Located in Costa Mesa, California, Fairview Developmental Center is one of just a few nursing homes there. We gave this nursing home an overall rating of A, which is a phenomenal grade. Indeed, it is actually the highest graded nursing home in the city. We also wanted to point out that this facility is based in a hospital. Typically, this means that more intensive medical services are available. Headlining this place's stellar profile is its long-term care grade, which is addressed in the next section.
Fairview Developmental Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Aug 1, 2020 by Nick Reese
Note: Data for Fairview Developmental Center has not been updated recently. This page shows historical performance which may not be representitive of current service levels.
Best Nursing Home in Costa Mesa, California Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Costa Mesa, California Awards 2020
Long-term Care Quality
To pair with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A+ for its nursing grade. When facilities receive this type of score in this category it is typically a good sign for patient care and indicates that the nursing home is well-staffed with nurses aids. In addition to looking at the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home administered the vaccine to 100 percent of its residents. Vaccines are critical to keeping patients out of the hospital. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
We also wanted to emphasize the fact that this facility received an impressive grade of A in our nursing category. Nursing scores are mostly associated with the nursing home's nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility the country in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can generally be avoided by offering better nursing care, such as having a protocol of moving a resident at least once a day.
Does this page answer your questions about Fairview Developmental Center?
This facility also received a nearly flawless government inspection report. As a result, it received one of our best grades in that category with an A. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in computing our inspection grades. One critical factor is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of these deficiencies is usually more meaningful than the quantity of deficiencies, as some deficiencies end up being quite minor. Fortunately, although this nursing home had a few minor dings on its inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones labeled as categories G through L. This means that the inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
In the final category we assessed, this nursing home received a very favorable grade of B+ in our short-term care category. With this score, the facility rounded out a very strong report card. In computing our short-term care scores, we analyze the nursing home's levels of skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists occupational therapists and other licensed professionals. This rating is more often than not a meaningful assessment of the facility's rehabilitation. We weren't able to track down information on registered nurse or physical therapy staffing for this nursing home. The final metric we assessed in this area is the percentage of residents who ultimately were able to return home from the nursing home. We found that 0 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Fairview Developmental Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Fairview Developmental Center, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure measures the percentage of long-term stay residents that have new or worsened pressure ulcers. We have found that pressure ulcers are a great indicator of the quality of nursing care a facility provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Fairview Developmental Center, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric tells you the percentage of long-term stay patients who experienced a fall which caused serious injury. We use this statistic in calculating our nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Fairview Developmental Center, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This metric measures the percentage of long-term patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's may be an indication of a facility with lower levels of hygiene. Nevertheless, this metric could also be skewed for some nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Fairview Developmental Center, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents given antipsychotic drugs. These medications are used to treat several conditions, such as dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Fairview Developmental Center, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is an indication of the percent of long-term patients who were prescribed antianxiety medication. These drugs are given to residents experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Fairview Developmental Center, 4.64% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who are showing signs of depression. Increased rates of depression could be a sign a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Fairview Developmental Center, 95.44% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home residents, making these types of vaccines vital to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Fairview Developmental Center, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and bathing.
In Fairview Developmental Center, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
- Memorialcare Orange Coast Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.35 miles away9920 Talbert Avenue Fountain Valley California 92708Proprietary(714) 378-7406
- Fountain Valley Regional Hospital & Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.66 miles away17100 Euclid Street Fountain Valley California 92708Proprietary(714) 966-7200
- South Coast Global Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.67 miles away2701 S Bristol St Santa Ana California 92704Proprietary(714) 754-5454
- Huntington Beach HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.89 miles away17772 Beach Blvd Huntington Beach California 92647Proprietary(714) 843-5000
- Garden Grove Hospital & Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.57 miles away12601 Garden Grove Blvd Garden Grove California 92843Proprietary(714) 537-5160
- Orange County Global Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.75 miles away1001 North Tustin Avenue Santa Ana California 92705Proprietary(714) 953-3610
- University of California Irvine Med CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.06 miles away101 City Drive South Orange California 92868Government - Local(714) 456-6112
- St Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.61 miles away1100 West Stewart Dr Orange California 92868Voluntary non-profit - Church(714) 633-9111
- Fmc-Newport Mesa Dialysis Services1.98 miles away1175 Baker Street, Suite B Costa Mesa California 92626CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (714) 641-5808
- Fmc-Newport Superior Dialysis Center2.38 miles away510 Superior Avenue, Suite 150 Newport Beach California 92663CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (949) 574-4733
- Davita-Costa Mesa Dialysis2.41 miles away1590 Scenic Avenue Costa Mesa California 92626CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (714) 540-9401
- Davita-Fountain Valley Dialysis2.84 miles away17150 Euclid Street, Suite 111 Fountain Valley California 92708CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (714) 966-1595
- Fmc-Newport Beach Dialysis3.32 miles away3333 W. Coast Highway, Suite 101 Newport Beach California 92663Dialysis Stations: 16 (949) 631-0107
- Fmc-Rai-Fountain Valley Home3.43 miles away17197 Newhope Street, Suite E Fountain Valley California 92708Dialysis Stations: 3 (714) 435-0281
- Fmc-Santa Ana Dialysis3.62 miles away2740 S. Bristol Street, Suite 110 Santa Ana California 92704CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (714) 754-1670
- Davita-Newport Irvine Dialysis3.67 miles away4300 Von Karman Newport Beach California 92660Dialysis Stations: 17 (949) 863-1382