Fox Subacute at South Philadelphia is one of 20 options in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. This facility is a lower end nursing home. A score of this caliber indicates we found some red flags. This place seems to have very little going for it. Despite all this, one of the few highlights of this nursing home's report card is its strong inspection grade. You can scroll down to learn more about inspections and other category grades
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Fox Subacute at South Philadelphia
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
1930 South Broad Street,
Philadelphia PA 19145
92.83% estimated occupancy 1
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
While we were not very complementary of this facility's overall score, it actually received a very impressive inspection report this year. In fact, it received an excellent inspection report this year. As a result, it received one of our best grades in that category with an A+. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in computing our inspection ratings. One critical factor is deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of the deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some of these end up being quite insignificant. This place was hit with 9 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe deficiencies. This means that the inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies to be an immediate risk to resident safety or health. A few minor deficiencies are not the end of the world.
Short-term Care Quality
Sadly, this nursing home's next most respectable category is short-term care. Nevertheless, with a D in this area, it still fared somewhat badly. Short-term care grades are generally used to measure a facility's rehabilitation services. To provide quality rehabilitation services, facilities generally must provide higher levels of skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists and other highly trained professionals. Based on its abysmal score in this area, we were not shocked to learn this facility offers significantly fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other nursing homes. The last datapoint we looked at in this area is the number of residents who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We discovered that just 0 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home, which is well below average. The combination of these subpar statistics doomed this facility's short-term care grade.
Does this page answer your questions about Fox Subacute at South Philadelphia?
We were surprised to find that this facility also excelled in nursing. We awarded it a grade of D for that category, which is one of our best grades. There are several criteria within this category. Many of the datapoints are tied to the quantity of nurse staffing. This facility provided just 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident on a daily basis. This is a very low total compared to most nursing homes. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed well in the area of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers.
Long-term Care Quality
The final category we analyzed was long-term care. We gave it a lowly F for this area, which is an abysmal grade. When facilities receive a score in this range in this category it typically means the nursing home didn't perform well in our measures relating to resident care. Once we assessed the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination records. We were concerned by the fact that this facility vaccinated just 77.84431 percent of its residents against pneumonia. To our surprise, this place was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this nursing home had less hospitalizations than most nursing homes. This was its best feature in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Fox Subacute at South Philadelphia Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Fox Subacute at South Philadelphia, 7.61% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many experts to be a barometer of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are routinely the result of residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Fox Subacute at South Philadelphia, 3.38% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients who sustained a major fall. Falls leading to serious injury are routinely the result of lower levels of patient supervision. Additional nurse staffing can minimize the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Fox Subacute at South Philadelphia, 1.85% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be an indicator of nursing care . UTI's are often the result of lower quality nursing care. However, this datapoint can be skewed for some facilities due to varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Fox Subacute at South Philadelphia, 15.28% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure gauges the percent of long-term residents taking antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications serve an important medical purpose, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Fox Subacute at South Philadelphia, 18.78% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint tells you the percent of long-term stay patients taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Fox Subacute at South Philadelphia, 3.3% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Fox Subacute at South Philadelphia, 86.27% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Fox Subacute at South Philadelphia, 73.03% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term care residents that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Higher levels of performance with ADL's often correlates with better rehabilitation.
Scores for Philadelphia, PA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Philadelphia, Pennsylvania has 19 other nursing homes
- Pennsylvania HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.56 miles away800 Spruce Street Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19107Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 829-3000
- Thomas Jefferson University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.74 miles away111 South 11th Street Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19107Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 955-6000
- Children's Hospital of PhiladelphiaChildrens 1.98 miles away34th St & Civic Center Blvd Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19104Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 590-3745
- Hahnemann University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.21 miles away230 North Broad Street Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19102Proprietary(215) 762-7000
- Penn Presbyterian Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.65 miles away51 North 39th Street Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19104Voluntary non-profit - Other(215) 662-8000
- Cooper University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.01 miles away1 Cooper Plaza Camden New Jersey 08103Voluntary non-profit - Private(856) 342-2000
- Virtua Our Lady of Lourdes HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.87 miles away1600 Haddon Avenue Camden New Jersey 08103Voluntary non-profit - Private(856) 580-6330
- Mercy Catholic Medical Center- Mercy FitzgeraldAcute Care Hospitals 5.13 miles away1500 Lansdowne Ave Darby Pennsylvania 19023Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 237-4000
- The Kidney Center of South Philadelphia, LLC0.05 miles away1930 South Broad Street, Unit 7 Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19145CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (215) 463-3120
- Davita - South Broad Street Dialysis0.69 miles away1172-74 S. Broad Street Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19146CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (215) 875-6720
- Total Renal Care Inc1.1 miles away2500 Wharton Street, Suite A Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19146Dialysis Stations: 16 (215) 334-0250
- South Philadelphia Dialysis Center1.19 miles away109 Dickinson Street Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19147Dialysis Stations: 20 (215) 468-6616
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Graduate1.26 miles away1740 South Street, Suite 100 Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19146Dialysis Stations: 24 (215) 546-2183
- Davita - Walnut Towers1.72 miles away834 Walnut Street Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19107CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (215) 629-1490
- Davita - Franklin Dialysis Center1.84 miles away150 South Independence West 101 Public Ledger Building Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19106CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (215) 922-2801
- Children's Hospital of Philadelphia1.93 miles away3500 Civic Center Blvd. 2nd Floor Buerger Center Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19104Dialysis Stations: 9 (215) 590-4600