Extended Care Hospital of Riverside is in the large metropolitan area of Riverside, California. This nursing home was awarded an overall grade of B, which is a quality grade. Based on our assessment, this nursing home ought to meet the needs of most people. Fortunately, this place did not have any weak links in any of the major categories. Additional information about these categories can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Extended Care Hospital of Riverside
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Riverside senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
On top of receiving a solid overall grade, this facility also received impressive inspections in recent years. We awarded them one of our better scores in this area, with a grade of B+. Arguably the most critical factor we consider in determining our inspection grades is deficiencies. These deficiencies can be found on a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes with higher scores in this area typically dodged the more severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. Fortunately, although this facility had a few minor dings on its report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means the government inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. We should point out that deficiency-free inspections are uncommon in the industry.
Short-term Care Quality
Contributing to its profile, this facility also earned a grade of B+ for its short-term care rating. This is an above average grade in this area. In the category of short-term care, we seek to evaluate indicators of a facility's rehabilitation services. We assess a nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses and various therapists. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that this nursing home submitted information about its staffing of registered nurses or physical therapists. Finally, we considered the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 6.3 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Extended Care Hospital of Riverside?
Long-term Care Quality
The next area we assessed is long-term care. This facility was awarded a favorable long-term care grade, with a B in this area. When nursing homes receive this type of score in long-term care it is a good sign for resident care and indicates that the nursing home is well-staffed with nurses aids. In addition to assessing the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility provided the vaccine to 100 percent of its residents. Vaccines are vital to keeping patients healthy. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Our next area is nursing, in which we gave this facility a grade of C in that area. In calculating a nursing home's nursing rating, we assess the number of hours nurses spend with patients as well as the level of licensure of the nurses. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this nursing home surprisingly excelled in some of the quality measures we looked at. In fact, it performed well in terms of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. Many consider these areas to be measures of the quality of nursing care. In many cases, the quality of nursing care is every bit as important as the number of hours of care offered.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Extended Care Hospital of Riverside Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Extended Care Hospital of Riverside, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a barometer of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are routinely caused by patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Extended Care Hospital of Riverside, 1.84% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients that suffered from a fall which resulted in serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Extended Care Hospital of Riverside, 1.34% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are routinely associated with poor nursing care. Nevertheless, this datapoint can be skewed for certain nursing homes due to different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Extended Care Hospital of Riverside, 10.3% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents given antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many residents, it is important to confirm these medications are being used appropriately. In limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Extended Care Hospital of Riverside, 13.84% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of residents given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are administered to residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Extended Care Hospital of Riverside, 5.83% of Patients
This is the percent of patients exhibiting symptoms of depression. Higher rates of depression could imply worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Extended Care Hospital of Riverside, 95.65% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients that were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Extended Care Hospital of Riverside, 8.26% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and eating. Some would argue that this is a reliable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Extended Care Hospital of Riverside, 10.41% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care residents that remained mobile levels. Some experts argue that mobility is important for patients physical and mental health.
In Extended Care Hospital of Riverside, 1.78 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Extended Care Hospital of Riverside, 10.41 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. Avoiding rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Extended Care Hospital of Riverside, 11.34 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Extended Care Hospital of Riverside, 79.12% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of short-term care residents who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some would argue this is a measure of rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Riverside, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Riverside, California has 11 other nursing homes
- Doctors Hospital of RiversideAcute Care Hospitals 1.19 miles away3865 Jackson Street Riverside California 92503Voluntary non-profit - Private(951) 688-2211
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital, RiversideAcute Care Hospitals 3.36 miles away10800 Magnolia Avenue Riverside California 92505Voluntary non-profit - Other(951) 353-2000
- Riverside Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.67 miles away4445 Magnolia Avenue Riverside California 92501Proprietary(951) 788-3000
- Corona Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.23 miles away800 South Main Street Corona California 92882Proprietary(951) 737-4343
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital FontanaAcute Care Hospitals 9.56 miles away9961 Sierra Ave Fontana California 92335Voluntary non-profit - Private(909) 427-5500
- Arrowhead Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.27 miles away400 North Pepper Avenue Colton California 92324Government - Local(909) 580-1000
- Loma Linda University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.03 miles away11234 Anderson St Loma Linda California 92354Voluntary non-profit - Private(909) 558-4000
- Riverside University Health System-Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.11 miles away26520 Cactus Avenue Moreno Valley California 92555Government - Local(951) 486-4000
- Van Buren Dialysis1.7 miles away3595 Van Buren Blvd., Suite 101 Riverside California 92503CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (951) 977-9466
- Davita-Riverside Pd Central3.53 miles away3660 Park Sierra, Suite 108 Riverside California 92505Dialysis Stations: 11 (951) 687-3900
- Davita-Magnolia West at Home3.54 miles away3660 Park Sierra Drive, Suite 103 Riverside California 92505Dialysis Stations: 2 (951) 373-4004
- Davita-Jurupa Valley Dialysis3.69 miles away8080 Limonite Avenue Riverside California 92509Dialysis Stations: 25 (951) 361-9405
- Fmc-Riverside3.82 miles away3470 La Sierra Avenue, Suite E Riverside California 92503CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (951) 343-7700
- Davita-Magnolia West Dialysis3.87 miles away11161 Magnolia Avenue Riverside California 92505CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (951) 351-8090
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital Medical Ctr.- Riverside4.18 miles awayPeritoneal Dialysis Unit, 10800 Magnolia Avenue, Module 1x Riverside California 92505Dialysis Stations: 4 (951) 353-4887
- Davita-Riverside Dialysis Center5.42 miles away4361 Latham Street, Suite 100 Riverside California 92501CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (951) 682-2700