Fairhaven is an average-sized non-profit nursing home located in Sykesville, Maryland. This nursing home was given an A- overall, which is among the top grades that we offer. A grade of this caliber requires top-notch scores across the board. In fact, we were so impressed with this nursing home that we rated it as the number one facility in Sykesville. The best aspect of this nursing home's impressive profile is its short-term care rating. short-term care grades are discussed in the next section
- Nursing Home
- Home Health Agency
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
7200 Third Avenue,
Sykesville MD 21784
60.12% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Best Nursing Home in Maryland Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Sykesville, Maryland Awards 2020
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
In addition to receiving a great overall score, this facility received an A+ in our short-term care rating. In computing these short-term care ratings, we look at the facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. The objective is to formulate a tool for sizing up the rehabilitation services of various nursing homes. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last statistic we looked at in this category is the number of patients that ultimately were able to return home from the nursing home. We found that 6 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
Among its many impressive grades, this facility received an excellent nursing grade. In fact, we gave it a grade of A in that category. Our nursing grade is largely associated with the nursing home's nurse staffing. This facility provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can many times be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Fairhaven?
This nursing home also performed well in the area of inspections. It earned a nearly flawless inspection report this year. It received one of our best grades in that category with a grade of B+. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in calculating our inspection ratings. One critical factor is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of these deficiencies is usually more meaningful than the quantity of deficiencies, as some of these can be relatively insignificant. Although this nursing home had some deficiencies on its inspection report, none of them were major deficiencies based on CMS' deficiency scale. We should point out that deficiency-free inspection reports are uncommon in the industry.
Long-term Care Quality
The next area we analyzed is long-term care, where this nursing home received a grade of B-. Even though this is its worst category grade, this is still not a terrible score. For prospective patients seeking a permanent place to live as opposed to rehabilitation, long-term care is a very important category. One of the criteria we considered after nursing hours was vaccines. Frankly, we were a bit alarmed this nursing home administered the pneumonia vaccination to only 87.40157 percent of its patients. On a more positive note, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Fairhaven Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Fairhaven, 10.24% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin caused by remaining in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Fairhaven, 2.73% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who have suffered falls resulting in serious injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls could be an indicator of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Fairhaven, 2.07% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered to be a measure of nursing care . UTI's are often linked to poor nursing care. However, this statistic may be skewed for some nursing homes due to different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Fairhaven, 13.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure indicates the percent of long-term stay patients which are administered antipsychotic drugs. Excessive reliance on these medications may indicate a facility is using these medications to subdue residents in scenarios where such medications aren't medically required. Nevertheless, some nursing homes may need to rely more on these medications due to an increased number of residents suffering from Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Fairhaven, 14.46% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term residents taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Fairhaven, 10.18% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay residents who are exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Fairhaven, 92.14% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Fairhaven, 19.83% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living could be a sign of decline of a patient's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Fairhaven, 28.37% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of patients that maintained mobility over time. Retaining mobility is often a great sign for residents' health.
In Fairhaven, 1.1 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Avoiding hospitalizations is important to preserving the physical health of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Fairhaven, 28.37 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Fairhaven, 8.93 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to assess the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Fairhaven, 74.3% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percentage of short-term stay residents who experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Sykesville, MD
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-minus
Looking for more options? Sykesville, Maryland has 3 other nursing homes
- Northwest Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.05 miles away5401 Old Court Road Randallstown Maryland 21133Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 521-2200
- Howard County General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.02 miles away5755 Cedar Lane Columbia Maryland 21044Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 740-7890
- Carroll Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.58 miles away200 Memorial Avenue Westminster Maryland 21157Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 848-3000
- Medstar Montgomery Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 16.19 miles away18101 Prince Philip Drive Olney Maryland 20832Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 774-8882
- Sinai Hospital of BaltimoreAcute Care Hospitals 16.44 miles away2401 West Belvedere Avenue Baltimore Maryland 21215Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 601-5131
- Saint Agnes HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.38 miles away900 Caton Avenue Baltimore Maryland 21229Voluntary non-profit - Church(410) 368-2101
- Bon Secours HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.08 miles away2000 W Baltimore Street Baltimore Maryland 21223Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 362-3000
- Greater Baltimore Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 18.28 miles away6701 North Charles Street Towson Maryland 21204Voluntary non-profit - Private(443) 849-2000
- Davita - Owings Mills8.6 miles away11221 Dolfield Blvd Owings Mills Maryland 21117Dialysis Stations: 25 (410) 363-2019
- Fresenius Medical Care Randallstown LLC9.13 miles away9109 Liberty Rd Randallstown Maryland 21133Dialysis Stations: 12 (410) 655-1076
- Baltimore County Dialysis Facility9.3 miles away3689 a Offutt Road Randallstown Maryland 21133CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (410) 922-2475
- Davita-Ellicott Kidney Center LLC9.9 miles away3000 N Ridge Rd Ellicott City Maryland 21043Dialysis Stations: 7 (410) 465-0273
- Ellicott City Dialysis Center LLC9.94 miles away3419 Plum Tree Drive Suites 103-106 Ellicott City Maryland 21042CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (410) 750-8426
- Davita Ridge Road Dialysis10 miles away530 E Ridgeville Blvd Mount Airy Maryland 21771Dialysis Stations: 13 (301) 829-5162
- Davita - Windsor Dialysis11.08 miles away2707 Rolling Rd Stes 104-105 Windsor Mill Maryland 21244CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (410) 944-2649
- Kidney Home Center11.72 miles away2270 Rolling Run Drive Suite 600 Windsor Mill Maryland 21244Dialysis Stations: 21 (410) 265-0618