Fox Subacute at Mechanicsburg is a small facility located in Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania. We awarded it an overall grade of C, which is a middle of the road grade. Based on our assessment, there are definitely far worse nursing homes out there. One of the major highlights of this facility's report card is its exemplary inspection score, which you can find in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Fox Subacute at Mechanicsburg
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Mechanicsburg senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Oncology Care
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
To pair with its decent overall score, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A for our inspections rating. This grade is far more impressive than the facility's overall grade. Our inspection grades weigh several factors included in a facility's inspection reports. One key criteria we consider is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with higher scores in this category generally have few severe deficiencies. This facility was assessed 6 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe deficiencies. This indicates that the inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies to be an immediate threat to patient safety or health. A couple minor deficiencies should not lead you to cross a nursing home off your list.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's second best category is its short-term care grade, where it was given a grade of C. Our short-term care grades are based in part on the facility's quantity of highly-skilled skilled healthcare professionals. This means a broad scope of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. We were surprised to find that this nursing home was below average in the two key staffing areas we looked at. In fact, it offered fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other nursing homes. Finally, we considered the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 0 percent of this facility's patients returned home. At most nursing homes, closer to half of their residents are able to return home so this figure is below average.
Does this page answer your questions about Fox Subacute at Mechanicsburg?
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to the area of long-term care, this facility was awarded a grade of just D in that category. In a long-term care setting, the nursing home's primary objective is to maintain residents' quality of life and keep them safe. In addition to considering the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility administered the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients. Surprisingly, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0.04 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this facility has less hospitalizations than many nursing homes. Sadly, a few of its other scores in the category weren't as favorable as these.
Switching gears to the final area, we awarded this facility a D in nursing. This is the facility's worst category grade. Nursing grades are largely tied to the facility's level of nurse staffing. This particular facility offered a meager 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident on a daily basis. This figure is well below the national average. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in calculating our nursing scores. This nursing home fared well in terms of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. Many consider these data points to be indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Fox Subacute at Mechanicsburg Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Fox Subacute at Mechanicsburg, 7.61% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint gauges the percentage of long-term care patients which have pressure ulcers. Many experts believe that pressure ulcers are a great measure of the quality of nursing care a nursing home provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Fox Subacute at Mechanicsburg, 3.38% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is an indication of the percent of long-term residents who experienced falls which caused major injury. This is one of the statistics we use in computing our nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Fox Subacute at Mechanicsburg, 1.85% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections could be linked to inadequate hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Fox Subacute at Mechanicsburg, 15.28% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many residents, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may indicate a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Fox Subacute at Mechanicsburg, 18.78% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric is an indication of the percentage of long-term care patients which were prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are given to residents suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Fox Subacute at Mechanicsburg, 3.3% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay patients who are demonstrating depressive symptoms. Some experts believe that this is a reliable measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Fox Subacute at Mechanicsburg, 86.27% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for seniors, making these vaccines critical to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Fox Subacute at Mechanicsburg, 15.17% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living could be a sign of the deterioration of a resident's medical condition.
In Fox Subacute at Mechanicsburg, 1.44 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
- Holy Spirit HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.74 miles away503 North 21st Street Camp Hill Pennsylvania 17011Voluntary non-profit - Private(717) 763-2100
- Pinnacle Health HospitalsAcute Care Hospitals 7.13 miles away409 South Second Street Harrisburg Pennsylvania 17105Voluntary non-profit - Other(717) 782-5181
- Pennsylvania Psychiatric InstitutePsychiatric 7.29 miles away2501 North Third Street Harrisburg Pennsylvania 17110Proprietary(717) 782-4742
- Good Samaritan HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.36 miles awayFourth and Walnut Streets Lebanon Pennsylvania 17042Voluntary non-profit - Other(717) 270-7500
- Carlisle Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.96 miles away361 Alexander Spring Road Carlisle Pennsylvania 17015Proprietary(717) 249-1212
- u.s. Renal Care Mechanicsburg0.05 miles away120 South Filbert Street Mechanicsburg Pennsylvania 17055Dialysis Stations: 15 (717) 790-6080
- Dialysis Care Center - Mechanicsburg LLC3.04 miles away4 Flowers Drive, Suite 1 Mechanicsburg Pennsylvania 17050Dialysis Stations: 11 (717) 795-4665
- u.s. Renal Care - Camp Hill3.76 miles away158 South 32nd Street, Suite 19 Camp Hill Pennsylvania 17011Dialysis Stations: 16 (717) 731-0506
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Camp Hill4.51 miles away240 Grandview Avenue, Suite 200 Camp Hill Pennsylvania 17011Dialysis Stations: 18 (717) 737-7800
- Davita West Shore5.12 miles away550 North 12th St., Suite 110 Lemoyne Pennsylvania 17043Dialysis Stations: 12 (717) 737-3272
- Liberty Dialysis LLC - Camp Hill5.12 miles away500 N. 12th Street, Suite 300 Lemoyne Pennsylvania 17043CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (717) 230-1630
- Bio-Medical Applications of Pennsylvania, Inc.5.97 miles away390 E. Penn Drive Enola Pennsylvania 17025Dialysis Stations: 2 (717) 732-3274
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Cityline7.39 miles away2601 North 3rd Street, Suite 101 Harrisburg Pennsylvania 17110Dialysis Stations: 17 (717) 909-9450