Focused Care at Stonebriar is located in Austin, Texas. This city is among the largest cities in the nation with has 940,359 people. We awarded this nursing home an overall grade of D. A score of this caliber typically indicates a few concerning datapoints. If you aren't happy with this facility's overall grade, you should be able to find a better option in Austin. The city has at least 10 other nursing homes. If you aren't deterred by this nursing home's report card, you can continue reading to learn more about its category grades. Inspection reports are discussed in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Focused Care at Stonebriar
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Austin senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Although we did not rate this facility highly overall, we want to point out its excellent health inspections in recent years. We awarded them an impressive grade of A- in this category. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in computing our inspection grades. One of those factors is deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the quantity of deficiencies, as some of these are relatively minor. While this nursing home had some deficiencies on its government inspection report, none of them were serious based on CMS' scale. A couple minor deficiencies are not necessarily the end of the world.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home was given its next best category grade in the category of long-term care. We awarded this nursing home a grade of B- in this area, which is an acceptable grade. Our long-term care grade assesses a facility's assistance with daily living rather than the highly skilled therapy or medical services that are critical to a skilled nursing facility. On top of looking at the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its patients. Lastly, this nursing home was also able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Focused Care at Stonebriar?
Short-term Care Quality
This facility's second lowest score was short-term care, where it earned just a D in that area. This is a relatively poor score. In determining our short-term care grades, we size up a facility's levels of skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists respiratory therapists and other highly trained professionals. This rating is frequently a reliable assessment of the nursing home's ability to rehabilitate patients. Not surprisingly, we found that this nursing home provides far less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the average facility. The last datapoint we looked at in this category is the percentage of residents that who were able to eventually return home from the facility. This facility struggled quite a bit in this metric as well, with just 0 percent of its patients returning home. This was well below the national average.
The next category we rated is nursing, where this facility was given a bottom of the barrel grade here also. Unfortunately, we gave it an F in this category, which is obviously a major concern. Nursing ratings are heavily correlated with quantity of nursing care available. This facility offered just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident daily. This is not a very impressive figure. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing ratings. This place performed well in terms of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these metrics to be indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Focused Care at Stonebriar Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Focused Care at Stonebriar, 6.13% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric gauges the percent of long-term stay patients who suffered from pressure ulcers. We have found that pressure ulcers are a solid indicator of quality of care.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Focused Care at Stonebriar, 4.28% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents which have sustained falls which resulted in major injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls could be an indicator of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Focused Care at Stonebriar, 0.67% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely the result of poor nursing care. Better hygiene protocols can minimize the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. Note that this datapoint is affected by by the fact that nursing homes have different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Focused Care at Stonebriar, 5.43% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many residents, it is important to confirm these medications are being used only where medically required. In some situations, increased usage of these drugs may mean a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Focused Care at Stonebriar, 20.43% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are prescribed to residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Focused Care at Stonebriar, 0% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care patients demonstrating signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Focused Care at Stonebriar, 100% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Focused Care at Stonebriar, 14.71% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Focused Care at Stonebriar, 15.64% of Residents
This is the percentage of residents that retained mobility levels over time. Preserving mobility is often a great sign for residents' health.
In Focused Care at Stonebriar, 0.02 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care. There is a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the overall quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Focused Care at Stonebriar, 15.64% of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term resident care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Focused Care at Stonebriar, 16.21% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Scores for Austin, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Austin, Texas has 9 other nursing homes
- St David's South Austin Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.65 miles away901 West Ben White Blvd Austin Texas 78704Proprietary(512) 448-7107
- Dell Seton Med Center at the University of TxAcute Care Hospitals 2.56 miles away601 E 15th Street Austin Texas 78701Voluntary non-profit - Private(512) 324-7000
- Arise Austin Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.31 miles away3003 Bee Caves Road Austin Texas 78746Voluntary non-profit - Other(512) 347-9888
- St David's Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.69 miles away919 E 32nd St Austin Texas 78705Proprietary(512) 476-7111
- Ascension Seton Medical Center AustinAcute Care Hospitals 4.43 miles away1201 W 38th St Austin Texas 78705Physician(512) 324-1000
- Dell Children's Medical Center of Central TexasChildrens 5.04 miles away4900 Mueller Blvd Austin Texas 78723Voluntary non-profit - Private(512) 324-0000
- The Hospital at Westlake Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.68 miles away5656 Bee Caves Road, Suite M-302 Austin Texas 78746Proprietary(512) 327-0000
- Northwest Hills Surgical HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.44 miles away6818 Austin Ctr Blvd Suite 100 Austin Texas 78731Proprietary(512) 346-1994
- El Milagro Dialysis Center0.98 miles away2800 S Ih 35 Suite 120 Austin Texas 78704CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (512) 448-9750
- Fresenius Medical Care Austin South1.72 miles away621 Radam Ln Austin Texas 78745CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (512) 707-7601
- Satellite Dialysis Southwood2.22 miles away1701 W. Ben White Blvd, Suite #180 Austin Texas 78704CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (512) 383-0300
- South Austin Dialysis LLC2.95 miles away6114 South 1st Street Austin Texas 78745CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (512) 447-8500
- Moncrief Dialysis Center4.18 miles away800 West 34th Street Suite 101 Austin Texas 78705Dialysis Stations: 24 (512) 485-7872
- Childrens Dialysis Clinic of Central Texas5.14 miles away1301 Barbara Jordan Blvd Suite 103 Austin Texas 78723Dialysis Stations: 7 (512) 524-4213
- Satellite Healthcare Mueller5.3 miles away1801 East 51st Street Bldg G Austin Texas 78723CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 48 (512) 927-0300
- Bluebonnet Dialysis5.59 miles away3601 Manor Rd Austin Texas 78723CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (512) 926-7378