Excel Care Center is an average-sized nursing home located in Tampa, Florida. This turns out to be a solid facility, with an overall grade of B-. Even in a city of 18 other nursing homes, this one turns out to be a respectable selection. This facility is stronger in some categories than others, but it didn't have any weak links in any of our major categories discussed below. More information about these categories can be found below.
Excel Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
This facility's long-term care score outpaced its overall grade. We awarded it a grade of B for its long-term care score. When facilities receive this kind of score in this category it is typically a good sign for patient care and indicates that the facility is well-staffed with nurses and aids. On top of assessing the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its patients, which is much higher than most nursing homes. Finally, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Short-term Care Quality
We also gave this nursing home a favorable grade in short-term care. This facility received a grade of B in this area, which is one of our higher scores. Our short-term care scores are presumably more important for folks requiring rehabilitation from their nursing home. Rehabilitation usually utilizes higher levels of skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes not only nursing services, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other forms of therapy. Unfortunately, it does not appear that this nursing home submitted registered nurse or physical therapist staffing data. Lastly, we looked at the percentage of residents who ultimately returned home from this nursing home. We found that 5.7 percent of this nursing home's patients were able to return home.
Does this page answer your questions about Excel Care Center?
This facility's inspection score also was quite a bit better than its overall grade. Due to a strong inspection report this year, it received one of our better scores in that category with a grade of B. Arguably the most important factor we consider in computing our inspection grades is deficiencies. Deficiencies can be found on a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities with better scores in this area most likely dodged the most severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. This facility was hit with 9 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe. This tells you that CMS did not deem any of these deficiencies to be an immediate risk to patient health or safety. A few minor dings are not necessarily the end of the world.
Turning to our next category, this facility was given a grade of C for nursing, which we consider to be a respectable score. Our nursing category weighs several subcategories, many of which are tied to nursing hours. This place averages just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident on a daily basis, which is well below average. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this place excelled in some of the quality measures we assessed. In fact, it scored well in terms of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be indicators of the quality of nursing care. In some cases, the quality of nursing care is every bit as important as the number of hours of care provided.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Excel Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Excel Care Center, 9.08% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin due to staying in one position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Excel Care Center, 2.82% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents that sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injury are often caused by poor nursing care. Additional nurse staffing can limit the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Excel Care Center, 1.81% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes associated with poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Excel Care Center, 10.64% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure indicates the percent of long-term residents that are prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Excessive reliance on these medications may indicate a facility is using these medications to subdue residents in situations where such drugs are not medically indicated. Nevertheless, some nursing homes may need to rely on these medications due to an increased number of patients with cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Excel Care Center, 21.27% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric measures the percent of long-term patients receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Excel Care Center, 2.33% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care patients who are showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Excel Care Center, 94.94% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Excel Care Center, 13.07% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living may indicate deterioration of a patient's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Excel Care Center, 16.78% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of patients that maintained mobility over time. Retaining mobility is often a great sign for residents' health.
In Excel Care Center, 1.76 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Excel Care Center, 16.78 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Excel Care Center, 9.16 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to gauge patient well-being during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Excel Care Center, 78.49% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percent of short-term stay patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some believe that this is a measure of a facility's rehabilitation services.
Scores for Tampa, FL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Tampa, Florida has 17 other nursing homes
- Adventhealth TampaAcute Care Hospitals 0.65 miles away3100 E Fletcher Ave Tampa Florida 33613Voluntary non-profit - Private(813) 615-7200
- Adventhealth CarrollwoodAcute Care Hospitals 5.86 miles away7171 N Dale Mabry Hwy Tampa Florida 33614Voluntary non-profit - Church(813) 932-2222
- Tampa General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.73 miles away1 Tampa General Cir Tampa Florida 33606Voluntary non-profit - Private(813) 844-7000
- Memorial Hospital of TampaAcute Care Hospitals 9.39 miles away2901 W Swann Ave Tampa Florida 33609Proprietary(813) 873-6400
- Adventhealth Wesley ChapelAcute Care Hospitals 10.37 miles away2600 Bruce B Downs Blvd Wesley Chapel Florida 33544Voluntary non-profit - Private(813) 929-5490
- North Tampa Behavioral HealthPsychiatric 11.76 miles away29910 Sr 56 Wesley Chapel Florida 33543Voluntary non-profit - Private(813) 333-0000
- Brandon Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.95 miles away119 Oakfield Dr Brandon Florida 33511Proprietary(813) 681-5551
- Medical Center of TrinityAcute Care Hospitals 17.2 miles away9330 Sr 54, Ste 401 New Port Richey Florida 34655Proprietary(727) 834-4900
- Usf Dialysis Center1.37 miles away10770 N 46th Street #a100 Tampa Florida 33617CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (813) 632-7918
- Temple Terrace Dialysis1.99 miles away11306 53rd St Tampa Florida 33617CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (813) 989-2062
- Renal Care Group - North Tampa3.35 miles away12674 Telecom Drive Tampa Florida 33637Dialysis Stations: 24 (813) 971-7580
- Fmc - Ybor City4.52 miles away2525 E. Hillsborough Ave Suite 209 Tampa Florida 33610CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (813) 231-6859
- Carrollwood Dialysis5 miles away14358 N Dale Mabry Hwy Tampa Florida 33618CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (813) 960-3751
- Dsi North Tampa Dialysis5.28 miles away3421 North Lakeview Drive Tampa Florida 33618Dialysis Stations: 17 (813) 261-1864
- Carrollwood Artificial Kidney Center5.7 miles away4553 Gunn Hwy Westwood Plaza Tampa Florida 33624CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (813) 265-9733
- Dsi - Tampa Central6.14 miles away4705 N Armenia Ave Tampa Florida 33603CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (813) 353-8100