Fordham Nursing and Rehabilitation Center is a very-large nursing home located in Bronx, New York. This nursing home received an overall rating of F. If you aren't happy with this nursing home, you should be able to find another option in Bronx, as the city has more than 25 nursing homes. More information on this nursing home's category grades is available below. Its best category was inspections, which is addressed in the next section.
Fordham Nursing and Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
2678 Kingsbridge Terrace,
Bronx NY 10463
95.2% estimated occupancy 1
Note: Fordham Nursing and Rehabilitation Center has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
While we graded this facility incredibly poorly overall, it received a fairly respectable inspection report this year. As a result, it received a decent grade in that category with a score of B-. We believe that one of the most critical factors in assessing an inspection report is deficiencies. We especially look at the severity of those deficiencies. Although this nursing home had some deficiencies on its inspection report, none were major deficiencies based on CMS' deficiency scale. Finally, CMS cited this nursing home for possible abuse or neglect. Hopefully, its performance improves in the future, but until then we simply can't recommend this facility.
Long-term Care Quality
Incredibly, we gave this nursing home a B- for its long-term care grade, which is not a bad grade. In the area of long-term care, we assess the amount of care offered by a nursing home, rather than more healthcare-oriented services. After we finished assessing the volume of care provided by nurses, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination record. Frankly, we were a bit concerned this facility vaccinated only 88.13097 percent of its patients against pneumonia. Fortunately, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Fordham Nursing and Rehabilitation Center?
Short-term Care Quality
Sadly, this facility's next best score was short-term care. As it turns out, with a grade of D in this category, it still fared somewhat badly. Short-term care scores are vital for individuals in need of rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally requires additional skilled nursing services. This includes a wide range of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other types of therapy. Given its score in this category, we weren't stunned to find that this facility was well below average in terms of its quantity of registered nurse and physical therapy hours provided to its patients based on the figures we looked at. The final statistic we assessed in this area is the number of residents that who were able to eventually return home from the nursing home. This nursing home struggled quite a bit in this area as well, with just 0 percent of its residents returning home.
The final area we scored is nursing. Unfortunately, we gave it an F for this area, which is a poor grade. There are a number of factors included in this category. Most of the data points reflect levels of nurse staffing. This particular nursing home averaged a meager 0.2 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This statistic is quite a bit below average. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in calculating our nursing scores. This nursing home fared well when it comes to avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Fordham Nursing and Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Fordham Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 9.58% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are often caused by patients staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols can reduce the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Fordham Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic is an indication of the percent of long-term residents which experienced falls which resulted in serious injury. This is one of the statistics we use in calculating nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Fordham Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 2.1% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who sustained urinary tract infections. Although more of these infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's nursing care, it can be problematic to compare between nursing homes due to facilities having varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Fordham Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 11.59% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications may be helpful for many patients, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may suggest that a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Fordham Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 13.3% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients prescribed antianxiety medications. These medications are generally prescribed to residents suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Fordham Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 13.2% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who are exhibiting depressive symptoms. Many in the industry argue this is a measure of resident quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Fordham Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 91.26% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Fordham Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 14.75% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and bathing. Many in the industry argue that this is a measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Fordham Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 17.32% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of patients that maintained mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a great sign for residents' health.
In Fordham Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. Avoiding the hospital is key to maintaining the physical health of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Fordham Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 17.32 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical abilities of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Fordham Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 8.8 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between keeping patients out of the emergency room and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Fordham Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 75.07% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of short-term care residents that saw functional improvements.
Scores for Bronx, NY
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Bronx, New York has 44 other nursing homes
- St Barnabas HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.38 miles away4422 Third Avenue Bronx New York 10457Voluntary non-profit - Private(212) 960-9000
- Montefiore Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.42 miles away111 East 210th Street Bronx New York 10467Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 920-4321
- Bronx-Lebanon Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.71 miles away1276 Fulton Avenue Bronx New York 10456Proprietary(212) 588-7000
- Jacobi Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.06 miles away1400 Pelham Parkway South Bronx New York 10461Government - Local(718) 918-5000
- Lincoln Medical & Mental Health CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.85 miles away234 East 149th Street Bronx New York 10451Government - Local(718) 579-5000
- Englewood Hospital and Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.96 miles away350 Engle St Englewood New Jersey 07631Voluntary non-profit - Private(201) 894-3000
- St Joseph's Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.15 miles away127 South Broadway Yonkers New York 10701Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 378-7000
- Harlem Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.38 miles away506 Lenox Avenue New York New York 10037Government - Local(212) 939-1000
- Bronx River Nephro Care at the Plaza Rehab & Nursing Center0.18 miles away100 West Kingsbridge Road Bronx New York 10468Dialysis Stations: 15 (347) 982-2420
- Davita Riverdale Dialysis Center0.66 miles away170 W. 233rd Street Bronx New York 10463CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (718) 884-4300
- St. Barnabas Hospital Opd Dialysis Center1.38 miles away4451 Third Avenue Bronx New York 10457CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 40 (718) 960-3860
- Davita Bedford Park Dialysis Center1.42 miles away3119 Webster Avenue Bronx New York 10467CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (718) 920-1530
- Davita Mount Hope Dialysis Center1.54 miles away1940 Webster Avenue 2nd Floor Bronx New York 10457Dialysis Stations: 16 (718) 901-9122
- Davita South Bronx Dialysis Center1.54 miles away1940 Webster Avenue Bronx New York 10457CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (718) 299-9212
- Grand Concourse Dialysis Facility1.73 miles away1780 Grand Concourse Bronx New York 10457CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (718) 583-1800
- Davita Allerton Dialysis1.95 miles away2554 White Plains Rd Bronx New York 10467Dialysis Stations: 25 (718) 231-1285