Evergreen Health Care Center is the lone option we found in Stafford Springs, Connecticut. This facility was awarded an overall grade of B-, which is a middle of the pack score. Based on our assessment, there are certainly far worse places out there. We were also pleased to discover that this facility received consistently decent grades in each of the major categories. Additional information about its category grades can be found below.
Evergreen Health Care Center
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
- Contracted Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Peritoneal Dialysis
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Blood Administration
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Catheter Care
- Lymphedema Care
Registered Staff Hours
The primary reason this facility received a decent overall grade is its excellent inspections in recent years. We gave them one of our higher scores in that category, with an A+. This is a notably better score than the facility's overall score, which was decent but not in the elite range. Arguably the most critical factor we look at in calculating our inspection ratings is deficiencies. These deficiencies are found on a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes with better scores in this area most likely dodged the most severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. This particular nursing home received 4 deficiencies on its inspection report. Overall, this is still a good inspection report, but we'd always recommend looking into any deficiencies you find troubling.
Short-term Care Quality
Additionally, we gave this nursing home a B in our short-term care category. This happens to be one of our higher scores. Our short-term care scores are thought to be more important for individuals in need of rehabilitation from their nursing home. Rehabilitation usually utilizes higher levels of highly-skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing means not only nursing, but also physical and occupational therapy, as well as other types of therapy. We weren't able to find information on registered nurse or physical therapy staffing for this nursing home. Lastly, we assessed the number of patients who were able to return home from this nursing home. We found that 6.5 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Evergreen Health Care Center?
We also gave this nursing home a decent score in the category of nursing care, with a grade of C. Our nursing rating is based on many components, but the primary consideration is the quantity of nurse hours spent with patients. This facility provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a relatively low total compared to most other facilities. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this facility excelled in some of the quality-based metrics we assessed. It scored well in terms of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be indicators of the quality of nursing care. In many cases, the quality of nursing care is as important as the number of hours of care provided.
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to our final category, this facility was awarded a grade of C in long-term care, which is a decent rating. Our long-term care grade focuses on a facility's personal care rather than the highly skilled therapy or healthcare services that are critical to a rehabilitation facility. In addition to looking at the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. Candidly, we were a bit concerned this facility vaccinated only 74.07407 percent of its residents. On a more positive note, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Evergreen Health Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Evergreen Health Care Center, 6.31% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin resulting from remaining in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Evergreen Health Care Center, 3.94% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients that have had a major fall. Falls resulting in major injuries are routinely caused by lower levels of patient supervision. Additional nurse staffing reduces the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Evergreen Health Care Center, 1.79% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections could be associated with inadequate hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Evergreen Health Care Center, 14.56% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of patients who were given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are given to patients for many conditions, such as cognitive disorders. Tragically, in limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may indicate that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Evergreen Health Care Center, 17.25% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are administered to residents experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Evergreen Health Care Center, 5.92% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay residents showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Evergreen Health Care Center, 90.83% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Evergreen Health Care Center, 17.44% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's may be a sign of the deterioration of a resident's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Evergreen Health Care Center, 23.72% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percent of long-term residents that retained mobility levels.
In Evergreen Health Care Center, 1.33 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Evergreen Health Care Center, 23.72 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Evergreen Health Care Center, 9.54 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Evergreen Health Care Center, 74.33% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of short-term stay patients that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many believe this is a reliable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation services.
- Rockville General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.38 miles away31 Union St Vernon Rockville Connecticut 06066Proprietary(860) 872-5160
- Baystate Wing Hospital and Medical CentersAcute Care Hospitals 13.63 miles away40 Wright Street Palmer Massachusetts 01069Voluntary non-profit - Other(413) 283-7651
- Mercy Medical CtrAcute Care Hospitals 13.95 miles away271 Carew Street Springfield Massachusetts 01104Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 748-9000
- Baystate Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.61 miles away759 Chestnut Street Springfield Massachusetts 01199Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 794-0000
- Manchester Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.46 miles away71 Haynes St Manchester Connecticut 06040Proprietary(860) 647-4780
- Harrington Memorial Hospital-1Acute Care Hospitals 19.19 miles away100 South Street Southbridge Massachusetts 01550Voluntary non-profit - Private(508) 765-9771
- Holyoke Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 19.34 miles away575 Beech Street Holyoke Massachusetts 01040Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 534-2500
- Palomba Drive Dialysis9.15 miles away51 Palomba Drive Enfield Connecticut 06082Dialysis Stations: 10 (860) 749-0476
- Enfield Dialysis Center9.67 miles away113 Elm Street Enfield Connecticut 06082Dialysis Stations: 13 (860) 745-9800
- Davita Vernon Dialysis Center11.39 miles away460 Hartford Turnpike Vernon Rockville Connecticut 06066CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (860) 896-1537
- East Springfield Dialysis (Bma of Massachusetts)12.52 miles away1515 State Street Springfield Massachusetts 01109CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (413) 732-1586
- Springfield Dialysis Center13.09 miles away125 Liberty Street, Suite 101 Springfield Massachusetts 01103Dialysis Stations: 16 (413) 736-9600
- Ara-Ludlow Dialysis, LLC13.25 miles away14 Chestnut Place, Suite B Ludlow Massachusetts 01056CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (413) 583-7983
- Heritage Dialysis Center, LLC13.43 miles away67 Cooper Street Agawam Massachusetts 01001Dialysis Stations: 13 (413) 786-2022
- Fmc Dialysis Services of Palmer13.59 miles away42 Wright Street Palmer Massachusetts 01069Dialysis Stations: 13 (413) 284-0700