Located in Alton, Illinois, Eunice C Smith Nursing Home is one of just three facilities there. This nursing home is a very respectable facility, with an overall grade of B. You could definitely do much worse than this facility. This nursing home's strong profile was highlighted by its short-term care rating, which we will address in the next section.
Eunice C Smith Nursing Home
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
1251 College Avenue,
Alton IL 62002
65.78% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
On top of performing well in its overall grade, this nursing home received even higher grades for short-term care. It earned one of our highest scores in that category with a score of A-. In determining our short-term care scores, we look at a facility's levels of highly skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists occupational therapists and other types of therapists. This rating is frequently a solid assessment of a facility's rehabilitation. One of this nursing home's strength is that it offers more hours of care from registered nurses to its residents. Lastly, we looked at the percentage of residents who were able to return home from this facility. It outperformed the vast majority of nursing homes in the nation in this area with 64.2 percent of its patients returning home.
Turning to another one of this nursing home's strengths, it also received a very impressive inspection score. Inspections proved to be one of its best category grades. We gave this nursing home an A-. Perhaps the most important factor we consider in determining our inspection grades is deficiencies. These deficiencies are found on a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places with better grades in this area typically dodged the most severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. This place was assessed 6 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none were considered to be severe. This means that the government inspectors did not consider any of these deficiencies to be an immediate risk to patient safety or health. The fact that the deficiencies were relatively minor made us feel better about this inspection report.
Does this page answer your questions about Eunice C Smith Nursing Home?
This facility received a very good nursing grade this year as well. It received one of our better scores in that category with a grade of B+. The nursing grade weighs numerous datapoints. The most heavily weighted factor is the number of hours nurses spend with residents. This nursing home provided 4.2 hours of nursing care per resident each day. This was one of the more impressive totals we found. Furthermore, a significant percentage of this care was provided by registered nurses, which are highly skilled nurses. On top of offering impressive levels of care, this facility also performed well in several of the quality measures we looked at. In terms of the percentage of its patients suffering falls resulting in major injury, this nursing home performed as well as any facility the nation.
Long-term Care Quality
The next area we looked at was long-term care, which proved to be this nursing home's weakest category. Sadly, it received a lowly F for this category, which is clearly a bit of a concern. When nursing homes receive a score in this range in this category it typically means the facility did not perform well in our measures relating to resident care. Even though we determined this facility had an above average quantity of nursing care provided by nurses aids and other nursing staff, we found its vaccination rate to be somewhat lower than we expected. This nursing home provided the pneumonia vaccine to just 80 percent of its residents. This is one figure we would like to see this facility improve on. Surprisingly, this place was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With just 1.61 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this facility had less hospitalizations than the average nursing home. This is its best score in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Eunice C Smith Nursing Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Eunice C Smith Nursing Home, 8.96% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients that suffer from new or worsened pressure ulcers or bed sores. We bake this statistic into both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Eunice C Smith Nursing Home, 3.48% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents that have had a fall which caused severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Eunice C Smith Nursing Home, 2.6% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely caused by poor nursing care. Better hygiene protocols can minimize the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. We want to point out that this datapoint is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Eunice C Smith Nursing Home, 18.2% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents taking antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used appropriately. In some situations, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Eunice C Smith Nursing Home, 19.06% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of patients prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are given to patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Eunice C Smith Nursing Home, 29.52% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Eunice C Smith Nursing Home, 87.71% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Eunice C Smith Nursing Home, 14.14% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Eunice C Smith Nursing Home, 19.35% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients that retained mobility levels.
In Eunice C Smith Nursing Home, 1.5 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Eunice C Smith Nursing Home, 19.35 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Eunice C Smith Nursing Home, 11.42 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the overall quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Eunice C Smith Nursing Home, 71.34% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percent of short-term care patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some argue that this is a reliable measure of a facility's rehabilitation performance.
- Christian Hospital Northeast-NorthwestAcute Care Hospitals 9.81 miles away11133 Dunn Road Saint Louis Missouri 63136Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 653-5000
- Gateway Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.07 miles away2100 Madison Avenue Granite City Illinois 62040Voluntary non-profit - Other(618) 798-3000
- Anderson HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.27 miles away6800 State Route 162 Maryville Illinois 62062Voluntary non-profit - Private(618) 288-5711
- Jersey Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.12 miles away400 Maple Summit Road Jerseyville Illinois 62052Government - Local(618) 498-6402
- Ssm Health Depaul Hospital St LouisAcute Care Hospitals 18.12 miles away12303 Depaul Drive Bridgeton Missouri 63044Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 344-6000
- Ssm Health St Joseph Hospital-St CharlesAcute Care Hospitals 19.38 miles away300 1st Capitol Dr Saint Charles Missouri 63301Voluntary non-profit - Private(636) 947-5000
- Ssm Health Saint Louis University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 19.93 miles away3635 Vista Ave Saint Louis Missouri 63110Proprietary(314) 577-8000
- Davita - Alton Dialysis1.26 miles away309 Homer Adams Parkway Alton Illinois 62002CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (618) 462-0186
- Fmc - Southwest Illinois1.57 miles away# 7 Professional Drive Alton Illinois 62002CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (618) 463-5584
- North County Dialysis Center8.47 miles away272 Mayfair Drive Florissant Missouri 63033Dialysis Stations: 16 (314) 859-1234
- North County Kidney Care Dialysis9.65 miles away1554 Sierra Vista Plz Saint Louis Missouri 63138CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (314) 438-0864
- Cross Keys Dialysis10.02 miles away14001 New Halls Ferry Rd #133 Florissant Missouri 63033Dialysis Stations: 16 (314) 839-7416
- North Saint Louis County Dialysis10.2 miles away13119 New Halls Ferry Road Florissant Missouri 63033Dialysis Stations: 14 (314) 838-3252
- Quality Care Dialysis Centers - North County10.28 miles away6865 Parker Rd. Florissant Missouri 63033CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (314) 653-6100
- Fmc - St Louis Northeast10.71 miles away2840 Target Dr Saint Louis Missouri 63136Dialysis Stations: 12 (314) 355-1322