Essex Nursing and Rehabilitation Center is a large nursing home located in Louisville, Kentucky. This is a strong facility with a grade of B+ overall. We were pleased to find out that many of the other facilities in Louisville received similar grades. This facility truly has plenty going for it. Fortunately, this facility didn't have any bad scores in any of the four major categories. More information about its category grades is available below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Essex Nursing and Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
9600 Lamborne Boulevard,
Louisville KY 40272
85.78% estimated occupancy 1
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Top Nursing Home in Kentucky Awards 2019
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A+ for our inspections rating. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in calculating our inspection scores. One of those factors is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of the deficiencies is usually more important than the number of deficiencies, as some end up being relatively minor. Unfortunately, we were not able to locate deficiency data for this facility. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility was given a favorable long-term care score as well. We awarded it one of our better scores in that area with a score of B+. Nursing homes that do well in this category tend to provide patients with closer supervision and stay on top of routine healthcare services. In addition to looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its patients. Vaccines are critical to keeping residents out of the hospital. Lastly, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Essex Nursing and Rehabilitation Center?
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to the third area, this nursing home also earned a grade of B for its short-term care rating. This is an above average grade in this category. Our short-term care grade is generally employed to judge a facility's performance with rehabilitation In order to have quality rehabilitation services, facilities generally must offer better levels of highly skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists and other licensed professionals. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all nursing homes employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final measure we looked at in this area is the number of residents that ultimately were able to return home from the facility. We found that 5.6 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
The last area we graded is nursing. In this category, we awarded this nursing home an acceptable grade of B-. This is this nursing home's weakest area. We analyzed the levels of nurses at the nursing home, in addition to the number of hours those nurses spent with residents, in determining our score in this category. This place provides only 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis. This is a somewhat alarming figure which is well below the national average. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this nursing home surprisingly fared better in some of the quality-based metrics we assessed. In fact, it scored well in the area of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Essex Nursing and Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Essex Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 9.26% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents who suffered from pressure ulcers . We use this statistic in calculating our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Essex Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 3.96% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients who have had a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injury are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls leading to injury are routinely caused by lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Essex Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 3.13% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely linked to facilities with lower levels of hygiene. More frequent bathing can minimize the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Note that this statistic is affected by by the fact that facilities have varying reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Essex Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 16.59% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of residents prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are prescribed to residents for many conditions, including dementia. Sadly, in limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Essex Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 29.93% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric is an indication of the percentage of long-term stay residents taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Essex Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 8.23% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who are exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Essex Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 89.41% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home patients, making these types of vaccines important for resident well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Essex Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 16.24% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term stay patients that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and eating. Many argue this is a measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Essex Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 15.8% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of residents who retained mobility levels over time. Optimizing mobility can be a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Essex Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 1.79 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Essex Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 15.8 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Essex Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 13.87 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Essex Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 72.54% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term stay patients that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Louisville, KY
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Louisville, Kentucky has 22 other nursing homes
- Norton Hospital / Norton Healthcare Pavilion / NorAcute Care Hospitals 9.96 miles away200 East Chestnut Street Louisville Kentucky 40202Voluntary non-profit - Private(502) 629-8000
- Jewish Hospital & St Mary's HealthcareAcute Care Hospitals 10.03 miles away200 Abraham Flexner Way Louisville Kentucky 40202Voluntary non-profit - Private(502) 587-4011
- University of Louisville HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.09 miles away530 South Jackson Street Louisville Kentucky 40202Voluntary non-profit - Private(502) 562-3000
- Clark Memorial HealthAcute Care Hospitals 12.26 miles away1220 Missouri Ave Jeffersonville Indiana 47130Voluntary non-profit - Other(812) 283-2147
- Baptist Health LouisvilleAcute Care Hospitals 12.94 miles away4000 Kresge Way Louisville Kentucky 40207Voluntary non-profit - Private(502) 897-8100
- Baptist Health FloydAcute Care Hospitals 12.98 miles away1850 State St New Albany Indiana 47150Voluntary non-profit - Private(812) 944-7701
- Wellstone Regional HospitalPsychiatric 15.97 miles away2700 Vissing Park Rd Jeffersonville Indiana 47130Proprietary(812) 284-8000
- The Brook Hospital - KmiPsychiatric 16.08 miles away8521 Lagrange Road Louisville Kentucky 40242Government - Federal(502) 426-6380
- Davita - Louisville Dialysis2.18 miles away8037 Dixie Highway Louisville Kentucky 40258Dialysis Stations: 24 (502) 937-9111
- Fmc - Southwest3.07 miles away9616 Dixie Hwy. Louisville Kentucky 40272CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (502) 937-2996
- Bio-Medical Applications of Kentucky, Inc.4.23 miles away1715 Gagel Avenue Louisville Kentucky 40216Dialysis Stations: 16 (502) 447-4148
- University Kidney Center Bluegrass, LLC4.72 miles away1935 Bluegrass Ave., Suite 100 Louisville Kentucky 40215Dialysis Stations: 16 (502) 368-5843
- Fmc - South Louisville5.47 miles away1514 Crum Lane Louisville Kentucky 40216CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (502) 361-1914
- Davita - Sheperdsville Dialysis6.08 miles away150 Brooks Way, Suite 15 Brooks Kentucky 40109Dialysis Stations: 12 (502) 955-2153
- Fmc-South Central Louisville7.29 miles away8319 Preston Highway Suite C,D,E Louisville Kentucky 40219CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (502) 968-2225
- Fmc - Dialysis Services of Audubon8.68 miles away2355 Poplar Level Road, Suite G 2-10 Louisville Kentucky 40217Dialysis Stations: 25 (502) 637-1771