Sterling Care Forest Hill is a large facility in Forest Hill, Maryland. Featuring an overall rating of B, this appears to be a very respectable option. Based on our analysis, you could do much worse than this place. Lastly, this nursing home's ownership changed in the last year, so we will need to monitor it to confirm it maintains its high level of care.
Sterling Care Forest Hill
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
Please note our records indicate that Sterling Care Forest Hill has changed ownership recently and while our data on this page is up-to-date there is a chance that the quality of this facility may change under new management.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
On top of receiving a great overall grade, this facility also received an elite nursing score. We gave them one of our better scores in that area, with a grade of A-. The nursing category weighs several components, many of which are based on levels of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality measures and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home the country in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can often be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as employing a policy of turning residents more often.
This facility also performed well in inspections. It earned a nearly flawless inspection report this year. As a result, it received one of our best scores in that category with an A-. Few nursing homes with an overall score in this range performed as well in multiple categories. Arguably the most critical factor we consider in determining our inspection ratings is deficiencies. Deficiencies can be found on a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities with higher grades in this area most likely avoided the more severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. While this place had some deficiencies on its inspection report, none of them were major deficiencies based on CMS' scale. The fact that none of the deficiencies were severe leaves us less concerned with this inspection report.
Does this page answer your questions about Sterling Care Forest Hill?
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to an additional strength for this nursing home, we awarded them one of our stronger grades in our short-term care category as well, with a B+. Short-term care grades are based in part on a nursing home's quantity of skilled nursing services. This means a vast spectrum of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, in addition to other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we assessed the percentage of patients who ultimately were able to return home from this facility. We found that 4.6 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Long-term Care Quality
The next category we scored was long-term care. We awarded it a C in that area. This is a fair grade in this area. In a long-term care setting, the facility's primary objective is to keep patients healthy and safe. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate residents. Once we concluded our assessment of the volume of care provided by nurses, we next considered the facility's vaccination statistics. We were pleased to discover that this nursing home vaccinated 99.386505 percent of its patients against pneumonia. Finally, this nursing home was also able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Sterling Care Forest Hill Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Sterling Care Forest Hill, 10.24% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are often caused by residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing care can reduce the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Sterling Care Forest Hill, 2.73% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic measures the percentage of long-term care residents that sustained falls which caused major injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries may be an indicator of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Sterling Care Forest Hill, 2.07% of Patients had UTIs
This is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents which suffered from urinary tract infections. UTI's may be an indication of poor nursing care. Nevertheless, this metric may also be misleading for some facilities due to different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Sterling Care Forest Hill, 13.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure gauges the percentage of long-term patients who were prescribed antipsychotic medication. Excessive reliance on these medications may mean a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents in situations where such drugs are not medically indicated. Nevertheless, some facilities need to rely on these drugs due to an increased number of patients with Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Sterling Care Forest Hill, 14.46% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic gauges the percent of long-term patients receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Sterling Care Forest Hill, 10.18% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients exhibiting symptoms of depression. High levels of depression may imply a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Sterling Care Forest Hill, 92.14% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Sterling Care Forest Hill, 19.83% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and taking a bath.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Sterling Care Forest Hill, 28.37% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percent of long-term patients who were able to retain mobility. Some would argue that mobility is vital to residents' mental and physical well-being.
In Sterling Care Forest Hill, 1.1 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Sterling Care Forest Hill, 28.37 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Sterling Care Forest Hill, 8.93 Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Sterling Care Forest Hill, 74.3% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percentage of short-term patients who experienced functional improvements.
- Umd Upper Chesapeake Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.04 miles away500 Upper Chesapeake Drive Bel Air Maryland 21014Voluntary non-profit - Other(443) 643-3303
- University of Md Harford Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.91 miles away501 South Union Avenue Havre De Grace Maryland 21078Voluntary non-profit - Private(443) 643-3303
- Medstar Franklin Square Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 15.72 miles away9000 Franklin Square Drive Rosedale Maryland 21237Voluntary non-profit - Private(443) 777-7850
- University of Md St Joseph Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 17.58 miles away7601 Osler Drive Towson Maryland 21204Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 337-1000
- Greater Baltimore Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 17.91 miles away6701 North Charles Street Towson Maryland 21204Voluntary non-profit - Private(443) 849-2000
- Medstar Good Samaritan HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.16 miles away5601 Loch Raven Boulevard Baltimore Maryland 21239Voluntary non-profit - Other(443) 444-3902
- Forest Landing Dialysis1.4 miles away2220 Commerce Ave Ste 1 Forest Hill Maryland 21050Dialysis Stations: 24 (410) 638-6020
- Davita - Belair5.14 miles away2225 Old Emmorton Rd Ste 100 Bel Air Maryland 21015CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (410) 515-2078
- Davita Edgewood Dialysis8.44 miles away1415 S. Mountain Rd Suite 105 Joppa Maryland 21085Dialysis Stations: 16 (410) 671-6059
- Aberdeen Dialysis10.21 miles away780 W Bel Air Ave Aberdeen Maryland 21001CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (410) 273-9333
- Fmc of Porter Dialysis - White Marsh13.76 miles away8013 Corporate Dr Ste K Nottingham Maryland 21236Dialysis Stations: 19 (410) 931-2478
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Cromwell14.99 miles away8710 Emge Rd Parkville Maryland 21234Dialysis Stations: 6 (410) 661-0801
- Fmc of Porter Dialysis - Rosedale15.15 miles away5235 King Ave Suite 110 & 112 Rosedale Maryland 21237Dialysis Stations: 18 (410) 918-0991
- Fresenius Kidney Care Nashua Court16.11 miles away3 Nashua Court Suite H Essex Maryland 21221Dialysis Stations: 21 (410) 686-1279