Essex Nursing and Rehabilitation Center is a large nursing home located in Louisville, Kentucky. We awarded this facility a very respectable overall rating of B+. As a matter of fact, it is ranked among the top twenty nursing homes in the city. In spite of Louisville offering 41 nursing homes to choose from, this nursing home stands out as a great choice. This place was stronger in some categories than others, but it didn't have any poor grades in any of the major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Essex Nursing and Rehabilitation Center
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
9600 Lamborne Boulevard,
Louisville KY 40272
89.37% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
On top of performing well overall, this facility also received a nearly flawless inspection report. Therefore, it received one of our best grades in that category with a grade of A+. Our inspection ratings weigh a host of factors found on a facility's inspection report. One key criteria we consider is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Places with better grades in this category generally have very few severe deficiencies. It does not look like we were able to find deficiency counts for this nursing home. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility also was given an impressive long-term care score. In fact, we gave it an above average grade of B+ in this area. When facilities receive a grade in this range in this category it generally means it has plenty of staff and is a quality place to reside on a permanent basis. Once we assessed the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we then analyzed the nursing home's vaccination statistics. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is much higher than most nursing homes. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Essex Nursing and Rehabilitation Center?
This facility's next best category was its nursing grade, where it received a grade of B-. While this didn't quite match its scores in some of the categories discussed above, this is still a decent score. There are a host of criteria included in this grade. Most of the factors reflect staffing levels. This nursing home provides 2.8 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Finally, despite not having the most impressive total nursing hours, this place performed admirably in the metric of preventing major falls. This is usually a reliable indicator that a nursing home has sufficient quality controls in place.
Short-term Care Quality
The next category we graded is this nursing home's worst category. Nevertheless, even in its worst category we still awarded it an acceptable grade of C for our short-term care category. In computing our short-term care scores, we size up the nursing home's levels of skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists occupational therapists and other types of therapists. This area is generally a reliable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation. Fortunately, this nursing home offers both physical therapists and registered nurses. Not all facilities offer both. Finally, we looked at the number of patients that ultimately were able to return home from this facility and found that this nursing home performed better here. In fact, this nursing home performed better than most facilities in the nation with 50.5 percent of its residents returning home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Essex Nursing and Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Essex Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 9.24% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many experts to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are often the result of patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Essex Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 3.89% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents that sustained a fall leading to serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Essex Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 2.7% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of patients who have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely caused by facilities with lower levels of hygiene. More frequent bathing limits the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. Note that this datapoint is affected by by the fact that nursing homes have different reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Essex Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 15.86% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients who were given antipsychotic medications. These drugs are sometimes used to treat several conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Essex Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 28.6% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of residents who were given antianxiety medications. These medications are generally given to patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Essex Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 7.9% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients who are exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Essex Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 91.16% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Essex Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 15.59% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living could be a sign of decline of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Essex Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 21.85% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of residents that maintained mobility over time. Retaining mobility can be a good sign for residents' health.
In Essex Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 1.51 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Avoiding the hospital is important to the physical health of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Essex Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 21.85 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Essex Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 13.28 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Essex Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 72.21% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term care residents that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Louisville, KY
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Louisville, Kentucky has 40 other nursing homes
- Norton Hospital / Norton Healthcare Pavilion / NorAcute Care Hospitals 9.96 miles away200 East Chestnut Street Louisville Kentucky 40202Voluntary non-profit - Private(502) 629-8000
- Jewish Hospital & St Mary's HealthcareAcute Care Hospitals 10.03 miles away200 Abraham Flexner Way Louisville Kentucky 40202Voluntary non-profit - Private(502) 587-4011
- University of Louisville HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.09 miles away530 South Jackson Street Louisville Kentucky 40202Voluntary non-profit - Private(502) 562-3000
- Clark Memorial HealthAcute Care Hospitals 12.26 miles away1220 Missouri Ave Jeffersonville Indiana 47130Voluntary non-profit - Other(812) 283-2147
- Baptist Health LouisvilleAcute Care Hospitals 12.94 miles away4000 Kresge Way Louisville Kentucky 40207Voluntary non-profit - Private(502) 897-8100
- Baptist Health FloydAcute Care Hospitals 12.98 miles away1850 State St New Albany Indiana 47150Voluntary non-profit - Private(812) 944-7701
- Wellstone Regional HospitalPsychiatric 15.97 miles away2700 Vissing Park Rd Jeffersonville Indiana 47130Proprietary(812) 284-8000
- The Brook Hospital - KmiPsychiatric 16.08 miles away8521 Lagrange Road Louisville Kentucky 40242Government - Federal(502) 426-6380
- Davita - Louisville Dialysis2.18 miles away8037 Dixie Highway Louisville Kentucky 40258Dialysis Stations: 24 (502) 937-9111
- Fmc - Southwest3.07 miles away9616 Dixie Hwy. Louisville Kentucky 40272CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (502) 937-2996
- Bio-Medical Applications of Kentucky, Inc.4.23 miles away1715 Gagel Avenue Louisville Kentucky 40216Dialysis Stations: 16 (502) 447-4148
- University Kidney Center Bluegrass, LLC4.72 miles away1935 Bluegrass Ave., Suite 100 Louisville Kentucky 40215Dialysis Stations: 16 (502) 368-5843
- Fmc - South Louisville5.47 miles away1514 Crum Lane Louisville Kentucky 40216CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (502) 361-1914
- Davita - Sheperdsville Dialysis6.08 miles away150 Brooks Way, Suite 15 Brooks Kentucky 40109Dialysis Stations: 12 (502) 955-2153
- Fmc-South Central Louisville7.29 miles away8319 Preston Highway Suite C,D,E Louisville Kentucky 40219CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (502) 968-2225
- Fmc - Dialysis Services of Audubon8.68 miles away2355 Poplar Level Road, Suite G 2-10 Louisville Kentucky 40217Dialysis Stations: 25 (502) 637-1771