Extended Care Hosp Westminster is an average-sized nursing home located in Westminster, California. Featuring an overall score of B-, this is a middle of the pack nursing home. This facility seems to have some things working in its favor. One of the highlights of this facility's profile is its impressive inspection grade, which you can find in the next paragraph.
Extended Care Hosp Westminster
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
206 Hospital Circle,
Westminster CA 92683
92.02% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Catheter Care
Registered Staff Hours
To pair with its decent overall score, we gave this nursing home a grade of A- for its inspection grade. This grade is far better than its overall rating. Inspection ratings are based on datapoints found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities that excel in this area typically have very few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these nursing homes should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. While this nursing home had a few minor dings on its government inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones labeled as categories G through L. This tells you that CMS didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home also performed well in the category of long-term care, where we gave it a grade of A-. Not many nursing homes performed better in this area. When facilities receive a score in this range in this category it generally means it has plenty of staff and is a quality place to reside on a permanent basis. On top of considering the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home administered the vaccine to 98.79154 percent of its residents, which is significantly higher than the majority of nursing homes. Finally, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Extended Care Hosp Westminster?
The next highest grade we gave this nursing home in any area came in the category of nursing, where we gave it a grade of B-. When calculating our nursing scores, we factor in both the number of hours nurses spend with residents and the levels of licensure of those nurses. This facility provided just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This figure is far below the national average. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this facility excelled in some of the quality measures we assessed. In fact, it performed well when it comes to minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. Many consider these areas to be reliable measures of the quality of nursing care. In some cases, the quality of nursing care is as important as the quantity of hours of care provided.
Short-term Care Quality
Switching gears to the last category, we awarded this nursing home a grade of D for short-term care. This is the nursing home's least impressive category rating. Unfortunately, this score hurt the facility's overall profile to a certain degree. In calculating our short-term care scores, we assess the facility's levels of skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists speech therapists and other licensed professionals. This grade is often a fair measure of a facility's ability to rehabilitate patients. It looks like this place was below average in terms of its quantity of registered nurse and physical therapy hours offered to its residents based on the measures we considered. Lastly, we considered the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. This definitely wasn't a strength for this nursing home. We found that just 0 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home. At most facilities, about half of their patients are able to return home so this is well below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Extended Care Hosp Westminster Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Extended Care Hosp Westminster, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric indicates the percentage of long-term stay residents that suffer from pressure ulcers . We use this statistic in calculating our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Extended Care Hosp Westminster, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents that suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injuries are routinely associated with poor nursing care. Closer supervision can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Extended Care Hosp Westminster, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients that have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many experts to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are routinely the result of a facility with lower levels of hygiene. Nevertheless, this statistic can be misleading for some nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Extended Care Hosp Westminster, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of residents prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are administered to residents for many medical conditions, such as dementia. Sadly, in limited situations, excessive reliance on these medications may mean a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Extended Care Hosp Westminster, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint indicates the percentage of long-term stay residents which are administered antianxiety medication. These drugs are prescribed to residents suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Extended Care Hosp Westminster, 4.64% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Extended Care Hosp Westminster, 95.44% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care patients who have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for seniors, making these vaccines vital to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Extended Care Hosp Westminster, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living may be a sign of the decline of a patient's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Extended Care Hosp Westminster, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients that retained mobility levels.
In Extended Care Hosp Westminster, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital is critical to maintaining the physical health of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Extended Care Hosp Westminster, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the health of patients.
- Huntington Beach HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.06 miles away17772 Beach Blvd Huntington Beach California 92647Proprietary(714) 843-5000
- West Anaheim Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.31 miles away3033 W Orange Avenue Anaheim California 92804Proprietary(714) 827-3000
- Fountain Valley Regional Hospital & Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.69 miles away17100 Euclid Street Fountain Valley California 92708Proprietary(714) 966-7200
- Garden Grove Hospital & Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.71 miles away12601 Garden Grove Blvd Garden Grove California 92843Proprietary(714) 537-5160
- Memorialcare Orange Coast Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.79 miles away9920 Talbert Avenue Fountain Valley California 92708Proprietary(714) 378-7406
- Los Alamitos Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.1 miles away3751 Katella Avenue Los Alamitos California 90720Proprietary(562) 799-3220
- University of California Irvine Med CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.86 miles away101 City Drive South Orange California 92868Government - Local(714) 456-6112
- Ahmc Anaheim Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.74 miles away1111 W La Palma Avenue Anaheim California 92801Voluntary non-profit - Private(714) 774-1450
- Fmc-Rai-Hospital Circle-Westminster0.06 miles away290 Hospital Circle Westminster California 92683CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (714) 895-3698
- Davita-Westminster South Dialysis1.31 miles away14014 Magnolia St. Westminster California 92683CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (714) 894-8712
- Fmc-Rai-Goldenwest-Westminster1.69 miles away15330 Goldenwest Street Westminster California 92683CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (714) 373-1543
- Fmc-Rai-Garden Grove Blvd.-Garden Grove3.01 miles away12555 Garden Grove Blvd., Suite 100 Garden Grove California 92843Dialysis Stations: 13 (714) 741-7255
- Fmc-Huntington Beach4.02 miles away17762 Beach Blvd, Ste 120 Huntington Beach California 92647Dialysis Stations: 25 (714) 848-0021
- Davita-Huntington Beach Dialysis4.07 miles away16892 Bolsa Chica Avenue, Suite 100 Huntington Beach California 92649Dialysis Stations: 10 (714) 846-2102
- Fmc-Rai-Newhope-Fountain Valley4.41 miles away17197 Newhope Street, Suite a, B, C & D Fountain Valley California 92708CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (714) 241-0196
- Davita-Garden Grove Harbor Dialysis4.42 miles away13054 North Harbor Blvd. Garden Grove California 92843CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (714) 539-3395