Gem City Nursing & Rehab is on a list of 15 possibilities in Dayton, Ohio. We awarded it an overall grade of C, which is a middle of the road score. You could definitely do worse than this nursing home. The best part of this facility's profile was its remarkable inspection grade. Inspection reports are discussed in the next section.
Gem City Nursing & Rehab
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
323 Forest Avenue,
Dayton OH 45405
55.28% estimated occupancy 1
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Amputee Recovery
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
The main reason this nursing home received a decent overall grade is its excellent government inspections in recent years. We gave it one of our better scores in that category, with an A. This is a notably better score than the place's overall grade, which was decent but certainly not elite. Our inspection grades weigh several factors found on a nursing home's inspection report. One of the most important criteria we consider is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Places with better grades in this area usually have very few severe deficiencies. While this place had a few minor dings on its report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you that the inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. A couple of minor deficiencies should not lead you to cross a nursing home off your list.
Short-term Care Quality
One of this nursing home's better category grades was in the category of short-term care. This wound up being its second best category. In that area, we awarded this nursing home a C. In the area of short-term care, we strive to assess indicators of a nursing home's rehabilitation. We analyze the facility's skilled nursing services, including the ones performed by registered nurses and physical, occupational and other therapists. Unfortunately, this nursing home was below average in terms of its number of registered nurse and physical therapy hours provided to its residents based on the measures we assessed. The final metric we looked at in this category is the number of patients that returned home from the nursing home. We found that just 0 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home. Unfortunately, this was below average.
Does this page answer your questions about Gem City Nursing & Rehab?
This facility's next best category grade came in the area of nursing. In that category, we gave this nursing home a grade of C. We looked at the levels of nurses working for the facility, as well as the quantity of hours those nurses spent with residents, in calculating our rating in this category. This particular nursing home provided just 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient each day. This figure is significantly below average. Lastly, while this facility got dinged a bit for nursing hours, it actually excelled in a few of our quality measures. With fewer than five percent of its residents experiencing pressure ulcers, it did remarkably well in this metric.
Long-term Care Quality
The next category we rated is long-term care, which proved to be this nursing home's least impressive area. It received an abysmal F in this area, which is certainly very concerning. In a long-term care environment, the facility's primary goal is to maintain residents' quality of life and keep them safe. One of the data points we considered after nursing hours was vaccines. Fortunately, this facility administered the pneumonia vaccination to 98.75 percent of its patients. Surprisingly, this nursing home was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. Sadly, some of its other scores in the category weren't as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Gem City Nursing & Rehab Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Gem City Nursing & Rehab, 7.3% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic is is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents that suffered from pressure ulcers. We've found that pressure ulcers are a reliable barometer of nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Gem City Nursing & Rehab, 3.68% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure is an indication of the percent of long-term patients who have experienced falls which caused serious injury. We use this statistic in determining nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Gem City Nursing & Rehab, 1.34% of Patients had UTIs
This metric tells you the percent of long-term residents who suffered from urinary tract infections. UTI's could be a sign of a facility with lower levels of hygiene. Nevertheless, this statistic could also be skewed for certain nursing homes due to different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Gem City Nursing & Rehab, 12.59% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of residents given antipsychotic drugs. These medications may be used for a variety of medical conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Gem City Nursing & Rehab, 21.99% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic indicates the percent of long-term patients that are administered antianxiety drugs. These medications are typically prescribed to patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Gem City Nursing & Rehab, 21.39% of Patients
This is the percent of residents who are showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Gem City Nursing & Rehab, 88.91% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for seniors, making these types of vaccines critical to patient well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Gem City Nursing & Rehab, 14.84% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of patients who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Gem City Nursing & Rehab, 12.66% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percentage of long-term stay residents that maintained mobility.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Gem City Nursing & Rehab, 12.66 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Gem City Nursing & Rehab, 75.85% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percent of short-term residents that experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Dayton, OH
- Overall Rating has a grade of D
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Dayton, Ohio has 14 other nursing homes
- Grandview Hospital & Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.11 miles away405 Grand Avenue Dayton Ohio 45405Voluntary non-profit - Other(937) 723-3200
- Kettering Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.15 miles away3535 Southern Boulevard Dayton Ohio 45429Voluntary non-profit - Church(937) 395-8165
- Soin Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.33 miles away3535 Pentagon Park Blvd Dayton Ohio 45431Voluntary non-profit - Private(937) 702-4000
- Sycamore Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.41 miles away4000 Miamisburg-Centerville Road Miamisburg Ohio 45342Voluntary non-profit - Church(937) 384-8776
- Greene Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.15 miles away1141 North Monroe Drive Xenia Ohio 45385Voluntary non-profit - Private(937) 352-2000
- Davita - Buckeye Dialysis1.66 miles away3050 S Dixie Dr Dayton Ohio 45409CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (937) 643-2337
- Fresenius Kidney Care Dayton East1.66 miles away821 S. Edwin C. Moses Blvd. Dayton Ohio 45417Dialysis Stations: 21 (937) 222-5859
- Davita Mallory Park3.02 miles away2808 Germantown St Dayton Ohio 45417Dialysis Stations: 24 (937) 262-8427
- Davita Five Rivers Dialysis3.16 miles away4750 N Main Street Dayton Ohio 45405Dialysis Stations: 17 (937) 278-5139
- Davita - Dayton North Dialysis3.5 miles away455 Turner Road Dayton Ohio 45415CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 44 (937) 278-7861
- Davita - Home Dialysis of Dayton3.5 miles away455 Turner Road, Suite B Dayton Ohio 45415Dialysis Stations: 6 (937) 278-8261
- Fmc - Dayton West3.74 miles away4100 Salem Avenue Dayton Ohio 45416CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (937) 279-3120
- Davita - Dayton East at Home4.09 miles away1431 Business Center Court, Ste B Dayton Ohio 45410Dialysis Stations: 2 (937) 252-1867