Empress Care Center is a small facility in San Jose, California. Sporting an overall score of B-, this appears to be a middle of the pack facility. Despite San Jose having 19 other nursing homes to select from, this nursing home turns out to be a respectable selection. One of the highlights of this nursing home's report card is its impressive inspection grade, which we will address in the next paragraph.
Empress Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Registered Staff Hours
We would like to point out that this facility's inspection score exceeded its overall score. This facility earned a B+ in this category, which is one of our better grades. Perhaps the most important factor we look at in calculating our inspection ratings is deficiencies. Deficiencies are found on a nursing home's inspection reports. Nursing homes with better grades in this category typically dodged the more severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. Although this nursing home had a few deficiencies on its inspection report, none of them were serious based on CMS' scale. The fact that the deficiencies were relatively minor leaves us less concerned with this inspection report.
One of the other reasons we graded this facility so highly is that it earned a very impressive nursing grade. In fact, nursing turned out to be its second best category grade. In that area, we awarded this nursing home an B. Nursing grades are heavily correlated with quantity of nursing care available. This nursing home averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can typically be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Empress Care Center?
Long-term Care Quality
The next highest area we gave this facility in any area came in the category of long-term care, where we awarded it a B-. In a long-term care setting, the nursing home's primary objective is to maintain patients' quality of life and keep them safe. One of the factors we considered after nursing hours was vaccines. Fortunately, this nursing home administered the pneumonia vaccine to 100 percent of its patients. Finally, this nursing home was also able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Short-term Care Quality
The last category we analyzed was short-term care. We gave it a grade of C in that category. This is basically a middle of the road grade in this category. Our short-term care grade is often used to grade a facility's performance with rehabilitation. In order to provide high-end rehabilitation services, facilities generally need to feature higher levels of highly skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, respiratory therapists and other highly trained professionals. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. However, based on the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last item we looked at in this area is the number of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return home. We discovered that just 0 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home, which is below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Empress Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Empress Care Center, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure is an indication of the percentage of long-term care patients that are suffering from pressure ulcers . We factor in this statistic in computing both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Empress Care Center, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of patients who suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to major injury are often associated with lower quality nursing care. Closer supervision minimizes the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Empress Care Center, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This figure tells you the percent of long-term residents that have had a UTI. UTI's may be an indication of poor nursing care. Nevertheless, this datapoint could be skewed for certain nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Empress Care Center, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are prescribed to residents for a variety of conditions, such as cognitive disorders. Sadly, in some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Empress Care Center, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of residents who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are prescribed to patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Empress Care Center, 4.64% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term patients who are demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Empress Care Center, 95.44% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term patients that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home residents, making these types of vaccines critical to patient well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Empress Care Center, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Empress Care Center, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of residents that remained mobile levels over time. Retaining mobility is often a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Empress Care Center, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. There is a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Empress Care Center, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Empress Care Center, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Empress Care Center, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percentage of short-term stay residents that saw functional improvements.
Scores for San Jose, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? San Jose, California has 18 other nursing homes
- Santa Clara Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.83 miles away751 South Bascom Avenue San Jose California 95128Government - Local(408) 885-5000
- O'connor HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.78 miles away2105 Forest Avenue San Jose California 95128Voluntary non-profit - Private(408) 947-2500
- Good Samaritan HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.6 miles away2425 Samaritan Drive San Jose California 95124Proprietary(408) 559-2011
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital-Santa ClaraAcute Care Hospitals 4.25 miles away700 Lawrence Expressway Santa Clara California 95051Voluntary non-profit - Private(408) 236-6400
- Kaiser Permanente Psychiatric Health Facility-SantPsychiatric 4.56 miles away3840 Homestead Road Santa Clara California 95051Proprietary(408) 851-4850
- Regional Medical Center of San JoseAcute Care Hospitals 6.18 miles away225 N Jackson Avenue San Jose California 95116Government - Federal(408) 259-5000
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital-San JoseAcute Care Hospitals 8.4 miles away250 Hospital Parkway San Jose California 95119Voluntary non-profit - Private(408) 972-7000
- El Camino HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.35 miles away2500 Grant Road Mountain View California 94040Government - Hospital District or Authority(650) 940-7000
- Satellite Healthcare San Jose0.66 miles away888 South Bascom Avenue San Jose California 95128CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (408) 855-6900
- Santa Clara Valley Renal Care Center1 miles away2220 Moorpark Avenue San Jose California 95128CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (408) 885-5730
- Wellbound of San Jose LLC1.02 miles away1525 Meridian Avenue Suite 101 San Jose California 95125Dialysis Stations: 4 (408) 269-3600
- Cornerhouse Dialysis Center1.82 miles away2005 Naglee Avenue San Jose California 95128Dialysis Stations: 16 (408) 998-0183
- Satellite Dialysis Stevens Creek2.98 miles away4360-a Stevens Creek Blvd San Jose California 95129CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 42 (408) 517-5777
- Stevens Creek Dialysis Center3.04 miles away275 Di Salvo Ave San Jose California 95128CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (408) 297-0103
- San Jose at Home3.1 miles away4400 Stevens Creek Blvd. Suite 50 San Jose California 95129Dialysis Stations: 4 (408) 985-2011
- Fmc Los Gatos3.18 miles away14651 South Bascom Suite 100 Los Gatos California 95032CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (408) 358-3791