Fox Subacute at South Philadelphia turns out to be one of a list of 49 nursing homes in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. This city has more options compared to most areas in Pennsylvania. It looks like this facility is a well below average nursing home. A grade in this range indicates we found some red flags. This nursing home has very little working in its favor. If you aren't deterred by this place's profile, feel free to continue reading to learn more about its category scores. We discuss inspections in the next section.
Fox Subacute at South Philadelphia
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Although we did not rate this nursing home favorably overall, we want to draw your attention to its nearly flawless inspections in recent years. We awarded them an impressive grade of A in this category. Inspection ratings weigh a host of factors included in a nursing home's inspection reports. One key criteria we look at is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. You should avoid places with too many severe deficiencies flagged. Although this nursing home had a few deficiencies on its inspection report, none of them were severe based on CMS' deficiency scale. A couple minor deficiencies are not necessarily the end of the world.
Short-term Care Quality
We also awarded this nursing home a decent score in the area of short-term care, with a grade of C. In calculating our short-term care ratings, we assess the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, speech therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. Our goal is to formulate a barometer for comparing the rehabilitation services of different facilities. We were surprised to find that this place was below average in the two key staffing areas we looked at. In fact, it supplied fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other facilities. Finally, we assessed the number of residents that who were able to eventually return home from this facility. We found that 0 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home. This figure was actually quite a bit below the national average.
Does this page answer your questions about Fox Subacute at South Philadelphia?
Unfortunately, this facility only received a grade of D for its nursing grade, which was actually one of its better category grades. In determining our nursing grades, we assess both nursing hours and the training levels of the nurses. This nursing home offered a meager 0.5 hours of nursing care per patient daily. This is well below average. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in computing our nursing scores. This place performed well in the area of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these datapoints to be good measures of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
The last area we graded is long-term care, proved to be this facility's weakest category. We gave this facility a D in that area. When nursing homes receive a grade in this range in this category it typically means the nursing home didn't perform well in our measures relating to resident care. In addition to considering the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility vaccinated 81.818184 percent of its residents. This is multiple points below what we expected. To our surprise, this place was actually decent at keeping its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. This is its best score in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Fox Subacute at South Philadelphia Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Fox Subacute at South Philadelphia, 7.59% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are often caused by patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols limits the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Fox Subacute at South Philadelphia, 3.37% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint indicates the percentage of long-term patients who had falls which resulted in severe injury. This is one of the statistics we use in calculating nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Fox Subacute at South Philadelphia, 1.9% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic is an indication of the percentage of long-term care residents which had UTI's. UTI's could be a sign of poor nursing care. Nevertheless, this statistic may be misleading for some facilities due to different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Fox Subacute at South Philadelphia, 15.54% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric gauges the percent of long-term care residents receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used only where medically required. In limited cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Fox Subacute at South Philadelphia, 19.74% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents that were prescribed antianxiety medication. These medications are commonly given to patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Fox Subacute at South Philadelphia, 3.12% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who are showing symptoms of depression. Many believe this is a reasonable measure of patient quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Fox Subacute at South Philadelphia, 88.22% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Fox Subacute at South Philadelphia, 14.84% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term patients that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and continence.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Fox Subacute at South Philadelphia, 8.92 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Fox Subacute at South Philadelphia, 72.59% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term patients who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Higher levels of autonomy with activities of daily living often correlates with superior rehabilitation services.
Scores for Philadelphia, PA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Philadelphia, Pennsylvania has 48 other nursing homes
- Pennsylvania HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.56 miles away800 Spruce Street Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19107Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 829-3000
- Thomas Jefferson University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.74 miles away111 South 11th Street Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19107Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 955-6000
- Children's Hospital of PhiladelphiaChildrens 1.98 miles away34th St & Civic Center Blvd Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19104Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 590-3745
- Hahnemann University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.21 miles away230 North Broad Street Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19102Proprietary(215) 762-7000
- Penn Presbyterian Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.65 miles away51 North 39th Street Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19104Voluntary non-profit - Other(215) 662-8000
- Cooper University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.01 miles away1 Cooper Plaza Camden New Jersey 08103Voluntary non-profit - Private(856) 342-2000
- Virtua Our Lady of Lourdes HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.87 miles away1600 Haddon Avenue Camden New Jersey 08103Voluntary non-profit - Private(856) 580-6330
- Mercy Catholic Medical Center- Mercy FitzgeraldAcute Care Hospitals 5.13 miles away1500 Lansdowne Ave Darby Pennsylvania 19023Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 237-4000
- The Kidney Center of South Philadelphia, LLC0.05 miles away1930 South Broad Street, Unit 7 Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19145CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (215) 463-3120
- Davita - South Broad Street Dialysis0.69 miles away1172-74 S. Broad Street Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19146CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (215) 875-6720
- Total Renal Care Inc1.1 miles away2500 Wharton Street, Suite A Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19146Dialysis Stations: 16 (215) 334-0250
- South Philadelphia Dialysis Center1.19 miles away109 Dickinson Street Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19147Dialysis Stations: 20 (215) 468-6616
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Graduate1.26 miles away1740 South Street, Suite 100 Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19146Dialysis Stations: 24 (215) 546-2183
- Davita - Walnut Towers1.72 miles away834 Walnut Street Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19107CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (215) 629-1490
- Davita - Franklin Dialysis Center1.84 miles away150 South Independence West 101 Public Ledger Building Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19106CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (215) 922-2801
- Children's Hospital of Philadelphia1.93 miles away3500 Civic Center Blvd. 2nd Floor Buerger Center Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19104Dialysis Stations: 9 (215) 590-4600