With an address in Woodbury, New York, Excel at Woodbury for Rehab and Nursing is one of a mere three available facilities in the city. This proved to be a quality facility, with an overall grade of B+. This place definitely has plenty of good features. This nursing home's impressive report card was highlighted by its inspection reports, which you can find in the next section.
Excel at Woodbury for Rehab and Nursing
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Best Nursing Home in Woodbury, New York Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A+ for our inspections rating. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in calculating our inspection ratings. One key factor is deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of these deficiencies is arguably more important than the number of deficiencies, as some can be relatively minor. This facility was assessed 3 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none were considered to be severe deficiencies. This means that CMS did not consider any of the deficiencies to be an immediate risk to resident health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
Another one of this nursing home's quality category grades came in the area of short-term care. We awarded them one of our stronger scores in that area, with a score of B+. In the category of short-term care, we strive to evaluate indicators of a nursing home's rehabilitation. We assess a facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses and various therapists. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last datapoint we looked at in this category is the percentage of patients who ultimately returned home from the nursing home. We found that 5.8 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Does this page answer your questions about Excel at Woodbury for Rehab and Nursing?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home also was given a favorable long-term care score. In fact, we awarded it an above average grade of B+ in this category. Nursing homes that do well in this category typically provide patients with better supervision and stay on top of routine healthcare services. On top of assessing the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility provided the vaccine to 96.860985 percent of its residents, which is an impressive figure. Pneumonia tragically can be a life or death ailment for nursing home residents so we strongly prefer when a nursing home does not leave its residents vulnerable. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. It had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
The last area we rated proved to be this facility's poorest area. However, even in its worst category we still awarded it an acceptable grade of B- in our nursing category. The nursing rating weighs many factors. The most heavily weighted variable is the amount of time nurses spend with residents. This facility provides only 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident on a daily basis. This is a somewhat concerning figure as it is well below the national average. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality-based metrics. Although this place got docked a bit for its nursing hours per resident, it actually excelled in a few of these quality-based metrics. With less than five percent of its patients sustaining pressure ulcers, it did very well in this metric. This can be a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can often be avoided by offering better nursing care, such as by having a policy of moving residents at least once a day.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Excel at Woodbury for Rehab and Nursing Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Excel at Woodbury for Rehab and Nursing, 9.58% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are often caused by patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols can minimize the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Excel at Woodbury for Rehab and Nursing, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure measures the percent of long-term stay residents that sustained a fall leading to severe injury. This is one of the statistics we use in determining our nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Excel at Woodbury for Rehab and Nursing, 2.1% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections could be associated with poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Excel at Woodbury for Rehab and Nursing, 11.59% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. These drugs are used for treating a variety of conditions, such as cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Excel at Woodbury for Rehab and Nursing, 13.3% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure measures the percent of long-term care residents taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Excel at Woodbury for Rehab and Nursing, 13.2% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care patients demonstrating symptoms of depression. Some believe this is a measure of quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Excel at Woodbury for Rehab and Nursing, 91.26% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Excel at Woodbury for Rehab and Nursing, 14.75% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Excel at Woodbury for Rehab and Nursing, 17.32% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of patients who remained mobile levels over time. Optimizing mobility can be a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Excel at Woodbury for Rehab and Nursing, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care. There is a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Excel at Woodbury for Rehab and Nursing, 17.32 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Excel at Woodbury for Rehab and Nursing, 8.8 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Excel at Woodbury for Rehab and Nursing, 75.07% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of short-term care patients that saw functional improvements.
- Plainview HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.29 miles away888 Old Country Road Plainview New York 11803Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 719-3000
- Huntington HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.74 miles away270 Park Avenue Huntington New York 11743Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 351-2000
- St Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.6 miles away4295 Hempstead Turnpike Bethpage New York 11714Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 579-6000
- Nassau University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.31 miles away2201 Hempstead Turnpike East Meadow New York 11554Government - Local(516) 572-0123
- Pilgrim Psychiatric CenterPsychiatric 8.86 miles away998 Crooked Hill Road Brentwood New York 11717Government - State(631) 761-3500
- Nyu Winthrop HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.12 miles away259 First Street Mineola New York 11501Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 663-0333
- St Francis Hospital, RoslynAcute Care Hospitals 11.19 miles away100 Port Washington Boulevard Roslyn New York 11576Voluntary non-profit - Church(516) 562-6000
- Good Samaritan Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.16 miles away1000 Montauk Highway West Islip New York 11795Voluntary non-profit - Church(631) 376-3000
- Davita Crossways Park Dialysis1.54 miles away113 Crossways Park Dr Suite 102 Woodbury New York 11797Dialysis Stations: 17 (516) 921-0914
- Davita Huntington on Broadway Dialysis3.43 miles away256 Broadway Huntington Station New York 11746CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (631) 423-4320
- New York Dialysis Services, Inc.3.43 miles away33 Walt Whitman Road Huntington Station New York 11746Dialysis Stations: 26 (631) 547-4150
- Carillon Dialysis LLC4.46 miles away830 Park Avenue Huntington New York 11743Dialysis Stations: 8 (631) 630-0398
- Huntington Hospital4.76 miles away270 Park Avenue Dialysis Unit Huntington New York 11743Dialysis Stations: 7 (631) 351-2471
- Davita Oyster Bay Dialysis4.96 miles away17 E Old Country Road Hicksville New York 11801CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (516) 681-2786
- New York Dialysis Services Inc.5.41 miles away760 South Broadway Hicksville New York 11801CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 14 (516) 827-1370
- Nyu Langone Hospitals5.92 miles away530 Hicksville Road The Dialysis Center @ Bethpage Bethpage New York 11714CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (516) 663-4980