Estrella Health and Rehab Center is in Avondale, Arizona. We awarded this facility an overall grade of C. A grade of this caliber requires some respectable scores. You can certainly do worse than this place. The best part of this facility's profile is its stellar inspection grade. We discuss inspections in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Estrella Health and Rehab Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Avondale senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
- Colostomy Care
- Lymphedema Care
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
We want to draw your attention to the fact that this nursing home outperformed its overall grade in the category of inspections. In fact, it received a nearly flawless government inspection report this year. As a result, we gave it one of our highest grades in this category with an A. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in calculating our inspection scores. One of those factors is health deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of the deficiencies is usually more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some deficiencies are quite insignificant. While this place had a few minor dings on its inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are labeled as categories G through L. This means that the government inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. A couple of minor deficiencies shouldn't lead you to cross a nursing home off your list.
Short-term Care Quality
We also gave this facility a middle of the road grade in the area of short-term care, where we awarded it a B-. In forming these short-term care grades, we quantify the facility's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, respiratory therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. Our purpose is to devise a barometer for sizing up the rehabilitation services of various nursing homes. Unfortunately, we found that this place provided fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other facilities. The final datapoint we looked at in this category is the number of residents that ultimately were able to return home from the facility. We found that just 5.9 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Estrella Health and Rehab Center?
Long-term Care Quality
Sadly, this nursing home's next highest score is long-term care. Nevertheless, with a grade of D in this category, it still performed relatively poorly. For prospective patients seeking a permanent residence as opposed to rehabilitation, long-term care grades are an important measure. On top of looking at the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. Thankfully, this facility provided the vaccine to 97.02702 percent of its patients, which is an above average percentage. Surprisingly, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this nursing home had fewer hospitalizations than most nursing homes. Sadly, a few of its other scores in the category were not as favorable as these.
The last area we graded is nursing, ended up being this facility's weakest area. We awarded this nursing home a D in that category. When computing our nursing grades, we factor in both nursing hours and the training levels of those nurses. This facility averaged just 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis. This statistic is significantly below the national average. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing ratings. This place fared well when it comes to minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Estrella Health and Rehab Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Estrella Health and Rehab Center, 8.99% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin resulting from remaining in one position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Estrella Health and Rehab Center, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of residents who suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injuries are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . Major falls which result in injury are often the result of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Estrella Health and Rehab Center, 1.4% of Patients had UTIs
This metric indicates the percentage of long-term patients which have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's may be a sign of a facility with lower levels of hygiene. However, this metric could also be skewed for some nursing homes due to different reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Estrella Health and Rehab Center, 11.79% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients taking antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may suggest that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Estrella Health and Rehab Center, 17.9% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure measures the percentage of long-term care residents taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Estrella Health and Rehab Center, 3.74% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who are showing depressive symptoms. High rates of depression may be a sign a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Estrella Health and Rehab Center, 74.57% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Estrella Health and Rehab Center, 12.93% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and taking a bath. Many argue this is a reliable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Estrella Health and Rehab Center, 15.66% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percentage of long-term residents who maintained mobility.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Estrella Health and Rehab Center, 15.66 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Estrella Health and Rehab Center, 11.86 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between reduced emergency room visits and the overall quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Estrella Health and Rehab Center, 75.23% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term patients that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Higher levels of autonomy with activities of daily living typically correlates with successful rehabilitation.
- Abrazo West CampusAcute Care Hospitals 1.27 miles away13677 West Mcdowell Road Goodyear Arizona 85395Proprietary(623) 882-1970
- Copper Springs Hospital, LLCPsychiatric 3.55 miles away10550 West Mcdowell Road Avondale Arizona 85392Proprietary(480) 565-3035
- Banner Estrella Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.52 miles away9201 West Thomas Road Phoenix Arizona 85037Voluntary non-profit - Private(623) 327-4000
- Banner Boswell Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.41 miles away10401 West Thunderbird Boulevard Sun City Arizona 85351Voluntary non-profit - Other(623) 832-4000
- Banner Del E. Webb Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.65 miles away14502 West Meeker Boulevard Sun City West Arizona 85375Voluntary non-profit - Private(623) 524-4000
- Banner Thunderbird Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.73 miles away5555 West Thunderbird Road Glendale Arizona 85306Government - Hospital District or Authority(602) 865-4470
- Abrazo Central CampusAcute Care Hospitals 14.99 miles away2000 West Bethany Home Road Phoenix Arizona 85015Physician(602) 249-0212
- St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 15.55 miles away350 West Thomas Road Phoenix Arizona 85013Voluntary non-profit - Church(602) 406-5001
- Avondale Dialysis (Dsi)1.27 miles away13055 W Mcdowell Rd Ste f101 Avondale Arizona 85392Dialysis Stations: 24 (623) 935-5460
- Goodyear Dialysis (Fmc)2.59 miles away500 N Bullard Ave Ste c34 Goodyear Arizona 85338CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (623) 925-8955
- Palm Valley Dialysis (Fmc)3.25 miles away13657 W Mcdowell Rd Ste 106 Goodyear Arizona 85338Dialysis Stations: 12 (623) 536-1096
- Avondale Dialysis (Fmc)3.38 miles away10750 W Mcdowell Rd Ste e500 Avondale Arizona 85323CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (623) 643-9334
- Estrella Mountain Dialysis, LLC (Ara)5.49 miles away9250 West Thomas Road Suite 120 Phoenix Arizona 85037CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (623) 772-7363
- Southwest Kidney Dialysis - Estrella (Dva)6.44 miles away8410 W Thomas Rd Ste 100 Bldg 1 Phoenix Arizona 85037CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (623) 247-0808
- Fresenius Kidney Care Westgate Home7.79 miles away6622 N 91st Avenue Ste 210 Glendale Arizona 85305Dialysis Stations: 1 (623) 877-0209
- Fresenius Kidney Care Westgate7.79 miles away6622 N 91st Ave Suite 120 Glendale Arizona 85305Dialysis Stations: 23 (623) 772-1334