Fairview Nursing Care Center is a facility in Forest Hills, New York, a city with a total of 68,733 people. We awarded this facility an overall grade of B-. A score in this range requires some decent marks. This place seems to have a few things going for it. One of the best aspects of this facility's report card is its remarkable inspection rating, which we will address in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Fairview Nursing Care Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Forest Hills senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Lymphedema Care
- Radiation Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a respectable facility overall, this place really excelled in the area of inspections, where it earned an A. Few facilities performed better in this area. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in calculating these inspection grades. One of those factors is deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of these deficiencies is usually more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some deficiencies end up being quite insignificant. Fortunately, although this nursing home had a few minor dings on its government inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are labeled as categories G through L. This tells you CMS did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. A couple minor deficiencies aren't necessarily something to panic about.
Short-term Care Quality
Another one of this nursing home's better category scores was in the category of short-term care. In that area, we gave this facility a grade of B+. It actually performed better than most nursing homes in this category. Short-term care grades are based in part on the facility's quantity of highly-skilled skilled healthcare professionals. This means a wide spectrum of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, in addition to other types of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final datapoint we looked at in this category is the percentage of patients who who were able to eventually return home from the facility. We found that 5.2 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Does this page answer your questions about Fairview Nursing Care Center?
Another reason we rated this nursing home so highly is that it earned an A+ nursing grade. The nursing grade is based on many factors, however, the most important one is the number of nurse hours per patient per week. This nursing home averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well in terms of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
The final area we rated is long-term care, which turned out to be this nursing home's weakest area. We awarded this nursing home a D in that category. Naturally, this score hurt the nursing home's overall profile to a certain degree. For long-term care residents, the nursing home's primary objective is to maintain residents' quality of life and keep them safe. In addition to considering the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility provided the vaccine to 100 percent of its residents, which is higher than the majority of nursing homes. To our surprise, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this facility had fewer hospitalizations than the average nursing home. Sadly, some of its other scores in the category weren't as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Fairview Nursing Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Fairview Nursing Care Center, 9.18% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are often caused by patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols can minimize the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Fairview Nursing Care Center, 3.11% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of residents who suffered from a fall which resulted in major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Fairview Nursing Care Center, 2.03% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint tells you the percentage of long-term residents which sustained a UTI. While a higher rate infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's hygiene protocols, it is difficult to compare between facilities due to nursing homes having differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Fairview Nursing Care Center, 12.22% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents prescribed antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many residents, it is important to confirm these medications are being used only where medically required. In some cases, increased usage of these drugs may suggest that a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Fairview Nursing Care Center, 13.51% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are administered to patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Fairview Nursing Care Center, 13.75% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who are exhibiting signs of depression. Higher rates of depression may be an indicator worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Fairview Nursing Care Center, 90.38% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Fairview Nursing Care Center, 15.3% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of residents that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Fairview Nursing Care Center, 14.12% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percent of long-term patients that maintained mobility. Some experts believe that the ability to move around is vital to patients well-being.
In Fairview Nursing Care Center, 1.46 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Fairview Nursing Care Center, 14.12 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Fairview Nursing Care Center, 9.74 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Fairview Nursing Care Center, 75.23% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term stay residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
- Queens Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.93 miles away82-68 164th Street Jamaica New York 11432Government - Local(718) 883-3000
- Jamaica Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.07 miles away89th Avenue and Van Wyck Expressway Richmond Hill New York 11418Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 262-6000
- Flushing Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.4 miles away45th Avenue and Parsons Boulevard Flushing New York 11355Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 670-5000
- Elmhurst Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.73 miles away79-01 Broadway Elmhurst New York 11373Government - Local(718) 334-1141
- Wyckoff Heights Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.39 miles away374 Stockholm Street Brooklyn New York 11237Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 963-7272
- Creedmoor Psychiatric CenterPsychiatric 5.54 miles away80-45 Winchester Blvd Bldg B Queens Village New York 11427Government - State(718) 264-4000
- Woodhull Medical & Mental Health CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.66 miles away760 Broadway Brooklyn New York 11206Government - Local(718) 963-8100
- Brookdale Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.37 miles away1 Brookdale Plaza Brooklyn New York 11212Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 240-5966
- The Ny Hosp Med Ctr of Queens1.61 miles away56-45 Main Street 8th Floor Hemodialysis Unit Flushing New York 11355Dialysis Stations: 4 (718) 670-1258
- Kew Gardens Dialysis Center1.69 miles away120-46 Queens Boulevard Kew Gardens New York 11415CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (718) 793-3341
- Atlas Park Dialysis1.97 miles away8000 Cooper Ave Ridgewood New York 11385Dialysis Stations: 25 (718) 326-2789
- Broadway Dialysis Center at Elmhurst Hospital Center2.28 miles away79-01 Broadway D-7 Wing Elmhurst New York 11373CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (718) 205-7772
- Davita Jamaica Hillside Dialysis2.66 miles away171-19 Hillside Ave Jamaica New York 11432Dialysis Stations: 25 (718) 526-2051
- Queens Dialysis at the Pavilion, LLC2.8 miles away36-17 Parsons Blvd Flushing New York 11354Dialysis Stations: 12 (718) 888-5200
- Fms-Queens Artificial Kidney Center2.81 miles away34-35 70th Street Jackson Heights New York 11372CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 52 (718) 651-9700
- Genesis Services2.91 miles away74-07 88th Street Ridgewood New York 11385CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (646) 931-1000