Eskaton Care Center Greenhaven is a large non-profit nursing home located in Sacramento, California. This facility is one of the most elite nursing homes we assessed. A grade of this caliber requires superb scores across the board. We were not surprised to discover that this is one of the highest rated facilities in the city. One of the best aspects of this nursing home's exemplary report card is its short-term care rating. We discuss short-term care in the next section.
Eskaton Care Center Greenhaven
Updated May 1, 2022 by Sara Levinsohn
455 Florin Road,
Sacramento CA 95831
73.1% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
In addition to being a first rate facility overall, this facility also excelled in the area of short-term care, where it earned an A. Short-term care ratings are meaningful for residents looking for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally mandates higher levels of highly-skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing means a broad range of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. We were pleased to find that this nursing home employs both registered nurses and physical therapists. The same can't be said for all nursing homes. Lastly, we considered the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. This proved to be a real strength for this facility. It outperformed the vast majority of facilities in the nation with 70.9 percent of its residents returning home. This is a significantly higher rate than most facilities.
Adding to this nursing home's impressive resume, we gave this facility an A for inspections. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in determining these inspection ratings. One of those factors is deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of deficiencies is usually more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some deficiencies can be relatively minor. This place was hit with 2 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none were considered to be major deficiencies. This means that the inspectors didn't deem any of these deficiencies an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Remember that deficiency-free inspections are uncommon in this industry.
Does this page answer your questions about Eskaton Care Center Greenhaven?
To complement its strong performance in other areas, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A for our inspections rating. The nursing grade analyzes a handful of components, many of which are tied to levels of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides an incredible 5 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis. This is much better than what is provided by most nursing homes. Lastly, this facility was also above average in each of the major quality-based metrics we assessed in this category. It performed well in the area of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers.
Long-term Care Quality
The last category we rated was long-term care, in which this facility was awarded a grade of B. Although this ended up being its poorest category grade, this is nevertheless a quality score. Nursing homes that do well in long-term care typically are well-staffed and provide extensive hands on care to residents. One of the factors we considered after this facility's above average nursing hours is vaccinations. This nursing home provided the pneumonia vaccine to 100 percent of its residents. Vaccines are a great way to avoid unnecessary hospitalizations for the elderly. Finally, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. With just 1.38 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this facility had fewer hospitalizations than most nursing homes.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Eskaton Care Center Greenhaven Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Eskaton Care Center Greenhaven, 7.63% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are often the result of residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols can reduce the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Eskaton Care Center Greenhaven, 1.66% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients that suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to severe injuries are often the result of lower quality nursing care. Better nursing protocols can reduce the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Eskaton Care Center Greenhaven, 1.19% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many experts to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are often caused by worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this statistic could be skewed for certain facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Eskaton Care Center Greenhaven, 9.98% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are given to patients for a variety of conditions, such as cognitive disorders. Unfortunately, in some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Eskaton Care Center Greenhaven, 13.87% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure measures the percent of long-term patients who were given antianxiety medication. These drugs are typically prescribed to residents experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Eskaton Care Center Greenhaven, 4.32% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who are exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Eskaton Care Center Greenhaven, 96.21% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Eskaton Care Center Greenhaven, 8.35% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with ADL's may be a sign of the deterioration of a resident's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Eskaton Care Center Greenhaven, 14.01% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents that maintained mobility.
In Eskaton Care Center Greenhaven, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Eskaton Care Center Greenhaven, 14.01 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Eskaton Care Center Greenhaven, 9.82 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Eskaton Care Center Greenhaven, 79.69% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term stay residents who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Sacramento, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Sacramento, California has 20 other nursing homes
- University of California Davis Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.48 miles away2315 Stockton Boulevard Sacramento California 95817Voluntary non-profit - Other(916) 734-2011
- Sutter Medical Center, SacramentoAcute Care Hospitals 5.76 miles away2825 Capitol Avenue Sacramento California 95816Voluntary non-profit - Private(916) 733-8999
- Mercy General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.35 miles away4001 J St Sacramento California 95819Voluntary non-profit - Private(916) 453-4453
- Kaiser Foundation Hosp So SacramentoAcute Care Hospitals 6.72 miles away6600 Bruceville Road Sacramento California 95823Voluntary non-profit - Private(916) 688-2000
- Methodist Hospital of SacramentoAcute Care Hospitals 7.3 miles away7500 Hospital Drive Sacramento California 95823Voluntary non-profit - Private(916) 423-6010
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - SacramentoAcute Care Hospitals 10.25 miles away2025 Morse Avenue Sacramento California 95825Voluntary non-profit - Private(916) 973-5000
- Sutter Davis HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.19 miles away2000 Sutter Place Davis California 95616Voluntary non-profit - Private(530) 756-6440
- Heritage Oaks HospitalPsychiatric 13.25 miles away4250 Auburn Blvd Sacramento California 95841Proprietary(916) 489-3336
- Dci-Meadowview Dialysis Clinic2.75 miles away1545 Meadowview Rd., Suite 130-180 Sacramento California 95832Dialysis Stations: 24 (916) 392-1250
- West Sacramento Dialysis Clinic4.14 miles away3450 Industrial Boulevard Suite 100 West Sacramento California 95691CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (916) 371-4947
- South Sacramento Dialysis Center4.17 miles away7000 Franklin Blvd. #880 Sacramento California 95823CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (916) 427-2561
- Davita Deer Park Dialysis5.21 miles away4401 Mack Road Sacramento California 95823Dialysis Stations: 24 (916) 738-3575
- Broadway Dialysis5.45 miles away2624 Stockton Boulevard Sacramento California 95817CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 34 (916) 457-0113
- Rai Mack Road5.48 miles away4660 Mack Road, Ste 168 Sacramento California 95823CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (916) 394-9312
- Southgate Dialysis5.56 miles away7231 E Southgate Drive Sacramento California 95823Dialysis Stations: 22 (916) 395-7585
- Dci University Dialysis Clinic5.58 miles away1771 Stockton Blvd Sacramento California 95816CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (916) 453-0803