Foothills Rehabilitation Center is one of 21 nursing homes in Tucson, Arizona. It looks like this nursing home is one of the higher-rated nursing homes we assessed. A grade in this range requires first-rate marks across the board. In fact, we were so impressed with this facility that we rated it ahead of the majority of the facilities in Tucson, which has a decent selection of nursing homes. This nursing home also received consistently good ratings in all of the major categories we assessed. Additional information about these categories is available below.
Foothills Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Bariatric Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with a favorable overall score, we gave this facility an A+ for inspections. Inspection scores account for a host of factors included in a nursing home's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we consider is the number and severity of deficiencies. Nursing homes with better scores in this category generally have few of these severe deficiencies. This facility was assessed 5 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none were considered to be major deficiencies. This tells you that CMS didn't consider any of the deficiencies an imminent risk to patient health or safety. A couple minor dings are not necessarily the end of the world.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home also received a top-shelf short-term care grade. Indeed, this is this facility's second strongest category grade. In that category, this facility received a score of A-. Our short-term care grades are important for individuals in need of rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually requires additional skilled nursing. This includes a broad scope of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, according to the data they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final metric we looked at in this area is the percentage of residents who were able to return home from the nursing home. We found that 5.8 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Does this page answer your questions about Foothills Rehabilitation Center?
Long-term Care Quality
We also would like to alert you to the fact that this facility was awarded an elite score of A- in our long-term care category. Long-term care ratings of this caliber generally require both around the clock care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine healthcare services. One of the datapoints we considered in addition to nursing hours was vaccines. This facility provided the pneumonia vaccine to 100 percent of its patients. This is a great way to avoid unnecessary deaths and hospitalizations for the elderly population. Lastly, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
In the last category we looked at, this nursing home was given an impressive grade grade of B+ in our nursing category. With this grade, the nursing home topped off a very strong report card. Nursing ratings are primarily associated with the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home averages 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This place performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can generally be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Foothills Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Foothills Rehabilitation Center, 9.03% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of long-term residents that developed new or worsened pressure ulcers. Many experts believe that pressure ulcers are a reliable barometer of the quality of nursing care a facility provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Foothills Rehabilitation Center, 2.25% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint gauges the percentage of long-term patients who suffered falls which resulted in major injury. We use this statistic in determining nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Foothills Rehabilitation Center, 1.58% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are often the result of a facility with lower levels of hygiene. Nevertheless, this statistic may be misleading for some nursing homes due to different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Foothills Rehabilitation Center, 11.13% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents who were given antipsychotic medications. These drugs are used for a variety of medical conditions, including cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Foothills Rehabilitation Center, 16.92% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are typically prescribed to residents suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Foothills Rehabilitation Center, 2.87% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients showing signs of depression. Many in the industry argue that this is a measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Foothills Rehabilitation Center, 81.19% of Patients
This is the percent of residents that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Foothills Rehabilitation Center, 12.86% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and continence. Many in the industry would argue that this is a reasonable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Foothills Rehabilitation Center, 23.01% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who maintained mobility. Some experts believe that mobility is important for residents' health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Foothills Rehabilitation Center, 23.01 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Foothills Rehabilitation Center, 10.95 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Foothills Rehabilitation Center, 73.63% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percent of short-term stay residents who experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Tucson, AZ
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Tucson, Arizona has 20 other nursing homes
- Tucson Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.31 miles away5301 East Grant Road Tucson Arizona 85712Voluntary non-profit - Private(520) 327-5461
- Palo Verde Behavioral HealthPsychiatric 0.47 miles away2695 North Craycroft Road Tucson Arizona 85712Voluntary non-profit - Private(520) 322-2888
- St Joseph's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.91 miles away350 North Wilmot Road Tucson Arizona 85711Voluntary non-profit - Other(520) 873-3000
- Banner - University Medical Center Tucson CampusAcute Care Hospitals 4.06 miles away1625 North Campbell Avenue Tucson Arizona 85724Voluntary non-profit - Private(520) 874-4189
- Banner-University Medical Center South CampusAcute Care Hospitals 5.85 miles away2800 East Ajo Way Tucson Arizona 85713Voluntary non-profit - Private(520) 874-2000
- St. Mary's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.43 miles away1601 West St Mary's Road Tucson Arizona 85745Voluntary non-profit - Private(520) 872-3000
- Sonora Behavioral Health HospitalPsychiatric 9.12 miles away6050 North Corona Road Tucson Arizona 85704Proprietary(520) 469-8700
- Northwest Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.44 miles away6200 North La Cholla Boulevard Tucson Arizona 85741Proprietary(520) 469-8100
- Swan Dialysis1.18 miles away1635 N Swan Road Tucson Arizona 85712Dialysis Stations: 12 (520) 327-1125
- East Tucson (Fmc)1.35 miles away5555 E 5th St #155 Tucson Arizona 85711CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (520) 790-0461
- Tucson East Dialysis (Dva)2.37 miles away6420 E Broadway Blvd Ste c300 Tucson Arizona 85710CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (520) 790-2775
- Tucson Central Dialysis (Dva)3.15 miles away2901 E Grant Rd Tucson Arizona 85716CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (520) 325-3408
- Banner University Medical Center Pediatric Outpatient Dialysis Unit4.15 miles awayPO Box 245148 Tucson Arizona 85724Dialysis Stations: 4 (520) 694-7176
- Desert Dialysis Center (Dci)4.17 miles away2022 E Prince Rd Tucson Arizona 85719Dialysis Stations: 19 (520) 327-0007
- Tucson West Dialysis Center (Fmc)5.79 miles away100 W Grant Rd Tucson Arizona 85705CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (520) 624-0266
- South Tucson Dialysis (Fmc)6.76 miles away2802 South 6th Ave Tucson Arizona 85713Dialysis Stations: 24 (520) 792-2999