Evergreen is a large nursing home located in Southfield, Michigan. This is a relatively poor facility, with an overall grade of D. Unfortunately, this grade is not too far off the city grade for Southfield, which is a C. Nevertheless, you still may be able to do better We would not blame you if you're ready to stop reading and find another facility. However, if you want to learn more about this nursing home's category grades, we will discuss short-term care in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Southfield senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Lymphedema Care
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
While we didn't rate this nursing home favorably overall, we awarded it an excellent score in our short-term care category, where it received an A-. Few nursing homes fared better in this category. This helped its overall profile to a degree. In computing our short-term care scores, we look at a facility's levels of skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists speech therapists and other highly trained professionals. This area is generally a reliable measure of a facility's ability to rehabilitate patients. Unfortunately, we were not able to locate registered nurse or physical therapy staffing data for this facility. The last datapoint we looked at in this area is the percentage of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return home. We discovered that 5.8 percent of this nursing home's patients were able to return home.
We awarded this facility a respectable grade in the area of nursing as well, with a grade of C. Our nursing rating is mostly based on the nursing home's nurse staffing. This particular nursing home provided just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident daily. This figure is far below the national average. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this nursing home excelled in some of the quality-based metrics we assessed. It performed well in terms of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls.
Does this page answer your questions about Evergreen?
This nursing home received a grade of just D in the area of inspections. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in calculating these inspection scores. One critical factor is deficiencies. We suggest you pay close attention to the severity of those deficiencies. This particular nursing home was hit with 5 deficiencies by CMS. The only positive thing we can say is that none of the deficiencies were in the categories that indicate that they posed a risk to patient safety or health. Finally, we want to point out that this nursing home received significant government fines in recent years totaling more than $100,000. This typically indicates that a nursing home's poor track record spanned several years.
Long-term Care Quality
The final category we graded was long-term care. This facility received a poor grade of F in that area. For prospective residents looking for a permanent residence rather than skilled nursing, long-term care grades are an important measure. After considering the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination statistics. This facility vaccinated 98.97698 percent of its patients against pneumonia, which is more than the average nursing home. To our surprise, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this facility had fewer hospitalizations than most nursing homes. Unfortunately, some of its other scores in this category were not as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Evergreen Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Evergreen, 12.11% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is an indication of the percent of long-term patients who have new or worsened pressure ulcers. Many experts believe that pressure ulcers are an indicator of the quality of nursing care a facility provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Evergreen, 2.81% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who experienced falls which resulted in major injury. This is one of the statistics we use in calculating our nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Evergreen, 4.17% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of patients who have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely associated with facilities with worst hygiene practices. Better nursing care minimizes the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. Keep in mind that this datapoint is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have incongruent reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Evergreen, 11.55% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure indicates the percentage of long-term residents receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used appropriately. In some cases, increased usage of these drugs may suggest that a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Evergreen, 13.9% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are administered to patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Evergreen, 7.4% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay residents demonstrating signs of depression. Many in the industry believe that this is a reasonable measure of quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Evergreen, 98.69% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Evergreen, 13.92% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term patients that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and eating. Many in the industry believe that this is a reliable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Evergreen, 22.92% of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who maintained mobility.
In Evergreen, 0.02 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Evergreen, 22.92% of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Evergreen, 8.68% of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Evergreen, 77.35% of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of short-term stay patients who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some argue this is a reliable measure of rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Southfield, MI
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of C
Looking for more options? Southfield, Michigan has 4 other nursing homes
- Beaumont Hospital, Royal OakAcute Care Hospitals 2.51 miles away3601 W Thirteen Mile Rd Royal Oak Michigan 48073Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 898-5000
- Ascension Providence HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.38 miles away16001 W Nine Mile Rd Southfield Michigan 48075Voluntary non-profit - Church(248) 849-3011
- Beaumont Hospital - Farmington HillsAcute Care Hospitals 6.62 miles away28050 Grand River Avenue Farmington Michigan 48336Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 471-8000
- St Joseph Mercy OaklandAcute Care Hospitals 7.03 miles away44405 Woodward Ave Pontiac Michigan 48341Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 858-3000
- Sinai-Grace HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.34 miles away6071 W Outer Drive Detroit Michigan 48235Proprietary(313) 966-3300
- Henry Ford West Bloomfield HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.67 miles away6777 West Maple Road West Bloomfield Michigan 48322Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 325-1000
- Mclaren OaklandAcute Care Hospitals 8.8 miles away50 N Perry St Pontiac Michigan 48342Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 338-5000
- St Mary Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.78 miles away36475 Five Mile Road Livonia Michigan 48154Voluntary non-profit - Private(734) 655-4800
- Nw Detroit Dialysis - Lahser Satellite1.72 miles away25664 Lahser Road Southfield Michigan 48034CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (248) 358-7521
- Davita - Starrwood Dialysis2.78 miles away3425 Starr Rd Ste B Royal Oak Michigan 48073Dialysis Stations: 17 (248) 549-0208
- Michigan Metropolitan Dialysis, l.l.c.3.32 miles away2361 Coolidge Hwy Berkley Michigan 48072Dialysis Stations: 1 (248) 336-0336
- Southeast Michigan Kidney Center3.47 miles away1695 W 12 Mile Rd, Suite 250 Berkley Michigan 48072Dialysis Stations: 2 (248) 414-5200
- Fms Beaumont Health, LLC3.48 miles away26400 W 12 Mile Rd Ste 112 Southfield Michigan 48034CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (248) 228-8777
- Fms Beaumont Health, LLC3.48 miles away2624 11 Mile Rd Berkley Michigan 48072Dialysis Stations: 28 (248) 543-7005
- Davita Oak Park Dialysis3.68 miles away13481 W 10 Mile Rd Parkswoods Plaza Oak Park Michigan 48237Dialysis Stations: 20 (248) 582-9750
- Davita - Riverwood Dialysis3.79 miles away24465 W 10 Mile Rd Southfield Michigan 48033Dialysis Stations: 16 (248) 352-3137