Emerald Care Center Tulsa is in Tulsa, Oklahoma. This city is among the most populated metropolitan areas in the country with has 413,574 people. Our scoring scheme was not kind to this nursing home, as we gave it an overall rating of F. This nursing home doesn't seem to have much going for it. We wouldn't blame you if you're ready to stop reading and find another nursing home. However, if you want to learn more about this place's category grades, we will discuss long-term care in the next section.
Emerald Care Center Tulsa
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
2425 South Memorial,
Tulsa OK 74129
51.18% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
- Oncology Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
Unfortunately, we didn't have any positive things to say about this nursing home's overall grade or its category grades. Its best category is long-term care. Nevertheless, with a D in this category, it still performed badly. Facilities that do not fare well in this category often do not provide as much nursing care and also may be lagging in some of the areas of routine medical care we looked at. One of the statistics we considered on top of nurse's aid hours was vaccinations. Frankly, we were a bit bothered by the fact that this nursing home administered the pneumonia vaccination to only 83 percent of its patients. Surprisingly, this nursing home was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this facility has fewer hospitalizations than the average nursing home. This was its best score in this category.
Unfortunately, this nursing home received an F for its inspection rating. This is a particularly important category. Grades in this range typically point to some red flags on the facility's inspection reports. When a facility has this poor of an inspection rating, you should look for severe deficiencies on its inspection report. Severe deficiencies indicate a threat to the well being of residents. This particular facility had 5 deficiencies by government inspectors. The only favorable thing we found is that none of its deficiencies were in the categories that indicate they posed a threat to resident health or safety. Finally, we also want to point out that this nursing home received large government fines in recent years of over $100,000. This often signifies that a facility'spoor performance has been an issue for several years.
Does this page answer your questions about Emerald Care Center Tulsa?
Short-term Care Quality
Sadly, this facility received an F for its short-term care grade. Our short-term care grades are arguably more important for folks in need of rehabilitation from their nursing home. Rehabilitation typically requires higher levels of highly-skilled nursing services. This means not merely nursing services, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other types of therapy. With its weak score in this area, we were not shocked to learn that this nursing home offers substantially fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most facilities. Lastly, we considered the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that just 4.7 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Moving on to the final category, this nursing home really didn't perform well in this area either. Due to an abysmal grade of F in nursing, this is really as bad as it gets. Nursing scores are based in large part on levels of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This place fared well in terms of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these metrics to be indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Emerald Care Center Tulsa Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Emerald Care Center Tulsa, 8.97% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage due to staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Emerald Care Center Tulsa, 4.39% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients that sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in major injuries are considered to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . Falls which result in injury are often the result of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Emerald Care Center Tulsa, 3.49% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely caused by nursing homes with worse hygiene protocols. Better hygiene protocols reduces the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. We want to point out that this metric is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have different reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Emerald Care Center Tulsa, 14.15% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of residents given antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many patients, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Emerald Care Center Tulsa, 24.47% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are prescribed to patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Emerald Care Center Tulsa, 3.91% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients showing symptoms of depression. High levels of depression could be an indicator a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Emerald Care Center Tulsa, 92.49% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients that were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Emerald Care Center Tulsa, 14.12% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay patients that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and continence.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Emerald Care Center Tulsa, 14.93% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of patients who remained mobile levels over time. Optimizing mobility can be a great sign for residents' health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Emerald Care Center Tulsa, 14.93 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Emerald Care Center Tulsa, 14.86 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Emerald Care Center Tulsa, 71.57% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of short-term stay patients who saw functional improvements.
Scores for Tulsa, OK
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Tulsa, Oklahoma has 19 other nursing homes
- Shadow Mountain Behavioral Health SystemPsychiatric 3.92 miles away6262 South Sheridan Road Tulsa Oklahoma 74133Proprietary(918) 492-8200
- Saint Francis Hospital, IncAcute Care Hospitals 4.23 miles away6161 South Yale Tulsa Oklahoma 74136Voluntary non-profit - Private(918) 494-2200
- St John Medical Center, IncAcute Care Hospitals 4.54 miles away1923 South Utica Avenue Tulsa Oklahoma 74104Voluntary non-profit - Private(918) 744-3131
- Hillcrest Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.7 miles away1120 South Utica Avenue Tulsa Oklahoma 74104Proprietary(918) 579-1000
- Parkside, IncPsychiatric 4.76 miles away1619 East 13th Street Tulsa Oklahoma 74120Voluntary non-profit - Private(918) 582-2131
- Southwestern Regional Medical Center, IncAcute Care Hospitals 5.73 miles away10109 East 79th Street Tulsa Oklahoma 74133Proprietary(918) 286-5000
- St John Broken Arrow, IncAcute Care Hospitals 5.89 miles away1000 West Boise Circle Broken Arrow Oklahoma 74012Voluntary non-profit - Private(918) 994-8100
- Hillcrest Hospital SouthAcute Care Hospitals 6.41 miles away8801 South 101st East Avenue Tulsa Oklahoma 74133Proprietary(918) 294-4000
- Fmcna - East Tulsa3.41 miles away5147 S Garnett Rd Ste C Tulsa Oklahoma 74146CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (918) 250-3427
- Davita - Tulsa Dialysis3.57 miles away4436 S Harvard Ave Tulsa Oklahoma 74135Dialysis Stations: 20 (918) 660-0571
- St Francis Hospital-Dialysis4.13 miles away6161 S Yale Ave Tulsa Oklahoma 74136CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (918) 494-5575
- Fmcna - Richard Medlock4.32 miles away2845 E Skelly Dr Tulsa Oklahoma 74105CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (918) 747-7127
- Fmcna - North Harvard4.56 miles away1515 N Harvard Ste D Tulsa Oklahoma 74115CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (918) 835-5599
- Davita - Central Tulsa4.92 miles away1124 S St Louis Ave Tulsa Oklahoma 74120CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (918) 585-5557
- Davita - Southcrest5.86 miles away10921 East 81st St Tulsa Oklahoma 74133CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (918) 249-8402
- Davita - Greenwood Dialysis6.15 miles away1345 N Lansing Ave Tulsa Oklahoma 74106CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (918) 585-8811