With an address in Newark, New Jersey, Forest Hill Healthcare Center is one of five available facilities in the city. With an overall rating of A-, this is undoubtedly a very strong nursing home. In fact, we were so impressed with this nursing home that we ranked it as one of the three best nursing homes in Newark. The best part of this nursing home's strong report card is its inspection rating. We discuss inspections in the next section
Forest Hill Healthcare Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Dialysis Transportation
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Registered Staff Hours
On top of receiving a quality overall score, this nursing home also received excellent government inspections recently. We gave it one of our best grades in that area, with an A. Perhaps the most important factor we look at in computing our inspection ratings is deficiencies. These deficiencies are found on a facility's inspection reports. Facilities with higher grades in this category typically dodged the more severe deficiencies involving things like patient abuse. While this nursing home had a few minor dings on its government inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means that the government inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
Adding to its dominant achievements in other areas, we gave this nursing home a score of A- for its short-term care grade. In computing our short-term care grades, we look at the nursing home's levels of skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists speech therapists and other highly trained professionals. This category is frequently a useful measure of the nursing home's ability to rehabilitate patients. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not all nursing homes employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final statistic we considered in this area is the percentage of residents that returned home from the facility. We found that 6.2 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Does this page answer your questions about Forest Hill Healthcare Center?
Long-term Care Quality
Turning the page to our next category, this nursing home received first-rate long-term care grade. In fact, we gave it a score of A- in that area. Long-term care grades of this caliber generally require both around the clock care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine healthcare services. Once we assessed the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we turned to the facility's vaccination statistics. This facility vaccinated 99.14893 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is far higher than the majority of nursing homes. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Switching gears to our fourth category, this facility also excelled in the nursing category. In fact, we awarded it a B+ in this area. This rounded out a very strong profile. Our nursing grade considers many subcategories. The most heavily weighted variable is the number of hours nurses spend with residents. This nursing home averages 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This place performed very well in terms of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Forest Hill Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Forest Hill Healthcare Center, 9.28% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a measure of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are routinely caused by patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Forest Hill Healthcare Center, 2.53% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients who sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in major injury are considered to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . Major falls which result in injury are routinely caused by lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Forest Hill Healthcare Center, 1.65% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are often caused by lower quality nursing care. However, this datapoint can be skewed for some nursing homes due to different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Forest Hill Healthcare Center, 10.6% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. These drugs are used for treating a variety of conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Forest Hill Healthcare Center, 17.42% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of residents who were given antianxiety drugs. These medications are given to residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Forest Hill Healthcare Center, 5.95% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Forest Hill Healthcare Center, 91.97% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents that were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for seniors, making these types of vaccines vital to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Forest Hill Healthcare Center, 10.68% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Forest Hill Healthcare Center, 12.9% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of residents who maintained mobility over time. Optimizing mobility can be a great sign for residents' health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Forest Hill Healthcare Center, 12.9 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Forest Hill Healthcare Center, 8.37 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Forest Hill Healthcare Center, 80.92% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percentage of short-term stay residents who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Some experts argue that this is a reasonable measure of rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Newark, NJ
- Overall Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Newark, New Jersey has 4 other nursing homes
- University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.3 miles away150 Bergen St Newark New Jersey 07101Government - State(973) 972-5658
- East Orange General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.54 miles away300 Central Ave East Orange New Jersey 07018Voluntary non-profit - Private(973) 266-4401
- Newark Beth Israel Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.74 miles away201 Lyons Ave Newark New Jersey 07112Voluntary non-profit - Private(973) 926-7850
- Hudson Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.31 miles away55 Meadowlands Pkwy Secaucus New Jersey 07094Proprietary(201) 392-3200
- St Mary's General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.5 miles away350 Boulevard Passaic New Jersey 07055Proprietary(973) 365-4300
- Carepoint Health-Christ HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.56 miles away176 Palisade Ave Jersey City New Jersey 07306Voluntary non-profit - Church(201) 795-8200
- Essex County Hospital CenterPsychiatric 6.6 miles away204 Grove Avenue Cedar Grove New Jersey 07009Government - Local(973) 571-2801
- Saint Barnabas Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.91 miles away94 Old Short Hills Road Livingston New Jersey 07039Voluntary non-profit - Other(973) 322-5000
- Fmc North Newark0.46 miles away155 Berkeley Avenue Newark New Jersey 07107CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (973) 412-0066
- Fkc Belleville1.16 miles away36 Newark Avenue Suite 304 Belleville New Jersey 07109Dialysis Stations: 16 (973) 450-0385
- Ara Dialysis at East Orange1.91 miles away20 Sussex Ave East Orange New Jersey 07018Dialysis Stations: 13 (973) 266-1093
- Davita Renal Center of Newark2.02 miles away571 Central Ave Newark New Jersey 07107CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (973) 484-4994
- Fmc Harrison Dc2.02 miles away620 Essex Street Harrison New Jersey 07029CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (973) 482-7772
- Fmc East Orange Dc2.14 miles away110 South Grove Street East Orange New Jersey 07018CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (973) 414-6100
- Fmc Bloomfield Dc2.29 miles away206 Belleville Avenue Bloomfield New Jersey 07003CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (973) 680-8100
- Davita East Orange Dialysis2.48 miles away14-20 Prospect Street East Orange New Jersey 07017CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (973) 672-2025