Forest Hills Care Center is one of only three available nursing homes in Forest Hills, New York. This nursing home was given an overall grade of B, which is a good rating. This grade is right in line with the city grade in Forest Hills. We were also pleased to find that this place didn't have any weak links in any of the four major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Forest Hills Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Dialysis Transportation
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Peritoneal Dialysis
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to receiving a strong overall grade, this nursing home also earned first-rate health inspections in recent years. We gave them one of our better scores in that category, with an A+. Inspection scores are based on many items found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places that score well in this area typically have very few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these places generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. This particular nursing home received 6 deficiencies on its inspection report. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
We also gave this nursing home a score of A- for our long-term care grade. Nursing homes that excel in this category tend to be well-staffed and provide extensive hands on care to patients. One of the factors we considered after nursing hours is vaccines. This facility provided the pneumonia vaccine to 99.2278 percent of its residents. This is a great way to avoid unnecessary hospitalizations for the elderly population. Finally, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Forest Hills Care Center?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's third best category came in the area of short-term care. In that category, we awarded this facility a B-. In crafting our short-term care ratings, we assess the facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, respiratory therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. The objective is to devise a tool for sizing up the rehabilitation services of various facilities. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the data they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final metric we considered in this area is the percentage of patients that ultimately returned home from the facility. We found that just 5.5 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
The final category we graded was nursing. We gave this nursing home a C in that area. When determining our nursing ratings, we analyze both the number of hours nurses spend with residents and the training levels of those nurses. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures. While this nursing home got docked a bit for its nursing hours per resident, it excelled in some of these quality-based metrics. With less than five percent of its residents experiencing pressure ulcers, it did very well in this statistic. This is often a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can many times be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as by having a policy of moving patients more frequently.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Forest Hills Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Forest Hills Care Center, 9.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are often caused by patients staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Forest Hills Care Center, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents who have had a major fall. Falls leading to major injury are routinely the result of lower levels of patient supervision. Additional nurse staffing can minimize the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Forest Hills Care Center, 2.08% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections could be linked to insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Forest Hills Care Center, 11.61% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents prescribed antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many residents, it is important to confirm these medications are being used appropriately. In some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Forest Hills Care Center, 13.28% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of residents who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are administered to patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Forest Hills Care Center, 13.6% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients exhibiting signs of depression. Many believe this is a reliable measure of resident quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Forest Hills Care Center, 91.89% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents that were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for seniors, making these types of vaccines critical to patient well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Forest Hills Care Center, 14.66% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living could indicate deterioration of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Forest Hills Care Center, 18.82% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of patients that maintained mobility over time. Retaining mobility is often a good sign for residents' health.
In Forest Hills Care Center, 1.2 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. There is generally a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Forest Hills Care Center, 18.82 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Forest Hills Care Center, 8.77 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to assess the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Forest Hills Care Center, 74.71% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term stay patients that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of performance with activities of daily living usually correlates with successful rehabilitation.
- Elmhurst Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.78 miles away79-01 Broadway Elmhurst New York 11373Government - Local(718) 334-1141
- Flushing Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.44 miles away45th Avenue and Parsons Boulevard Flushing New York 11355Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 670-5000
- Queens Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.87 miles away82-68 164th Street Jamaica New York 11432Government - Local(718) 883-3000
- Jamaica Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.03 miles away89th Avenue and Van Wyck Expressway Richmond Hill New York 11418Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 262-6000
- Wyckoff Heights Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.99 miles away374 Stockholm Street Brooklyn New York 11237Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 963-7272
- Woodhull Medical & Mental Health CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.22 miles away760 Broadway Brooklyn New York 11206Government - Local(718) 963-8100
- Hospital for Special SurgeryAcute Care Hospitals 5.52 miles away535 East 70th Street New York New York 10021Voluntary non-profit - Private(212) 606-1000
- New York-Presbyterian Hospital-New York Weill CornAcute Care Hospitals 5.56 miles away525 East 68th Street New York New York 10065Voluntary non-profit - Private(212) 746-5454
- Broadway Dialysis Center at Elmhurst Hospital Center1.39 miles away79-01 Broadway D-7 Wing Elmhurst New York 11373CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (718) 205-7772
- The Ny Hosp Med Ctr of Queens1.66 miles away56-45 Main Street 8th Floor Hemodialysis Unit Flushing New York 11355Dialysis Stations: 4 (718) 670-1258
- Fms-Queens Artificial Kidney Center1.82 miles away34-35 70th Street Jackson Heights New York 11372CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 52 (718) 651-9700
- Atlas Park Dialysis2.01 miles away8000 Cooper Ave Ridgewood New York 11385Dialysis Stations: 25 (718) 326-2789
- Queens Dialysis at the Pavilion, LLC2.58 miles away36-17 Parsons Blvd Flushing New York 11354Dialysis Stations: 12 (718) 888-5200
- Kew Gardens Dialysis Center2.65 miles away120-46 Queens Boulevard Kew Gardens New York 11415CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (718) 793-3341
- Crd Associates LLC Cliffside Nursing Home2.79 miles away119-19 Graham Court Att: Dialysis Center Flushing New York 11354Dialysis Stations: 6 (718) 886-0700
- Fms-Queens Kidney Care2.88 miles away60-40 Fresh Pond Road Maspeth New York 11378Dialysis Stations: 24 (718) 366-2118