Fox Subacute at Mechanicsburg is in Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania, a city with 67,052 people. This is a subpar nursing home, with an overall grade of D. If you are not happy with this facility's pedestrian overall grade, you may find your options to be limited in Mechanicsburg. The city has just three other nursing homes. Despite all this, one of the few highlights of this nursing home's profile is its strong inspection reports. You can continue reading to find out about inspections and other category grades
Fox Subacute at Mechanicsburg
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Oncology Care
Registered Staff Hours
While this nursing home's overall grade was not a highlight, it actually excelled in the area of inspections. In fact, we awarded it an A for that area, which is one of our highest scores. Inspection grades account for several factors found on a nursing home's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we look at is the number and severity of deficiencies. You generally want to avoid places with a list of deficiencies flagged. Although this nursing home had a few deficiencies on its inspection report, none were major deficiencies based on CMS' deficiency scale. A couple minor deficiencies aren't the end of the world.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's next most favorable category was short-term care. We gave it a C in this area. This is essentially a slightly below average score in this area. Our short-term care grade is commonly used to measure a nursing home's performance with rehabilitation. In order to have good rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally need to have higher levels of skilled nursing services. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, respiratory therapists and other licensed professionals. Unfortunately, this place was below average in terms of its quantity of registered nurse and physical therapy hours provided to its patients based on the measures we assessed. The final metric we looked at in this area is the percentage of patients who ultimately were able to return home from the nursing home. We found that just 0 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Fox Subacute at Mechanicsburg?
Long-term Care Quality
Sadly, this facility's third best score was long-term care. However, with a D in this area, it still performed somewhat poorly. For prospective patients seeking a permanent place to live rather than rehabilitation, long-term care is an important category. After assessing the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination records. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which is higher than the majority of nursing homes. To our surprise, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0.04 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this facility had fewer hospitalizations than the majority of nursing homes. Unfortunately, a few of its other scores in the category were not as favorable as these.
The final category we assessed was nursing, is this nursing home's worst area. We awarded this nursing home a D in that category. There are numerous data points within this category. Most of the subcategories reflect the quantity and quality of nurse staffing. This particular facility offered a meager 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident on a daily basis. This figure is well below the national average. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in calculating our nursing scores. This nursing home fared well in terms of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Fox Subacute at Mechanicsburg Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Fox Subacute at Mechanicsburg, 7.59% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many experts to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are routinely caused by residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Fox Subacute at Mechanicsburg, 3.37% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic is an indication of the percentage of long-term care residents which suffered falls leading to serious injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls could be a sign of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Fox Subacute at Mechanicsburg, 1.9% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections could be linked to inadequate hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Fox Subacute at Mechanicsburg, 15.54% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many residents, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may indicate a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Fox Subacute at Mechanicsburg, 19.74% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric is an indication of the percentage of long-term care patients which were prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are given to residents suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Fox Subacute at Mechanicsburg, 3.12% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay patients who are demonstrating depressive symptoms. Some experts believe that this is a reliable measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Fox Subacute at Mechanicsburg, 88.22% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for seniors, making these vaccines critical to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Fox Subacute at Mechanicsburg, 14.84% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living could be a sign of the deterioration of a resident's medical condition.
In Fox Subacute at Mechanicsburg, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Fox Subacute at Mechanicsburg, 8.92 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Scores for Mechanicsburg, PA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania has 3 other nursing homes
- Holy Spirit HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.74 miles away503 North 21st Street Camp Hill Pennsylvania 17011Voluntary non-profit - Private(717) 763-2100
- Pinnacle Health HospitalsAcute Care Hospitals 7.13 miles away409 South Second Street Harrisburg Pennsylvania 17105Voluntary non-profit - Other(717) 782-5181
- Pennsylvania Psychiatric InstitutePsychiatric 7.29 miles away2501 North Third Street Harrisburg Pennsylvania 17110Proprietary(717) 782-4742
- Good Samaritan HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.36 miles awayFourth and Walnut Streets Lebanon Pennsylvania 17042Voluntary non-profit - Other(717) 270-7500
- Carlisle Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.96 miles away361 Alexander Spring Road Carlisle Pennsylvania 17015Proprietary(717) 249-1212
- u.s. Renal Care Mechanicsburg0.05 miles away120 South Filbert Street Mechanicsburg Pennsylvania 17055Dialysis Stations: 15 (717) 790-6080
- Dialysis Care Center - Mechanicsburg LLC3.04 miles away4 Flowers Drive, Suite 1 Mechanicsburg Pennsylvania 17050Dialysis Stations: 11 (717) 795-4665
- u.s. Renal Care - Camp Hill3.76 miles away158 South 32nd Street, Suite 19 Camp Hill Pennsylvania 17011Dialysis Stations: 16 (717) 731-0506
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Camp Hill4.51 miles away240 Grandview Avenue, Suite 200 Camp Hill Pennsylvania 17011Dialysis Stations: 18 (717) 737-7800
- Davita West Shore5.12 miles away550 North 12th St., Suite 110 Lemoyne Pennsylvania 17043Dialysis Stations: 12 (717) 737-3272
- Liberty Dialysis LLC - Camp Hill5.12 miles away500 N. 12th Street, Suite 300 Lemoyne Pennsylvania 17043CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (717) 230-1630
- Bio-Medical Applications of Pennsylvania, Inc.5.97 miles away390 E. Penn Drive Enola Pennsylvania 17025Dialysis Stations: 2 (717) 732-3274
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Cityline7.39 miles away2601 North 3rd Street, Suite 101 Harrisburg Pennsylvania 17110Dialysis Stations: 17 (717) 909-9450