Forest View Center for Rehabilitation & Nursing is one of just three facilities located in Forest Hills, New York. We gave this nursing home an overall grade of B. A score in this range requires solid scores in most areas. This grade was right in line with the city grade in Forest Hills. This place's strong report card was highlighted by its inspection score, which we will address in the next section.
Forest View Center for Rehabilitation & Nursing
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Best Nursing Home in Forest Hills, New York Awards 2019
Registered Staff Hours
On top of receiving a strong overall score, this facility performed even better in our inspections category which is based on the facility's recent inspections. We gave it an A+ for this area, which is one of our highest scores. Arguably the most important factor we consider in determining our inspection ratings is deficiencies. Deficiencies can be found on a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes with better grades in this category typically avoided the more severe deficiencies involving things like patient abuse. While this facility had a few deficiencies on its government inspection report, none were severe based on CMS' deficiency scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility performed well in the category of long-term care. Indeed, we awarded it a score of A- for that category, which turns out to be one of our most elite scores. Nursing homes that receive this type of grade in long-term care tend to provide consistent around the clock care to ensure residents are kept in good health. After assessing the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we then looked at the nursing home's vaccination statistics. This nursing home vaccinated 95.784546 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which is higher than most nursing homes. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Forest View Center for Rehabilitation & Nursing?
Short-term Care Quality
The next area we analyzed is short-term care, where this nursing home was given a C in this category. Short-term care ratings are important for prospective residents seeking rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically utilizes additional skilled nursing. This means a wide spectrum of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. It does not appear that this facility submitted information about its staffing of registered nurses or physical therapists. Finally, we considered the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 4.9 percent of this facility's residents returned home. At most facilities, closer to half of their patients are able to return home so this figure is below average.
This facility's worst area is nursing, which is the final area we scored. In this area, we awarded this nursing home a D. The nursing rating includes quite a few subcategories, many of which are associated with nursing hours. With a meager 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident daily, this facility's nurse staffing levels were significantly below the national average. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in calculating our nursing scores. This facility performed well when it comes to minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Forest View Center for Rehabilitation & Nursing Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Forest View Center for Rehabilitation & Nursing, 9.58% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are routinely caused by patients staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Forest View Center for Rehabilitation & Nursing, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of patients that have had a major fall. Falls leading to major injuries are often caused by poor nursing care. More supervision can limit the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Forest View Center for Rehabilitation & Nursing, 2.1% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections could be linked to insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Forest View Center for Rehabilitation & Nursing, 11.59% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications may be helpful for many patients, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Forest View Center for Rehabilitation & Nursing, 13.3% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint tells you the percentage of long-term care residents taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Forest View Center for Rehabilitation & Nursing, 13.2% of Patients
This is the percent of residents who are exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Forest View Center for Rehabilitation & Nursing, 91.26% of Patients
This is the percent of patients that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Forest View Center for Rehabilitation & Nursing, 14.75% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living could indicate decline of a patient's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Forest View Center for Rehabilitation & Nursing, 17.32% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percentage of long-term patients who maintained mobility.
In Forest View Center for Rehabilitation & Nursing, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. Staying out of the hospital is key to maintaining the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Forest View Center for Rehabilitation & Nursing, 17.32 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Forest View Center for Rehabilitation & Nursing, 8.8 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to assess patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Forest View Center for Rehabilitation & Nursing, 75.07% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percentage of short-term stay patients that saw functional improvements.
- Elmhurst Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.02 miles away79-01 Broadway Elmhurst New York 11373Government - Local(718) 334-1141
- Flushing Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.21 miles away45th Avenue and Parsons Boulevard Flushing New York 11355Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 670-5000
- Queens Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.66 miles away82-68 164th Street Jamaica New York 11432Government - Local(718) 883-3000
- Jamaica Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.9 miles away89th Avenue and Van Wyck Expressway Richmond Hill New York 11418Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 262-6000
- Wyckoff Heights Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.23 miles away374 Stockholm Street Brooklyn New York 11237Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 963-7272
- Woodhull Medical & Mental Health CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.46 miles away760 Broadway Brooklyn New York 11206Government - Local(718) 963-8100
- Hospital for Special SurgeryAcute Care Hospitals 5.75 miles away535 East 70th Street New York New York 10021Voluntary non-profit - Private(212) 606-1000
- New York-Presbyterian Hospital-New York Weill CornAcute Care Hospitals 5.79 miles away525 East 68th Street New York New York 10065Voluntary non-profit - Private(212) 746-5454
- The Ny Hosp Med Ctr of Queens1.43 miles away56-45 Main Street 8th Floor Hemodialysis Unit Flushing New York 11355Dialysis Stations: 4 (718) 670-1258
- Broadway Dialysis Center at Elmhurst Hospital Center1.64 miles away79-01 Broadway D-7 Wing Elmhurst New York 11373CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (718) 205-7772
- Fms-Queens Artificial Kidney Center2 miles away34-35 70th Street Jackson Heights New York 11372CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 52 (718) 651-9700
- Atlas Park Dialysis2.15 miles away8000 Cooper Ave Ridgewood New York 11385Dialysis Stations: 25 (718) 326-2789
- Queens Dialysis at the Pavilion, LLC2.41 miles away36-17 Parsons Blvd Flushing New York 11354Dialysis Stations: 12 (718) 888-5200
- Kew Gardens Dialysis Center2.52 miles away120-46 Queens Boulevard Kew Gardens New York 11415CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (718) 793-3341
- Crd Associates LLC Cliffside Nursing Home2.75 miles away119-19 Graham Court Att: Dialysis Center Flushing New York 11354Dialysis Stations: 6 (718) 886-0700
- Genesis Services3.09 miles away74-07 88th Street Ridgewood New York 11385CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (646) 931-1000