Eunice C Smith Nursing Home is a small non-profit nursing home in Alton, Illinois. This nursing home was given an overall grade of B-, which is a middle of the pack grade. Based on our ratings, this place likely wouldn't be a bad choice. More information on this nursing home's category grades is available below. Its best category was short-term care, which is addressed in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Eunice C Smith Nursing Home
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
1251 College Avenue,
Alton IL 62002
63.12% estimated occupancy 1
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home really excelled at short-term care, with an A- in this area. Our short-term care grades are arguably most critical for individuals in need of rehabilitation services. Rehabilitation typically mandates higher levels of skilled nursing. Skilled nursing means not merely nursing, but also physical and respiratory therapy, as well as other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not all nursing homes employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final metric we assessed in this area is the percentage of patients who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We discovered that 6.7 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
In addition, this facility also excelled in the area of inspections, where it received a grade of B+. Few nursing homes performed better in this area. Inspection grades take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these factors by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. While this nursing home had a few minor dings on its government inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means that CMS didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. The fact that none of the deficiencies were severe made us feel better about this inspection report.
Does this page answer your questions about Eunice C Smith Nursing Home?
One of this facility's better category grades was in the area of nursing care. In that area, we gave this facility a grade of C. In determining our nursing scores, we weigh both nursing hours and the levels of licensure of the nurses. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics. Although this facility got docked a bit for its nursing hours, it actually excelled in a few of these quality measures. With fewer than five percent of its residents suffering from pressure ulcers, it did remarkably well in this statistic. This can be a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can typically be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as by employing a protocol of moving a patient more often.
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to the last area, this nursing home was awarded a grade of C for long-term care, which we consider to be a decent rating. Long-term care grades assess a nursing home's assistance with daily living rather than the highly skilled nursing and medical services that are critical to a skilled nursing facility. After looking at the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we then looked at the nursing home's vaccination records. Frankly, we were a bit alarmed this facility vaccinated 84.50704 percent of its patients against pneumonia, which is significantly less than what we were hoping for. Nevertheless, this facility was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Eunice C Smith Nursing Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Eunice C Smith Nursing Home, 8.8% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many experts to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are often caused by residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Eunice C Smith Nursing Home, 3.56% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents who sustained a major fall. Falls leading to serious injuries are often associated with poor nursing care. Closer supervision can minimize the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Eunice C Smith Nursing Home, 2.49% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered to be a measure of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely linked to a facility with lower levels of hygiene. However, this statistic may also be skewed for certain nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Eunice C Smith Nursing Home, 18.65% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications may be helpful for many residents, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some cases, increased usage of these drugs may suggest a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Eunice C Smith Nursing Home, 19.21% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were given antianxiety drugs. These drugs are typically used to treat residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Eunice C Smith Nursing Home, 31.81% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay residents who are exhibiting signs of depression. Some argue that this is a measure of quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Eunice C Smith Nursing Home, 87.05% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay patients that have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home residents, making these vaccines critical to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Eunice C Smith Nursing Home, 13.3% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term residents that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and continence. Many in the industry believe this is a measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Eunice C Smith Nursing Home, 14.44% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents that retained mobility levels. Some believe that mobility is critical to residents' physical and mental well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Eunice C Smith Nursing Home, 14.44 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Eunice C Smith Nursing Home, 13.66 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between keeping patients out of the emergency room and the quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Eunice C Smith Nursing Home, 69.52% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term stay residents that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- Christian Hospital Northeast-NorthwestAcute Care Hospitals 9.81 miles away11133 Dunn Road Saint Louis Missouri 63136Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 653-5000
- Gateway Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.07 miles away2100 Madison Avenue Granite City Illinois 62040Voluntary non-profit - Other(618) 798-3000
- Anderson HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.27 miles away6800 State Route 162 Maryville Illinois 62062Voluntary non-profit - Private(618) 288-5711
- Jersey Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.12 miles away400 Maple Summit Road Jerseyville Illinois 62052Government - Local(618) 498-6402
- Ssm Health Depaul Hospital St LouisAcute Care Hospitals 18.12 miles away12303 Depaul Drive Bridgeton Missouri 63044Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 344-6000
- Ssm Health St Joseph Hospital-St CharlesAcute Care Hospitals 19.38 miles away300 1st Capitol Dr Saint Charles Missouri 63301Voluntary non-profit - Private(636) 947-5000
- Ssm Health Saint Louis University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 19.93 miles away3635 Vista Ave Saint Louis Missouri 63110Proprietary(314) 577-8000
- Davita - Alton Dialysis1.26 miles away309 Homer Adams Parkway Alton Illinois 62002CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (618) 462-0186
- Fmc - Southwest Illinois1.57 miles away# 7 Professional Drive Alton Illinois 62002CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (618) 463-5584
- North County Dialysis Center8.47 miles away272 Mayfair Drive Florissant Missouri 63033Dialysis Stations: 16 (314) 859-1234
- North County Kidney Care Dialysis9.65 miles away1554 Sierra Vista Plz Saint Louis Missouri 63138CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (314) 438-0864
- Cross Keys Dialysis10.02 miles away14001 New Halls Ferry Rd #133 Florissant Missouri 63033Dialysis Stations: 16 (314) 839-7416
- North Saint Louis County Dialysis10.2 miles away13119 New Halls Ferry Road Florissant Missouri 63033Dialysis Stations: 14 (314) 838-3252
- Quality Care Dialysis Centers - North County10.28 miles away6865 Parker Rd. Florissant Missouri 63033CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (314) 653-6100
- Fmc - St Louis Northeast10.71 miles away2840 Target Dr Saint Louis Missouri 63136Dialysis Stations: 12 (314) 355-1322