Extended Care Hospital of Riverside is in the large metropolitan area of Riverside, California. This nursing home was awarded an overall grade of B, which is a quality grade. Based on our assessment, this nursing home ought to meet the needs of most people. Fortunately, this place did not have any weak links in any of the major categories. Additional information about these categories can be found below.
Extended Care Hospital of Riverside
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
On top of receiving a solid overall grade, this facility also received impressive inspections in recent years. We awarded them one of our better scores in this area, with a grade of B+. Arguably the most critical factor we consider in determining our inspection grades is deficiencies. These deficiencies can be found on a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes with higher scores in this area typically dodged the more severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. Fortunately, although this facility had a few minor dings on its report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means the government inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. We should point out that deficiency-free inspections are uncommon in the industry.
Short-term Care Quality
Contributing to its profile, this facility also earned a grade of B+ for its short-term care rating. This is an above average grade in this area. In the category of short-term care, we seek to evaluate indicators of a facility's rehabilitation services. We assess a nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses and various therapists. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that this nursing home submitted information about its staffing of registered nurses or physical therapists. Finally, we considered the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 6.4 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Extended Care Hospital of Riverside?
Another strong feature for this facility is that it received an impressive nursing grade. In that area, we awarded this facility a grade of B. There are a host of criteria within this grade. Many of the datapoints relate to the quantity of nurse staffing. This facility provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well in the area of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
Switching gears to our final area, this facility received an acceptable long-term care grade of B-. For prospective residents looking for a permanent place to live rather than rehabilitation, long-term care is an important category. One of the data points we considered in addition to nursing hours is vaccinations. Fortunately, this nursing home administered the pneumonia vaccination to 100 percent of its residents. This facility keeps its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Extended Care Hospital of Riverside Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Extended Care Hospital of Riverside, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric is is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents who are suffering from new or worsened pressure ulcers. We've found that pressure ulcers are an indicator of the quality of nursing care a nursing home provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Extended Care Hospital of Riverside, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients that have had a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injury are considered to be a barometer of nursing care . Major falls are often the result of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Extended Care Hospital of Riverside, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of patients that have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely associated with worse hygiene protocols. Additional nurse staffing can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. We want to point out that this metric is affected by by the fact that facilities have incongruent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Extended Care Hospital of Riverside, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications may be helpful for many residents, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Extended Care Hospital of Riverside, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure measures the percentage of long-term stay residents taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Extended Care Hospital of Riverside, 4.33% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who are exhibiting symptoms of depression. Increased levels of depression could imply lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Extended Care Hospital of Riverside, 95.72% of Patients
This is the percent of patients who have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Extended Care Hospital of Riverside, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term residents that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and continence. Some believe this is a reasonable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Extended Care Hospital of Riverside, 14.05% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percent of long-term patients that were able to retain mobility. Many believe that the ability to move around is vital to patients mental and physical health.
In Extended Care Hospital of Riverside, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. There is typically a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Extended Care Hospital of Riverside, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Extended Care Hospital of Riverside, 9.85 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Extended Care Hospital of Riverside, 79.63% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term residents who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Higher levels of autonomy with activities of daily living typically correlates with superior rehabilitation services.
Scores for Riverside, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Riverside, California has 18 other nursing homes
- Doctors Hospital of RiversideAcute Care Hospitals 1.19 miles away3865 Jackson Street Riverside California 92503Voluntary non-profit - Private(951) 688-2211
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital, RiversideAcute Care Hospitals 3.36 miles away10800 Magnolia Avenue Riverside California 92505Voluntary non-profit - Other(951) 353-2000
- Riverside Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.67 miles away4445 Magnolia Avenue Riverside California 92501Proprietary(951) 788-3000
- Corona Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.23 miles away800 South Main Street Corona California 92882Proprietary(951) 737-4343
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital FontanaAcute Care Hospitals 9.56 miles away9961 Sierra Ave Fontana California 92335Voluntary non-profit - Private(909) 427-5500
- Arrowhead Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.27 miles away400 North Pepper Avenue Colton California 92324Government - Local(909) 580-1000
- Loma Linda University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.03 miles away11234 Anderson St Loma Linda California 92354Voluntary non-profit - Private(909) 558-4000
- Riverside University Health System-Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.11 miles away26520 Cactus Avenue Moreno Valley California 92555Government - Local(951) 486-4000
- Van Buren Dialysis1.7 miles away3595 Van Buren Blvd., Suite 101 Riverside California 92503CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (951) 977-9466
- Davita-Riverside Pd Central3.53 miles away3660 Park Sierra, Suite 108 Riverside California 92505Dialysis Stations: 11 (951) 687-3900
- Davita-Magnolia West at Home3.54 miles away3660 Park Sierra Drive, Suite 103 Riverside California 92505Dialysis Stations: 2 (951) 373-4004
- Davita-Jurupa Valley Dialysis3.69 miles away8080 Limonite Avenue Riverside California 92509Dialysis Stations: 25 (951) 361-9405
- Fmc-Riverside3.82 miles away3470 La Sierra Avenue, Suite E Riverside California 92503CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (951) 343-7700
- Davita-Magnolia West Dialysis3.87 miles away11161 Magnolia Avenue Riverside California 92505CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (951) 351-8090
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital Medical Ctr.- Riverside4.18 miles awayPeritoneal Dialysis Unit, 10800 Magnolia Avenue, Module 1x Riverside California 92505Dialysis Stations: 4 (951) 353-4887
- Davita-Riverside Dialysis Center5.42 miles away4361 Latham Street, Suite 100 Riverside California 92501CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (951) 682-2700