Focused Care at Beechnut is in Houston, Texas. This city is one of the most densely populated cities in the nation with has 2,906,700 people. This facility received a somewhat concerning overall grade of D, which is a lower end rating. This is not the worse place we looked at, but we would still be very reluctant to recommend it. Despite all this, one of the few highlights of this nursing home's profile is its strong inspection rating. You can continue reading to find out about inspections and other category scores
Focused Care at Beechnut
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
While we did not rate this nursing home favorably overall, we want to point out its relatively favorable inspections in recent years. We gave it a respectable grade of B+ in this area, which was much better than its overall grade. Inspection grades are based on several pieces of information found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are an important item to look for on these reports. Most importantly, you should avoid nursing homes with severe deficiencies linked to endangerment of patients. Fortunately, although this nursing home had some minor dings on its inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones found in categories G through L. This tells you CMS didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. A few minor deficiencies are not necessarily the end of the world.
Long-term Care Quality
In addition, we also wanted to note that this facility received impressive long-term care marks in this assessment. We gave them one of our higher grades in this area, with a B+. This turned out to be the nursing home's second strongest score. When nursing homes receive a score in this range in this category it typically means it's well-staffed and is a quality place to live on a permanent basis. On top of looking at the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home provided the vaccine to 97.342995 percent of its patients, which is what we like to see. Pneumonia is often a life threatening health condition for nursing home patients so we strongly prefer when a facility does not leave its residents vulnerable. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Focused Care at Beechnut?
Short-term Care Quality
We gave this facility just a D for our short-term care score. This is not an impressive grade. Our short-term care grades are vital for residents seeking rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically requires higher levels of skilled nursing services. This means a wide scope of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. With its score in this category, we weren't stunned to discover that this nursing home is well below average in terms of its quantity of physical therapy and registered nurse hours offered to its residents based on the metrics we assessed. Finally, we considered the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that just 0 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
The next area we rated was nursing. Unfortunately, we gave it an F in this category, which is a bottom of the barrel grade. Nursing grades are tied to quality and quantity of nursing care. With a meager 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident daily, this nursing home's nurse staffing levels were quite a bit below average. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing ratings. This facility performed well in terms of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. Many consider these statistics to be reliable measures of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Focused Care at Beechnut Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Focused Care at Beechnut, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic is an indication of the percent of long-term residents that have pressure ulcers. We've found that pressure ulcers are a reliable indicator of the quality of nursing care a facility provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Focused Care at Beechnut, 3.33% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who have suffered a fall which caused serious injury. This is one of the statistics we use in calculating nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Focused Care at Beechnut, 1.51% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections may be linked to insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Focused Care at Beechnut, 11.48% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of patients who were given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are administered to patients for many medical conditions, such as dementia. Unfortunately, in some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Focused Care at Beechnut, 22.56% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint indicates the percentage of long-term care patients who were administered antianxiety drugs. These medications are commonly given to patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Focused Care at Beechnut, 4.81% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term patients demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Focused Care at Beechnut, 94.64% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Focused Care at Beechnut, 17.1% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care patients who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and taking a bath.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Focused Care at Beechnut, 16.36% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients who retained mobility levels.
In Focused Care at Beechnut, 1.67 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. There is usually a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Focused Care at Beechnut, 16.36 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Focused Care at Beechnut, 11.4 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the quality of nursing home care.
Scores for Houston, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Houston, Texas has 59 other nursing homes
- Hca Houston Healthcare WestAcute Care Hospitals 2.94 miles away12141 Richmond Ave Houston Texas 77082Proprietary(281) 588-8080
- St Luke's Sugar Land HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.82 miles away1317 Lake Pointe Parkway Sugar Land Texas 77478Voluntary non-profit - Private(281) 637-7000
- Houston Methodist Sugarland HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.92 miles away16655 Southwest Freeway Sugar Land Texas 77479Voluntary non-profit - Private(281) 274-8000
- Sugar Land Surgical Hospital LlpAcute Care Hospitals 6.98 miles away16906 Southwest Freeway Sugar Land Texas 77479Physician(281) 243-1000
- Memorial Hermann Memorial City Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.38 miles away921 Gessner Houston Texas 77024Voluntary non-profit - Private(713) 242-3000
- Houston Methodist West HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.56 miles away18500 Katy Freeway Houston Texas 77094Voluntary non-profit - Private(832) 522-1000
- Westpark Springs LLCPsychiatric 9.3 miles away6902 S Peek Road Richmond Texas 77407Voluntary non-profit - Other(832) 535-2770
- Memorial Hermann Sugar Land HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.89 miles away17500 W Grand Parkway South Sugar Land Texas 77479Voluntary non-profit - Private(281) 725-5000
- Fresenius Medical Care Mission Bend2.24 miles away6886 Highway 6 South Houston Texas 77083Dialysis Stations: 16 (281) 568-0440
- West Point Dialysis2.45 miles away12051 Westpark Drive Suite 100 Houston Texas 77082CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (281) 920-4892
- Bannack Dialysis, LLC2.77 miles away12606 West Park Drive Houston Texas 77082Dialysis Stations: 20 (281) 679-1848
- Houston Kidney Ctr Southwest2.91 miles away9980 West Sam Houston Pkwy South Suite 100 Houston Texas 77099CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (281) 530-1905
- Dsi Chinatown Home, LLC3.26 miles away7329 W Houston Parkway S Suite 101b Houston Texas 77072Dialysis Stations: 4 (713) 773-2124
- Dsi Chinatown Hemodialysis, LLC3.26 miles away7329 W Houston Parkway S, Suite 101b Houston Texas 77072Dialysis Stations: 13 (713) 773-2124
- Westminster Dialysis3.26 miles away12121 Westheimer Rd Ste 138 Houston Texas 77077Dialysis Stations: 24 (281) 493-9046
- Beechnut Dialysis3.92 miles away8325 Beechnut Houston Texas 77036Dialysis Stations: 24 (713) 772-5228