Empres Post Acute Rehabilitation is a facility in Petaluma, California. This city has a population of 70,223 people. Our scoring system was not kind to this nursing home, as we gave it an overall score of F. If you are not happy with this facility's poor overall grade, you may find your options to be limited in Petaluma. The city has just one other nursing home. We would not blame you if you're ready to stop reading and find another nursing home. However, if you want to learn more about this place's category grades, we will discuss long-term care in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Empres Post Acute Rehabilitation
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Petaluma senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
Unfortunately, we did not have any positive things to say about this nursing home's overall grade or its category grades. Its best category is long-term care. Nevertheless, with a D in this area, it still performed badly. In a long-term care setting, the primary goal is to keep patients as healthy and safe as possible. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate residents. On top of looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. Fortunately, this nursing home administered the vaccine to 97.46377 percent of its patients, which is an above average percentage. To our surprise, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this nursing home had fewer hospitalizations than the majority of nursing homes. Unfortunately, some of its other scores in this category weren't as favorable as these.
Sadly, this facility's second best category was inspections, but even there it received a grade of just D. This is still a well below average grade. Inspection ratings account for several factors found on a nursing home's inspection report. One key criteria we weigh heavily is the number and severity of deficiencies. This facility had a deficiency on its inspection report. Fortunately, it was not in one of the categories that suggest that it created a risk to patient safety or health. Lastly, we also need to point out that this nursing home received significant government fines of over $50,000. This typically indicates that CMS inspectors became fed up after several years of failed health inspections.
Does this page answer your questions about Empres Post Acute Rehabilitation?
We also wanted to draw your attention to this facility's poor nursing grade where it received an F. We analyzed the licensure of nurses working for the nursing home, in addition to the quantity of hours those nurses worked with patients, in calculating our grade in this area. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in calculating our nursing ratings. This nursing home performed well in the area of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls.
Short-term Care Quality
The last category we rated was short-term care. This nursing home received an abysmal grade of F in this area. Our short-term care grades are probably more critical for patients needing rehabilitation from their nursing home. Rehabilitation typically utilizes higher levels of highly-skilled nursing services. This includes not merely nursing, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other forms of therapy. Not surprisingly, we found that this nursing home provides far less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the average facility. Lastly, we looked at the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. This wasn't a strength for this facility. We found that just 5.1 percent of this facility's patients returned home. At most nursing homes, around half of their residents are able to return home so this is well below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Empres Post Acute Rehabilitation Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Empres Post Acute Rehabilitation, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage resulting from staying in one position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Empres Post Acute Rehabilitation, 1.84% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric tells you the percentage of long-term care residents who suffered falls resulting in severe injury. This is one of the statistics we use in computing our nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Empres Post Acute Rehabilitation, 1.34% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many experts to be an indicator of nursing care . UTI's are routinely the result of a facility with worst hygiene practices. Nevertheless, this statistic can also be skewed for some nursing homes due to different reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Empres Post Acute Rehabilitation, 10.3% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure indicates the percent of long-term stay residents who were prescribed antipsychotic medication. Increased usage of these drugs may indicate that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents in situations where such medications aren't medically indicated. However, some facilities need to rely on these medications due to an increased number of residents suffering from Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Empres Post Acute Rehabilitation, 13.84% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of patients who were prescribed antianxiety medications. These drugs are generally prescribed to patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Empres Post Acute Rehabilitation, 5.83% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients demonstrating signs of depression. Increased rates of depression could indicate worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Empres Post Acute Rehabilitation, 95.65% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Empres Post Acute Rehabilitation, 8.26% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and eating.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Empres Post Acute Rehabilitation, 10.41% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents that were able to retain mobility. Some experts believe that the ability to move around is important for residents' well-being.
In Empres Post Acute Rehabilitation, 1.78 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Empres Post Acute Rehabilitation, 10.41 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Empres Post Acute Rehabilitation, 11.34 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Empres Post Acute Rehabilitation, 79.12% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percentage of short-term stay patients that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some experts believe that this is a reasonable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation performance.
- Petaluma Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.86 miles away400 N Mcdowell Blvd Petaluma California 94954Voluntary non-profit - Other(707) 778-1111
- Novato Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.21 miles away180 Rowland Way Novato California 94945Voluntary non-profit - Other(415) 209-1300
- Sonoma Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.43 miles away347 Andrieux St Sonoma California 95476Government - Hospital District or Authority(707) 935-5000
- Sonoma Specialty HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.27 miles away501 Petaluma Avenue Sebastopol California 95472Government - Local(707) 823-8511
- Santa Rosa Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.34 miles away1165 Montgomery Dr Santa Rosa California 95405Voluntary non-profit - Private(707) 525-5300
- Kaiser Foundation HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.4 miles away99 Montecillo Rd San Rafael California 94903Voluntary non-profit - Private(415) 444-2000
- Aurora Behavioral Healthcare-Santa Rosa, LLCPsychiatric 17.02 miles away1287 Fulton Road Santa Rosa California 95401Proprietary(707) 800-7700
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital-Santa RosaAcute Care Hospitals 17.49 miles away401 Bicentennial Way Santa Rosa California 95403Voluntary non-profit - Private(707) 571-4000
- Davita Petaluma River Dialysis1.87 miles away417 N Mcdowell Blvd, Suite 30 Petaluma California 94954Dialysis Stations: 24 (707) 773-1293
- Fmc Petaluma2.03 miles away715 South Point Blvd., Suite A Petaluma California 94954CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (707) 765-9379
- Satellite Dialysis Rohnert Park9.27 miles away6265 Commerce Blvd Suite 156 Rohnert Park California 94928CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (707) 303-2040
- Satellite Dialysis Santa Rosa14.85 miles away2301 Circadian Way #C Santa Rosa California 95407CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 48 (707) 526-0717
- Bma Santa Rosa15.34 miles away1020 Second Street Santa Rosa California 95404CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (707) 527-5350
- Northgate Dialysis Center16.45 miles away650 Las Gallinas Road San Rafael California 94903CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (415) 444-0376
- San Rafael Dialysis18.88 miles away1415 3rd Street San Rafael California 94901Dialysis Stations: 24 (415) 453-4437
- Napa Dialysis Center19.21 miles away3900-C Bel Aire Plaza #C Napa California 94558CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (707) 253-8938