Emerald North Nursing and Rehabilitation Center turns out to be one of a variety of available nursing homes to decide among in Buffalo, New York. This nursing home received an overall grade of D, which is a lower end rating. We ranked this in the bottom half of nursing homes in Buffalo. In a city with many other nursing homes, you ought to be able to find a better option. The only positive thing we can really say about this facility is that it didn't receive any F's in any of the categories we assessed. More information about its category grades can be found below.
Emerald North Nursing and Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
While we were not high on this nursing home's overall grade, it received a very impressive inspection report this year. In fact, it received a nearly flawless inspection report this year. As a result, it received one of our highest grades in that category with an A. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in calculating these inspection scores. One critical factor is deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some deficiencies are quite insignificant. This place was hit with 3 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe. This means that the inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies to create an imminent risk to resident safety or health. A couple minor deficiencies are not necessarily the end of the world.
Short-term Care Quality
This facilities next best area was short-term care. We gave it a grade of C in this category. This is essentially a slightly below average grade in this area. Our short-term care grade is generally used to score a facility's performance with rehabilitation. In order to offer quality rehabilitation services, facilities generally need to provide better levels of skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, speech therapists and other highly trained professionals. In this place's case, we were surprised to learn that it actually provides less registered nurse and physical therapist hours per patient than a typical facility. Lastly, we assessed the number of patients who ultimately were able to return home from this facility. We found that 4.8 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home. This figure was well below the national average.
Does this page answer your questions about Emerald North Nursing and Rehabilitation Center?
Long-term Care Quality
We gave this facility a grade of just D for our long-term care rating. This is well below average in this category. Nursing homes that don't fare well in this category typically are not as well-staffed and are lagging in a few of the areas of routine medical care we assessed. On top of considering the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home vaccinated 87.22044 percent of its residents. This is several points less than what we were hoping for. Surprisingly, this facility was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this facility has less hospitalizations than many nursing homes. This is its best score in this category.
This nursing home's weakest category was nursing, which is the final area we looked at. For this category, we awarded this nursing home a grade of just D. Our nursing score analyzes a handful of factors, most of which are based on nursing hours. This place averaged just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident daily. This figure is far below average. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in computing our nursing ratings. This facility fared well when it comes to minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. Many consider these areas to be indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Emerald North Nursing and Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Emerald North Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 9.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure is an indication of the percentage of long-term care residents which developed pressure ulcers. We have found that pressure ulcers are a solid indicator of quality of care.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Emerald North Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic indicates the percent of long-term stay patients who had a fall which caused major injury. We use this statistic in calculating our nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Emerald North Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 2.08% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents that sustained UTI's. UTI's may be a sign of a facility with worst hygiene practices. However, this statistic could be misleading for some nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Emerald North Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 11.61% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients prescribed antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many patients, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited situations, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Emerald North Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 13.28% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of residents given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are given to residents suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Emerald North Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 13.6% of Patients
This is the percent of patients demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Emerald North Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 91.89% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Emerald North Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 14.66% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Emerald North Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 18.82% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of residents that remained mobile levels over time. Preserving mobility is usually a great sign for residents' health.
In Emerald North Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 1.2 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Emerald North Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 18.82 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Emerald North Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 8.77 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Emerald North Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 74.71% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percent of short-term patients that saw functional improvements.
Scores for Buffalo, NY
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Buffalo, New York has 19 other nursing homes
- Kaleida HealthAcute Care Hospitals 1.16 miles away100 High Street Buffalo New York 14210Voluntary non-profit - Private(716) 859-8620
- Sisters of Charity HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.29 miles away2157 Main Street Buffalo New York 14214Voluntary non-profit - Private(716) 862-1000
- Erie County Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.13 miles away462 Grider Street Buffalo New York 14215Voluntary non-profit - Private(716) 898-3936
- Kenmore Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.28 miles away2950 Elmwood Avenue Buffalo New York 14217Voluntary non-profit - Church(716) 447-6100
- Mercy Hospital of BuffaloAcute Care Hospitals 5.56 miles away565 Abbott Road Buffalo New York 14220Voluntary non-profit - Private(716) 826-7000
- Western Ny Childrens Psychiatric CenterPsychiatric 8.47 miles away1010 East & West Road Buffalo New York 14224Government - State(716) 677-7000
- Niagara Falls Memorial Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 15.24 miles away621 Tenth Street Niagara Falls New York 14302Voluntary non-profit - Other(716) 278-4000
- Mount St Mary's Hospital and Health CenterAcute Care Hospitals 18.38 miles away5300 Military Road Lewiston New York 14092Voluntary non-profit - Church(716) 297-4800
- Davita Buffalo Downtown Dialysis1.68 miles away520 Ellicott St Suite 100 Buffalo New York 14203Dialysis Stations: 13 (716) 845-5101
- Erie County Medical Center1.99 miles away462 Grider Street Dialysis Unit Buffalo New York 14215Dialysis Stations: 36 (716) 898-1400
- Us Renal Care West Cheektowaga2.17 miles away2861 Harlem Road Buffalo New York 14225CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (716) 891-7429
- Liberty Rc, Inc.2.23 miles away699 Hertel Ave Buffalo New York 14207Dialysis Stations: 17 (716) 871-4172
- Fms-Kenmore Artificial Kidney Center2.93 miles away1508 Sheridan Drive Buffalo New York 14217CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (716) 871-9988
- Oishei Children's Hospital of Buffalo3.5 miles awayHemodialysis Unit 818 Ellicott Street Buffalo New York 14203Dialysis Stations: 4 (716) 323-1765
- Davita Cleve Hill Dialysis Center3.8 miles away1461 Kensington Avenue Buffalo New York 14215CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (716) 831-8892
- Us Renal Care Amherst Dialysis4.99 miles away2880, Sheridan Dr Tonawanda New York 14150Dialysis Stations: 13 (716) 541-9165