Flower Villa is a nursing home located in Los Angeles, California which has 2,378,448 people. We gave this facility an overall grade of B. A score of this caliber requires quality scores in most areas. Even in a city with 75 other nursing homes, this facility turns out to be a perfectly acceptable choice. We were also pleased to find that this facility didn't have any weak links in any of the four major categories. Additional information about its category grades can be found below.
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
Part of the reason this facility performed well overall is that it excelled in nursing, with a B+ in that area. It outperformed most facilities in this area. The nursing grade weighs many factors. The most heavily weighted factor is the quantity of hours nurses spent with patients. This particular nursing home provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well in the area of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
In addition, this facility excelled in inspections, where it received a grade of B+. Our inspection ratings weigh several factors included in a nursing home's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we weigh heavily is the number and severity of deficiencies. Places with better scores in this area generally have few of these severe deficiencies. This place was assessed 11 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none were considered to be major deficiencies. This means that the government inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies to create an imminent threat to patient safety or health. The fact that the deficiencies were relatively minor made us feel better about this inspection report.
Does this page answer your questions about Flower Villa?
Long-term Care Quality
Additionally, this facility also was awarded favorable long-term care grades this year. Indeed, we awarded it one of our higher grades in that category, with a grade of B. Nursing homes that excel in long-term care typically provide patients with closer supervision and stay on top of routine healthcare services. In addition to assessing the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home provided the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients, which is what we like to see. Pneumonia sadly can be a life or death health condition for nursing home residents so we like it when a facility does not leave this to chance. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Short-term Care Quality
Switching gears to the next category, this facility received a decent short-term care grade of C. Our short-term care scores are probably most critical for people needing a nursing home for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally utilizes more skilled nursing. This means not only nursing services, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other forms of therapy. It doesn't look like this facility submitted registered nurse or physical therapist staffing data. Finally, we looked at the number of residents that returned home from this facility. We found that 0 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home. This figure was quite a bit below the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Flower Villa Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Flower Villa, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin due to staying in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Flower Villa, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure measures the percent of long-term care residents that have suffered falls which caused severe injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls could be an indicator of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Flower Villa, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes linked to inadequate hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Flower Villa, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure indicates the percent of long-term stay patients receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Flower Villa, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of residents prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are given to patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Flower Villa, 4.33% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Flower Villa, 95.72% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Flower Villa, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term patients who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and using the bathroom. Many would argue this is a reliable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Flower Villa, 14.05% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who remained mobile levels. Many in the industry argue that mobility is important for patients physical and mental well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Flower Villa, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term resident care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Flower Villa, 9.85 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Scores for Los Angeles, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-minus
Looking for more options? Los Angeles, California has 74 other nursing homes
- Cedars-Sinai Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.71 miles away8700 Beverly Blvd Los Angeles California 90048Voluntary non-profit - Other(310) 423-5000
- Ronald Reagan U C L a Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.09 miles away757 Westwood Plaza Los Angeles California 90095Government - State(310) 825-6301
- Resnick Neuropsychiatric Hospital at UclaPsychiatric 4.11 miles away150 Medical Plaza-Rm-4230c Los Angeles California 90095Government - State(310) 825-6962
- Southern California Hospital at HollywoodAcute Care Hospitals 4.21 miles away6245 De Longpre Ave Los Angeles California 90028Proprietary(323) 462-2271
- Hollywood Presbyterian Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.68 miles away1300 N Vermont Ave Los Angeles California 90027Proprietary(213) 413-3000
- Children's Hosp of Los AngelesChildrens 5.79 miles away4650 Sunset Blvd, Ms 108 Los Angeles California 90027Voluntary non-profit - Private(323) 669-2164
- Saint Vincent Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.9 miles away2131 W 3rd St Los Angeles California 90057Voluntary non-profit - Church(213) 484-7111
- Providence Saint John's Health CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.99 miles away2121 Santa Monica Blvd Santa Monica California 90404Voluntary non-profit - Private(310) 829-5511
- u.s. Renal Care West Los Angeles Dialysis0.46 miles away1801 S. La Cienega Blvd. Los Angeles California 90035CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (310) 840-5688
- u.s. Renal Care Beverly Hills Dialysis0.93 miles away8420 Wilshrie Blvd. Beverly Hills California 90211Dialysis Stations: 22 (323) 852-1272
- Davita-Beverly Hills Dialysis Center1.08 miles away50 N. La Cienega Blvd., Suite 300 Beverly Hills California 90211CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (310) 289-1613
- u.s. Renal Care Westside Dialysis1.62 miles away300 S. Robertson Blvd. Los Angeles California 90048CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (310) 385-8683
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital Medical Ctr.- West Los Angeles1.7 miles awayDialysis Unit 6041 Cadillac Avenue, Suite 442 Los Angeles California 90034Dialysis Stations: 4 (323) 857-3245
- Davita-Crescent Heights Dialysis Center1.81 miles away8151 Beverly Blvd. Los Angeles California 90048CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (323) 655-6226
- Davita-Beverlywood Dialysis2.1 miles away2080 Century Park East, Suite 210 Los Angeles California 90067Dialysis Stations: 13 (310) 772-0224
- u.s. Renal Care Culver City2.19 miles away9808 Venice Blvd., Suite 200 Culver City California 90232Dialysis Stations: 18 (310) 841-0500