Fairlane Senior Care and Rehab Center is a large nursing home in Detroit, Michigan. This isn't a very good nursing home with a D overall grade. Sadly, this grade is right in line with the city grade in Detroit. This isn't the worse place we looked at, however, we'd still be very reluctant to recommend it. This nursing home's only redeeming feature was its inspection score, which you can find additional information on below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Fairlane Senior Care and Rehab Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Detroit senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
While we were not high on this nursing home's overall grade, it actually received a very impressive inspection report this year. In fact, it received an excellent inspection report this year. As a result, it earned one of our best grades in that category with an A. Our inspection scores are tied to datapoints found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are an important item to look for on these inspections. Most importantly, you should avoid facilities with severe deficiencies associated with endangerment of patients. Fortunately, although this facility had a few minor dings on its report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those found in categories G through L. This means that the inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. A couple minor deficiencies are not the end of the world.
Long-term Care Quality
We gave this facility a grade of just D for our long-term care grade and that actually turned out to be its second most favorable score. For long-term care residents, the nursing home's primary goal is to maintain residents' quality of life and keep them safe. After assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we then analyzed the nursing home's vaccination statistics. This facility vaccinated 97.58454 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which is more than the average nursing home. To our surprise, this place was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had just 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. Unfortunately, a few of its other scores in this category were not as favorable as these.
Does this page answer your questions about Fairlane Senior Care and Rehab Center?
We gave this facility a grade of just D for our nursing rating. When computing our nursing ratings, we look at both nursing hours and the skill levels of those nurses. This place averaged just 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis. This is an alarmingly low total. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in computing our nursing grades. This place performed well when it comes to minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Short-term Care Quality
The last area we scored is short-term care. This nursing home received a poor grade of F in this area. Our short-term care grades are meaningful for individuals seeking rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually mandates more highly-skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes a broad scope of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other types of therapy. As you might expect, we learned that this facility provides far less registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than the typical facility. The last metric we considered in this category is the number of residents who returned home from the facility. This facility struggled quite a bit in this metric as well, with just 4.3 percent of its patients returning home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Fairlane Senior Care and Rehab Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Fairlane Senior Care and Rehab Center, 14.09% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage caused by remaining in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Fairlane Senior Care and Rehab Center, 0.97% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric indicates the percent of long-term stay patients that have suffered falls which resulted in serious injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls could be an indication of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Fairlane Senior Care and Rehab Center, 3.03% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic gauges the percent of long-term stay residents that have suffered from UTI's. UTI's may be an indicator of lower quality nursing care. However, this statistic may be misleading for certain facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Fairlane Senior Care and Rehab Center, 2.33% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are administered to residents for many medical conditions, including dementia. Unfortunately, in limited situations, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Fairlane Senior Care and Rehab Center, 5.45% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of residents prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are administered to residents experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Fairlane Senior Care and Rehab Center, 0% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term residents who are exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Fairlane Senior Care and Rehab Center, 98.79% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Fairlane Senior Care and Rehab Center, 6.79% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care residents that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and using the bathroom. Many argue this is a reliable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Fairlane Senior Care and Rehab Center, 5.71% of Residents
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who were able to retain mobility. Many in the industry argue that mobility is important for patients well-being.
In Fairlane Senior Care and Rehab Center, 0.02 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Fairlane Senior Care and Rehab Center, 5.71% of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Fairlane Senior Care and Rehab Center, 7.86% of Patients
This metric tracks the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to measure patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Fairlane Senior Care and Rehab Center, 96.7% of Resident
This is the percent of short-term stay patients who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Detroit, MI
- Overall Rating has a grade of D
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Detroit, Michigan has 5 other nursing homes
- Sinai-Grace HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.41 miles away6071 W Outer Drive Detroit Michigan 48235Proprietary(313) 966-3300
- Beaumont Hospital - DearbornAcute Care Hospitals 4.64 miles away18101 Oakwood Blvd Dearborn Michigan 48124Voluntary non-profit - Private(313) 593-7125
- Henry Ford HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.9 miles away2799 W Grand Blvd Detroit Michigan 48202Voluntary non-profit - Private(313) 916-2600
- Garden City HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.96 miles away6245 Inkster Rd Garden City Michigan 48135Voluntary non-profit - Private(734) 421-3300
- Ascension Providence HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.02 miles away16001 W Nine Mile Rd Southfield Michigan 48075Voluntary non-profit - Church(248) 849-3011
- Harper University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.24 miles away3990 John R Street Detroit Michigan 48201Proprietary(313) 745-6211
- Children's Hospital of MichiganChildrens 7.45 miles away3901 Beaubien Street Detroit Michigan 48201Proprietary(313) 745-5437
- Beaumont Hospital - Farmington HillsAcute Care Hospitals 8.65 miles away28050 Grand River Avenue Farmington Michigan 48336Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 471-8000
- Davita East Dearborn Dialysis1.68 miles away13200 W Warren Ave Suite A Dearborn Michigan 48126Dialysis Stations: 16 (313) 582-0131
- Detroit Kidney Center LLC2.28 miles away13437 Schaefer Hwy Detroit Michigan 48227Dialysis Stations: 20 (313) 270-2709
- Bio Medical Applications of Michigan Inc2.54 miles away5250 Auto Club Dr Ste 100 Dearborn Michigan 48126Dialysis Stations: 13 (313) 982-9820
- Dearborn Kidney Center, LLC2.66 miles away5111 Auto Club Dr Bldg B, Ste 120 Dearborn Michigan 48126Dialysis Stations: 16 (313) 982-9788
- Greenfield Hs - Dearborn2.84 miles away19001 Hubbard Dr Dearborn Michigan 48126CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (313) 441-1160
- Davita Wyoming Street Dialysis2.99 miles away13945 Wyoming St Detroit Michigan 48238Dialysis Stations: 13 (313) 931-5230
- Fmc Dialysis - Northwest Detroit3.5 miles away18944 Grand River Ave Detroit Michigan 48223CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (313) 837-1530
- Wayne County Dialysis3.59 miles away20001 Livernois Ave Ste 500 Detroit Michigan 48221Dialysis Stations: 25 (313) 861-0340