Forbes Center for Rehab and Healthcare is a large nursing home in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. With an overall rating of B-, this appears to be a respectable nursing home. The facilities in Pittsburgh received quality scores across the board with a city grade of a B. The best part of this nursing home's profile was its stellar inspection grade. We discuss inspections in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Forbes Center for Rehab and Healthcare
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Pittsburgh senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
The main reason this nursing home received a decent overall score is its excellent inspections in recent years. We awarded it one of our higher scores in that area, with an A. This is a notably better score than the place's overall grade, which was decent but not in the elite range. Inspection grades are tied to many items located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes that excel in this area tend to have few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these nursing homes generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. This particular nursing home received 14 deficiencies on its inspection report. Overall, this is still a good inspection report, but we'd always recommend looking into any deficiencies you find troubling.
Short-term Care Quality
One of this facility's higher category grades was in the category of short-term care. This wound up being its second most respectable category. In that category, we awarded this facility a B-. Our short-term care grades are critical for individuals seeking rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically requires more skilled nursing. This means a broad scope of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the data they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final item we assessed in this area is the number of patients that who were able to eventually return home from the nursing home. We found that just 0 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home. Unfortunately, this was below average.
Does this page answer your questions about Forbes Center for Rehab and Healthcare?
We also gave this nursing home a decent score in the category of nursing care, with a grade of C. Our nursing grade looks at the facility's level of nurse staffing. We weigh both the levels of licensure of those nurses and the number of hours spent with residents. This place provides only 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident on a daily basis. This is a somewhat alarming figure which is well below the national average. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures. Although this facility got dinged a bit for its nursing hours per resident, it actually excelled in some of these quality metrics. With less than five percent of its patients suffering from pressure ulcers, it performed very well in this metric. This is typically an indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can often be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as by employing a policy of turning patients more frequently.
Long-term Care Quality
The next category we rated was long-term care. We gave this facility a grade of D in our long-term care category, rendering this the facility's least impressive category. When facilities receive a score in this range in this category it typically means the facility didn't perform well in our measures relating to resident care. On top of considering the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. We were a bit worried that this nursing home gave the vaccine to a relatively low 72.77228 percent of its residents. To our surprise, this place was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this facility has less hospitalizations than most nursing homes. This was its best feature in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Forbes Center for Rehab and Healthcare Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Forbes Center for Rehab and Healthcare, 7.61% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure measures the percent of long-term residents which developed pressure ulcers. We have found that pressure ulcers are an measure of quality of care.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Forbes Center for Rehab and Healthcare, 3.38% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic indicates the percent of long-term residents who had a fall which resulted in severe injury. This is one of the statistics we use in computing our nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Forbes Center for Rehab and Healthcare, 1.85% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. These infections may be associated with insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Forbes Center for Rehab and Healthcare, 15.28% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint tells you the percentage of long-term patients who are administered antipsychotic drugs. Increased usage of these drugs may mean a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior in situations where such drugs are not medically required. However, some facilities need to rely more on these medications due to an increased number of residents suffering from Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Forbes Center for Rehab and Healthcare, 18.78% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients prescribed antianxiety medications. These drugs are generally prescribed to patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Forbes Center for Rehab and Healthcare, 3.3% of Patients
This is the percent of patients showing symptoms of depression. High rates of depression could be a sign a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Forbes Center for Rehab and Healthcare, 86.27% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Forbes Center for Rehab and Healthcare, 15.17% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living could indicate deterioration of a patient's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Forbes Center for Rehab and Healthcare, 17.92% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percentage of long-term care patients that retained mobility levels. Some argue that mobility is critical to patients physical and mental health.
In Forbes Center for Rehab and Healthcare, 1.44 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Forbes Center for Rehab and Healthcare, 17.92 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. Avoiding rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical abilities of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Forbes Center for Rehab and Healthcare, 9.68 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between reduced emergency room visits and the quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Forbes Center for Rehab and Healthcare, 73.03% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term stay patients who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Pittsburgh, PA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania has 12 other nursing homes
- West Penn HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.94 miles away4800 Friendship Avenue Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15224Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 578-5000
- Upmc St MargaretAcute Care Hospitals 2.11 miles away815 Freeport Road Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15215Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 784-4000
- Upmc Presbyterian ShadysideAcute Care Hospitals 2.94 miles away200 Lothrop Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15213Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 647-8788
- Magee Womens Hospital of Upmc Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 3.04 miles away300 Halket Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15213Voluntary non-profit - Other(412) 641-4010
- Upmc MercyAcute Care Hospitals 4.28 miles away1400 Locust Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15219Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 232-8111
- Allegheny General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.9 miles away320 East North Avenue Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15212Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 359-3131
- Upmc EastAcute Care Hospitals 8.03 miles away2775 Mosside Boulevard Monroeville Pennsylvania 15146Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 357-3000
- Upmc MckeesportAcute Care Hospitals 8.03 miles away1500 Fifth Avenue Mckeesport Pennsylvania 15132Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 664-2000
- Dci Renal Services of Pittsburgh, LLC - Point Breeze1.14 miles away7620 Meade Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15221Dialysis Stations: 22 (412) 247-5223
- Davita - East End Pittsburgh1.18 miles away7714 Penn Avenue Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15221CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (412) 241-6790
- Davita Pittsburgh Home Modality Coe Pd1.72 miles away5171 Liberty Avenue, Building A Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15224Dialysis Stations: 6 (412) 605-0415
- Davita Bloomfield - Pittsburgh1.72 miles away5171 Liberty Avenue, Suite C Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15224CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (412) 683-3212
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Western Pennsylvania1.74 miles away5124 Liberty Avenue Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15224Dialysis Stations: 23 (412) 682-0205
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Shadyside1.91 miles away4925 Baum Boulevard Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15213Dialysis Stations: 20 (412) 687-2279
- Upmc Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh2.28 miles awayOne Children's Hospital Drive 4401 Penn Avenue Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15224Dialysis Stations: 6 (412) 864-8717
- Davita - Pittsburgh Dialysis2.36 miles away4312 Penn Avenue Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15224Dialysis Stations: 12 (412) 681-8556