Fernhill Estates is located in the densely populated metropolitan area of Portland, Oregon which has a population of 841,711 people. Featuring an overall grade of B+, this is a very good facility. Based on our analysis, this place looks like a good fit for most people. Fortunately, this nursing home didn't have any poor grades in any of the major categories discussed below. Additional information about its category grades can be found below.
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
Top Nursing Home in Oregon Awards 2019
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A for our nursing grade. Our nursing rating analyzes the nursing home's nurse staffing levels. We look at both the levels of training of those nurses as well as the number of hours spent with patients. This nursing home provides 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality-based metrics and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility Oregon in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can typically be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as by having a policy of turning a patient more often.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility truly excelled in the category of short-term care, where we gave it a score of A-. Very few facilities performed more favorably in this area. Our short-term care ratings are meaningful for residents in need of rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically utilizes higher levels of skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing means a broad range of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we assessed the percentage of patients that who were able to eventually return home from this facility. We found that 0 percent of this nursing home's patients were able to return home.
Does this page answer your questions about Fernhill Estates?
This facility also excelled in the category of inspections, where it earned a grade of B+. Few nursing homes performed better in this category. Our inspection ratings weigh a host of factors found on a nursing home's inspection report. One key criteria we weigh heavily is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Nursing homes with better grades in this area typically have few severe deficiencies. Sadly, this facility was assessed a category L deficiency, which is not what we expected based on its inspection grade. This category indicates inspectors identified a widespread deficiency putting resident health or safety in imminent danger. In spite of this major red flag, other aspects of this facility's inspection report gave us some hope.
Long-term Care Quality
The next area we assessed is long-term care. This nursing home was awarded an above average long-term care grade in our assessment, with a grade of B-. While this was not as strong as several of its other scores, this is still a decent grade for that category. For patients in need of a permanent place to live as opposed to skilled nursing, long-term care is a very important category. On top of considering the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility provided the vaccine to 86.82171 percent of its patients. This is multiple points lower than the national average. Nevertheless, this facility keeps its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Fernhill Estates Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Fernhill Estates, 8.57% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure gauges the percent of long-term care patients who developed new or worsened pressure ulcers or bed sores. We consider this statistic when determining both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Fernhill Estates, 2.43% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients who suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to major injury are often linked to lower quality nursing care. Additional nurse staffing reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Fernhill Estates, 2.24% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint tells you the percentage of long-term care residents who have experienced a urinary tract infection. UTI's may be an indicator of lower quality nursing care. However, this statistic may also be skewed for certain facilities due to varying reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Fernhill Estates, 15.6% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are prescribed to patients for many conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias. Sadly, in some situations, increased usage of these drugs may mean that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Fernhill Estates, 12.47% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents given antianxiety drugs. These medications are used to treat residents experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Fernhill Estates, 5.65% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term residents who are showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Fernhill Estates, 92.57% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Fernhill Estates, 13.82% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and eating.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Fernhill Estates, 22.07% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of residents who remained mobile levels over time. Retaining mobility is usually a great sign for residents' health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Fernhill Estates, 22.07 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Scores for Portland, OR
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Portland, Oregon has 32 other nursing homes
- Legacy Emanuel Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.53 miles away2801 N Gantenbein Avenue Portland Oregon 97227Voluntary non-profit - Private(503) 413-2200
- Providence Portland Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.7 miles away4805 Ne Glisan Street Portland Oregon 97213Voluntary non-profit - Private(503) 215-1111
- Legacy Good Samaritan Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.13 miles away1015 Nw 22nd Avenue, w121 Portland Oregon 97210Voluntary non-profit - Private(503) 413-7711
- Peacehealth Southwest Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.64 miles away400 Ne Mother Joseph Place Vancouver Washington 98668Voluntary non-profit - Private(360) 256-2000
- Adventist Health PortlandAcute Care Hospitals 4.88 miles away10123 Se Market Street Portland Oregon 97216Voluntary non-profit - Church(503) 257-2500
- Ohsu Hospital and ClinicsAcute Care Hospitals 5.43 miles away3181 Sw Sam Jackson Park Road Portland Oregon 97239Voluntary non-profit - Other(503) 494-6245
- Providence St Vincent Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.95 miles away9205 Sw Barnes Road Portland Oregon 97225Voluntary non-profit - Private(503) 216-2213
- Kaiser Sunnyside Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.69 miles away10180 Se Sunnyside Road Clackamas Oregon 97015Voluntary non-profit - Other(503) 652-2880
- Rose City Dialysis, LLC1.78 miles away4905 Ne Martin Luther King Blvd Portland Oregon 97211CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (503) 288-7020
- Rose City Dialysis LLC1.91 miles away7474 Ne Martin Luther King Jr Blvd Portland Oregon 97211Dialysis Stations: 17 (503) 737-1020
- Oregon Kidney Center2.19 miles away3524 Ne Sandy Blvd Portland Oregon 97232CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (503) 236-7097
- Pnrs Hollywood Dialysis2.31 miles away2824 Ne Wasco St Suite #100 Portland Oregon 97232CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (503) 493-8227
- Portland Mlk Dialysis2.39 miles away2737 Ne Martin Luther King Jr Blvd Portland Oregon 97212Dialysis Stations: 20 (503) 282-1253
- Northeast Portland Renal Center2.47 miles away703 Ne Hancock St Portland Oregon 97212CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (503) 493-3322
- Fmc Maywood Park4.22 miles away11909 Ne Glenn Widing Dr Portland Oregon 97220Dialysis Stations: 21 (503) 255-3464
- Pnrs Home Dialysis4.37 miles away2701 Nw Vaughn St., Ste. 150 Portland Oregon 97201Dialysis Stations: 12 (503) 205-0320