Focused Care at Beechnut is in Houston, Texas. This city is one of the most densely populated cities in the nation with has 2,906,700 people. This facility received a somewhat concerning overall grade of D, which is a lower end rating. This is not the worse place we looked at, but we would still be very reluctant to recommend it. More information on this nursing home's category grades is available below. Its best category is long-term care, which is discussed in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Focused Care at Beechnut
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Houston senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
While we did not give this nursing home a good overall grade, we surprisingly gave it a strong score in the area of long-term care, where it received a B+. This is better than most nursing homes in this category. This helped an otherwise poor profile. When nursing homes receive a grade in this range in this category it typically means it's well-staffed and is a quality place to reside on a permanent basis. In addition to considering the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home administered the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients, which is what we like to see. Pneumonia can be a life or death illness for nursing home patients so we like it when a facility doesn't roll the dice on this issue. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Surprisingly, this facility actually earned a good grade in the area of inspections as well. In fact, we gave it a B for that category, which is one of our better grades. Not many nursing homes that were this poor overall received multiple category grades of this caliber. Arguably the most important factor we consider in calculating our inspection grades is deficiencies. These deficiencies can be found on a facility's recent inspection reports. It is typically in your best interest to avoid places that have too many severe deficiencies. Although this facility had a few deficiencies on its report, none were serious based on CMS' scale. A few minor deficiencies aren't necessarily the end of the world.
Does this page answer your questions about Focused Care at Beechnut?
Short-term Care Quality
Sadly, this facility's third highest score is short-term care. As it turns out, with a grade of D in this area, it still fared relatively badly. In calculating our short-term care scores, we scrutinize the nursing home's levels of skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists respiratory therapists and other types of therapists. This score is considered to be a reliable assessment of the facility's ability to rehabilitate patients. Not surprisingly, we found that this nursing home provides far less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the average facility. The last measure we assessed in this area is the percentage of patients who returned home from the nursing home. This nursing home struggled quite a bit in this area as well, with just 0 percent of its patients returning home. Unfortunately, this was quite a bit below the national average.
The next category we analyzed was nursing, where this facility was given an abysmal score here as well. Unfortunately, we gave it an F in this category, which is obviously somewhat alarming. The nursing rating weighs a handful of factors, most of which are based on nursing hours. This facility provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low total compared to most nursing homes. In addition to receiving below average marks for total nursing hours, this facility was a bit less impressive in some of the quality-based measures we looked at in calculating our nursing grades. We looked at the percent of patients suffering pressure ulcers and found this facility was at approximately 1.5 times the national average in this metric.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Focused Care at Beechnut Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Focused Care at Beechnut, 8.57% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of long-term patients who have new or worsened pressure ulcers . We use this statistic in calculating both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Focused Care at Beechnut, 3.26% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who have suffered a fall which caused serious injury. This is one of the statistics we use in calculating nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Focused Care at Beechnut, 0.22% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections may be linked to insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Focused Care at Beechnut, 22.22% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint indicates the percentage of long-term care patients who were administered antianxiety drugs. These medications are commonly given to patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Focused Care at Beechnut, 0% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term patients demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Focused Care at Beechnut, 100% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Focused Care at Beechnut, 21.09% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care patients who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and taking a bath.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Focused Care at Beechnut, 17.99% of Residents
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients who retained mobility levels.
In Focused Care at Beechnut, 0.02 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. There is usually a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Focused Care at Beechnut, 17.99% of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Scores for Houston, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Houston, Texas has 59 other nursing homes
- Hca Houston Healthcare WestAcute Care Hospitals 2.94 miles away12141 Richmond Ave Houston Texas 77082Proprietary(281) 588-8080
- St Luke's Sugar Land HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.82 miles away1317 Lake Pointe Parkway Sugar Land Texas 77478Voluntary non-profit - Private(281) 637-7000
- Houston Methodist Sugarland HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.92 miles away16655 Southwest Freeway Sugar Land Texas 77479Voluntary non-profit - Private(281) 274-8000
- Sugar Land Surgical Hospital LlpAcute Care Hospitals 6.98 miles away16906 Southwest Freeway Sugar Land Texas 77479Physician(281) 243-1000
- Memorial Hermann Memorial City Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.38 miles away921 Gessner Houston Texas 77024Voluntary non-profit - Private(713) 242-3000
- Houston Methodist West HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.56 miles away18500 Katy Freeway Houston Texas 77094Voluntary non-profit - Private(832) 522-1000
- Westpark Springs LLCPsychiatric 9.3 miles away6902 S Peek Road Richmond Texas 77407Voluntary non-profit - Other(832) 535-2770
- Memorial Hermann Sugar Land HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.89 miles away17500 W Grand Parkway South Sugar Land Texas 77479Voluntary non-profit - Private(281) 725-5000
- Fresenius Medical Care Mission Bend2.24 miles away6886 Highway 6 South Houston Texas 77083Dialysis Stations: 16 (281) 568-0440
- West Point Dialysis2.45 miles away12051 Westpark Drive Suite 100 Houston Texas 77082CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (281) 920-4892
- Bannack Dialysis, LLC2.77 miles away12606 West Park Drive Houston Texas 77082Dialysis Stations: 20 (281) 679-1848
- Houston Kidney Ctr Southwest2.91 miles away9980 West Sam Houston Pkwy South Suite 100 Houston Texas 77099CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (281) 530-1905
- Dsi Chinatown Home, LLC3.26 miles away7329 W Houston Parkway S Suite 101b Houston Texas 77072Dialysis Stations: 4 (713) 773-2124
- Dsi Chinatown Hemodialysis, LLC3.26 miles away7329 W Houston Parkway S, Suite 101b Houston Texas 77072Dialysis Stations: 13 (713) 773-2124
- Westminster Dialysis3.26 miles away12121 Westheimer Rd Ste 138 Houston Texas 77077Dialysis Stations: 24 (281) 493-9046
- Beechnut Dialysis3.92 miles away8325 Beechnut Houston Texas 77036Dialysis Stations: 24 (713) 772-5228