Fieldston Lodge Care Center is a large facility in Bronx, New York. This is a good nursing home. We gave it an overall grade of B, which is a respectable grade. Even in a city featuring 44 other nursing homes, this one looks like a fine selection. The best aspect of this nursing home's strong report card is its inspection grade. Inspection grades are discussed in the next section
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Fieldston Lodge Care Center
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Bronx senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
On top of receiving a great overall grade, this place also earned first-rate inspections in recent years. We awarded them one of our better grades in this area, with a grade of A-. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in computing our inspection ratings. One of those factors is health deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of these deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the quantity of deficiencies, as some deficiencies are quite insignificant. While this nursing home had some minor dings on its report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are found in categories G through L. This tells you that CMS did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Remember that deficiency-free inspections are rare in the industry.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home is also above average in the category of long-term care, where it received a grade of B. It outpaced most nursing homes in this category. For prospective patients in need of a permanent place to live as opposed to rehabilitation, long-term care grades are a key measure. Once we assessed the volume of nursing care, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination record. This nursing home vaccinated 63.897762 percent of its residents for pneumonia. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Fieldston Lodge Care Center?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's next best area is short-term care. We gave it a grade of B- in this area. This is basically a slightly below average score in this category. In determining our short-term care grades, we look at the facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, respiratory therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. The purpose is to formulate a tool for comparing the rehabilitation services of various nursing homes. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. However, based on the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we assessed the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 4.8 percent of this facility's residents returned home. At most facilities, closer to half of their residents are able to return home so this figure is below average.
Switching gears to the final category, this facility received an acceptable nursing score of B-. Our nursing rating looks at the facility's level of nurse staffing. We factor in both the levels of skill of the nurses as well as the amount of time spent with patients. This facility provided just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident daily. This figure is significantly below the national average. Lastly, our nursing scores also consider some quality-focused metrics. We look at the percent of patients who sustained pressure ulcers and major falls. These statistics are measures of the quality of nursing care, since better care can reduce these issues.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Fieldston Lodge Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Fieldston Lodge Care Center, 13.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many experts to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are routinely caused by patients staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Fieldston Lodge Care Center, 0.32% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents that sustained a major fall. Falls leading to serious injury are considered to be a barometer of nursing care . Falls are routinely the result of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Fieldston Lodge Care Center, 0.16% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often the result of lower quality nursing care. More frequent bathing can limit the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. We want to point out that this statistic is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Fieldston Lodge Care Center, 12.09% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This gauges the percent of long-term stay residents who are prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Increased usage of these drugs may mean a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents in scenarios where such drugs aren't medically indicated. However, some facilities may need to rely more on these medications due to having more residents suffering from cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Fieldston Lodge Care Center, 6.87% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are given to residents experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Fieldston Lodge Care Center, 0% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term residents demonstrating signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Fieldston Lodge Care Center, 69% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Fieldston Lodge Care Center, 3.6% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Fieldston Lodge Care Center, 3.97% of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents that retained mobility levels. Many believe that the ability to move around is important for residents' well-being.
In Fieldston Lodge Care Center, 0.01 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Fieldston Lodge Care Center, 3.97% of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding the hospital during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical abilities of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Fieldston Lodge Care Center, 9.74% of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Fieldston Lodge Care Center, 95.28% of Resident
This is the percent of short-term care residents who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of independence with ADL's often correlates with higher quality rehabilitation services.
Scores for Bronx, NY
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Bronx, New York has 43 other nursing homes
- Montefiore Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.01 miles away111 East 210th Street Bronx New York 10467Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 920-4321
- St Barnabas HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.36 miles away4422 Third Avenue Bronx New York 10457Voluntary non-profit - Private(212) 960-9000
- Englewood Hospital and Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.95 miles away350 Engle St Englewood New Jersey 07631Voluntary non-profit - Private(201) 894-3000
- Bronx-Lebanon Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.49 miles away1276 Fulton Avenue Bronx New York 10456Proprietary(212) 588-7000
- St Joseph's Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.63 miles away127 South Broadway Yonkers New York 10701Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 378-7000
- Jacobi Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.02 miles away1400 Pelham Parkway South Bronx New York 10461Government - Local(718) 918-5000
- Lincoln Medical & Mental Health CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.41 miles away234 East 149th Street Bronx New York 10451Government - Local(718) 579-5000
- Holy Name Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.63 miles away718 Teaneck Rd Teaneck New Jersey 07666Voluntary non-profit - Private(201) 833-3000
- Davita Riverdale Dialysis Center0.81 miles away170 W. 233rd Street Bronx New York 10463CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (718) 884-4300
- Bronx River Nephro Care at the Plaza Rehab & Nursing Center1.21 miles away100 West Kingsbridge Road Bronx New York 10468Dialysis Stations: 15 (347) 982-2420
- Davita Bedford Park Dialysis Center2.26 miles away3119 Webster Avenue Bronx New York 10467CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (718) 920-1530
- St. Barnabas Hospital Opd Dialysis Center2.37 miles away4451 Third Avenue Bronx New York 10457CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 40 (718) 960-3860
- Davita Mount Hope Dialysis Center2.42 miles away1940 Webster Avenue 2nd Floor Bronx New York 10457Dialysis Stations: 16 (718) 901-9122
- Davita South Bronx Dialysis Center2.42 miles away1940 Webster Avenue Bronx New York 10457CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (718) 299-9212
- Grand Concourse Dialysis Facility2.45 miles away1780 Grand Concourse Bronx New York 10457CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (718) 583-1800
- Knickerbocker Dialysis Inc.2.67 miles away1490 Macombs Road Bronx New York 10452Dialysis Stations: 21 (718) 588-2347