Fairhaven Healthcare Center is one of eight nursing homes in Lowell, Massachusetts. This facility received an overall grade of C, which is a middle of the pack rating. This grade is not too far off the city grade for Lowell, which is a B-. One of the highlights of this nursing home's report card is its impressive inspection score, which we will address in the next section.
Fairhaven Healthcare Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Meal Delivery
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Peritoneal Dialysis
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Catheter Care
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
The primary reason this turned out to be a decent nursing home is that it received an excellent inspection score. Its inspection grade was far superior to its overall score. In our inspections category, we gave this facility an A-. Perhaps the most important factor we consider in determining our inspection ratings is deficiencies. Deficiencies are found on a facility's inspection reports. Places with higher grades in this category most likely dodged the most severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. Fortunately, although this place had a few minor dings on its government inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you the government inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. A couple of minor deficiencies should not lead you to cross a nursing home off your list.
Long-term Care Quality
Another one of this nursing home's higher category scores was in the area of long-term care. In that area, we gave this nursing home a B. Nursing homes that receive this kind of grade in this category typically provide consistent 24/7 care to make sure patients are well cared for. Once we assessed the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination record. This facility vaccinated 79.27711 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is a bit below what we anticipated but still a respectable figure. Although its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we had hoped, we were pleased to find place was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Fairhaven Healthcare Center?
We also awarded this facility a favorable grade in nursing. This facility earned a grade of B in this category, which is one of our better grades. Our nursing score assesses the facility's level of nurse staffing. We consider both the levels of licensure of those nurses and the quantity of hours spent with residents. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This place performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can many times be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility's least impressive area is short-term care, which is the last area we analyzed. Unfortunately, we gave it a lowly F for this category. Even with some solid scores in other categories, this grade is nevertheless of a concern so we would like to to make a note of it. Our short-term care ratings are presumably most important for residents in need of rehabilitation services. Rehabilitation usually utilizes higher levels of skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing means not just nursing services, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other forms of therapy. Not surprisingly, we found that this nursing home provides far less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the average facility. Finally, we assessed the percentage of patients that returned home from this nursing home. This facility didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 4.2 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home. This figure was quite a bit off the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Fairhaven Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Fairhaven Healthcare Center, 6.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This gauges the percentage of long-term residents that suffered from new or worsened pressure ulcers . We factor in this statistic in computing both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Fairhaven Healthcare Center, 3.62% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients that suffered falls resulting in major injury. This is one of the statistics we use in computing nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Fairhaven Healthcare Center, 2.45% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic indicates the percent of long-term residents who experienced a urinary tract infection. UTI's may be an indication of a facility with worst hygiene practices. Nevertheless, this metric can also be skewed for certain nursing homes due to different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Fairhaven Healthcare Center, 18.96% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are given to residents for a variety of conditions, such as cognitive disorders. Unfortunately, in some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Fairhaven Healthcare Center, 18.8% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure gauges the percent of long-term stay residents receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Fairhaven Healthcare Center, 1.95% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents exhibiting depressive symptoms. Higher levels of depression may reveal a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Fairhaven Healthcare Center, 91.63% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Fairhaven Healthcare Center, 15.18% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with ADL's could indicate the erosion of a resident's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Fairhaven Healthcare Center, 19.01% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of residents that maintained mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a good sign for residents' health.
In Fairhaven Healthcare Center, 1.24 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. There is typically a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Fairhaven Healthcare Center, 19.01 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Fairhaven Healthcare Center, 10.9 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Fairhaven Healthcare Center, 71.03% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term patients who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of performance with activities of daily living often correlates with better rehabilitation.
Scores for Lowell, MA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Lowell, Massachusetts has 7 other nursing homes
- Lowell General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.31 miles away295 Varnum Avenue Lowell Massachusetts 01854Voluntary non-profit - Private(978) 937-6000
- Southern Nh Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.57 miles away8 Prospect Street Nashua New Hampshire 03060Voluntary non-profit - Private(603) 577-2000
- St Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.84 miles away172 Kinsley St Nashua New Hampshire 03060Voluntary non-profit - Other(603) 882-3000
- Holy Family HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.63 miles away70 East Street Methuen Massachusetts 01844Proprietary(978) 687-0156
- Nashoba Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.38 miles away200 Groton Road Ayer Massachusetts 01432Proprietary(978) 784-9000
- Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, BurlingtonAcute Care Hospitals 13.08 miles away41 & 45 Mall Road Burlington Massachusetts 01803Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 744-5100
- Emerson Hospital -Acute Care Hospitals 13.59 miles away133 Old Road to 9 Acre Corner Concord Massachusetts 01742Voluntary non-profit - Private(978) 369-1400
- Parkland Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 16.26 miles away1 Parkland Drive Derry New Hampshire 03038Proprietary(603) 421-2100
- Fresenius Medical Care Chelmsford3.62 miles away27 Industrial Ave Chelmsford Massachusetts 01824Dialysis Stations: 16 (978) 250-0981
- Fresenius Medical Care of Lowell3.76 miles away847 Rogers Street Suite 101 Lowell Massachusetts 01852CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 35 (978) 441-5100
- Davita Nashua Dialysis9.61 miles away38 Tyler Street Nashua New Hampshire 03061CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (603) 598-1665
- Bio-Medical Applications of New Hampshire Inc10.26 miles away19 Keewadin Drive Suite 1 Salem New Hampshire 03079Dialysis Stations: 1 (603) 870-0969
- Versailles Dialysis LLC10.51 miles away18 Pelham Road Salem New Hampshire 03079Dialysis Stations: 10 (603) 870-9487
- Davita North Andover Renal at Home11.68 miles away201 Sutton Street North Andover Massachusetts 01845CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (978) 975-1119
- Fresenius Medical Care Merrimack Valley11.83 miles away100 Milk Street Methuen Massachusetts 01844CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (978) 686-9900
- Davita Burlington Regional Dialysis12.32 miles away31 Mall Road-Dialysis Suite 1b Burlington Massachusetts 01803CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (781) 270-3580