Fairhaven is an average-sized non-profit nursing home located in Sykesville, Maryland. This nursing home was given an A- overall, which is among the top grades that we offer. A grade of this caliber requires top-notch scores across the board. In fact, we were so impressed with this nursing home that we rated it as the number one facility in Sykesville. If you look below, you will see this place's category ratings, which are also impressive.
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
We also want to emphasize the fact that this nursing home received an impressive grade of A for short-term care. In our short-term care score, we attempt to forge a sound barometer for rehabilitation. In this process, we assess the nursing home's offerings of highly-skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as respiratory therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the information this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Finally, we looked at the percentage of residents that returned home from this nursing home. We found that 6 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Adding to its impressive resume, this nursing home also excelled in our nursing category. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A for that category. There are many subcategories within this area. Most of these criteria relate to the quantity of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This place performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can many times be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Fairhaven?
We awarded this nursing home a score of A- for inspections. Inspection ratings are tied to many datapoints located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities that receive favorable grades in this category have few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these facilities should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. This place was hit with 5 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe deficiencies. This tells you that the inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies to create an imminent threat to patient safety or health. A couple minor deficiencies are not necessarily something to panic about.
Long-term Care Quality
The final category we looked at was long-term care, in which this facility received a B. Although this is its worst category rating, this is still a good score. For patients looking for a permanent place to live rather than rehabilitation, long-term care grades are an important measure. In addition to considering the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 87.60331 percent of its residents. This is somewhat less than we were hoping for but still a respectable percentage. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Fairhaven Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Fairhaven, 10.35% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage due to staying in one position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Fairhaven, 2.83% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric tells you the percentage of long-term stay residents who had falls resulting in major injury. We use this statistic in determining our nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Fairhaven, 2.06% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many experts to be a measure of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are often caused by lower quality nursing care. However, this statistic can also be skewed for some nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Fairhaven, 13.12% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients given antipsychotic medications. These medications are used for treating a variety of conditions, such as dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Fairhaven, 14.71% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of residents who were given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are prescribed to patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Fairhaven, 10.05% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who are demonstrating signs of depression. Higher levels of depression may be an indicator a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Fairhaven, 92.62% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Fairhaven, 19.85% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with ADL's could be a sign of decline of a patient's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Fairhaven, 30.15% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of residents who remained mobile levels over time. Optimizing mobility is often a great sign for residents' health.
In Fairhaven, 0.99 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Fairhaven, 30.15 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Fairhaven, 8.9 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to assess the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Fairhaven, 73.77% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percentage of short-term stay residents who experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Sykesville, MD
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Sykesville, Maryland has 3 other nursing homes
- Northwest Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.05 miles away5401 Old Court Road Randallstown Maryland 21133Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 521-2200
- Howard County General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.02 miles away5755 Cedar Lane Columbia Maryland 21044Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 740-7890
- Carroll Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.58 miles away200 Memorial Avenue Westminster Maryland 21157Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 848-3000
- Medstar Montgomery Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 16.19 miles away18101 Prince Philip Drive Olney Maryland 20832Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 774-8882
- Sinai Hospital of BaltimoreAcute Care Hospitals 16.44 miles away2401 West Belvedere Avenue Baltimore Maryland 21215Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 601-5131
- Saint Agnes HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.38 miles away900 Caton Avenue Baltimore Maryland 21229Voluntary non-profit - Church(410) 368-2101
- Bon Secours HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.08 miles away2000 W Baltimore Street Baltimore Maryland 21223Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 362-3000
- Greater Baltimore Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 18.28 miles away6701 North Charles Street Towson Maryland 21204Voluntary non-profit - Private(443) 849-2000
- Davita - Owings Mills8.6 miles away11221 Dolfield Blvd Owings Mills Maryland 21117Dialysis Stations: 25 (410) 363-2019
- Fresenius Medical Care Randallstown LLC9.13 miles away9109 Liberty Rd Randallstown Maryland 21133Dialysis Stations: 12 (410) 655-1076
- Baltimore County Dialysis Facility9.3 miles away3689 a Offutt Road Randallstown Maryland 21133CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (410) 922-2475
- Davita-Ellicott Kidney Center LLC9.9 miles away3000 N Ridge Rd Ellicott City Maryland 21043Dialysis Stations: 7 (410) 465-0273
- Ellicott City Dialysis Center LLC9.94 miles away3419 Plum Tree Drive Suites 103-106 Ellicott City Maryland 21042CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (410) 750-8426
- Davita Ridge Road Dialysis10 miles away530 E Ridgeville Blvd Mount Airy Maryland 21771Dialysis Stations: 13 (301) 829-5162
- Davita - Windsor Dialysis11.08 miles away2707 Rolling Rd Stes 104-105 Windsor Mill Maryland 21244CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (410) 944-2649
- Kidney Home Center11.72 miles away2270 Rolling Run Drive Suite 600 Windsor Mill Maryland 21244Dialysis Stations: 21 (410) 265-0618