Located in Pasadena, California, Foothill Heights Care Center is one of seven available nursing homes there. We awarded it an overall grade of B-, which is a middle of the pack rating. This grade was right in line with the city grade in Pasadena. We were also pleased to find that this nursing home received consistently decent grades in all of the major categories. Additional information about these categories is available below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Foothill Heights Care Center
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
- Adult Day Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Pasadena senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Aquatic Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
We awarded this nursing home one of our better scores in nursing, with an A. This is a notably better grade than the facility's overall score, which was decent but not in the elite range. The nursing rating assesses several subcategories, but the primary consideration is the quantity of nurse hours spent with patients. This nursing home provides 0 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well in the area of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
The second most favorable area we awarded this facility in any area came in the category of short-term care, where we awarded it a B-. In the area of short-term care, we attempt to assess measures of a facility's rehabilitation. We analyze the facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses and physical, occupational and other therapists. It doesn't appear that this facility provided information about its staffing of registered nurses or physical therapists. The final statistic we looked at in this category is the percentage of patients that ultimately returned home from the facility. We found that just 4.6 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Foothill Heights Care Center?
Long-term Care Quality
We also awarded this facility a respectable score in the area of long-term care, where we awarded it a B-. For long-term care residents, the primary goal is to maintain residents' quality of life and keep them safe. After considering the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination record. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which is more than the vast majority of nursing homes. Lastly, this facility was also able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0.03 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Finally, turning to inspections, we gave this facility a score of C. Our inspection grade is based on the facility's government inspection reports. Our inspection ratings weigh several factors included in a nursing home's inspection reports. One key criteria we weigh heavily is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. This nursing home was hit with 8 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none were in any of the categories labeled G through L. This indicates the government inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies to be an imminent threat to resident health or safety. Unfortunately, we also need to draw your attention to the fact that this facility received significant government fines in recent years.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Foothill Heights Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Foothill Heights Care Center, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin due to remaining in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Foothill Heights Care Center, 1.84% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents who sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in major injuries are considered to be a measure of nursing care . Falls are routinely the result of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Foothill Heights Care Center, 1.34% of Patients had UTIs
This figure gauges the percentage of long-term care residents who experienced urinary tract infections. UTI's may be an indication of worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this metric could also be skewed for certain nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Foothill Heights Care Center, 10.3% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents given antipsychotic medications. These drugs are used to treat a variety of conditions, including dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Foothill Heights Care Center, 13.84% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who were given antianxiety drugs. These drugs are used to treat patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Foothill Heights Care Center, 5.83% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients exhibiting symptoms of depression. Many in the industry argue this is a measure of patient quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Foothill Heights Care Center, 95.65% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home residents, making these vaccines critical to patient well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Foothill Heights Care Center, 8.26% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Foothill Heights Care Center, 10.41% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percentage of long-term residents who were able to retain mobility.
In Foothill Heights Care Center, 1.78 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Foothill Heights Care Center, 10.41 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Foothill Heights Care Center, 11.34 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Foothill Heights Care Center, 79.12% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term care residents who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of autonomy with activities of daily living usually correlates with better rehabilitation services.
Scores for Pasadena, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Pasadena, California has 6 other nursing homes
- Huntington Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.51 miles away100 W California Blvd Pasadena California 91109Voluntary non-profit - Other(626) 397-5000
- Usc Verdugo Hills HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.44 miles away1812 Verdugo Blvd Glendale California 91209Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 790-7100
- Glendale Adventist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.78 miles away1509 E Wilson Terrace Glendale California 91206Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 409-8202
- San Gabriel Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.51 miles away438 W Las Tunas Drive San Gabriel California 91776Proprietary(626) 289-5454
- Methodist Hospital of Southern CaAcute Care Hospitals 6.76 miles away300 W Huntington Dr Arcadia California 91006Voluntary non-profit - Private(626) 445-4441
- Glendale Mem Hospital & Hlth CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.78 miles away1420 S Central Ave Glendale California 91204Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 502-1900
- Garfield Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.41 miles away525 N Garfield Ave Monterey Park California 91754Proprietary(626) 573-2222
- Lac+Usc Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.4 miles away1200 N State St, Room c2k100 Los Angeles California 90033Government - Local(323) 226-2800
- Davita-Huntington Dialysis2.28 miles away390 S. Fair Oaks Blvd. Pasadena California 91105Dialysis Stations: 25 (626) 564-2818
- Fmc-Liberty West Pasadena2.73 miles away757 S. Raymond Avenue Pasadena California 91105Dialysis Stations: 21 (626) 396-6957
- Huntington Dialysis Center2.78 miles away806 S. Fair Oaks Avenue Pasadena California 91105CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 48 (626) 792-0548
- Fmc-Arroyo Dialysis Center2.78 miles away1111 S. Arroyo Parkway, Suite 150 Pasadena California 91105CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (626) 441-9500
- Davita-Eaton Canyon Dialysis3.05 miles away2551 E. Washington Blvd. Pasadena California 91107CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (626) 798-8896
- u.s. Renal Care Verdugo Hills Dialysis4.31 miles away1808 Verdugo Blvd., Suite 200 Glendale California 91208Dialysis Stations: 25 (818) 790-0712
- Davita-North Glendale4.81 miles away1505 Wilson Terrace, Suite 190 Glendale California 91206CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (818) 637-8348
- Davita-Pasadena Foothills Dialysis Center4.86 miles away3722 E. Colorado Blvd. Pasadena California 91107CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (626) 432-4331