Episcopal Church Home Gardens is a small non-profit nursing home located in Saint Paul, Minnesota. This nursing home turns out to be a grade A facility, which is a truly elite grade. We simply can not say enough favorable things about this facility. If you scroll down, you can see this facility's category ratings, which are also quite good.
Episcopal Church Home Gardens
Updated May 1, 2022 by Sara Levinsohn
1860 University Avenue West,
Saint Paul MN 55104
96.66% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
On top of receiving a strong overall grade, this nursing home received an A+ inspection score. This is based on the facility's recent inspection reports. An A+ in this category is one of the highest complements we can pay to a facility. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in calculating these inspection grades. One of those factors is health deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of the deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the quantity of deficiencies, as some can be quite insignificant. While this facility had some deficiencies on its government inspection report, none were major deficiencies based on CMS' deficiency scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
We also wanted to emphasize the fact that this facility excelled in our nursing rating. We awarded them an impressive grade of A+ in this category. Nursing ratings are mostly associated with a nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This facility provides an incredible 5.6 hours of nursing care per resident each day. This is far more care than what is offered by most nursing homes. Lastly, this place was also above average in each of the major quality-based metrics we assessed in this category. It performed well in the area of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls.
Does this page answer your questions about Episcopal Church Home Gardens?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home also received a impressive long-term care grade. This actually ended up being its third strongest category score. In that area, this facility received a grade of A-. For long-term care residents, the primary goal is to maintain residents' quality of life and keep them safe. Once we looked at the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination record. This facility vaccinated 91.666664 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which happens to be a few points below what we were hoping for but still a respectable percentage. Lastly, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0.21 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Short-term Care Quality
In our last area, this facility also was given a very strong short-term care rating, with a B+. This finished off an elite profile. In the category of short-term care, we try to qualify measures of a facility's rehabilitation. We analyze the facility's skilled nursing services, including the ones performed by registered nurses and various therapists. One of this nursing home's strengths is registered nurse hours. We found that it offers more care from registered nurses to its residents than most facilities. Finally, we looked at the percentage of residents that ultimately returned home from this facility. We found that 0 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Episcopal Church Home Gardens Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Episcopal Church Home Gardens, 6.9% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This measures the percent of long-term patients who suffer from new or worsened pressure ulcers. We find that pressure ulcers are a solid indicator of nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Episcopal Church Home Gardens, 4.36% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients that have had a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injury are considered to be a barometer of nursing care . Major falls resulting in injury are often the result of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Episcopal Church Home Gardens, 2.82% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are often associated with a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this datapoint can also be skewed for some facilities due to different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Episcopal Church Home Gardens, 16.53% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are administered to residents for a variety of medical conditions, such as dementia. Unfortunately, in some cases, increased usage of these drugs may mean that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Episcopal Church Home Gardens, 12.02% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric tells you the percentage of long-term stay residents taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Episcopal Church Home Gardens, 4.55% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who are showing depressive symptoms. High rates of depression may imply a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Episcopal Church Home Gardens, 94.12% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents that were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home patients, making these types of vaccines important for resident well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Episcopal Church Home Gardens, 13.22% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Episcopal Church Home Gardens, 19.91% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care patients that were able to retain mobility. Some experts would argue that the ability to move around is vital to residents' mental and physical health.
In Episcopal Church Home Gardens, 1.26 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital is key to maintaining the physical health of patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Episcopal Church Home Gardens, 19.91 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Scores for Saint Paul, MN
- Overall Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Saint Paul, Minnesota has 24 other nursing homes
- University of Minnesota Medical Center, FairviewAcute Care Hospitals 2.97 miles away2450 Riverside Avenue Minneapolis Minnesota 55454Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 273-3000
- United HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.59 miles away333 North Smith Avenue Saint Paul Minnesota 55102Voluntary non-profit - Private(651) 241-8810
- Regions HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.04 miles away640 Jackson Street Saint Paul Minnesota 55101Voluntary non-profit - Private(651) 254-1616
- Abbott Northwestern HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.08 miles away800 East 28th Street Minneapolis Minnesota 55407Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 863-4457
- Children's Hospitals & Clinics of MnChildrens 4.09 miles away2525 Chicago Avenue South Minneapolis Minnesota 55404Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 813-6112
- Hennepin County Medical Center 1Acute Care Hospitals 4.25 miles away701 Park Avenue Minneapolis Minnesota 55415Government - Local(612) 873-3629
- North Memorial HealthAcute Care Hospitals 8.01 miles away3300 Oakdale North Minneapolis Minnesota 55422Voluntary non-profit - Private(763) 520-5200
- Healtheast St John's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.66 miles away1575 Beam Avenue Saint Paul Minnesota 55109Voluntary non-profit - Private(651) 232-7000
- Fresenius Medical Care - Midway St Paul0.37 miles away1690 University Ave W Suite B - 100 Saint Paul Minnesota 55104Dialysis Stations: 22 (651) 917-0081
- Riverside Dialysis of Davita1.72 miles away1045 Westgate Drive Suite 90 Saint Paul Minnesota 55114Dialysis Stations: 20 (651) 645-1847
- U of Mn Med Ctr, Fairview - Dialysis2.9 miles away2450 Riverside Ave Kidney Center South Bldg Minneapolis Minnesota 55454Dialysis Stations: 11 (612) 365-3756
- Davita - Larpenteur Ave Dialysis2.92 miles away1739 Lexington Ave N Saint Paul Minnesota 55113Dialysis Stations: 12 (651) 489-9260
- Highland Park Dialysis of Davita3.22 miles away1559 7th St W Saint Paul Minnesota 55102Dialysis Stations: 12 (651) 222-7139
- Capitol Dialysis of Davita3.64 miles away555 Park St, Suite 230 Saint Paul Minnesota 55103Dialysis Stations: 16 (651) 221-3318
- Capitol Home Program of Davita - Hemo Unit3.64 miles away555 Park Street Suite 210, Hemo Unit Saint Paul Minnesota 55103Dialysis Stations: 4 (651) 221-0896
- St Paul Dialysis of Davita3.64 miles away555 Park St, Suite 180 Saint Paul Minnesota 55103CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (651) 291-8855