Franciscan Care Center Sylvania is located in Toledo, Ohio. The city provides a variety of available nursing homes. This facility received a concerning overall grade of D in our grading scheme. As far as we can see, we'd struggle to recommend this place. Despite all this, one of the few highlights of this facility's profile is its impressive inspection reports. You can continue reading to find out about inspections and other category grades
Franciscan Care Center Sylvania
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
Although we didn't give this nursing home a good overall score, we actually gave it a relatively strong grade in the category of inspections, where it received a B. Perhaps the most significant factor we consider in determining our inspection scores is deficiencies. These deficiencies can be found on a nursing home's recent inspection reports. It is typically in your best interest to avoid nursing homes that had too many severe deficiencies. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Even with this deficiency, this place still had a relatively positive inspection report.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's second best area is short-term care. We gave it a B- in this category. This is essentially a middle of the pack grade in this area. Our short-term care grades are crucial for residents seeking rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically mandates additional skilled nursing. Skilled nursing means a broad spectrum of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. Unfortunately, we found that this place provided fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other nursing homes. The last metric we looked at in this area is the number of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return home. We discovered that just 6.1 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home, which is actually below average.
Does this page answer your questions about Franciscan Care Center Sylvania?
We gave this facility a grade of just D for our nursing rating. The nursing grade includes many factors, many of which are associated with quantities of nurse staffing. With just 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient each day, this facility's nurse staffing levels were significantly below the national average. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing scores. This facility fared well in the area of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. Many consider these statistics to be good measures of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
The last category we looked at is long-term care. This facility received a poor grade of F in that category. When facilities receive this kind of grade in long-term care it is typically a bad sign for patient care and it may mean that the place is not as well-staffed with nurses and aids. On top of looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. As it turns out, this facility gave the vaccine to only 83.333336 percent of its patients, which is not a very encouraging sign. To our surprise, this nursing home was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this nursing home has less hospitalizations than many nursing homes. This was its best feature in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Franciscan Care Center Sylvania Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Franciscan Care Center Sylvania, 7.61% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a measure of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are routinely caused by residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Franciscan Care Center Sylvania, 3.74% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents who have had a fall which caused severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Franciscan Care Center Sylvania, 1.71% of Patients had UTIs
This figure gauges the percentage of long-term stay residents who experienced UTI's. While a higher rate infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's cleanliness, it is problematic to compare different nursing homes due to differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Franciscan Care Center Sylvania, 13.23% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric measures the percent of long-term residents that were given antipsychotic drugs. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents in situations where such medications are not medically indicated. However, some nursing homes need to rely more on these drugs due to having more residents suffering from cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Franciscan Care Center Sylvania, 22.46% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients given antianxiety medications. These medications are commonly prescribed to residents experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Franciscan Care Center Sylvania, 20.26% of Patients
This is the percent of patients who are exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Franciscan Care Center Sylvania, 90.12% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Franciscan Care Center Sylvania, 14.88% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay residents that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and continence. Some experts argue that this is a measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Franciscan Care Center Sylvania, 16.29% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of patients that retained mobility levels over time. Retaining mobility is usually a great sign for residents' health.
In Franciscan Care Center Sylvania, 1.36 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. Minimizing hospitalizations is critical to maintaining the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Franciscan Care Center Sylvania, 16.29 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Franciscan Care Center Sylvania, 12 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to gauge the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Franciscan Care Center Sylvania, 75.25% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percent of short-term stay residents who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many argue that this is a reasonable measure of a facility's rehabilitation services.
Scores for Toledo, OH
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Toledo, Ohio has 15 other nursing homes
- Mercy St Anne HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.13 miles away3404 Sylvania Avenue Toledo Ohio 43623Voluntary non-profit - Church(419) 407-2663
- Toledo Hospital TheAcute Care Hospitals 4.91 miles away2142 North Cove Boulevard Toledo Ohio 43606Voluntary non-profit - Private(419) 291-7463
- University of Toledo Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.12 miles away3000 Arlington Avenue Toledo Ohio 43699Government - State(419) 383-4848
- Northwest Ohio Psychiatric HospitalPsychiatric 6.66 miles away930 South Detroit Avenue Toledo Ohio 43614Government - State(419) 381-1881
- Mercy Health St Vincent Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.59 miles away2213 Cherry Street Toledo Ohio 43608Voluntary non-profit - Church(419) 251-3232
- St Luke's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.28 miles away5901 Monclova Road Maumee Ohio 43537Voluntary non-profit - Other(419) 893-5900
- Bay Park Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.8 miles away2801 Bay Park Drive Oregon Ohio 43616Voluntary non-profit - Other(419) 690-7700
- Dialysis Centers of Greater Toledo0.62 miles away7635 W. Sylvania Avenue Sylvania Ohio 43560Dialysis Stations: 15 (419) 517-2002
- Davita - Flower Dialysis1.32 miles away5308 Harroun Rd., Suite 60 Sylvania Ohio 43560Dialysis Stations: 12 (419) 824-6074
- Dialysis Center of Northwest Ohio, Ltd.2.21 miles away2249 North Reynolds Road Toledo Ohio 43615CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (419) 535-7415
- Us Renal Care Northwest Ohio Dialysis2.58 miles away3829 Woodley Road Suite C-12 Toledo Ohio 43606Dialysis Stations: 15 (419) 473-9900
- Fresenius Kidney Care Westgate2.88 miles away3546 West Sylvania Avenue Toledo Ohio 43623Dialysis Stations: 13 (419) 474-3379
- Fmc - Toledo Central Dialysis3.58 miles away3100 West Central Avenue, Suite 100 Toledo Ohio 43606CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (419) 539-4000
- Davita - West Toledo3.7 miles away2900 Carrskadon Avenue Toledo Ohio 43606Dialysis Stations: 17 (419) 531-0755
- Fmc - Toledo Laskey Dialysis4.28 miles away2532 W. Laskey Road Toledo Ohio 43613CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (419) 474-8995