Empres Post Acute Rehabilitation is a facility in Petaluma, California. This city has a population of 70,223 people. With an overall rating of D, this is a well below average nursing home. Based on our assessment, this facility likely isn't the best fit for most prospective residents. The best thing we can say about this facility is that it did not receive any F's in any of the categories we assessed. Additional information about these categories is available below.
Empres Post Acute Rehabilitation
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
Registered Staff Hours
While we did not have many favorable things to say about this facility's overall grade, it did receive a respectable nursing grade of B-. Nursing ratings are based largely on quantity of nursing care available. This facility provided just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident daily. This figure is significantly below average. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this nursing home excelled in some of the quality measures we assessed. In fact, it scored well in the area of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers.
Long-term Care Quality
One of this nursing home's more respectable category scores was in the category of long-term care. This proved to be its second best category. In that category, we gave this facility a grade of B-. If you are looking for anything other than short-term rehabilitation, you should take a close look at long-term care grades. On top of assessing the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility provided the vaccine to 99.66997 percent of its residents. Lastly, this place was also able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Empres Post Acute Rehabilitation?
This facility received slightly below average government inspections in recent years. We gave them a grade of C in this category. We would argue that one of the most critical factors in evaluating an inspection report is deficiencies. We especially focus on the severity of those deficiencies. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Unfortunately, we also need to draw your attention to the fact that this facility received significant government fines in recent years.
Short-term Care Quality
The next area we rated is short-term care. We awarded it a C in that area. This is not a bad grade in this area. Our short-term care ratings are vital for residents requiring rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically utilizes higher levels of skilled nursing. This means a broad spectrum of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other types of therapy. Unfortunately, this facility was below average in terms of its number of registered nurse and physical therapy hours provided to its residents based on the measures we assessed. The important question is whether this also impacted quality of care. The last datapoint we looked at in this category is the percentage of patients who were able to leave the facility and return home. We discovered that just 5.1 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home, which is below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Empres Post Acute Rehabilitation Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Empres Post Acute Rehabilitation, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are often the result of patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Empres Post Acute Rehabilitation, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric indicates the percent of long-term patients which suffered falls resulting in serious injury. We use this statistic in calculating our nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Empres Post Acute Rehabilitation, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely the result of worse hygiene protocols. Better nursing care can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. We want to point out that this statistic is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have incongruent reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Empres Post Acute Rehabilitation, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint indicates the percentage of long-term stay residents that were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Increased usage of these drugs may indicate a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents in situations where such drugs are not medically indicated. However, some nursing homes may need to rely more on these medications due to having more residents with dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Empres Post Acute Rehabilitation, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This measures the percent of long-term residents taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Empres Post Acute Rehabilitation, 4.64% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term stay patients exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Empres Post Acute Rehabilitation, 95.44% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Empres Post Acute Rehabilitation, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Empres Post Acute Rehabilitation, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term residents that retained mobility levels.
In Empres Post Acute Rehabilitation, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Empres Post Acute Rehabilitation, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Empres Post Acute Rehabilitation, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Empres Post Acute Rehabilitation, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of short-term residents that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some experts would argue that this is a reasonable measure of rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Petaluma, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Petaluma, California has 4 other nursing homes
- Petaluma Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.86 miles away400 N Mcdowell Blvd Petaluma California 94954Voluntary non-profit - Other(707) 778-1111
- Novato Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.21 miles away180 Rowland Way Novato California 94945Voluntary non-profit - Other(415) 209-1300
- Sonoma Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.43 miles away347 Andrieux St Sonoma California 95476Government - Hospital District or Authority(707) 935-5000
- Sonoma Specialty HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.27 miles away501 Petaluma Avenue Sebastopol California 95472Government - Local(707) 823-8511
- Santa Rosa Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.34 miles away1165 Montgomery Dr Santa Rosa California 95405Voluntary non-profit - Private(707) 525-5300
- Kaiser Foundation HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.4 miles away99 Montecillo Rd San Rafael California 94903Voluntary non-profit - Private(415) 444-2000
- Aurora Behavioral Healthcare-Santa Rosa, LLCPsychiatric 17.02 miles away1287 Fulton Road Santa Rosa California 95401Proprietary(707) 800-7700
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital-Santa RosaAcute Care Hospitals 17.49 miles away401 Bicentennial Way Santa Rosa California 95403Voluntary non-profit - Private(707) 571-4000
- Davita Petaluma River Dialysis1.87 miles away417 N Mcdowell Blvd, Suite 30 Petaluma California 94954Dialysis Stations: 24 (707) 773-1293
- Fmc Petaluma2.03 miles away715 South Point Blvd., Suite A Petaluma California 94954CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (707) 765-9379
- Satellite Dialysis Rohnert Park9.27 miles away6265 Commerce Blvd Suite 156 Rohnert Park California 94928CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (707) 303-2040
- Satellite Dialysis Santa Rosa14.85 miles away2301 Circadian Way #C Santa Rosa California 95407CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 48 (707) 526-0717
- Bma Santa Rosa15.34 miles away1020 Second Street Santa Rosa California 95404CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (707) 527-5350
- Northgate Dialysis Center16.45 miles away650 Las Gallinas Road San Rafael California 94903CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (415) 444-0376
- San Rafael Dialysis18.88 miles away1415 3rd Street San Rafael California 94901Dialysis Stations: 24 (415) 453-4437
- Napa Dialysis Center19.21 miles away3900-C Bel Aire Plaza #C Napa California 94558CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (707) 253-8938