Forest Hill Healthcare Center is an average-sized facility in Newark, New Jersey. Sporting an overall grade of A-, this is undoubtedly an impressive facility. We were so impressed with this nursing home that we ranked it in the top 25 percent of all nursing homes in the country. The best part of this facility's strong report card is its inspection grade. Inspection grades are discussed in the next section
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Forest Hill Healthcare Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Newark senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Dialysis Transportation
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
One of the reasons this turned out to be a great nursing home is it received a very impressive grade in inspections. In fact, inspections turned out to be its best category. In that area, we gave this nursing home an A. Inspection grades weigh several factors, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these issues by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. While this facility had a few deficiencies on its report, none were severe based on CMS' deficiency scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
Among its many dominant scores, this facility was given an excellent short-term care grade. In fact, it received a grade of A- in that area. Short-term care ratings are based on the nursing home's quantity of skilled skilled healthcare professionals. This includes a vast scope of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, in addition to other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every facility employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we considered the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 6.2 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Forest Hill Healthcare Center?
Long-term Care Quality
We also wanted to alert you to the fact that this facility was awarded an elite grade of A- in our long-term care category. When facilities receive a score in this range in long-term care it typically means it has plenty of staff and is a quality place to reside on a permanent basis. One of the criteria we considered after nursing hours is vaccines. This nursing home provided the pneumonia vaccination to 99.604744 percent of its patients. Vaccination is a proven method to avoid unnecessary deaths and hospitalizations for the elderly population. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. It had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
The final category we assessed is nursing. In that area, we gave this nursing home an impressive grade of B. There are a host of data points within this grade. Many of the subcategories are tied to the quantity and quality of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can frequently be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Forest Hill Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Forest Hill Healthcare Center, 8.1% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many experts to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are routinely caused by patients staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Forest Hill Healthcare Center, 2.37% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic is a measure of the percent of long-term residents that sustained a fall which resulted in major injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls may be an indication of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Forest Hill Healthcare Center, 0.4% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often the result of worse hygiene protocols. Additional nurse staffing reduces the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. Note that this datapoint is affected by by the fact that facilities have different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Forest Hill Healthcare Center, 11.81% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric measures the percentage of long-term patients which were prescribed antipsychotic medication. Increased usage of these drugs may mean that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior in scenarios where such medications aren't medically required. Nevertheless, some nursing homes may need to rely more on these medications due to an increased number of residents suffering from dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Forest Hill Healthcare Center, 7.38% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents who were given antianxiety medications. These drugs are commonly used to treat residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Forest Hill Healthcare Center, 0% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients who are demonstrating symptoms of depression. Many would argue that this is a reasonable measure of quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Forest Hill Healthcare Center, 99.04% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Forest Hill Healthcare Center, 8.66% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Forest Hill Healthcare Center, 5.14% of Residents
This is the percent of residents that retained mobility levels over time. Optimizing mobility is often a great sign for residents' health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Forest Hill Healthcare Center, 5.14% of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Forest Hill Healthcare Center, 3.97% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to gauge patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Forest Hill Healthcare Center, 84.24% of Resident
This is a measure of the percentage of short-term patients that experienced functional improvements.
- University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.3 miles away150 Bergen St Newark New Jersey 07101Government - State(973) 972-5658
- East Orange General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.54 miles away300 Central Ave East Orange New Jersey 07018Voluntary non-profit - Private(973) 266-4401
- Newark Beth Israel Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.74 miles away201 Lyons Ave Newark New Jersey 07112Voluntary non-profit - Private(973) 926-7850
- Hudson Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.31 miles away55 Meadowlands Pkwy Secaucus New Jersey 07094Proprietary(201) 392-3200
- St Mary's General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.5 miles away350 Boulevard Passaic New Jersey 07055Proprietary(973) 365-4300
- Carepoint Health-Christ HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.56 miles away176 Palisade Ave Jersey City New Jersey 07306Voluntary non-profit - Church(201) 795-8200
- Essex County Hospital CenterPsychiatric 6.6 miles away204 Grove Avenue Cedar Grove New Jersey 07009Government - Local(973) 571-2801
- Saint Barnabas Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.91 miles away94 Old Short Hills Road Livingston New Jersey 07039Voluntary non-profit - Other(973) 322-5000
- Fmc North Newark0.46 miles away155 Berkeley Avenue Newark New Jersey 07107CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (973) 412-0066
- Fkc Belleville1.16 miles away36 Newark Avenue Suite 304 Belleville New Jersey 07109Dialysis Stations: 16 (973) 450-0385
- Ara Dialysis at East Orange1.91 miles away20 Sussex Ave East Orange New Jersey 07018Dialysis Stations: 13 (973) 266-1093
- Davita Renal Center of Newark2.02 miles away571 Central Ave Newark New Jersey 07107CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (973) 484-4994
- Fmc Harrison Dc2.02 miles away620 Essex Street Harrison New Jersey 07029CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (973) 482-7772
- Fmc East Orange Dc2.14 miles away110 South Grove Street East Orange New Jersey 07018CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (973) 414-6100
- Fmc Bloomfield Dc2.29 miles away206 Belleville Avenue Bloomfield New Jersey 07003CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (973) 680-8100
- Davita East Orange Dialysis2.48 miles away14-20 Prospect Street East Orange New Jersey 07017CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (973) 672-2025