ohio 43608Voluntary non-profit - Church(419) 251-3232
- St Luke's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.28 miles away5901 Monclova Road Maumee Ohio 43537Voluntary non-profit - Other(419) 893-5900
- Bay Park Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.8 miles away2801 Bay Park Drive Oregon Ohio 43616Voluntary non-profit - Other(419) 690-7700
- Dialysis Centers of Greater Toledo0.62 miles away7635 W. Sylvania Avenue Sylvania Ohio 43560Dialysis Stations: 15 (419) 517-2002
- Davita - Flower Dialysis1.32 miles away5308 Harroun Rd., Suite 60 Sylvania Ohio 43560Dialysis Stations: 12 (419) 824-6074
- Dialysis Center of Northwest Ohio, Ltd.2.21 miles away2249 North Reynolds Road Toledo Ohio 43615CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (419) 535-7415
- Us Renal Care Northwest Ohio Dialysis2.58 miles away3829 Woodley Road Suite C-12 Toledo Ohio 43606Dialysis Stations: 15 (419) 473-9900
- Fresenius Kidney Care Westgate2.88 miles away3546 West Sylvania Avenue Toledo Ohio 43623Dialysis Stations: 13 (419) 474-3379
- Fmc - Toledo Central Dialysis3.58 miles away3100 West Central Avenue, Suite 100 Toledo Ohio 43606CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (419) 539-4000
- Davita - West Toledo3.7 miles away2900 Carrskadon Avenue Toledo Ohio 43606Dialysis Stations: 17 (419) 531-0755
- Fmc - Toledo Laskey Dialysis4.28 miles away2532 W. Laskey Road Toledo Ohio 43613CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (419) 474-8995