With over 20 options in Chicago, Illinois, Fairmont Care Centre is one of many possibilities. This is a well below average nursing home, with an overall grade of D. This is not the worse place we found, but we would still be very reluctant to recommend it. More information on this facility's category grades may be found below. Its best category was short-term care, which is addressed in the next paragraph.
Fairmont Care Centre
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
Even though we were not high on this nursing home's overall grade, it received an impressive short-term care grade this year. We awarded it a B+ in this area, which proved to be a rare glimmer of hope in its profile. Our short-term care ratings are based in part on a nursing home's quantity of highly-skilled nursing services. This includes a wide scope of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every facility employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last datapoint we considered in this category is the percentage of patients that ultimately were able to return home from the nursing home. We found that 5.6 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
We also ended up giving this facility a fairly respectable grade in the area of nursing, where it received a grade of B-. Our nursing grade is largely associated with a facility's level of nurse staffing. This facility provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a relatively low total compared to most other facilities. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this place excelled in some of the quality measures we assessed. It scored well in the area of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. Many consider these areas to be indicators of the quality of nursing care. In some cases, the quality of nursing care is every bit as important as the number of hours of care provided.
Does this page answer your questions about Fairmont Care Centre?
We also awarded this nursing home a grade of B- for our inspections rating. This score is a more impressive than the facility's overall grade. Our inspection ratings weigh several factors found on a nursing home's inspection report. One of the most important criteria we rely on is the number and severity of deficiencies. This facility received 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none were considered to be major deficiencies. This tells you that CMS didn't consider any of these deficiencies to cause an immediate threat to resident health or safety. A couple minor deficiencies aren't necessarily the end of the world.
Long-term Care Quality
The final category we graded was long-term care, where this nursing home received a poor grade in this area as well. Sadly, it received an abysmal F for this category, which is obviously very concerning. For residents looking for a permanent residence rather than rehabilitation, long-term care grades are a key measure. Once we looked at the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we next considered the facility's vaccination record. This nursing home vaccinated 97.41784 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which is higher than most nursing homes. Surprisingly, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this facility had fewer hospitalizations than the average nursing home. Unfortunately, some of its other scores in the category were not as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Fairmont Care Centre Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Fairmont Care Centre, 8.73% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are often the result of patients staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Fairmont Care Centre, 3.45% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure tells you the percent of long-term patients who have sustained a fall leading to major injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls could be a sign of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Fairmont Care Centre, 2.6% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often caused by lower quality nursing care. More frequent bathing can minimize the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. We want to point out that this datapoint is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Fairmont Care Centre, 18.11% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric indicates the percentage of long-term care residents receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used appropriately. In some situations, increased usage of these drugs may indicate that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Fairmont Care Centre, 19.04% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint gauges the percent of long-term care patients that are given antianxiety medication. These drugs are used to treat patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Fairmont Care Centre, 30.45% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Fairmont Care Centre, 87.4% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay patients that have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home residents, making these types of vaccines vital to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Fairmont Care Centre, 13.9% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of residents that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with ADL's could be a sign of the deterioration of a resident's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Fairmont Care Centre, 17.56% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of patients who were able to retain mobility over time. Preserving mobility is usually a good sign for residents' health.
In Fairmont Care Centre, 1.66 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. Avoiding hospitalizations is critical to the physical well-being of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Fairmont Care Centre, 17.56 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Fairmont Care Centre, 11.82 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the overall quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Fairmont Care Centre, 71.65% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percent of short-term stay patients that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Some experts would argue this is a reasonable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Chicago, IL
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Chicago, Illinois has 80 other nursing homes
- Swedish Covenant HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.5 miles away5145 N California Ave Chicago Illinois 60625Voluntary non-profit - Church(773) 878-8200
- Community First Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.83 miles away5645 W Addison Street Chicago Illinois 60634Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 282-7000
- Methodist Hospital of ChicagoAcute Care Hospitals 2.92 miles away5025 N Paulina Street Chicago Illinois 60640Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 271-9040
- Aurora Chicago Lakeshore HospitalPsychiatric 4 miles away4840 N Marine Dr Chicago Illinois 60640Proprietary(773) 878-9700
- Louis a Weiss Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.09 miles away4646 N Marine Drive Chicago Illinois 60640Proprietary(773) 878-8700
- Presence Saint Francis HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.12 miles away355 Ridge Ave Evanston Illinois 60202Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 316-4000
- Thorek Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.17 miles away850 W Irving Park Rd Chicago Illinois 60613Voluntary non-profit - Private(312) 525-6780
- Presence Resurrection Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.44 miles away7435 W Talcott Avenue Chicago Illinois 60631Voluntary non-profit - Church(773) 774-8000
- Davita Irving Park Dialysis0.96 miles away4323 N Pulaski Road Chicago Illinois 60641Dialysis Stations: 12 (773) 279-8714
- Nephron Dialysis Center, Ltd.2.26 miles away5140 N. California Ave. Suite 510 Chicago Illinois 60625Dialysis Stations: 16 (773) 293-2100
- Fmc - Northcenter Dialysis2.55 miles away2620 W. Addison St. Chicago Illinois 60618CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (773) 248-0462
- Fmc - West Belmont2.71 miles away4943 W Belmont Ave. Chicago Illinois 60641CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (773) 685-7500
- Center for Renal Replacement, LLC2.87 miles away7301 North Lincoln Ave., Ste 205 Lincolnwood Illinois 60712Dialysis Stations: 16 (847) 675-5555
- Davita - Logan Square Dialysis Svcs Inc2.96 miles away2838 N Kimball Ave Chicago Illinois 60618CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (773) 342-3738
- Fmc - Logan Square3.12 miles away2721 N Spaulding Chicago Illinois 60647Dialysis Stations: 16 (773) 292-2971
- Davita - Montclare Dialysis3.25 miles away7009 W Belmont Avenue Chicago Illinois 60634CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (773) 889-6051