Estrella Health and Rehab Center is in Avondale, Arizona. We awarded this facility an overall grade of B-. A grade of this caliber requires some respectable scores. You can certainly do worse than this place. Finally, we wanted to make sure you are aware that there was an ownership change at this facility in the last 12 months. We will follow their performance over the next year to determine whether any adjustments to their grades are necessary.
Estrella Health and Rehab Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
Please note our records indicate that Estrella Health and Rehab Center has changed ownership recently and while our data on this page is up-to-date there is a chance that the quality of this facility may change under new management.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
- Colostomy Care
- Lymphedema Care
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
We awarded this facility an A- for our long-term care grade. This is much more impressive than its overall grade. If you are looking for services other than short-term rehabilitation, you should take a close look at each nursing home's long-term care grades. After considering the volume of nursing care, we turned to the facility's vaccination records. This facility vaccinated 93.582886 percent of its patients against pneumonia. Finally, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
We also want to emphasize this facility's nearly flawless inspections in recent years. We gave them an impressive grade of B+ in this area. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in determining our inspection ratings. One of those factors is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the quantity of deficiencies, as some are relatively insignificant. This place received 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none were considered to be severe deficiencies. This tells you that the inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies to be an immediate threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Estrella Health and Rehab Center?
One of this facility's better category grades was in the area of nursing care. In that area, we gave this facility a grade of C. In calculating a nursing home's nursing rating, we assess the quantity of hours nurses commit to residents as well as the level of skill of the nurses. This nursing home averages just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low figure. Lastly, although this nursing home got dinged a bit for its nursing hours, it excelled in some of our quality-based metrics. With fewer than five percent of its patients suffering from pressure ulcers, it did well in this subcategory.
Short-term Care Quality
The next area we graded was short-term care, ended up being this facility's weakest area. We gave this facility a grade of D in that category. This really is one of the couple of weak points in an otherwise impressive profile. In determining our short-term care grades, we analyze the nursing home's levels of highly skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists speech therapists and other types of therapists. This area is frequently a useful measure of the nursing home's ability to rehabilitate patients. Unfortunately, we found that this facility provided less registered nurse and physical therapist hours per patient than most nursing homes. Lastly, we looked at the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that just 5.2 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Estrella Health and Rehab Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Estrella Health and Rehab Center, 9.03% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure tells you the percent of long-term residents which suffered from pressure ulcers. Many experts believe that pressure ulcers are a solid barometer of the quality of nursing care a nursing home provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Estrella Health and Rehab Center, 2.25% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure measures the percent of long-term residents which had a fall leading to major injury. We use this statistic in calculating nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Estrella Health and Rehab Center, 1.58% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered by many experts to be a measure of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely associated with poor nursing care. However, this metric may be misleading for some nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Estrella Health and Rehab Center, 11.13% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of residents prescribed antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many patients, it is important to make sure these medications are being used appropriately. In some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Estrella Health and Rehab Center, 16.92% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of residents who were prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are administered to patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Estrella Health and Rehab Center, 2.87% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care residents who are demonstrating symptoms of depression. Some experts argue that this is a reasonable measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Estrella Health and Rehab Center, 81.19% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Estrella Health and Rehab Center, 12.86% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care residents who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and bathing. Many in the industry would argue this is a measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Estrella Health and Rehab Center, 23.01% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of patients that were able to retain mobility over time. Retaining mobility can be a good sign for residents' well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Estrella Health and Rehab Center, 23.01 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Estrella Health and Rehab Center, 10.95 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Estrella Health and Rehab Center, 73.63% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term care patients that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of performance with ADL's typically correlates with better rehabilitation services.
- Abrazo West CampusAcute Care Hospitals 1.27 miles away13677 West Mcdowell Road Goodyear Arizona 85395Proprietary(623) 882-1970
- Copper Springs Hospital, LLCPsychiatric 3.55 miles away10550 West Mcdowell Road Avondale Arizona 85392Proprietary(480) 565-3035
- Banner Estrella Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.52 miles away9201 West Thomas Road Phoenix Arizona 85037Voluntary non-profit - Private(623) 327-4000
- Banner Boswell Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.41 miles away10401 West Thunderbird Boulevard Sun City Arizona 85351Voluntary non-profit - Other(623) 832-4000
- Banner Del E. Webb Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.65 miles away14502 West Meeker Boulevard Sun City West Arizona 85375Voluntary non-profit - Private(623) 524-4000
- Banner Thunderbird Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.73 miles away5555 West Thunderbird Road Glendale Arizona 85306Government - Hospital District or Authority(602) 865-4470
- Abrazo Central CampusAcute Care Hospitals 14.99 miles away2000 West Bethany Home Road Phoenix Arizona 85015Physician(602) 249-0212
- St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 15.55 miles away350 West Thomas Road Phoenix Arizona 85013Voluntary non-profit - Church(602) 406-5001
- Avondale Dialysis (Dsi)1.27 miles away13055 W Mcdowell Rd Ste f101 Avondale Arizona 85392Dialysis Stations: 24 (623) 935-5460
- Goodyear Dialysis (Fmc)2.59 miles away500 N Bullard Ave Ste c34 Goodyear Arizona 85338CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (623) 925-8955
- Palm Valley Dialysis (Fmc)3.25 miles away13657 W Mcdowell Rd Ste 106 Goodyear Arizona 85338Dialysis Stations: 12 (623) 536-1096
- Avondale Dialysis (Fmc)3.38 miles away10750 W Mcdowell Rd Ste e500 Avondale Arizona 85323CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (623) 643-9334
- Estrella Mountain Dialysis, LLC (Ara)5.49 miles away9250 West Thomas Road Suite 120 Phoenix Arizona 85037CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (623) 772-7363
- Southwest Kidney Dialysis - Estrella (Dva)6.44 miles away8410 W Thomas Rd Ste 100 Bldg 1 Phoenix Arizona 85037CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (623) 247-0808
- Fresenius Kidney Care Westgate Home7.79 miles away6622 N 91st Avenue Ste 210 Glendale Arizona 85305Dialysis Stations: 1 (623) 877-0209
- Fresenius Kidney Care Westgate7.79 miles away6622 N 91st Ave Suite 120 Glendale Arizona 85305Dialysis Stations: 23 (623) 772-1334