Evergreen Health Care Center is a large nursing home located in Stafford Springs, Connecticut. This nursing home was given an overall grade of B+, which is very good rating. Based on the data we reviewed, you could do much worse than this facility. This facility also received very consistent grades in all four of our categories. More information about its category grades is available below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Evergreen Health Care Center
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Stafford Springs senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Peritoneal Dialysis
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Blood Administration
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Catheter Care
- Lymphedema Care
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
To pair with a strong overall score, we gave this place an A+ for our inspection category. Inspection ratings take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can learn more about each of these items by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This particular nursing home received 4 deficiencies on its inspection report. Overall, this is still a good inspection report, but we'd always recommend looking into any deficiencies you find troubling.
Long-term Care Quality
In addition, this facility also received favorable long-term care grades this year. In fact, we awarded it one of our stronger scores in that area, with a grade of B+. Long-term care grades in this range generally require both around the clock care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine medical care. In addition to considering the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility vaccinated 68.27731 percent of its residents. This is a few points lower than we anticipated but still a decent figure. While its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we hoped for, at least this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Evergreen Health Care Center?
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to another strength for this nursing home, we awarded them one of our more positive grades in our short-term care category as well, with a grade of B. Short-term care grades are typically used to assess a facility's performance with rehabilitation To provide good rehabilitation services, facilities generally must feature higher levels of skilled nursing services. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists and other highly trained professionals. It does not look like this nursing home provided information about its staffing of registered nurses or physical therapists. Finally, we assessed the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 6.4 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
The final area we assessed is nursing. In this area, we awarded this facility an above average grade of B. The nursing category assesses several factors, many of which are based on nursing hours. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well when it comes to avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Evergreen Health Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Evergreen Health Care Center, 8.34% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are routinely the result of residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Evergreen Health Care Center, 3.61% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure tells you the percent of long-term stay patients which have suffered falls which caused major injury. We use this statistic in computing our nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Evergreen Health Care Center, 2.72% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are routinely linked to a facility with lower levels of hygiene. However, this metric could also be misleading for certain facilities due to different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Evergreen Health Care Center, 15.41% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents prescribed antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many residents, it is important to make sure these medications are being used appropriately. In limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may indicate a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Evergreen Health Care Center, 16.6% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are prescribed to residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Evergreen Health Care Center, 10.52% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who are demonstrating symptoms of depression. High rates of depression may reveal lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Evergreen Health Care Center, 87.7% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Evergreen Health Care Center, 15.48% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and continence.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Evergreen Health Care Center, 15.42% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term residents that remained mobile levels. Some experts would argue that mobility is critical to patients physical and mental health.
In Evergreen Health Care Center, 2.09 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care. There is generally a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Evergreen Health Care Center, 15.42 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Evergreen Health Care Center, 10.47 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Evergreen Health Care Center, 76.57% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of short-term stay patients that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many believe this is a reliable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation services.
- Rockville General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.38 miles away31 Union St Vernon Rockville Connecticut 06066Proprietary(860) 872-5160
- Baystate Wing Hospital and Medical CentersAcute Care Hospitals 13.63 miles away40 Wright Street Palmer Massachusetts 01069Voluntary non-profit - Other(413) 283-7651
- Mercy Medical CtrAcute Care Hospitals 13.95 miles away271 Carew Street Springfield Massachusetts 01104Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 748-9000
- Baystate Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.61 miles away759 Chestnut Street Springfield Massachusetts 01199Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 794-0000
- Manchester Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.46 miles away71 Haynes St Manchester Connecticut 06040Proprietary(860) 647-4780
- Harrington Memorial Hospital-1Acute Care Hospitals 19.19 miles away100 South Street Southbridge Massachusetts 01550Voluntary non-profit - Private(508) 765-9771
- Holyoke Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 19.34 miles away575 Beech Street Holyoke Massachusetts 01040Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 534-2500
- Palomba Drive Dialysis9.15 miles away51 Palomba Drive Enfield Connecticut 06082Dialysis Stations: 10 (860) 749-0476
- Enfield Dialysis Center9.67 miles away113 Elm Street Enfield Connecticut 06082Dialysis Stations: 13 (860) 745-9800
- Davita Vernon Dialysis Center11.39 miles away460 Hartford Turnpike Vernon Rockville Connecticut 06066CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (860) 896-1537
- East Springfield Dialysis (Bma of Massachusetts)12.52 miles away1515 State Street Springfield Massachusetts 01109CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (413) 732-1586
- Springfield Dialysis Center13.09 miles away125 Liberty Street, Suite 101 Springfield Massachusetts 01103Dialysis Stations: 16 (413) 736-9600
- Ara-Ludlow Dialysis, LLC13.25 miles away14 Chestnut Place, Suite B Ludlow Massachusetts 01056CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (413) 583-7983
- Heritage Dialysis Center, LLC13.43 miles away67 Cooper Street Agawam Massachusetts 01001Dialysis Stations: 13 (413) 786-2022
- Fmc Dialysis Services of Palmer13.59 miles away42 Wright Street Palmer Massachusetts 01069Dialysis Stations: 13 (413) 284-0700