Forestville Health & Rehabilitation Center is located in District Heights, Maryland. This city has a population of 40,054 people. With a bottom of the barrel overall grade of F, this nursing home didn't fare well in our assessment. If you are not satisfied with this facility's pedestrian overall grade, you may have to look in other cities as this is the only nursing home in District Heights. Despite all this, one of the few highlights of this facility's report card is its strong inspection score. You can continue reading to find out about inspections and other category grades
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Forestville Health & Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on District Heights senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Dialysis Transportation
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
- Oncology Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Although we gave this nursing home a terrible overall grade, we gave it a grade of B+ for our inspections category. This was the result of the facility receiving a decent inspection report this year. These inspection scores weigh several factors, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can learn more about each of these issues by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This facility received 5 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe deficiencies. This indicates that the government inspectors did not consider any of these deficiencies an immediate threat to patient safety or health. A few minor deficiencies are not the end of the world.
We gave this facility a grade of just D for our nursing rating and that actually turned out to be its second highest score. Nursing ratings are mostly tied to a facility's level of nurse staffing. This facility averaged only 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident daily. This is well below average. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in computing our nursing grades. This nursing home performed well in terms of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Does this page answer your questions about Forestville Health & Rehabilitation Center?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's second worse score was short-term care, where it received just a D in that area. This is a relatively poor score. Our short-term care scores are probably most important for patients requiring rehabilitation from their nursing home. Rehabilitation usually requires more highly-skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes not merely nursing, but also physical and respiratory therapy, as well as other forms of therapy. Not surprisingly, we found that this nursing home provides far less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the average facility. Finally, we assessed the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that just 5.2 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Long-term Care Quality
The next category we scored is long-term care, where this facility received a rock bottom grade here also. We gave it an abysmal F in this area, which is obviously somewhat alarming. When facilities receive a score in this range in long-term care it generally means the nursing home didn't perform well in our measures relating to patient care. In addition to assessing the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home vaccinated 73.958336 percent of its residents. This is pretty significantly lower than what we expected. To our surprise, this nursing home was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this nursing home had fewer hospitalizations than most nursing homes. This was its best feature in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Forestville Health & Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Forestville Health & Rehabilitation Center, 9.81% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are often caused by patients staying in one position for too long. Better nursing care reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Forestville Health & Rehabilitation Center, 0.21% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic indicates the percentage of long-term stay patients that have experienced a fall leading to severe injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries may be a sign of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Forestville Health & Rehabilitation Center, 0.43% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's may be a sign of a facility with worst hygiene practices. Nevertheless, this statistic can also be misleading for certain nursing homes due to different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Forestville Health & Rehabilitation Center, 6.41% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of residents who were given antipsychotic drugs. These drugs are sometimes used for treating a variety of conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Forestville Health & Rehabilitation Center, 6.74% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of residents given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are prescribed to patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Forestville Health & Rehabilitation Center, 2.22% of Patients
This is the percent of patients showing symptoms of depression. High rates of depression could imply lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Forestville Health & Rehabilitation Center, 79.4% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Forestville Health & Rehabilitation Center, 24.59% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term patients who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and using the bathroom. Some argue this is a reasonable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Forestville Health & Rehabilitation Center, 25.13% of Residents
This metric tracks the percentage of long-term residents that retained mobility levels.
In Forestville Health & Rehabilitation Center, 0.01 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Forestville Health & Rehabilitation Center, 25.13% of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Forestville Health & Rehabilitation Center, 13.38% of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Forestville Health & Rehabilitation Center, 73.8% of Resident
This metric measures the percentage of short-term care residents who saw functional improvements.
- United Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.79 miles away1310 Southern Avenue Se Washington District of Columbia 20032Proprietary(202) 574-6611
- Umd Prince George's Hospital CtrAcute Care Hospitals 6.21 miles away3001 Hospital Drive Hyattsville Maryland 20785Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 618-2000
- Medstar Southern Maryland Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.79 miles away7503 Surratts Road Clinton Maryland 20735Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 868-8000
- Howard University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.98 miles away2041 Georgia Ave Nw Washington District of Columbia 20060Voluntary non-profit - Other(202) 745-6100
- Children's Hospital NmcChildrens 8.99 miles away111 Michigan Ave, Nw Washington District of Columbia 20010Voluntary non-profit - Private(202) 476-5000
- Medstar Washington Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.04 miles away110 Irving St Nw Washington District of Columbia 20010Voluntary non-profit - Other(202) 877-7000
- Doctors' Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.28 miles away8118 Good Luck Road Lanham Maryland 20706Proprietary(301) 552-8118
- George Washington Univ HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.84 miles away900 23rd St Nw Washington District of Columbia 20037Proprietary(202) 716-4605
- Forestville Dialysis0.41 miles away3424 Donnell Dr District Heights Maryland 20747Dialysis Stations: 19 (615) 320-4230
- District Heights Dialysis1.38 miles away5701 Silver Hilll Rd District Heights Maryland 20747Dialysis Stations: 18 (301) 817-0010
- Us Renal Care Silver Hills Dialysis1.38 miles away5652 Silver Hill Rd Penn Station Shopping Ctr District Heights Maryland 20747CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (301) 967-9891
- Renal Care of Seat Pleasant, LLC2.94 miles away6274 Central Ave Capitol Heights Maryland 20743CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (301) 336-6274
- Davita - Landover3.28 miles away1200 Mercantile Ln Ste 105 Upper Marlboro Maryland 20774CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (301) 322-2861
- Bma - Camp Springs3.37 miles away3700 - a St Barnabas Rd Suitland Maryland 20746CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (301) 423-5657
- Davita - Coral Hills Dialysis3.4 miles away4797 Marlboro Pike Capitol Heights Maryland 20743CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (301) 420-1513
- Quality Care Dialysis - Southern Maryland3.52 miles away6357 Old Branch Ave Temple Hills Maryland 20748CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (301) 449-4166