Located in Costa Mesa, California, Fairview Developmental Center is one of just a few nursing homes there. With an A overall grade, we rated this nursing home in the top fifth of all nursing homes in the country. We also wanted to point out that this place is based in a hospital. Typically, this indicates that more intensive medical services are offered. Headlining this place's exemplary profile is its long-term care grade, which we will address in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Fairview Developmental Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Aug 1, 2020 by Nick Lata
Note: Data for Fairview Developmental Center has not been updated recently. This page shows historical performance which may not be representitive of current service levels.
Get pricing and details on Costa Mesa senior living options.Get Pricing
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Best Nursing Home in Costa Mesa, California Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Costa Mesa, California Awards 2020
Long-term Care Quality
In addition to performing well in its overall grade, this nursing home earned an excellent long-term care grade. In fact, we gave it a grade of A in that category. Facilities that do well in this category typically are well-staffed and offer extensive hands on care to residents. In addition to considering the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its residents. Vaccines are critical to keeping patients healthy. Lastly, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
We also wanted to emphasize the fact that this facility received an impressive grade of A in our nursing category. Our nursing score is mostly associated with a facility's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home averages 0 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This place performed very well in terms of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about Fairview Developmental Center?
Tallying yet another strong category grade, this facility also excelled in inspections, where it earned an A. Inspection grades take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these issues by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This nursing home received 7 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe. This means that CMS did not consider any of the deficiencies an imminent risk to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
Moving on to the fourth category, this nursing home also excelled in the short-term care category. In fact, we awarded it a grade of B+ in that area. This finalized a first-rate report card. Short-term care grades are generally used to gauge a nursing home's performance with rehabilitation. To offer highly graded rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally need to feature higher levels of skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, respiratory therapists and other licensed professionals. We were not able to find registered nurse or physical therapy staffing data for this facility. Lastly, we looked at the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 0 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Fairview Developmental Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Fairview Developmental Center, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure gauges the percent of long-term care residents that have pressure ulcers. We find that pressure ulcers are a great barometer of the quality of nursing care a facility provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Fairview Developmental Center, 1.84% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric tells you the percent of long-term patients which experienced a fall which resulted in major injury. This is one of the statistics we use in calculating nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Fairview Developmental Center, 1.34% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often associated with facilities with lower levels of hygiene. Closer supervision reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. We want to point out that this statistic is affected by by the fact that nursing homes have incongruent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Fairview Developmental Center, 10.3% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are given to patients for a variety of medical conditions, including cognitive disorders. Unfortunately, in limited situations, excessive reliance on these medications may mean a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Fairview Developmental Center, 13.84% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is an indication of the percentage of long-term stay residents which were prescribed antianxiety medication. These medications are typically given to residents suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Fairview Developmental Center, 5.83% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who are showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Fairview Developmental Center, 95.65% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Fairview Developmental Center, 8.26% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's may be a sign of deterioration of a resident's well-being.
In Fairview Developmental Center, 1.78 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Minimizing hospitalizations is critical to maintaining the physical well-being of nursing home residents.
- Memorialcare Orange Coast Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.35 miles away9920 Talbert Avenue Fountain Valley California 92708Proprietary(714) 378-7406
- Fountain Valley Regional Hospital & Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.66 miles away17100 Euclid Street Fountain Valley California 92708Proprietary(714) 966-7200
- South Coast Global Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.67 miles away2701 S Bristol St Santa Ana California 92704Proprietary(714) 754-5454
- Huntington Beach HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.89 miles away17772 Beach Blvd Huntington Beach California 92647Proprietary(714) 843-5000
- Garden Grove Hospital & Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.57 miles away12601 Garden Grove Blvd Garden Grove California 92843Proprietary(714) 537-5160
- Orange County Global Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.75 miles away1001 North Tustin Avenue Santa Ana California 92705Proprietary(714) 953-3610
- University of California Irvine Med CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.06 miles away101 City Drive South Orange California 92868Government - Local(714) 456-6112
- St Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.61 miles away1100 West Stewart Dr Orange California 92868Voluntary non-profit - Church(714) 633-9111
- Fmc-Newport Mesa Dialysis Services1.98 miles away1175 Baker Street, Suite B Costa Mesa California 92626CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (714) 641-5808
- Fmc-Newport Superior Dialysis Center2.38 miles away510 Superior Avenue, Suite 150 Newport Beach California 92663CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (949) 574-4733
- Davita-Costa Mesa Dialysis2.41 miles away1590 Scenic Avenue Costa Mesa California 92626CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (714) 540-9401
- Davita-Fountain Valley Dialysis2.84 miles away17150 Euclid Street, Suite 111 Fountain Valley California 92708CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (714) 966-1595
- Fmc-Newport Beach Dialysis3.32 miles away3333 W. Coast Highway, Suite 101 Newport Beach California 92663Dialysis Stations: 16 (949) 631-0107
- Fmc-Rai-Fountain Valley Home3.43 miles away17197 Newhope Street, Suite E Fountain Valley California 92708Dialysis Stations: 3 (714) 435-0281
- Fmc-Santa Ana Dialysis3.62 miles away2740 S. Bristol Street, Suite 110 Santa Ana California 92704CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (714) 754-1670
- Davita-Newport Irvine Dialysis3.67 miles away4300 Von Karman Newport Beach California 92660Dialysis Stations: 17 (949) 863-1382