Franciscan Care Center Sylvania is located in Toledo, Ohio. The city provides a variety of available nursing homes. This facility received an alarming overall grade based on the data we assessed. At the end of the day, you'd be better off to steer clear of this place. Despite all this, one of the few highlights of this facility's profile is its strong inspection grade. You can scroll down to learn more about inspections and other category grades
Franciscan Care Center Sylvania
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
While we gave this place a terrible overall grade, we awarded it a B for our inspections rating. This is due to the nursing home receiving a decent inspection report this year. Our inspection scores account for a host of factors included in a nursing home's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we look at is the number and severity of deficiencies. You generally want to avoid facilities with too many severe deficiencies flagged. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. In spite of this deficiency, this was still a relatively positive report.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility also didn't grade out poorly in the category of short-term care. Indeed, we gave it a B- in that category, which happens to be another one of its higher scores. Our short-term care scores are likely more important for residents in need of rehabilitation from their nursing home. Rehabilitation typically utilizes additional skilled nursing services. This means not only nursing services, but also physical and occupational therapy, as well as other types of therapy. Unfortunately, we found that this facility provided fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other facilities. Finally, we assessed the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 6.2 percent of this facility's residents returned home. At most nursing homes, closer to half of their patients are able to return home so this figure is below average.
Does this page answer your questions about Franciscan Care Center Sylvania?
We also wanted to point out that this nursing home received an F for its nursing grade. Our nursing grade consists of many datapoints, but the paramount consideration is the quantity of nurse hours spent with patients. This nursing home offered only 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident each day. This is well below average. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in computing our nursing grades. This place fared well in terms of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. Many consider these metrics to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
The last area we graded is long-term care. This facility received a bottom of the barrel grade of F in that category. Facilities that don't fare well in long-term care typically aren't as well-staffed and are lagging in some of the areas of routine medical care we looked at. After looking at the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination statistics. Candidly, we were a bit bothered by the fact that this facility vaccinated 83.8428 percent of its patients against pneumonia, which is quite a few points less than the national average. Surprisingly, this facility was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this facility had fewer hospitalizations than the average nursing home. This is its best score in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Franciscan Care Center Sylvania Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Franciscan Care Center Sylvania, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic gauges the percent of long-term care residents who have pressure ulcers. We have found that pressure ulcers are a reliable measure of the quality of nursing care a nursing home provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Franciscan Care Center Sylvania, 3.69% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients that have had a major fall. Falls leading to severe injury are considered to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. Falls are routinely caused by poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Franciscan Care Center Sylvania, 1.8% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of patients that have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often linked to poor nursing care. Better hygiene protocols can minimize the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. Note that this datapoint is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Franciscan Care Center Sylvania, 13.22% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are given to residents for many medical conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias. Unfortunately, in limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Franciscan Care Center Sylvania, 22.35% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients given antianxiety drugs. These drugs are commonly used to treat patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Franciscan Care Center Sylvania, 20% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents showing symptoms of depression. High rates of depression could be an indicator lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Franciscan Care Center Sylvania, 90.19% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay residents that were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for seniors, making these types of vaccines critical to patient well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Franciscan Care Center Sylvania, 15.17% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of residents that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with ADL's may be a sign of the erosion of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Franciscan Care Center Sylvania, 18.5% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of patients who retained mobility levels over time. Preserving mobility is usually a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Franciscan Care Center Sylvania, 1.39 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Avoiding the hospital is key to the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Franciscan Care Center Sylvania, 18.5 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Franciscan Care Center Sylvania, 11.81 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Franciscan Care Center Sylvania, 74.54% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term patients that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of independence with activities of daily living often correlates with superior rehabilitation.
Scores for Toledo, OH
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Toledo, Ohio has 15 other nursing homes
- Mercy St Anne HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.13 miles away3404 Sylvania Avenue Toledo Ohio 43623Voluntary non-profit - Church(419) 407-2663
- Toledo Hospital TheAcute Care Hospitals 4.91 miles away2142 North Cove Boulevard Toledo Ohio 43606Voluntary non-profit - Private(419) 291-7463
- University of Toledo Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.12 miles away3000 Arlington Avenue Toledo Ohio 43699Government - State(419) 383-4848
- Northwest Ohio Psychiatric HospitalPsychiatric 6.66 miles away930 South Detroit Avenue Toledo Ohio 43614Government - State(419) 381-1881
- Mercy Health St Vincent Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.59 miles away2213 Cherry Street Toledo Ohio 43608Voluntary non-profit - Church(419) 251-3232
- St Luke's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.28 miles away5901 Monclova Road Maumee Ohio 43537Voluntary non-profit - Other(419) 893-5900
- Bay Park Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.8 miles away2801 Bay Park Drive Oregon Ohio 43616Voluntary non-profit - Other(419) 690-7700
- Dialysis Centers of Greater Toledo0.62 miles away7635 W. Sylvania Avenue Sylvania Ohio 43560Dialysis Stations: 15 (419) 517-2002
- Davita - Flower Dialysis1.32 miles away5308 Harroun Rd., Suite 60 Sylvania Ohio 43560Dialysis Stations: 12 (419) 824-6074
- Dialysis Center of Northwest Ohio, Ltd.2.21 miles away2249 North Reynolds Road Toledo Ohio 43615CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (419) 535-7415
- Us Renal Care Northwest Ohio Dialysis2.58 miles away3829 Woodley Road Suite C-12 Toledo Ohio 43606Dialysis Stations: 15 (419) 473-9900
- Fresenius Kidney Care Westgate2.88 miles away3546 West Sylvania Avenue Toledo Ohio 43623Dialysis Stations: 13 (419) 474-3379
- Fmc - Toledo Central Dialysis3.58 miles away3100 West Central Avenue, Suite 100 Toledo Ohio 43606CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (419) 539-4000
- Davita - West Toledo3.7 miles away2900 Carrskadon Avenue Toledo Ohio 43606Dialysis Stations: 17 (419) 531-0755
- Fmc - Toledo Laskey Dialysis4.28 miles away2532 W. Laskey Road Toledo Ohio 43613CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (419) 474-8995