With an address in San Jose, California, Empress Care Center is one of seven available facilities there. Sporting an overall rating of A-, this is undoubtedly a high quality facility. Based on our assessment, this place is a wonderful choice for most people. Scroll down to find this nursing home's category grades, which are also impressive. It is hard to poke holes in this place's profile.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Empress Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on San Jose senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A+ for its nursing grade. Nursing scores are heavily correlated with quality and quantity of nursing care. This facility provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can frequently be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Short-term Care Quality
Adding to its first-rate resume, this nursing home also received an excellent short-term care grade, with a score of A-. Short-term care grades are vital for people in need of rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually utilizes additional highly-skilled nursing. This means a vast range of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. However, based on the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final measure we looked at in this category is the number of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return home. We found that 0 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Empress Care Center?
In addition, this nursing home also excelled in the category of inspections, where it earned a grade of B+. Few facilities performed better in this area. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in computing our inspection ratings. One key factor is health deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some of these can be relatively insignificant. Although this nursing home had some deficiencies on its report, none were severe based on CMS' deficiency scale. The fact that none of the deficiencies were severe made us feel better about this inspection report.
Long-term Care Quality
The final category we analyzed is long-term care. In that category, we awarded this facility an above average grade of B. Nursing homes that do well in this category typically are well-staffed and provide extensive hands on care to patients. One of the criteria we considered in addition to nursing hours was vaccines. This nursing home provided the pneumonia vaccine to 100 percent of its patients. Vaccination is a reliable method to minimize negative health outcomes for the senior population. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Empress Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Empress Care Center, 6.31% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are routinely the result of residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing care can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Empress Care Center, 0% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of patients that have had a fall which resulted in serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Empress Care Center, 1.36% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections could be associated with poorer hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Empress Care Center, 4.8% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure tells you the percent of long-term residents that were given antipsychotic medication. Increased usage of these drugs may indicate that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents in scenarios where such drugs aren't medically indicated. Nevertheless, some facilities may need to rely on these medications due to having more patients with Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Empress Care Center, 4.65% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of patients given antianxiety drugs. These drugs are commonly given to residents suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Empress Care Center, 0% of Patients
This is the percent of residents who are showing depressive symptoms. Higher levels of depression may be a sign lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Empress Care Center, 100% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Empress Care Center, 10.06% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and eating. Many in the industry argue that this is a measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Empress Care Center, 22.37% of Residents
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care residents who retained mobility levels.
In Empress Care Center, 0.02 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Avoiding hospitalizations is key to maintaining the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Empress Care Center, 22.37% of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Empress Care Center, 12.65% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to measure patient well-being during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Empress Care Center, 81.8% of Resident
This is a measure of the percent of short-term patients that saw functional improvements.
Scores for San Jose, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? San Jose, California has 6 other nursing homes
- Santa Clara Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.83 miles away751 South Bascom Avenue San Jose California 95128Government - Local(408) 885-5000
- O'connor HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.78 miles away2105 Forest Avenue San Jose California 95128Voluntary non-profit - Private(408) 947-2500
- Good Samaritan HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.6 miles away2425 Samaritan Drive San Jose California 95124Proprietary(408) 559-2011
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital-Santa ClaraAcute Care Hospitals 4.25 miles away700 Lawrence Expressway Santa Clara California 95051Voluntary non-profit - Private(408) 236-6400
- Kaiser Permanente Psychiatric Health Facility-SantPsychiatric 4.56 miles away3840 Homestead Road Santa Clara California 95051Proprietary(408) 851-4850
- Regional Medical Center of San JoseAcute Care Hospitals 6.18 miles away225 N Jackson Avenue San Jose California 95116Government - Federal(408) 259-5000
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital-San JoseAcute Care Hospitals 8.4 miles away250 Hospital Parkway San Jose California 95119Voluntary non-profit - Private(408) 972-7000
- El Camino HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.35 miles away2500 Grant Road Mountain View California 94040Government - Hospital District or Authority(650) 940-7000
- Satellite Healthcare San Jose0.66 miles away888 South Bascom Avenue San Jose California 95128CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (408) 855-6900
- Santa Clara Valley Renal Care Center1 miles away2220 Moorpark Avenue San Jose California 95128CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (408) 885-5730
- Wellbound of San Jose LLC1.02 miles away1525 Meridian Avenue Suite 101 San Jose California 95125Dialysis Stations: 4 (408) 269-3600
- Cornerhouse Dialysis Center1.82 miles away2005 Naglee Avenue San Jose California 95128Dialysis Stations: 16 (408) 998-0183
- Satellite Dialysis Stevens Creek2.98 miles away4360-a Stevens Creek Blvd San Jose California 95129CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 42 (408) 517-5777
- Stevens Creek Dialysis Center3.04 miles away275 Di Salvo Ave San Jose California 95128CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (408) 297-0103
- San Jose at Home3.1 miles away4400 Stevens Creek Blvd. Suite 50 San Jose California 95129Dialysis Stations: 4 (408) 985-2011
- Fmc Los Gatos3.18 miles away14651 South Bascom Suite 100 Los Gatos California 95032CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (408) 358-3791