Fordham Nursing and Rehabilitation Center is a very-large nursing home located in Bronx, New York. This nursing home received an overall rating of F. If you aren't happy with this facility's overall grade, you should be able to find a better option in Bronx. The city has at least 10 other nursing homes. More information on this nursing home's category grades is available below. Its best category was inspections, which is addressed in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Fordham Nursing and Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Note: Fordham Nursing and Rehabilitation Center has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
Get pricing and details on Bronx senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
While we graded this facility incredibly poorly overall, it received a fairly respectable inspection report this year. As a result, it received a decent grade in that category with a score of B-. We believe that one of the most critical factors in assessing an inspection report is deficiencies. We especially look at the severity of those deficiencies. Although this nursing home had some deficiencies on its inspection report, none were major deficiencies based on CMS' deficiency scale. Finally, CMS cited this nursing home for possible abuse or neglect. Hopefully, its performance improves in the future, but until then we simply can't recommend this facility.
Long-term Care Quality
Incredibly, we gave this nursing home a B- for its long-term care grade, which is not a bad grade. In the area of long-term care, we assess the amount of care offered by a nursing home, rather than more healthcare-oriented services. After we finished assessing the volume of care provided by nurses, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination record. Frankly, we were a bit concerned this facility vaccinated only 86.603516 percent of its patients against pneumonia. Fortunately, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Fordham Nursing and Rehabilitation Center?
Short-term Care Quality
This facility also didn't grade out too badly in the category of short-term care. Indeed, we awarded it a grade of C in that category, which wound up being among its higher scores. Short-term care scores are important for individuals requiring rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally utilizes higher levels of skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes a wide spectrum of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other types of therapy. Unfortunately, this place was below average in terms of its number of registered nurse and physical therapy hours provided to its residents based on the metrics we assessed. The critical question is whether this also affected quality of care. The last measure we looked at in this area is the percentage of patients that ultimately returned home from the nursing home. We found that just 0 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
The last area we graded was nursing, where this nursing home received a rock bottom score here also. Unfortunately, we gave it an F for this area, which is definitely very concerning. Nursing scores are mostly tied to the nursing home's nurse staffing. This facility averaged just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in calculating our nursing ratings. This place performed well in terms of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Fordham Nursing and Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Fordham Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 9.58% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of long-term care residents that have pressure ulcers or bed sores. We consider this statistic when determining both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Fordham Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 2.84% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric gauges the percentage of long-term patients who suffered falls which caused severe injury. This is one of the statistics we use in computing nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Fordham Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 0.69% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely the result of worse hygiene protocols. Additional nurse staffing can limit the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. Keep in mind that this datapoint is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have different reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Fordham Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 13.58% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are prescribed to residents for a variety of medical conditions, such as dementia. Unfortunately, in limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may suggest a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Fordham Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 6.79% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint is an indication of the percentage of long-term patients that were administered antianxiety medication. These medications are typically prescribed to patients experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Fordham Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 2.71% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who are showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Fordham Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 78.67% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home residents, making these vaccines important for resident well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Fordham Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 18.55% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term stay residents that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and using the bathroom. Some experts would argue this is a reasonable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Fordham Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 12.16% of Residents
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care patients who maintained mobility. Many believe that the ability to move around is vital to residents' physical and mental well-being.
In Fordham Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 0.02 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Fordham Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 12.16% of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. Avoiding the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Fordham Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 6.86% of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between reduced emergency room visits and the quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Fordham Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 85.24% of Resident
This is a measure of the percent of short-term patients that saw functional improvements.
Scores for Bronx, NY
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Bronx, New York has 14 other nursing homes
- St Barnabas HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.38 miles away4422 Third Avenue Bronx New York 10457Voluntary non-profit - Private(212) 960-9000
- Montefiore Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.42 miles away111 East 210th Street Bronx New York 10467Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 920-4321
- Bronx-Lebanon Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.71 miles away1276 Fulton Avenue Bronx New York 10456Proprietary(212) 588-7000
- Jacobi Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.06 miles away1400 Pelham Parkway South Bronx New York 10461Government - Local(718) 918-5000
- Lincoln Medical & Mental Health CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.85 miles away234 East 149th Street Bronx New York 10451Government - Local(718) 579-5000
- Englewood Hospital and Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.96 miles away350 Engle St Englewood New Jersey 07631Voluntary non-profit - Private(201) 894-3000
- St Joseph's Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.15 miles away127 South Broadway Yonkers New York 10701Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 378-7000
- Harlem Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.38 miles away506 Lenox Avenue New York New York 10037Government - Local(212) 939-1000
- Bronx River Nephro Care at the Plaza Rehab & Nursing Center0.18 miles away100 West Kingsbridge Road Bronx New York 10468Dialysis Stations: 15 (347) 982-2420
- Davita Riverdale Dialysis Center0.66 miles away170 W. 233rd Street Bronx New York 10463CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (718) 884-4300
- St. Barnabas Hospital Opd Dialysis Center1.38 miles away4451 Third Avenue Bronx New York 10457CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 40 (718) 960-3860
- Davita Bedford Park Dialysis Center1.42 miles away3119 Webster Avenue Bronx New York 10467CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (718) 920-1530
- Davita Mount Hope Dialysis Center1.54 miles away1940 Webster Avenue 2nd Floor Bronx New York 10457Dialysis Stations: 16 (718) 901-9122
- Davita South Bronx Dialysis Center1.54 miles away1940 Webster Avenue Bronx New York 10457CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (718) 299-9212
- Grand Concourse Dialysis Facility1.73 miles away1780 Grand Concourse Bronx New York 10457CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (718) 583-1800
- Davita Allerton Dialysis1.95 miles away2554 White Plains Rd Bronx New York 10467Dialysis Stations: 25 (718) 231-1285