Excel Care Center is one of eight available facilities in Tampa, Florida. This nursing home proved to be a very solid facility, with an overall grade of B. This place definitely has plenty working in its favor. This place was stronger in some categories than others, but it didn't have any weak links in any of our four major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Excel Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Tampa senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
In addition to being a quality facility overall, this nursing home excelled in the category of short-term care, where it received an impressive grade of A-. Few nursing homes fared better in this area. In calculating our short-term care scores, we size up the nursing home's levels of highly skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists speech therapists and other types of therapists. This rating is more often than not a solid assessment of the facility's rehabilitation. Unfortunately, we weren't able to track down information about this nursing home's registered nurse or physical therapy staffing. Finally, we assessed the percentage of patients that ultimately returned home from this facility. We found that 5.7 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home.
Adding to its quality profile, this nursing home also earned favorable inspections in recent years. We gave them one of our better scores in that category, with a B. Inspection scores are tied to many datapoints located in the a nursing home's inspections. Places that receive favorable grades in this category tend to have very few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these nursing homes should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. This place was assessed 9 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none were considered to be severe deficiencies. This tells you that the government inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies to pose an imminent risk to resident health or safety. We should point out that deficiency-free inspections are rare in the industry.
Does this page answer your questions about Excel Care Center?
Long-term Care Quality
The third area we assessed was long-term care. This nursing home was given an impressive long-term care score, with a grade of B in the category. Facilities that receive this kind of score in long-term care typically provide consistent around the clock care to make sure patients are kept in good health. Once we concluded our assessment of the quantity of nursing care, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination record. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which is an impressive figure. Pneumonia tragically can be a life threatening health condition for nursing home residents so we prefer when a facility doesn't roll the dice on this issue. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.05 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
The next category we graded is nursing. This nursing home was given a B- in this area. We assessed the licensure of nurses working for the facility, as well as the quantity of hours the nurses were with patients, in computing our score in this category. This facility provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a relatively low total compared to most other facilities. Finally, while this place got docked a bit for nursing hours, it actually excelled in a few of our quality-based measures. With less than five percent of its residents suffering from pressure ulcers, it fared well in this statistic.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Excel Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Excel Care Center, 9.19% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are routinely the result of residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Excel Care Center, 2.87% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents that have had a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injuries are considered to be a measure of nursing care at a nursing home. Falls which result in injury are often the result of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Excel Care Center, 1.78% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients who have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often linked to facilities with lower levels of hygiene. Closer supervision limits the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. We want to point out that this statistic is affected by by the fact that nursing homes have different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Excel Care Center, 10.42% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of residents who were given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are given to residents for many medical conditions, such as cognitive disorders. Tragically, in some cases, increased usage of these drugs may suggest that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Excel Care Center, 21.31% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is an indication of the percent of long-term care residents receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Excel Care Center, 2.53% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who are exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Excel Care Center, 95.81% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Excel Care Center, 12.69% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living may indicate the erosion of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Excel Care Center, 14.03% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of residents who retained mobility levels over time. Preserving mobility is usually a great sign for residents' health.
In Excel Care Center, 2.07 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Excel Care Center, 14.03 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between staying out of the hospital and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Excel Care Center, 9.64 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to gauge short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Excel Care Center, 77.72% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term stay patients who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Tampa, FL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Tampa, Florida has 7 other nursing homes
- Adventhealth TampaAcute Care Hospitals 0.65 miles away3100 E Fletcher Ave Tampa Florida 33613Voluntary non-profit - Private(813) 615-7200
- Adventhealth CarrollwoodAcute Care Hospitals 5.86 miles away7171 N Dale Mabry Hwy Tampa Florida 33614Voluntary non-profit - Church(813) 932-2222
- Tampa General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.73 miles away1 Tampa General Cir Tampa Florida 33606Voluntary non-profit - Private(813) 844-7000
- Memorial Hospital of TampaAcute Care Hospitals 9.39 miles away2901 W Swann Ave Tampa Florida 33609Proprietary(813) 873-6400
- Adventhealth Wesley ChapelAcute Care Hospitals 10.37 miles away2600 Bruce B Downs Blvd Wesley Chapel Florida 33544Voluntary non-profit - Private(813) 929-5490
- North Tampa Behavioral HealthPsychiatric 11.76 miles away29910 Sr 56 Wesley Chapel Florida 33543Voluntary non-profit - Private(813) 333-0000
- Brandon Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.95 miles away119 Oakfield Dr Brandon Florida 33511Proprietary(813) 681-5551
- Medical Center of TrinityAcute Care Hospitals 17.2 miles away9330 Sr 54, Ste 401 New Port Richey Florida 34655Proprietary(727) 834-4900
- Usf Dialysis Center1.37 miles away10770 N 46th Street #a100 Tampa Florida 33617CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (813) 632-7918
- Temple Terrace Dialysis1.99 miles away11306 53rd St Tampa Florida 33617CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (813) 989-2062
- Renal Care Group - North Tampa3.35 miles away12674 Telecom Drive Tampa Florida 33637Dialysis Stations: 24 (813) 971-7580
- Fmc - Ybor City4.52 miles away2525 E. Hillsborough Ave Suite 209 Tampa Florida 33610CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (813) 231-6859
- Carrollwood Dialysis5 miles away14358 N Dale Mabry Hwy Tampa Florida 33618CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (813) 960-3751
- Dsi North Tampa Dialysis5.28 miles away3421 North Lakeview Drive Tampa Florida 33618Dialysis Stations: 17 (813) 261-1864
- Carrollwood Artificial Kidney Center5.7 miles away4553 Gunn Hwy Westwood Plaza Tampa Florida 33624CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (813) 265-9733
- Dsi - Tampa Central6.14 miles away4705 N Armenia Ave Tampa Florida 33603CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (813) 353-8100