Fairview Nursing Care Center is a facility in Forest Hills, New York, a city with a total of 68,733 people. We awarded this facility an overall grade of B-. A score in this range requires some decent marks. This place seems to have a few things going for it. The best part of this facility's profile is its remarkable inspection rating. Inspection grades are discussed in the next paragraph.
Fairview Nursing Care Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Lymphedema Care
- Radiation Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a respectable facility overall, this place really excelled in the area of inspections, where it earned an A. Few facilities performed better in this area. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in calculating these inspection grades. One of those factors is deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of these deficiencies is usually more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some deficiencies end up being quite insignificant. Fortunately, although this nursing home had a few minor dings on its government inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are labeled as categories G through L. This tells you CMS did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. A couple minor deficiencies aren't necessarily something to panic about.
Short-term Care Quality
Another one of this nursing home's better category scores was in the category of short-term care. In that area, we gave this facility a grade of B. It actually performed better than most nursing homes in this category. Short-term care grades are based in part on the facility's quantity of highly-skilled skilled healthcare professionals. This means a wide spectrum of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, in addition to other types of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final datapoint we looked at in this category is the percentage of patients who who were able to eventually return home from the facility. We found that 4.8 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Does this page answer your questions about Fairview Nursing Care Center?
We also gave this nursing home a decent score in the category of nursing care, with a grade of B-. The nursing grade weighs several factors, but the primary one is the number of nurse hours per patient per week. This facility provided just 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient per day. This is a low total compared with most nursing homes. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this nursing home actually excelled in some of the quality measures we assessed. It scored well in the area of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be indicators of the quality of nursing care. In some cases, the quality of nursing care is as important as the number of hours of care provided.
Long-term Care Quality
The next category we scored is long-term care. We awarded it a C in that category. This is a fair grade in this category. In the category of long-term care, we look at the quantity of care provided by a nursing home, rather than more healthcare-oriented services. Once we assessed the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we then looked at the facility's vaccination statistics. We were pleased to discover that this facility vaccinated 97.798164 percent of its patients against pneumonia. This nursing home was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. It had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Fairview Nursing Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Fairview Nursing Care Center, 9.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are routinely the result of patients staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Fairview Nursing Care Center, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents that sustained a major fall. Falls leading to serious injuries are considered to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. Falls are often the result of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Fairview Nursing Care Center, 2.08% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents that have suffered from a UTI. UTI's could be an indication of a facility with worst hygiene practices. However, this statistic could also be skewed for certain facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Fairview Nursing Care Center, 11.61% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents who were given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are given to residents for a variety of conditions, such as dementia. Sadly, in limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Fairview Nursing Care Center, 13.28% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of residents prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are administered to patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Fairview Nursing Care Center, 13.6% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Fairview Nursing Care Center, 91.89% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Fairview Nursing Care Center, 14.66% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with ADL's could be a sign of the deterioration of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Fairview Nursing Care Center, 18.82% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term patients that retained mobility levels.
In Fairview Nursing Care Center, 1.2 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Fairview Nursing Care Center, 18.82 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Fairview Nursing Care Center, 8.77 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Fairview Nursing Care Center, 74.71% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percentage of short-term stay patients who experienced functional improvements.
- Queens Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.93 miles away82-68 164th Street Jamaica New York 11432Government - Local(718) 883-3000
- Jamaica Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.07 miles away89th Avenue and Van Wyck Expressway Richmond Hill New York 11418Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 262-6000
- Flushing Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.4 miles away45th Avenue and Parsons Boulevard Flushing New York 11355Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 670-5000
- Elmhurst Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.73 miles away79-01 Broadway Elmhurst New York 11373Government - Local(718) 334-1141
- Wyckoff Heights Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.39 miles away374 Stockholm Street Brooklyn New York 11237Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 963-7272
- Creedmoor Psychiatric CenterPsychiatric 5.54 miles away80-45 Winchester Blvd Bldg B Queens Village New York 11427Government - State(718) 264-4000
- Woodhull Medical & Mental Health CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.66 miles away760 Broadway Brooklyn New York 11206Government - Local(718) 963-8100
- Brookdale Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.37 miles away1 Brookdale Plaza Brooklyn New York 11212Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 240-5966
- The Ny Hosp Med Ctr of Queens1.61 miles away56-45 Main Street 8th Floor Hemodialysis Unit Flushing New York 11355Dialysis Stations: 4 (718) 670-1258
- Kew Gardens Dialysis Center1.69 miles away120-46 Queens Boulevard Kew Gardens New York 11415CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (718) 793-3341
- Atlas Park Dialysis1.97 miles away8000 Cooper Ave Ridgewood New York 11385Dialysis Stations: 25 (718) 326-2789
- Broadway Dialysis Center at Elmhurst Hospital Center2.28 miles away79-01 Broadway D-7 Wing Elmhurst New York 11373CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (718) 205-7772
- Davita Jamaica Hillside Dialysis2.66 miles away171-19 Hillside Ave Jamaica New York 11432Dialysis Stations: 25 (718) 526-2051
- Queens Dialysis at the Pavilion, LLC2.8 miles away36-17 Parsons Blvd Flushing New York 11354Dialysis Stations: 12 (718) 888-5200
- Fms-Queens Artificial Kidney Center2.81 miles away34-35 70th Street Jackson Heights New York 11372CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 52 (718) 651-9700
- Genesis Services2.91 miles away74-07 88th Street Ridgewood New York 11385CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (646) 931-1000