Father Baker Manor is one of only two available nursing homes located in Orchard Park, New York. This facility is ranked among the most elite facilities we found. A grade of this caliber requires first-rate scores across the board. You flat out can't do any better than this place. As you will find below, this facility performed equally well in our category scores. In fact, we gave it straight A's!
Father Baker Manor
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
6400 Powers Road,
Orchard Park NY 14127
73.31% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
To pair with its strong overall score, we awarded this nursing home an A+ for inspections. Inspection ratings take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can find more information about each of these factors by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. While this place had a few minor dings on its inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means the inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
One of the other reasons we graded this facility so highly is that it received a very impressive nursing grade. In that area, we awarded this facility an A+. Our nursing score includes quite a few datapoints, but the paramount one is the quantity of nurse hours per patient per week. This place provides an incredible 4.3 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis. Very few nursing homes provide this quantity of nursing care to their patients. Out of that total, many of the hours were provided by registered nurses, which is one of the more highly trained levels of nurses. On top of offering impressive levels of nursing care, this facility also excelled in the quality measures we looked at. By way of illustration, it performed as well as any nursing home in New York in terms of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We look at these statistics as good indicators of the caliber of nursing care being provided.
Does this page answer your questions about Father Baker Manor?
Long-term Care Quality
Turning our next area, this facility was given first-rate long-term care score. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A- in this category. Long-term care grades of this caliber generally require both around the clock care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine healthcare services. Once we finished looking at the amount of care provided by nurses, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination record. This facility vaccinated 94.5 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which is very impressive. Pneumonia is often a life threatening illness for nursing home residents so we like it when a nursing home does not leave its residents vulnerable. Lastly, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0.72 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Short-term Care Quality
In our last area, we gave this facility a grade of A+ for its short-term care rating. This wrapped up a very impressive profile. Short-term care grades are important for individuals seeking rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually utilizes more skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes a broad range of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. This facility is markedly above average in terms of its quantity of both physical therapy and registered nurse hours available to its patients. It supplied approximately 1.5 times as much care per patient from both of these care providers than the average nursing home provided. The final metric we assessed in this area is the number of residents that ultimately were able to return home from the nursing home. We found that it performed better than most facilities in this area with 53 percent of its patients returning home. For most nursing homes, fewer than half of their short-stay residents are able to return home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Father Baker Manor Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Father Baker Manor, 9.64% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is an indication of the percent of long-term patients which have pressure ulcers. We've found that pressure ulcers are a reliable measure of quality of care.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Father Baker Manor, 3.1% of Patients had Serious Falls
This gauges the percentage of long-term residents who experienced falls which resulted in serious injury. This is one of the statistics we use in calculating nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Father Baker Manor, 2.09% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint is an indication of the percentage of long-term stay residents who suffered from a UTI. While more infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's hygiene protocols, it is difficult to compare between facilities due to facilities having varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Father Baker Manor, 11.62% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are administered to patients for many medical conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias. Unfortunately, in limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may indicate a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Father Baker Manor, 13.11% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic gauges the percentage of long-term care patients receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Father Baker Manor, 13.02% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Father Baker Manor, 92.45% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Father Baker Manor, 14.69% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with ADL's may be a sign of decline of a resident's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Father Baker Manor, 18.9% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of patients that were able to retain mobility over time. Preserving mobility is usually a good sign for residents' health.
In Father Baker Manor, 1.2 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Father Baker Manor, 18.9 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Father Baker Manor, 8.78 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Father Baker Manor, 74.53% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term care patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
- Western Ny Childrens Psychiatric CenterPsychiatric 6.62 miles away1010 East & West Road Buffalo New York 14224Government - State(716) 677-7000
- Mercy Hospital of BuffaloAcute Care Hospitals 8.59 miles away565 Abbott Road Buffalo New York 14220Voluntary non-profit - Private(716) 826-7000
- Kaleida HealthAcute Care Hospitals 12.99 miles away100 High Street Buffalo New York 14210Voluntary non-profit - Private(716) 859-8620
- Erie County Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.1 miles away462 Grider Street Buffalo New York 14215Voluntary non-profit - Private(716) 898-3936
- Sisters of Charity HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.55 miles away2157 Main Street Buffalo New York 14214Voluntary non-profit - Private(716) 862-1000
- Bertrand Chaffee HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.21 miles away224 East Main Street Springville New York 14141Voluntary non-profit - Church(716) 592-2871
- Kenmore Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.22 miles away2950 Elmwood Avenue Buffalo New York 14217Voluntary non-profit - Church(716) 447-6100
- Davita Orchard Park Dialysis3.6 miles away3801 Taylor Road Orchard Park New York 14127CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (716) 209-7200
- Davita Southtowns Dialysis5.61 miles away4910 Camp Road, Suite 100 Hamburg New York 14075CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (716) 649-4072
- Davita Renal Care of Buffalo7.17 miles away550 Orchard Park Road Buffalo New York 14224CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (716) 677-0089
- Us Renal Care Cheektowaga Dialysis11.02 miles away2875 Union Road, Suite 13 C/D Buffalo New York 14227CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (716) 684-0276
- Oishei Children's Hospital of Buffalo11.22 miles awayHemodialysis Unit 818 Ellicott Street Buffalo New York 14203Dialysis Stations: 4 (716) 323-1765
- Us Renal Care West Cheektowaga12.46 miles away2861 Harlem Road Buffalo New York 14225CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (716) 891-7429
- Davita Buffalo Downtown Dialysis12.64 miles away520 Ellicott St Suite 100 Buffalo New York 14203Dialysis Stations: 13 (716) 845-5101
- Erie County Medical Center14 miles away462 Grider Street Dialysis Unit Buffalo New York 14215Dialysis Stations: 36 (716) 898-1400