Episcopal Homes - The Gardens is located in Saint Paul, Minnesota. This city is one of the most densely populated cities in the nation with has a population of 753,116 people. With an overall grade of A, this is clearly an elite nursing home. We were so impressed with this facility that we ranked it in the top 20 percent of all facilities in the nation. This place also received very consistent scores in all four of the major categories we assessed. Additional information about its category grades can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Episcopal Homes - The Gardens
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Saint Paul senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with a favorable overall score, we gave this facility an A+ for inspections. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in computing these inspection scores. One of those factors is health deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of these deficiencies is arguably more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some can be relatively minor. While this facility had some deficiencies on its report, none were severe based on CMS' scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Adding to its first-rate achievements in other areas, we gave this facility a grade of A for our long-term care rating. Long-term care scores in this range generally require both around the clock care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine medical care. On top of looking at the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home provided the vaccine to 93.44978 percent of its residents. This is a few points lower than we anticipated but still a respectable figure. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Episcopal Homes - The Gardens?
Among its many impressive grades, this facility received an excellent nursing grade. In fact, we gave it a grade of A- in that category. Nursing scores are based in large part on levels of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place the nation in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can many times be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as by having a system of turning patients more frequently.
Short-term Care Quality
Moving on to our last category, this nursing home also performed admirably in our short-term care category. We gave it a B+ for that category. This completed a first-rate profile. In calculating our short-term care grades, we analyze a nursing home's levels of skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists speech therapists and other highly trained professionals. This rating is typically a useful measure of a nursing home's ability to rehabilitate patients. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. However, based on the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we looked at the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 0 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Episcopal Homes - The Gardens Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Episcopal Homes - The Gardens, 5.26% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are routinely the result of residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care minimizes the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Episcopal Homes - The Gardens, 3.06% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients that have had a major fall. Falls resulting in major injury are often caused by lower levels of patient supervision. Better nursing protocols limits the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Episcopal Homes - The Gardens, 0.44% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely linked to worse hygiene protocols. However, this metric could also be skewed for certain facilities due to different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Episcopal Homes - The Gardens, 10.81% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay patients which are administered antipsychotic drugs. Increased usage of these drugs may suggest a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents in scenarios where such drugs aren't medically required. Nevertheless, some nursing homes may need to rely more on these medications due to an increased number of patients with cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Episcopal Homes - The Gardens, 2.43% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were given antianxiety drugs. These medications are used to treat patients experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Episcopal Homes - The Gardens, 10.75% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care residents demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Episcopal Homes - The Gardens, 95.92% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Episcopal Homes - The Gardens, 13.24% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living could indicate decline of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Episcopal Homes - The Gardens, 21.07% of Residents
This indicates the percentage of residents that maintained mobility over time. Retaining mobility can be a good sign for residents' health.
In Episcopal Homes - The Gardens, 0.01 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Episcopal Homes - The Gardens, 21.07% of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Scores for Saint Paul, MN
- Overall Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Saint Paul, Minnesota has 13 other nursing homes
- University of Minnesota Medical Center, FairviewAcute Care Hospitals 2.97 miles away2450 Riverside Avenue Minneapolis Minnesota 55454Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 273-3000
- United HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.59 miles away333 North Smith Avenue Saint Paul Minnesota 55102Voluntary non-profit - Private(651) 241-8810
- Regions HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.04 miles away640 Jackson Street Saint Paul Minnesota 55101Voluntary non-profit - Private(651) 254-1616
- Abbott Northwestern HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.08 miles away800 East 28th Street Minneapolis Minnesota 55407Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 863-4457
- Children's Hospitals & Clinics of MnChildrens 4.09 miles away2525 Chicago Avenue South Minneapolis Minnesota 55404Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 813-6112
- Hennepin County Medical Center 1Acute Care Hospitals 4.25 miles away701 Park Avenue Minneapolis Minnesota 55415Government - Local(612) 873-3629
- North Memorial HealthAcute Care Hospitals 8.01 miles away3300 Oakdale North Minneapolis Minnesota 55422Voluntary non-profit - Private(763) 520-5200
- Healtheast St John's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.66 miles away1575 Beam Avenue Saint Paul Minnesota 55109Voluntary non-profit - Private(651) 232-7000
- Fresenius Medical Care - Midway St Paul0.37 miles away1690 University Ave W Suite B - 100 Saint Paul Minnesota 55104Dialysis Stations: 22 (651) 917-0081
- Riverside Dialysis of Davita1.72 miles away1045 Westgate Drive Suite 90 Saint Paul Minnesota 55114Dialysis Stations: 20 (651) 645-1847
- U of Mn Med Ctr, Fairview - Dialysis2.9 miles away2450 Riverside Ave Kidney Center South Bldg Minneapolis Minnesota 55454Dialysis Stations: 11 (612) 365-3756
- Davita - Larpenteur Ave Dialysis2.92 miles away1739 Lexington Ave N Saint Paul Minnesota 55113Dialysis Stations: 12 (651) 489-9260
- Highland Park Dialysis of Davita3.22 miles away1559 7th St W Saint Paul Minnesota 55102Dialysis Stations: 12 (651) 222-7139
- Capitol Dialysis of Davita3.64 miles away555 Park St, Suite 230 Saint Paul Minnesota 55103Dialysis Stations: 16 (651) 221-3318
- Capitol Home Program of Davita - Hemo Unit3.64 miles away555 Park Street Suite 210, Hemo Unit Saint Paul Minnesota 55103Dialysis Stations: 4 (651) 221-0896
- St Paul Dialysis of Davita3.64 miles away555 Park St, Suite 180 Saint Paul Minnesota 55103CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (651) 291-8855