Foothill Heights Care Center turns out to be one of a host of nursing home options to choose from in Pasadena, California. We awarded it an overall grade of C, which is a middle of the road rating. This grade is not too far off the city grade for Pasadena, which is a B-. We were also pleased to discover that this facility received consistently decent grades in each of our categories. Additional information about these categories can be found below.
Foothill Heights Care Center
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
- Adult Day Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Aquatic Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
While this nursing home's overall grade was decent, it really excelled in the area of nursing. We awarded it an A- for that category, which is one of our highest scores. When calculating a nursing home's nursing rating, we weigh the number of hours nurses commit to patients and the level of skill of the nurses. This facility provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well in the area of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
This facilities second most favorable area was long-term care. We awarded it a B- in this area. This is essentially a middle of the road score in this area. In computing these long-term care scores, we analyze the facility's personal care services. On top of assessing the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility administered the vaccine to 99.242424 percent of its residents, which is higher than the vast majority of nursing homes. This place keeps its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Foothill Heights Care Center?
Looking to our inspection category, we gave this nursing home a grade of C. Our inspection grades are based on the facility's health inspection reports. Inspection scores weigh several factors, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can find more information about each of these factors by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This facility was assessed 8 deficiencies on its government inspection report, but we were relieved to find that none were in categories G through L. This indicates that this facility avoided the more serious categories of deficiencies. Unfortunately, we also need to draw your attention to the fact that this facility received significant government fines in recent years.
Short-term Care Quality
Switching gears to the fourth area, this facility was given a respectable short-term care grade of C. Our short-term care ratings are based in part on a nursing home's quantity of highly-skilled nursing services. This includes a broad spectrum of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other types of therapy. We found that this place was below average in the two key staffing areas we focus on. In fact, it supplied fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other nursing homes. It is important to determine whether this also correlates to a lower quality of care. Lastly, we considered the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 4.6 percent of this facility's residents returned home. At most nursing homes, closer to half of their patients are able to return home so this figure is below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Foothill Heights Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Foothill Heights Care Center, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are often the result of residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Foothill Heights Care Center, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents that have had a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injuries are routinely associated with lower quality nursing care. More supervision can minimize the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Foothill Heights Care Center, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely the result of poor nursing care. More frequent bathing reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Keep in mind that this datapoint is affected by by the fact that nursing homes have incongruent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Foothill Heights Care Center, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. These medications may be used for a variety of medical conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Foothill Heights Care Center, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure gauges the percent of long-term patients who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are typically used to treat patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Foothill Heights Care Center, 4.64% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who are demonstrating symptoms of depression. Many believe that this is a reliable measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Foothill Heights Care Center, 95.44% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Foothill Heights Care Center, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and taking a bath. Some would argue that this is a measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Foothill Heights Care Center, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of patients that were able to retain mobility over time. Preserving mobility is usually a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Foothill Heights Care Center, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Foothill Heights Care Center, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Foothill Heights Care Center, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between keeping patients out of the emergency room and the overall quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Foothill Heights Care Center, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percentage of short-term stay patients that saw functional improvements.
Scores for Pasadena, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Pasadena, California has 13 other nursing homes
- Huntington Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.51 miles away100 W California Blvd Pasadena California 91109Voluntary non-profit - Other(626) 397-5000
- Usc Verdugo Hills HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.44 miles away1812 Verdugo Blvd Glendale California 91209Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 790-7100
- Glendale Adventist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.78 miles away1509 E Wilson Terrace Glendale California 91206Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 409-8202
- San Gabriel Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.51 miles away438 W Las Tunas Drive San Gabriel California 91776Proprietary(626) 289-5454
- Methodist Hospital of Southern CaAcute Care Hospitals 6.76 miles away300 W Huntington Dr Arcadia California 91006Voluntary non-profit - Private(626) 445-4441
- Glendale Mem Hospital & Hlth CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.78 miles away1420 S Central Ave Glendale California 91204Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 502-1900
- Garfield Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.41 miles away525 N Garfield Ave Monterey Park California 91754Proprietary(626) 573-2222
- Lac+Usc Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.4 miles away1200 N State St, Room c2k100 Los Angeles California 90033Government - Local(323) 226-2800
- Davita-Huntington Dialysis2.28 miles away390 S. Fair Oaks Blvd. Pasadena California 91105Dialysis Stations: 25 (626) 564-2818
- Fmc-Liberty West Pasadena2.73 miles away757 S. Raymond Avenue Pasadena California 91105Dialysis Stations: 21 (626) 396-6957
- Huntington Dialysis Center2.78 miles away806 S. Fair Oaks Avenue Pasadena California 91105CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 48 (626) 792-0548
- Fmc-Arroyo Dialysis Center2.78 miles away1111 S. Arroyo Parkway, Suite 150 Pasadena California 91105CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (626) 441-9500
- Davita-Eaton Canyon Dialysis3.05 miles away2551 E. Washington Blvd. Pasadena California 91107CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (626) 798-8896
- u.s. Renal Care Verdugo Hills Dialysis4.31 miles away1808 Verdugo Blvd., Suite 200 Glendale California 91208Dialysis Stations: 25 (818) 790-0712
- Davita-North Glendale4.81 miles away1505 Wilson Terrace, Suite 190 Glendale California 91206CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (818) 637-8348
- Davita-Pasadena Foothills Dialysis Center4.86 miles away3722 E. Colorado Blvd. Pasadena California 91107CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (626) 432-4331