Fireside Convalescent Hospital is in Santa Monica, California. This nursing home was awarded an uninspiring overall grade of D, which is a well below average score. If you are not satisfied with this facility's low overall grade, you may find you have slim pickings in Santa Monica. The city has just two other nursing homes. If you aren't deterred by this place's profile, you can continue reading to find out about its category scores. Inspection grades are discussed in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Fireside Convalescent Hospital
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Santa Monica senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Dialysis Transportation
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Catheter Care
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Although we did not rate this facility favorably overall, we want to point out its relatively solid government inspections in recent years. We gave it a B in this area, which is much better than its overall grade. Inspection grades are based on datapoints located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are a key item to look for on these inspections. You should especially avoid nursing homes that have severe deficiencies associated with endangerment of patients. Although this place had some deficiencies on its government inspection report, none of them were severe based on CMS' scale. A few minor deficiencies are not necessarily the end of the world.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility's second most favorable category turned out to be its short-term care score, where it was awarded a B-. Our short-term care ratings are thought to be most important for folks requiring a nursing home for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically utilizes additional highly-skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing means not only nursing, but also physical and respiratory therapy, as well as other types of therapy. We were surprised to find that this facility was below average in the two key staffing areas we assessed. In fact, it provided fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other nursing homes. The final datapoint we assessed in this area is the percentage of residents that eventually returned home from the nursing home. We found that just 6 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home. This figure was below the national average.
Does this page answer your questions about Fireside Convalescent Hospital?
Long-term Care Quality
This facility's third highest area is long-term care. In that category, we awarded this facility a grade of C. Long-term care grades are often used to score a nursing home's performance as a traditional nursing home, as opposed to focusing on the skilled nursing services offered by a rehabilitation facility. Once we assessed the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination records. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which is better than the majority of nursing homes. This place also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.05 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
The final area we scored is nursing. We gave it an abysmal F in this category, which is a poor score. Our nursing score consists of several data points, but the primary consideration is the quantity of nurse hours spent with patients. This place provided just 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient daily. This is a very low total compared to most nursing homes. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This facility fared well in terms of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Fireside Convalescent Hospital Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Fireside Convalescent Hospital, 18.42% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are routinely the result of patients staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Fireside Convalescent Hospital, 5.5% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents that have had a major fall. Falls leading to serious injury are routinely the result of lower levels of patient supervision. Better nursing protocols reduces the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Fireside Convalescent Hospital, 1.92% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely linked to lower quality nursing care. Additional nurse staffing can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Keep in mind that this metric is affected by by the fact that facilities have incongruent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Fireside Convalescent Hospital, 11.54% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic measures the percentage of long-term stay residents taking antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In limited situations, excessive reliance on these medications may mean a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Fireside Convalescent Hospital, 2.08% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic measures the percentage of long-term patients who were prescribed antianxiety medication. These drugs are typically given to patients experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Fireside Convalescent Hospital, 5.05% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents exhibiting depressive symptoms. Many in the industry argue this is a reasonable measure of patient quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Fireside Convalescent Hospital, 100% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Fireside Convalescent Hospital, 9.47% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Fireside Convalescent Hospital, 6.23% of Residents
This indicates the percentage of patients that were able to retain mobility over time. Retaining mobility is usually a good sign for residents' health.
In Fireside Convalescent Hospital, 0.05 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care. There is typically a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Fireside Convalescent Hospital, 6.23% of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between staying out of the hospital and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Fireside Convalescent Hospital, 9.88% of Patients
This metric tracks the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Fireside Convalescent Hospital, 84.73% of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term stay residents who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
- Santa Monica - Ucla Med Ctr & Orthopaedic HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.03 miles away1250 16th Street Santa Monica California 90404Voluntary non-profit - Private(310) 319-4000
- Providence Saint John's Health CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.51 miles away2121 Santa Monica Blvd Santa Monica California 90404Voluntary non-profit - Private(310) 829-5511
- Ronald Reagan U C L a Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.36 miles away757 Westwood Plaza Los Angeles California 90095Government - State(310) 825-6301
- Resnick Neuropsychiatric Hospital at UclaPsychiatric 4.4 miles away150 Medical Plaza-Rm-4230c Los Angeles California 90095Government - State(310) 825-6962
- Cedars-Sinai Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.87 miles away8700 Beverly Blvd Los Angeles California 90048Voluntary non-profit - Other(310) 423-5000
- Sherman Oaks HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.99 miles away4929 Van Nuys Blvd Sherman Oaks California 91403Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 981-7111
- Providence Tarzana Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.44 miles away18321 Clark Street Tarzana California 91356Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 881-0800
- Southern California Hospital at HollywoodAcute Care Hospitals 11.28 miles away6245 De Longpre Ave Los Angeles California 90028Proprietary(323) 462-2271
- Davita-Santa Monica Dialysis0.96 miles away1260 15th Street, Suite 102 Santa Monica California 90404CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (310) 393-4744
- Davita-Mar Vista2.31 miles away2020 Santa Monica Blvd., Suite 100 & 120 Santa Monica California 90404CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (310) 453-4900
- Davita-Century City Dialysis Center4.47 miles away10630 Santa Monica Blvd. Los Angeles California 90025CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 40 (310) 954-2700
- Fmc-Culver City Dialysis4.88 miles away9432 Venice Blvd. Culver City California 90230CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (310) 836-2237
- Davita-Beverlywood Dialysis5.8 miles away2080 Century Park East, Suite 210 Los Angeles California 90067Dialysis Stations: 13 (310) 772-0224
- u.s. Renal Care Culver City6.06 miles away9808 Venice Blvd., Suite 200 Culver City California 90232Dialysis Stations: 18 (310) 841-0500
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital Medical Ctr.- West Los Angeles6.15 miles awayDialysis Unit 6041 Cadillac Avenue, Suite 442 Los Angeles California 90034Dialysis Stations: 4 (323) 857-3245
- u.s. Renal Care West Los Angeles Dialysis7.34 miles away1801 S. La Cienega Blvd. Los Angeles California 90035CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (310) 840-5688