Fieldston Lodge Care Center is a large facility in Bronx, New York. We gave it an overall grade of B-, which is a middle of the pack grade. Even in a city of 45 other nursing homes, this nursing home should be a perfectly acceptable selection. One of the better aspects of this nursing home's profile is its impressive inspection reports, which we will address in the next section.
Fieldston Lodge Care Center
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
While this facility's overall grade was not bad, it really excelled in the category of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A- for that category, which is one of our best scores. These inspection grades weigh several factors, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these factors by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This nursing home received 3 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none were considered to be severe. This tells you that CMS did not deem any of these deficiencies to pose an imminent threat to resident health or safety. Keep in mind that deficiency-free inspection reports are rare in this industry.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home also received an impressive long-term care grade. In fact, we gave them a B in that category, which is one of our more favorable scores. For prospective patients in need of a permanent residence as opposed to rehabilitation, long-term care is a very important category. In addition to looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home vaccinated 89.60818 percent of its residents. This is a few points below what we were hoping for. While its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we had hoped, we were pleased to find facility was able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Fieldston Lodge Care Center?
Another reason we rated this facility so highly is that it received an A+ nursing score. This is simply as good as it gets in this area. In determining our nursing ratings, we weigh both staffing levels and the skill levels of the nurses. This facility provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place New York in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can many times be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as having a protocol of turning patients more frequently.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's worst area was short-term care, which is the final category we scored. In this category, we gave this facility a grade of just D. In determining our short-term care grades, we quantify the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, speech therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. The purpose is to devise a measure for comparing the rehabilitation services of various nursing homes. In this nursing home's case, we found that it offers fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the typical facility. Finally, we considered the number of patients who ultimately returned home from this nursing home. This facility didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 3.4 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home. This figure was quite a bit off the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Fieldston Lodge Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Fieldston Lodge Care Center, 9.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic indicates the percent of long-term residents who developed pressure ulcers. We find that pressure ulcers are a solid barometer of the quality of nursing care a nursing home provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Fieldston Lodge Care Center, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure tells you the percentage of long-term care residents who sustained a fall which caused serious injury. This is one of the statistics we use in determining nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Fieldston Lodge Care Center, 2.08% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. These infections may be linked to insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Fieldston Lodge Care Center, 11.61% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These medications are sometimes used for treating a variety of medical conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Fieldston Lodge Care Center, 13.28% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic is an indication of the percentage of long-term patients receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Fieldston Lodge Care Center, 13.6% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Fieldston Lodge Care Center, 91.89% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home residents, making these types of vaccines indispensable.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Fieldston Lodge Care Center, 14.66% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of residents that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Fieldston Lodge Care Center, 18.82% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percent of long-term patients that maintained mobility.
In Fieldston Lodge Care Center, 1.2 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. There is generally a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the overall quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Fieldston Lodge Care Center, 18.82 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Fieldston Lodge Care Center, 8.77 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Fieldston Lodge Care Center, 74.71% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percent of short-term residents that experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Bronx, NY
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Bronx, New York has 44 other nursing homes
- Montefiore Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.01 miles away111 East 210th Street Bronx New York 10467Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 920-4321
- St Barnabas HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.36 miles away4422 Third Avenue Bronx New York 10457Voluntary non-profit - Private(212) 960-9000
- Englewood Hospital and Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.95 miles away350 Engle St Englewood New Jersey 07631Voluntary non-profit - Private(201) 894-3000
- Bronx-Lebanon Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.49 miles away1276 Fulton Avenue Bronx New York 10456Proprietary(212) 588-7000
- St Joseph's Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.63 miles away127 South Broadway Yonkers New York 10701Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 378-7000
- Jacobi Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.02 miles away1400 Pelham Parkway South Bronx New York 10461Government - Local(718) 918-5000
- Lincoln Medical & Mental Health CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.41 miles away234 East 149th Street Bronx New York 10451Government - Local(718) 579-5000
- Holy Name Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.63 miles away718 Teaneck Rd Teaneck New Jersey 07666Voluntary non-profit - Private(201) 833-3000
- Davita Riverdale Dialysis Center0.81 miles away170 W. 233rd Street Bronx New York 10463CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (718) 884-4300
- Bronx River Nephro Care at the Plaza Rehab & Nursing Center1.21 miles away100 West Kingsbridge Road Bronx New York 10468Dialysis Stations: 15 (347) 982-2420
- Davita Bedford Park Dialysis Center2.26 miles away3119 Webster Avenue Bronx New York 10467CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (718) 920-1530
- St. Barnabas Hospital Opd Dialysis Center2.37 miles away4451 Third Avenue Bronx New York 10457CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 40 (718) 960-3860
- Davita Mount Hope Dialysis Center2.42 miles away1940 Webster Avenue 2nd Floor Bronx New York 10457Dialysis Stations: 16 (718) 901-9122
- Davita South Bronx Dialysis Center2.42 miles away1940 Webster Avenue Bronx New York 10457CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (718) 299-9212
- Grand Concourse Dialysis Facility2.45 miles away1780 Grand Concourse Bronx New York 10457CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (718) 583-1800
- Knickerbocker Dialysis Inc.2.67 miles away1490 Macombs Road Bronx New York 10452Dialysis Stations: 21 (718) 588-2347