Empres Post Acute Rehabilitation is a facility in Petaluma, California. This city has a population of 70,223 people. We gave this nursing home a C overall, which is not a bad grade. This is comparable with the city grade in Petaluma, which is a B-. You could definitely do worse than this facility. We were also pleased to find that this facility was consistent in all four of the other areas we looked at. Additional information about its category grades is available below.
Empres Post Acute Rehabilitation
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
This facility's nursing grade is more impressive than its overall score. With a strong performance in this area, it received a quality score in that category with a grade of B+. The nursing rating features several factors. The most important one is the amount of time nurses spent with patients. This particular nursing home provided 0 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place California in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can many times be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as by employing a policy of moving patients even once per day.
Short-term Care Quality
The next best area we gave this nursing home in any area came in the category of short-term care, where we awarded it a grade of B-. In calculating our short-term care ratings, we assess a facility's levels of skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists respiratory therapists and other highly trained professionals. This rating is considered to be a solid assessment of a facility's ability to rehabilitate patients. Unfortunately, we found that this nursing home provided fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other facilities. The tricky part is determining what bearing this had on the quality of care. The final measure we assessed in this category is the percentage of residents that returned home from the facility. We found that just 4.4 percent of this facility's residents returned home. This figure was below the national average.
Does this page answer your questions about Empres Post Acute Rehabilitation?
Looking to our inspection category, we gave this nursing home a grade of C. Our inspection grades are based on the facility's health inspection reports. We believe that one of the most critical factors in evaluating an inspection report is deficiencies. We especially focus on the severity of those deficiencies. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Unfortunately, we also need to draw your attention to the fact that this facility received significant government fines in recent years.
Long-term Care Quality
The next area we graded was long-term care. This nursing home received a C in this category. Our long-term care scores are based in part on the facility's amount of nursing care. This means a broad scope of personal care services, ranging from help with activities of daily living to routine healthcare services. After we finished looking at the volume of care provided by nurses, we then looked at the nursing home's vaccination data. We were pleased to find that this nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its residents against pneumonia. This facility was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Empres Post Acute Rehabilitation Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Empres Post Acute Rehabilitation, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic measures the percent of long-term care residents that suffer from new or worsened pressure ulcers . We factor in this statistic in computing our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Empres Post Acute Rehabilitation, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of residents who suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to severe injuries are routinely the result of lower quality nursing care. Additional nurse staffing can minimize the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Empres Post Acute Rehabilitation, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of patients who have had a urinary tract infection. These infections may be linked to poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Empres Post Acute Rehabilitation, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint indicates the percentage of long-term stay residents that were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Increased usage of these drugs may indicate a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents in situations where such drugs are not medically indicated. However, some nursing homes may need to rely more on these medications due to having more residents with dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Empres Post Acute Rehabilitation, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This measures the percent of long-term residents taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Empres Post Acute Rehabilitation, 4.33% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term stay patients exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Empres Post Acute Rehabilitation, 95.72% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Empres Post Acute Rehabilitation, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Empres Post Acute Rehabilitation, 14.05% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term residents that retained mobility levels.
In Empres Post Acute Rehabilitation, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Empres Post Acute Rehabilitation, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Empres Post Acute Rehabilitation, 9.85 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Empres Post Acute Rehabilitation, 79.63% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of short-term residents that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some experts would argue that this is a reasonable measure of rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Petaluma, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-minus
Looking for more options? Petaluma, California has 4 other nursing homes
- Petaluma Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.86 miles away400 N Mcdowell Blvd Petaluma California 94954Voluntary non-profit - Other(707) 778-1111
- Novato Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.21 miles away180 Rowland Way Novato California 94945Voluntary non-profit - Other(415) 209-1300
- Sonoma Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.43 miles away347 Andrieux St Sonoma California 95476Government - Hospital District or Authority(707) 935-5000
- Sonoma Specialty HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.27 miles away501 Petaluma Avenue Sebastopol California 95472Government - Local(707) 823-8511
- Santa Rosa Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.34 miles away1165 Montgomery Dr Santa Rosa California 95405Voluntary non-profit - Private(707) 525-5300
- Kaiser Foundation HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.4 miles away99 Montecillo Rd San Rafael California 94903Voluntary non-profit - Private(415) 444-2000
- Aurora Behavioral Healthcare-Santa Rosa, LLCPsychiatric 17.02 miles away1287 Fulton Road Santa Rosa California 95401Proprietary(707) 800-7700
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital-Santa RosaAcute Care Hospitals 17.49 miles away401 Bicentennial Way Santa Rosa California 95403Voluntary non-profit - Private(707) 571-4000
- Davita Petaluma River Dialysis1.87 miles away417 N Mcdowell Blvd, Suite 30 Petaluma California 94954Dialysis Stations: 24 (707) 773-1293
- Fmc Petaluma2.03 miles away715 South Point Blvd., Suite A Petaluma California 94954CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (707) 765-9379
- Satellite Dialysis Rohnert Park9.27 miles away6265 Commerce Blvd Suite 156 Rohnert Park California 94928CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (707) 303-2040
- Satellite Dialysis Santa Rosa14.85 miles away2301 Circadian Way #C Santa Rosa California 95407CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 48 (707) 526-0717
- Bma Santa Rosa15.34 miles away1020 Second Street Santa Rosa California 95404CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (707) 527-5350
- Northgate Dialysis Center16.45 miles away650 Las Gallinas Road San Rafael California 94903CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (415) 444-0376
- San Rafael Dialysis18.88 miles away1415 3rd Street San Rafael California 94901Dialysis Stations: 24 (415) 453-4437
- Napa Dialysis Center19.21 miles away3900-C Bel Aire Plaza #C Napa California 94558CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (707) 253-8938