Forbes Center for Rehab and Healthcare is a large nursing home in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. With an overall rating of C, this appears to be a respectable nursing home. We wanted to point out that Pittsburgh received a city grade of B+, so you may wish to look at other options in the city as well. This facility did not meet our expectations in every category we looked at, but it didn't receive any terrible grades either. More information about these categories can be found below.
Forbes Center for Rehab and Healthcare
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
6655 Frankstown Avenue,
Pittsburgh PA 15206
90.53% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
We want to point out that this facility really outperformed its overall score in the area of inspections. In fact, it received an excellent inspection report this year. As a result, it received one of our highest scores in this category with a grade of A. Inspection grades weigh several factors found on a facility's inspection reports. One key criteria we consider is the number and severity of deficiencies. Places with better grades in this area usually have very few of these severe deficiencies. This particular nursing home received 14 deficiencies on its inspection report. Overall, this is still a solid inspection report, but we'd always recommend looking into any deficiencies you find troubling.
Long-term Care Quality
Another one of this nursing home's more favorable category grades was in the area of long-term care. In that category, we awarded this facility a B. It actually outpaced most nursing homes in this category. Nursing homes that receive this kind of score in this category typically provide consistent around the clock care to ensure patients are kept in good health. One of the criteria we considered in addition to nurse's aid hours is vaccinations. This facility administered the pneumonia vaccination to 61.452515 percent of its patients. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Forbes Center for Rehab and Healthcare?
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to the area of short-term care, this nursing home received just a D in that area. In the area of short-term care, we seek to evaluate measures of a nursing home's rehabilitation services. We look at a nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as the ones performed by registered nurses and physical therapists. With a grade in this range for this area, we weren't surprised to find this nursing home was well below average in two of the key staffing figures we looked at. The facility offered far fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per patient than most other nursing homes. Lastly, we assessed the number of patients that were able to return home from this facility. This nursing home didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 0 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home.
The final category we graded was nursing, is this facility's least impressive area. We gave this facility a grade of D in that area. Nursing ratings are based in large part on quantity of nursing care available. With only 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident each day, this facility's nurse staffing levels were far below average. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This place fared well when it comes to minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these statistics to be reliable indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Forbes Center for Rehab and Healthcare Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Forbes Center for Rehab and Healthcare, 7.59% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This gauges the percentage of long-term patients that are suffering from new or worsened pressure ulcers or bed sores. We bake this statistic into both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Forbes Center for Rehab and Healthcare, 3.37% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients who suffered from a fall resulting in serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Forbes Center for Rehab and Healthcare, 1.9% of Patients had UTIs
This metric is an indication of the percentage of long-term patients who experienced a UTI. UTI's could be an indicator of worse hygiene protocols. However, this statistic could be misleading for some nursing homes due to different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Forbes Center for Rehab and Healthcare, 15.54% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of residents who were given antipsychotic medications. These medications are sometimes used for a variety of medical conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Forbes Center for Rehab and Healthcare, 19.74% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint tells you the percentage of long-term patients who are administered antianxiety drugs. These drugs are given to patients experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Forbes Center for Rehab and Healthcare, 3.12% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term residents showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Forbes Center for Rehab and Healthcare, 88.22% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term patients that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home patients, making these types of vaccines critical to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Forbes Center for Rehab and Healthcare, 14.84% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term residents that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and eating. Some believe that this is a measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Forbes Center for Rehab and Healthcare, 21.64% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term residents that maintained mobility. Some experts would argue that the ability to move around is important for patients mental and physical health.
In Forbes Center for Rehab and Healthcare, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Forbes Center for Rehab and Healthcare, 21.64 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Forbes Center for Rehab and Healthcare, 8.92 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Forbes Center for Rehab and Healthcare, 72.59% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percentage of short-term stay residents who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many would argue this is a reasonable measure of rehabilitation services.
Scores for Pittsburgh, PA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania has 28 other nursing homes
- West Penn HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.94 miles away4800 Friendship Avenue Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15224Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 578-5000
- Upmc St MargaretAcute Care Hospitals 2.11 miles away815 Freeport Road Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15215Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 784-4000
- Upmc Presbyterian ShadysideAcute Care Hospitals 2.94 miles away200 Lothrop Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15213Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 647-8788
- Magee Womens Hospital of Upmc Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 3.04 miles away300 Halket Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15213Voluntary non-profit - Other(412) 641-4010
- Upmc MercyAcute Care Hospitals 4.28 miles away1400 Locust Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15219Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 232-8111
- Allegheny General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.9 miles away320 East North Avenue Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15212Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 359-3131
- Upmc EastAcute Care Hospitals 8.03 miles away2775 Mosside Boulevard Monroeville Pennsylvania 15146Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 357-3000
- Upmc MckeesportAcute Care Hospitals 8.03 miles away1500 Fifth Avenue Mckeesport Pennsylvania 15132Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 664-2000
- Dci Renal Services of Pittsburgh, LLC - Point Breeze1.14 miles away7620 Meade Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15221Dialysis Stations: 22 (412) 247-5223
- Davita - East End Pittsburgh1.18 miles away7714 Penn Avenue Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15221CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (412) 241-6790
- Davita Pittsburgh Home Modality Coe Pd1.72 miles away5171 Liberty Avenue, Building A Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15224Dialysis Stations: 6 (412) 605-0415
- Davita Bloomfield - Pittsburgh1.72 miles away5171 Liberty Avenue, Suite C Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15224CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (412) 683-3212
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Western Pennsylvania1.74 miles away5124 Liberty Avenue Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15224Dialysis Stations: 23 (412) 682-0205
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Shadyside1.91 miles away4925 Baum Boulevard Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15213Dialysis Stations: 20 (412) 687-2279
- Upmc Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh2.28 miles awayOne Children's Hospital Drive 4401 Penn Avenue Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15224Dialysis Stations: 6 (412) 864-8717
- Davita - Pittsburgh Dialysis2.36 miles away4312 Penn Avenue Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15224Dialysis Stations: 12 (412) 681-8556