Evergreen is a large nursing home located in Southfield, Michigan. Featuring an overall rating of C, this is likely a middle of the pack nursing home. This nursing home seems to have a few things working in its favor. You also may want to review this facility's category grades below. short-term care grades are discussed in the next paragraph.
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Lymphedema Care
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
We want to draw your attention to the fact that this facility received a far better grade for short-term care than its overall score. In fact, it received one of our highest grades in that category with an A. In calculating our short-term care scores, we look at the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. The goal is to formulate a barometer for comparing the rehabilitation services of nursing homes. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last datapoint we looked at in this area is the percentage of patients who were able to return home from the facility. We found that 6.8 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
We also gave this nursing home a decent score in the category of nursing care, with a grade of B-. Nursing grades are mostly tied to the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this place actually excelled in some of the quality measures we looked at. It performed well in terms of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. Many consider these areas to be reliable measures of the quality of nursing care. In many cases, the quality of nursing care is just as important as the quantity of hours of care offered.
Does this page answer your questions about Evergreen?
Turning to the area of health inspections, we gave this nursing home a grade of C for our inspection category. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in calculating these inspection scores. One critical factor is deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of deficiencies is usually more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some deficiencies end up being relatively insignificant. This nursing home was assessed 5 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to find that none were in any of the categories labeled G through L. This tells you inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies to create an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Unfortunately, we also need to draw your attention to the fact that this facility received significant government fines in recent years.
Long-term Care Quality
The next category we analyzed is long-term care, which was this facility's weakest area. Unfortunately, we gave it an abysmal F in this category, which is obviously very disappointing. In a long-term care environment, the primary objective is to maintain patients' quality of life and keep them safe. After assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we turned to the facility's vaccination records. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which is more than the majority of nursing homes. To our surprise, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this facility had fewer hospitalizations than many nursing homes. Sadly, some of its other scores in the category weren't as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Evergreen Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Evergreen, 8.78% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint is an indication of the percent of long-term patients who have new or worsened pressure ulcers . We consider this statistic when determining our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Evergreen, 2.9% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure is an indication of the percentage of long-term stay residents who have had falls leading to severe injury. This is one of the statistics we use in computing our nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Evergreen, 2.36% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes associated with poorer hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Evergreen, 13.11% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications may be helpful for many patients, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used appropriately. In some situations, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Evergreen, 18.81% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are given to residents suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Evergreen, 3.44% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care residents exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Evergreen, 91.43% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Evergreen, 12.1% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with ADL's could indicate deterioration of a resident's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Evergreen, 17.7% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percent of long-term stay residents who remained mobile levels.
In Evergreen, 1.47 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Minimizing hospitalizations is important to the physical well-being of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Evergreen, 17.7 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Evergreen, 10.81 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to gauge short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Evergreen, 77.3% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percent of short-term stay patients who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many in the industry would argue this is a measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Southfield, MI
- Overall Rating has a grade of D
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of F
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of C
Looking for more options? Southfield, Michigan has 4 other nursing homes
- Beaumont Hospital, Royal OakAcute Care Hospitals 2.51 miles away3601 W Thirteen Mile Rd Royal Oak Michigan 48073Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 898-5000
- Ascension Providence HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.38 miles away16001 W Nine Mile Rd Southfield Michigan 48075Voluntary non-profit - Church(248) 849-3011
- Beaumont Hospital - Farmington HillsAcute Care Hospitals 6.62 miles away28050 Grand River Avenue Farmington Michigan 48336Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 471-8000
- St Joseph Mercy OaklandAcute Care Hospitals 7.03 miles away44405 Woodward Ave Pontiac Michigan 48341Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 858-3000
- Sinai-Grace HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.34 miles away6071 W Outer Drive Detroit Michigan 48235Proprietary(313) 966-3300
- Henry Ford West Bloomfield HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.67 miles away6777 West Maple Road West Bloomfield Michigan 48322Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 325-1000
- Mclaren OaklandAcute Care Hospitals 8.8 miles away50 N Perry St Pontiac Michigan 48342Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 338-5000
- St Mary Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.78 miles away36475 Five Mile Road Livonia Michigan 48154Voluntary non-profit - Private(734) 655-4800
- Nw Detroit Dialysis - Lahser Satellite1.72 miles away25664 Lahser Road Southfield Michigan 48034CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (248) 358-7521
- Davita - Starrwood Dialysis2.78 miles away3425 Starr Rd Ste B Royal Oak Michigan 48073Dialysis Stations: 17 (248) 549-0208
- Michigan Metropolitan Dialysis, l.l.c.3.32 miles away2361 Coolidge Hwy Berkley Michigan 48072Dialysis Stations: 1 (248) 336-0336
- Southeast Michigan Kidney Center3.47 miles away1695 W 12 Mile Rd, Suite 250 Berkley Michigan 48072Dialysis Stations: 2 (248) 414-5200
- Fms Beaumont Health, LLC3.48 miles away26400 W 12 Mile Rd Ste 112 Southfield Michigan 48034CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (248) 228-8777
- Fms Beaumont Health, LLC3.48 miles away2624 11 Mile Rd Berkley Michigan 48072Dialysis Stations: 28 (248) 543-7005
- Davita Oak Park Dialysis3.68 miles away13481 W 10 Mile Rd Parkswoods Plaza Oak Park Michigan 48237Dialysis Stations: 20 (248) 582-9750
- Davita - Riverwood Dialysis3.79 miles away24465 W 10 Mile Rd Southfield Michigan 48033Dialysis Stations: 16 (248) 352-3137