With over 25 nursing homes to choose from in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Fairview Nursing and Rehabilitation Center is one of the multitude of nursing homes here. This nursing home proved to be a solid facility, with an overall grade of C. This grade isn't too far off the city grade for Philadelphia, which is a B-. This place did not excel in all of our categories, but it did not receive any rock-bottom grades either. Additional information about these categories is available below.
Fairview Nursing and Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
184 Bethlehem Pike,
Philadelphia PA 19118
71.47% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to having a decent overall score, we also wanted to point out that this place received favorable inspections in recent years. We gave them one of our better scores in that category, with a B+. This is a notably better score than the nursing home's overall score. Arguably the most significant factor we look at in computing our inspection scores is deficiencies. Deficiencies can be found on a nursing home's inspection reports. Nursing homes with better grades in this area most likely avoided the more severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. While this place had some minor dings on its government inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones labeled as categories G through L. This means that CMS didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is always a good sign.
Long-term Care Quality
In addition, we awarded this facility a grade of B+ in our long-term care category. This happens to be one of our higher scores. In a long-term care setting, the nursing home's primary goal is to maintain residents' quality of life and keep them safe. After looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination statistics. This nursing home vaccinated 84.13793 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is a few points below what we anticipated but still a decent figure. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Fairview Nursing and Rehabilitation Center?
Short-term Care Quality
The third category we assessed was short-term care. In that area, we awarded this nursing home a solid grade of C. Our short-term care scores are arguably most important for those needing rehabilitation from their nursing home. Rehabilitation typically requires higher levels of highly-skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing means not merely nursing services, but also physical and respiratory therapy, as well as other variations of therapy. Unfortunately, this place was below average in terms of its number of physical therapy and registered nurse hours provided to its residents based on the metrics we assessed. The important question is whether this adversely impacted quality of care. Finally, we looked at the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 5.7 percent of this facility's patients returned home. At most nursing homes, closer to half of their residents are able to return home so this figure is below average.
Turning to the fourth category, we gave this facility a D for nursing. This was the nursing home's worst category grade. Nursing scores are mostly tied to a facility's level of nurse staffing. This place offered a meager 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident daily. This is an alarmingly low total. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in calculating our nursing grades. This facility performed well in the area of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Fairview Nursing and Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Fairview Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 7.59% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric gauges the percentage of long-term patients who are suffering from new or worsened pressure ulcers. We've found that pressure ulcers are a solid barometer of a facility's nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Fairview Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 3.37% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric is an indication of the percentage of long-term care residents who had falls leading to serious injury. We use this statistic in calculating our nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Fairview Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 1.9% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of patients who have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many experts to be an indicator of nursing care . UTI's are often associated with lower quality nursing care. However, this datapoint could also be skewed for certain nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Fairview Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 15.54% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients prescribed antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many residents, it is important to make sure these medications are being used appropriately. In some situations, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Fairview Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 19.74% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic measures the percent of long-term residents that were given antianxiety medication. These drugs are used to treat patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Fairview Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 3.12% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay residents showing symptoms of depression. Many believe that this is a reliable measure of patient quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Fairview Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 88.22% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term patients who have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home patients, making these vaccines critical to patient health.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Fairview Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 14.84% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Fairview Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 21.64% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents that remained mobile levels.
In Fairview Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of care. There is generally a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Fairview Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 21.64 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Fairview Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 8.92 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Fairview Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 72.59% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term stay residents that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Philadelphia, PA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Philadelphia, Pennsylvania has 48 other nursing homes
- Chestnut Hill HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.41 miles away8835 Germantown Ave Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19118Proprietary(215) 248-8200
- Roxborough Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.88 miles away5800 Ridge Ave Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19128Proprietary(215) 483-9900
- Albert Einstein Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.7 miles away5501 Old York Road Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19141Voluntary non-profit - Other(215) 456-6090
- Abington Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.36 miles away1200 Old York Road Abington Pennsylvania 19001Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 481-2000
- Temple University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.26 miles away3401 North Broad Street Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19140Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 707-2000
- Jeanes HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.52 miles away7600 Central Avenue Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19111Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 728-2000
- Suburban Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.65 miles away2701 Dekalb Pike Norristown Pennsylvania 19401Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 278-2000
- St Christopher's Hospital for ChildrenChildrens 6.87 miles away160 East Erie Ave Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19134Proprietary(215) 427-5000
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Mt. Airy1.21 miles away10 East Moreland Avenue, Suite 300 Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19118CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 39 (215) 381-0310
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Harston Hall1.37 miles away350 Haws Lane Flourtown Pennsylvania 19031Dialysis Stations: 9 (215) 233-0181
- Davita - Wyncote Dialysis3.29 miles awayCedarbrook Plaza 1000 Easton Road, Suite 250 Wyncote Pennsylvania 19095CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (215) 884-3398
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Olney3.41 miles away2154-58 Stenton Avenue Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19138CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (215) 548-3704
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Roxborough Dialysis3.64 miles away5003 Umbria Street Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19128Dialysis Stations: 16 (267) 331-6384
- Total Renal Care, Inc.3.99 miles away235 W. Chelten Avenue Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19144Dialysis Stations: 26 (215) 844-5915
- Reliant Renal Care - Cheltenham, LLC4.12 miles away7107 Old York Road Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19126Dialysis Stations: 10 (267) 297-8069
- Davita - Northern Philadelphia4.42 miles away5933 North Broad Street Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19141CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (215) 549-5000