Forbes Center for Rehab and Healthcare is a large nursing home in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. With an overall rating of D, this is a lower end facility. In our grading scheme, this is ranked as one of the ten worst rated facilities in Pittsburgh. In a city with more than 20 other facilities, you ought to be able to find a better option. If you aren't deterred by this facility's profile, you can continue reading to find out about its category grades. We discuss inspections in the next paragraph.
Forbes Center for Rehab and Healthcare
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
While we were fairly low on this nursing home overall, we awarded it an A for our inspections rating. This score is significantly more impressive than the facility's overall score. Our inspection scores weigh several factors found on a facility's inspection report. One of the most important criteria we weigh heavily is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. You generally want to avoid places with a bunch of deficiencies flagged. This particular nursing home received 14 deficiencies on its inspection report. Overall, this is still a solid inspection report, but we'd always recommend looking into any deficiencies you find troubling.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home's next best area was long-term care. We gave it a C in this area. This is basically a middle of the road score in this category. For patients seeking a permanent place to live as opposed to skilled nursing, long-term care grades are very important. After considering the amount of nursing care, we next considered the facility's vaccination record. We were a bit alarmed this facility vaccinated a relatively low 67.27642 percent of its patients for pneumonia. Nevertheless, this facility keeps its residents out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Forbes Center for Rehab and Healthcare?
We were surprised to find that this nursing home also excelled in the area of nursing. We gave it an impressive grade of D for that category, which is one of our highest grades. We analyzed the skill-level of nurses at the facility, in addition to the quantity of time the nurses were with patients, in calculating our rating in this category. With just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident on a daily basis, this facility's nurse staffing levels were far below average. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing ratings. This nursing home fared well in terms of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers.
Short-term Care Quality
Switching gears to our final area, this nursing home really didn't perform very well in this category either. Due to a rock bottom grade of F in short-term care, this is really as as uninspiring as it gets. With our short-term care score, we strive to craft a fair barometer for rehabilitation. In doing so, we look at a facility's offerings of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as speech therapy. Considering its grade in this area, we weren't stunned to discover that this place was well below average in terms of the number of physical therapy and registered nurse hours provided to its patients based on the measures we looked at. Finally, we considered the number of residents who ultimately returned home from this facility. This facility didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 3.6 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Forbes Center for Rehab and Healthcare Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Forbes Center for Rehab and Healthcare, 7.72% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of long-term stay residents who suffered from pressure ulcers. We find that pressure ulcers are a solid barometer of the quality of nursing care a facility provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Forbes Center for Rehab and Healthcare, 3.42% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients that have had a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injury are routinely the result of lower quality nursing care. Better nursing protocols can minimize the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Forbes Center for Rehab and Healthcare, 1.92% of Patients had UTIs
This figure measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who experienced UTI's. Although a higher rate of these infections could reflect poorly on a facility's nursing care, it can be difficult to compare between facilities due to nursing homes having inconsistent reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Forbes Center for Rehab and Healthcare, 15.49% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of patients prescribed antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many residents, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited situations, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Forbes Center for Rehab and Healthcare, 19.89% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are given to patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Forbes Center for Rehab and Healthcare, 3.23% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who are demonstrating symptoms of depression. Increased rates of depression could reveal worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Forbes Center for Rehab and Healthcare, 88.5% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for seniors, making these vaccines critical to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Forbes Center for Rehab and Healthcare, 15.28% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Forbes Center for Rehab and Healthcare, 23.65% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of residents that maintained mobility over time. Preserving mobility is often a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Forbes Center for Rehab and Healthcare, 1.24 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. There is a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the overall quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Forbes Center for Rehab and Healthcare, 23.65 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Forbes Center for Rehab and Healthcare, 8.84 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Forbes Center for Rehab and Healthcare, 72.22% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percentage of short-term stay residents who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many would argue that this is a reasonable measure of rehabilitation services.
Scores for Pittsburgh, PA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania has 28 other nursing homes
- West Penn HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.94 miles away4800 Friendship Avenue Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15224Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 578-5000
- Upmc St MargaretAcute Care Hospitals 2.11 miles away815 Freeport Road Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15215Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 784-4000
- Upmc Presbyterian ShadysideAcute Care Hospitals 2.94 miles away200 Lothrop Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15213Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 647-8788
- Magee Womens Hospital of Upmc Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 3.04 miles away300 Halket Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15213Voluntary non-profit - Other(412) 641-4010
- Upmc MercyAcute Care Hospitals 4.28 miles away1400 Locust Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15219Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 232-8111
- Allegheny General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.9 miles away320 East North Avenue Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15212Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 359-3131
- Upmc EastAcute Care Hospitals 8.03 miles away2775 Mosside Boulevard Monroeville Pennsylvania 15146Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 357-3000
- Upmc MckeesportAcute Care Hospitals 8.03 miles away1500 Fifth Avenue Mckeesport Pennsylvania 15132Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 664-2000
- Dci Renal Services of Pittsburgh, LLC - Point Breeze1.14 miles away7620 Meade Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15221Dialysis Stations: 22 (412) 247-5223
- Davita - East End Pittsburgh1.18 miles away7714 Penn Avenue Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15221CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (412) 241-6790
- Davita Pittsburgh Home Modality Coe Pd1.72 miles away5171 Liberty Avenue, Building A Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15224Dialysis Stations: 6 (412) 605-0415
- Davita Bloomfield - Pittsburgh1.72 miles away5171 Liberty Avenue, Suite C Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15224CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (412) 683-3212
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Western Pennsylvania1.74 miles away5124 Liberty Avenue Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15224Dialysis Stations: 23 (412) 682-0205
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Shadyside1.91 miles away4925 Baum Boulevard Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15213Dialysis Stations: 20 (412) 687-2279
- Upmc Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh2.28 miles awayOne Children's Hospital Drive 4401 Penn Avenue Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15224Dialysis Stations: 6 (412) 864-8717
- Davita - Pittsburgh Dialysis2.36 miles away4312 Penn Avenue Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15224Dialysis Stations: 12 (412) 681-8556