Estrella Health and Rehab Center is in Avondale, Arizona. We awarded this facility an overall grade of B-. A grade of this caliber requires some respectable scores. You can certainly do worse than this place. Finally, we wanted to make sure you are aware that there was an ownership change at this facility in the last 12 months. We will follow their performance over the next year to determine whether any adjustments to their grades are necessary.
Estrella Health and Rehab Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
350 East La Canada,
Avondale AZ 85323
71.11% estimated occupancy 1
Please note our records indicate that Estrella Health and Rehab Center has changed ownership recently and while our data on this page is up-to-date there is a chance that the quality of this facility may change under new management.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
- Colostomy Care
- Lymphedema Care
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its relatively modest overall grade, we awarded this facility an A- for its inspection grade. This grade is far more impressive than its overall grade. Arguably the most important factor we consider in calculating our inspection grades is deficiencies. These deficiencies can be found on a nursing home's inspection reports. Facilities with better grades in this area typically dodged the most severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. This facility received 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe. This indicates that the inspectors didn't consider any of these deficiencies to be an immediate risk to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility also received high marks in the area of long-term care, with first-rate score of A- in this area. For residents seeking a permanent residence as opposed to rehabilitation, long-term care is an important category. Once we assessed the volume of nursing care, we then looked at the facility's vaccination record. This facility vaccinated 93.68132 percent of its patients for pneumonia. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Estrella Health and Rehab Center?
Short-term Care Quality
The third highest area we gave this nursing home in any area came in the category of short-term care, where we awarded it a grade of C. Our short-term care scores are believed to be most critical for residents in need of rehabilitation from their nursing home. Rehabilitation usually mandates additional highly-skilled nursing services. This includes not only nursing services, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other forms of therapy. It does not appear that this nursing home submitted registered nurse or physical therapist staffing data. Finally, we considered the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 5.9 percent of this facility's residents returned home. At most nursing homes, closer to half of their patients are able to return home so this figure is below average.
This facility's weakest category is nursing, which is the last category we analyzed. In this area, we gave this nursing home a grade of D. Nursing scores are heavily correlated with levels of nurse staffing. This facility provided a meager 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis. This is well below average. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing scores. This place performed well when it comes to minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. Many consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Estrella Health and Rehab Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Estrella Health and Rehab Center, 8.97% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint tells you the percentage of long-term stay patients who suffer from new or worsened pressure ulcers or bed sores. We use this statistic in calculating both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Estrella Health and Rehab Center, 2.2% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents who have had a fall resulting in severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Estrella Health and Rehab Center, 1.68% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely associated with worse hygiene protocols. Better hygiene protocols minimizes the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. Note that this metric is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Estrella Health and Rehab Center, 11.03% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients which were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents in scenarios where such drugs aren't medically indicated. However, some nursing homes may need to rely more on these medications due to an increased number of patients suffering from dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Estrella Health and Rehab Center, 16.78% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of residents who were given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are administered to residents suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Estrella Health and Rehab Center, 3.1% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care residents demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Estrella Health and Rehab Center, 80.03% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Estrella Health and Rehab Center, 12.44% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and using the bathroom. Some would argue that this is a reliable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Estrella Health and Rehab Center, 20.97% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients that retained mobility levels. Some believe that the ability to move around is critical to patients well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Estrella Health and Rehab Center, 20.97 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Estrella Health and Rehab Center, 11.03 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Estrella Health and Rehab Center, 73.85% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term care patients that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of performance with ADL's typically correlates with better rehabilitation services.
- Abrazo West CampusAcute Care Hospitals 1.27 miles away13677 West Mcdowell Road Goodyear Arizona 85395Proprietary(623) 882-1970
- Copper Springs Hospital, LLCPsychiatric 3.55 miles away10550 West Mcdowell Road Avondale Arizona 85392Proprietary(480) 565-3035
- Banner Estrella Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.52 miles away9201 West Thomas Road Phoenix Arizona 85037Voluntary non-profit - Private(623) 327-4000
- Banner Boswell Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.41 miles away10401 West Thunderbird Boulevard Sun City Arizona 85351Voluntary non-profit - Other(623) 832-4000
- Banner Del E. Webb Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.65 miles away14502 West Meeker Boulevard Sun City West Arizona 85375Voluntary non-profit - Private(623) 524-4000
- Banner Thunderbird Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.73 miles away5555 West Thunderbird Road Glendale Arizona 85306Government - Hospital District or Authority(602) 865-4470
- Abrazo Central CampusAcute Care Hospitals 14.99 miles away2000 West Bethany Home Road Phoenix Arizona 85015Physician(602) 249-0212
- St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 15.55 miles away350 West Thomas Road Phoenix Arizona 85013Voluntary non-profit - Church(602) 406-5001
- Avondale Dialysis (Dsi)1.27 miles away13055 W Mcdowell Rd Ste f101 Avondale Arizona 85392Dialysis Stations: 24 (623) 935-5460
- Goodyear Dialysis (Fmc)2.59 miles away500 N Bullard Ave Ste c34 Goodyear Arizona 85338CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (623) 925-8955
- Palm Valley Dialysis (Fmc)3.25 miles away13657 W Mcdowell Rd Ste 106 Goodyear Arizona 85338Dialysis Stations: 12 (623) 536-1096
- Avondale Dialysis (Fmc)3.38 miles away10750 W Mcdowell Rd Ste e500 Avondale Arizona 85323CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (623) 643-9334
- Estrella Mountain Dialysis, LLC (Ara)5.49 miles away9250 West Thomas Road Suite 120 Phoenix Arizona 85037CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (623) 772-7363
- Southwest Kidney Dialysis - Estrella (Dva)6.44 miles away8410 W Thomas Rd Ste 100 Bldg 1 Phoenix Arizona 85037CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (623) 247-0808
- Fresenius Kidney Care Westgate Home7.79 miles away6622 N 91st Avenue Ste 210 Glendale Arizona 85305Dialysis Stations: 1 (623) 877-0209
- Fresenius Kidney Care Westgate7.79 miles away6622 N 91st Ave Suite 120 Glendale Arizona 85305Dialysis Stations: 23 (623) 772-1334