Excell Health Care Center is an average-sized facility in Oakland, California. This proved to be a decent facility, with an overall grade of B-. Based on our assessment, this place has some redeeming qualities. One of the best aspects of this nursing home's report card is its stellar inspection reports, which you can find in the next section.
Excell Health Care Center
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
3025 High Street,
Oakland CA 94619
91.61% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a respectable facility overall, this place also excelled in the category of inspections, where it received an A. Few nursing homes performed better in this area. Arguably the most significant factor we consider in determining our inspection ratings is deficiencies. Deficiencies are found on a facility's inspection reports. Places with higher grades in this category typically avoided the most severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. Fortunately, although this facility had a few minor dings on its inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you that CMS didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home also received an impressive long-term care score. In fact, we awarded them a B+ in that area, which happens to be one of our more favorable scores. When nursing homes receive a grade in this range in this category it generally means it has plenty of staff and is an overall good place to live on a permanent basis. On top of assessing the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home administered the vaccine to 100 percent of its residents. Vaccines are vital to keeping residents out of the hospital. Finally, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Excell Health Care Center?
One of this facility's better category grades was in the area of nursing care. In that area, we gave this facility a grade of B-. We analyzed the licensure of nurses working for the nursing home, as well as the quantity of time the nurses spent with residents, in calculating our grade in this category. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures. Although this place got docked a bit for nursing hours, it actually excelled in a few of these quality metrics. With less than five percent of its residents suffering from pressure ulcers, it performed very well in this metric. This is typically an indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can often be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as by having a system of turning residents more frequently.
Short-term Care Quality
Moving on to our fourth category, we awarded this facility a grade of D in short-term care. This is the nursing home's least impressive category score. Of course, this category pulled down the nursing home's overall grade to some degree. In computing our short-term care scores, we analyze the nursing home's levels of skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists speech therapists and other highly skilled individuals. This grade is considered to be a solid assessment of the nursing home's ability to rehabilitate patients. In this nursing home's case, we found that it provides less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the average facility. Finally, we considered the percentage of patients who returned home from this facility. This nursing home didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 4.6 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home. This figure was well off the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Excell Health Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Excell Health Care Center, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage due to remaining in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Excell Health Care Center, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents that suffered from a fall resulting in major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Excell Health Care Center, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who have experienced a UTI. UTI's may be a sign of a facility with lower levels of hygiene. Nevertheless, this metric may also be misleading for certain facilities due to varying reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Excell Health Care Center, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are prescribed to residents for many medical conditions, such as cognitive disorders. Unfortunately, in some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Excell Health Care Center, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic measures the percent of long-term patients that are administered antianxiety medication. These medications are generally given to residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Excell Health Care Center, 4.64% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Excell Health Care Center, 95.44% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay patients that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home residents, making these vaccines indispensable.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Excell Health Care Center, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's could be a sign of the deterioration of a patient's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Excell Health Care Center, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of residents that were able to retain mobility over time. Preserving mobility is usually a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Excell Health Care Center, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Excell Health Care Center, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between staying out of the hospital and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Excell Health Care Center, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to measure patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Excell Health Care Center, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percentage of short-term stay residents that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Some would argue this is a reasonable measure of rehabilitation services.
Scores for Oakland, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Oakland, California has 16 other nursing homes
- Highland HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.99 miles away1411 East 31st Street Oakland California 94602Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 437-4800
- Alameda HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.23 miles away2070 Clinton Avenue Alameda California 94501Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 522-3700
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - Oakland/RichmondAcute Care Hospitals 4.19 miles away275 West Macarthur Boulevard Oakland California 94611Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 752-1000
- Alta Bates Summit Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.29 miles away350 Hawthorne Avenue Oakland California 94609Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 655-4000
- Children's Hospital & Research Center OaklandChildrens 5.24 miles away747 52nd Street Oakland California 94609Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 428-3000
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - San LeandroAcute Care Hospitals 5.71 miles away2500 Merced Street San Leandro California 94577Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 454-1000
- San Leandro HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.86 miles away13855 E 14th Street San Leandro California 94578Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 357-6500
- Alta Bates Summit Medical Center - Alta Bates CampAcute Care Hospitals 5.94 miles away2450 Ashby Avenue Berkeley California 94705Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 204-4444
- Alameda County Dialysis Center1.14 miles away10700 Macarthur Blvd. Building 7 Oakland California 94605CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 568-5849
- Rai - East Bay - Oakland1.56 miles away2628 International Blvd, Ste 100 Oakland California 94601CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (510) 261-8219
- Rai Bancroft3.71 miles away6955 Foothill Blvd. Ste 220 Oakland California 94605Dialysis Stations: 26 (510) 553-1333
- Rai E. 14th4 miles away198 East 14th St San Leandro California 94577Dialysis Stations: 21 (510) 430-8311
- Rai Peralta4.36 miles away2757 Telegraph Avenue Oakland California 94612CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (510) 835-0154
- Satellite Dialysis Oakland4.47 miles away3330 Telegraph Ave Oakland California 94609CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (510) 433-8340
- Satellite Dialysis San Leandro4.8 miles away801 Davis Street San Leandro California 94577CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (510) 352-4011
- Rai Piedmont5.03 miles away2710 Telegraph Avenue Suite #100 Oakland California 94612CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (510) 286-9948