Fireside Convalescent Hospital is in Santa Monica, California. This nursing home proved to be a respectable facility, with an overall grade of C. Based on our assessment, this facility likely wouldn't be a bad choice. This facility did not meet our expectations in all of our categories, but it did not receive any rock-bottom grades either. Additional information about these categories can be found below.
Fireside Convalescent Hospital
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Other
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Dialysis Transportation
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Catheter Care
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home received a short-term care score which is better than its overall grade. We gave this nursing home a B+ in this area. In the category of short-term care, we strive to evaluate indicators of a facility's rehabilitation. We analyze a nursing home's skilled nursing services, including the ones performed by registered nurses and physical, occupational and other therapists. Unfortunately, we weren't able to find information on registered nurse or physical therapy staffing for this nursing home. The final metric we looked at in this category is the percentage of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We found that 6 percent of this nursing home's residents were able to return home.
In addition, this facility also excelled in the area of inspections, where it received a grade of B+. Few nursing homes performed better in this area. Inspection grades account for a host of factors included in a facility's inspection reports. One key criteria we weigh heavily is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Places with higher grades in this area tend to have few of these severe deficiencies. This nursing home received 7 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none of the deficiencies were considered severe. This means that the government inspectors did not consider any of these deficiencies to be an immediate threat to resident safety or health. A couple minor deficiencies shouldn't stop you from considering a nursing home.
Does this page answer your questions about Fireside Convalescent Hospital?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home's third most favorable area is long-term care. In that area, we gave this nursing home a C. Our long-term care ratings are based in part on a facility's amount of nursing care. This means a vast scope of personal care services, ranging from help with activities of daily living to routine medical services. After considering the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we then analyzed the nursing home's vaccination statistics. We were pleased to learn that this nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its residents against pneumonia. Finally, this place was also able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0.05 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
This nursing home's least impressive area was nursing, which is the last area we assessed. In this area, we gave this facility a grade of D. The nursing grade is based on a handful of factors, but the main consideration is the level of nurse hours spent with patients. This nursing home averaged only 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is well below average. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in calculating our nursing scores. This nursing home fared well when it comes to avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Fireside Convalescent Hospital Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Fireside Convalescent Hospital, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of long-term residents who have new or worsened pressure ulcers or bed sores. We consider this statistic when determining our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Fireside Convalescent Hospital, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint tells you the percent of long-term patients which experienced falls resulting in serious injury. This is one of the statistics we use in computing our nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Fireside Convalescent Hospital, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely linked to a facility with lower levels of hygiene. However, this metric may be misleading for certain facilities due to varying reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Fireside Convalescent Hospital, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint tells you the percent of long-term stay patients receiving antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to make sure these medications are being used only where medically required. In limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Fireside Convalescent Hospital, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients who were prescribed antianxiety medications. These drugs are typically given to patients experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Fireside Convalescent Hospital, 4.64% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents exhibiting depressive symptoms. Many in the industry argue this is a reasonable measure of patient quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Fireside Convalescent Hospital, 95.44% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Fireside Convalescent Hospital, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Fireside Convalescent Hospital, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of patients that were able to retain mobility over time. Retaining mobility is usually a good sign for residents' health.
In Fireside Convalescent Hospital, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care. There is typically a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Fireside Convalescent Hospital, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between staying out of the hospital and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Fireside Convalescent Hospital, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Fireside Convalescent Hospital, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term stay residents who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Santa Monica, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Santa Monica, California has 10 other nursing homes
- Santa Monica - Ucla Med Ctr & Orthopaedic HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.03 miles away1250 16th Street Santa Monica California 90404Voluntary non-profit - Private(310) 319-4000
- Providence Saint John's Health CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.51 miles away2121 Santa Monica Blvd Santa Monica California 90404Voluntary non-profit - Private(310) 829-5511
- Ronald Reagan U C L a Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.36 miles away757 Westwood Plaza Los Angeles California 90095Government - State(310) 825-6301
- Resnick Neuropsychiatric Hospital at UclaPsychiatric 4.4 miles away150 Medical Plaza-Rm-4230c Los Angeles California 90095Government - State(310) 825-6962
- Cedars-Sinai Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.87 miles away8700 Beverly Blvd Los Angeles California 90048Voluntary non-profit - Other(310) 423-5000
- Sherman Oaks HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.99 miles away4929 Van Nuys Blvd Sherman Oaks California 91403Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 981-7111
- Providence Tarzana Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.44 miles away18321 Clark Street Tarzana California 91356Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 881-0800
- Southern California Hospital at HollywoodAcute Care Hospitals 11.28 miles away6245 De Longpre Ave Los Angeles California 90028Proprietary(323) 462-2271
- Davita-Santa Monica Dialysis0.96 miles away1260 15th Street, Suite 102 Santa Monica California 90404CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (310) 393-4744
- Davita-Mar Vista2.31 miles away2020 Santa Monica Blvd., Suite 100 & 120 Santa Monica California 90404CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (310) 453-4900
- Davita-Century City Dialysis Center4.47 miles away10630 Santa Monica Blvd. Los Angeles California 90025CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 40 (310) 954-2700
- Fmc-Culver City Dialysis4.88 miles away9432 Venice Blvd. Culver City California 90230CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (310) 836-2237
- Davita-Beverlywood Dialysis5.8 miles away2080 Century Park East, Suite 210 Los Angeles California 90067Dialysis Stations: 13 (310) 772-0224
- u.s. Renal Care Culver City6.06 miles away9808 Venice Blvd., Suite 200 Culver City California 90232Dialysis Stations: 18 (310) 841-0500
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital Medical Ctr.- West Los Angeles6.15 miles awayDialysis Unit 6041 Cadillac Avenue, Suite 442 Los Angeles California 90034Dialysis Stations: 4 (323) 857-3245
- u.s. Renal Care West Los Angeles Dialysis7.34 miles away1801 S. La Cienega Blvd. Los Angeles California 90035CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (310) 840-5688