Emerald Care Center Tulsa is in Tulsa, Oklahoma. This city is among the most populated metropolitan areas in the country with has 413,574 people. Our scoring scheme was not kind to this nursing home, as we gave it an overall rating of F. This nursing home doesn't seem to have much going for it. We wouldn't blame you if you're ready to stop reading and find another nursing home. However, if you want to learn more about this place's category grades, we will discuss short-term care in the next section.
Emerald Care Center Tulsa
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
- Oncology Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
While we graded this facility incredibly poorly overall, it received a decent short-term care grade this year. We gave it a B- in that area, which was the closest thing to a bright spot we found for this nursing home. Our short-term care scores are arguably more meaningful for those needing rehabilitation services. Rehabilitation generally utilizes higher levels of skilled nursing. This means not just nursing, but also physical and occupational therapy, as well as other forms of therapy. In this facility's case, we were surprised to learn that it actually provides less registered nurse and physical therapist hours per patient than a typical facility. The hope is that this does not adversely affect the quality of care. The last measure we considered in this area is the percentage of patients who ultimately returned home from the nursing home. We found that just 6 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Long-term Care Quality
We were also pleasantly surprised to find that this facility earned a solid long-term care score in our assessment. We gave it a C in this category. If you are looking for services other than short-term rehabilitation, you should take a close look at long-term care grades. On top of assessing the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home vaccinated 92.46231 percent of its residents. This is slightly less than we expected but still a respectable percentage. Nevertheless, this nursing home was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Emerald Care Center Tulsa?
Sadly, this facility received a grade of just D in our inspection category. This is well below average grade. Our inspection ratings account for several factors found on a nursing home's inspection report. One key criteria we rely on is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. This particular facility was assessed 5 deficiencies on its inspection report. The only favorable thing we found is that none of these deficiencies were in the categories that indicate they caused a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, we also want to point out that this facility was assessed significant government fines in recent years totaling more than $100,000. This generally indicates that a nursing home's bad track record has been an issue for more than one year.
The final area we scored was nursing. Sadly, it received a lowly F for this category, which is an abysmal grade. Our nursing rating consists of a handful of subcategories, but the paramount consideration is the quantity of nurse hours spent with patients. This nursing home offered only 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient per day. This is a very low total compared to most nursing homes. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in calculating our nursing grades. This nursing home performed well in the area of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Emerald Care Center Tulsa Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Emerald Care Center Tulsa, 9.14% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are often caused by patients staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Emerald Care Center Tulsa, 4.58% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients that suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to serious injury are often caused by poor nursing care. Closer supervision reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Emerald Care Center Tulsa, 3.45% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections are associated with inadequate hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Emerald Care Center Tulsa, 13.96% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These drugs are sometimes used to treat several conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Emerald Care Center Tulsa, 24.45% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of residents who were given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are prescribed to patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Emerald Care Center Tulsa, 3.83% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients demonstrating signs of depression. High rates of depression could be an indicator worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Emerald Care Center Tulsa, 92.26% of Patients
This is the percent of patients that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Emerald Care Center Tulsa, 14.52% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Emerald Care Center Tulsa, 16.45% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of patients that retained mobility levels over time. Retaining mobility is often a great sign for residents' well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Emerald Care Center Tulsa, 16.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Emerald Care Center Tulsa, 15.05 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Emerald Care Center Tulsa, 70.64% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term care patients that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Tulsa, OK
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Tulsa, Oklahoma has 20 other nursing homes
- Shadow Mountain Behavioral Health SystemPsychiatric 3.92 miles away6262 South Sheridan Road Tulsa Oklahoma 74133Proprietary(918) 492-8200
- Saint Francis Hospital, IncAcute Care Hospitals 4.23 miles away6161 South Yale Tulsa Oklahoma 74136Voluntary non-profit - Private(918) 494-2200
- St John Medical Center, IncAcute Care Hospitals 4.54 miles away1923 South Utica Avenue Tulsa Oklahoma 74104Voluntary non-profit - Private(918) 744-3131
- Hillcrest Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.7 miles away1120 South Utica Avenue Tulsa Oklahoma 74104Proprietary(918) 579-1000
- Parkside, IncPsychiatric 4.76 miles away1619 East 13th Street Tulsa Oklahoma 74120Voluntary non-profit - Private(918) 582-2131
- Southwestern Regional Medical Center, IncAcute Care Hospitals 5.73 miles away10109 East 79th Street Tulsa Oklahoma 74133Proprietary(918) 286-5000
- St John Broken Arrow, IncAcute Care Hospitals 5.89 miles away1000 West Boise Circle Broken Arrow Oklahoma 74012Voluntary non-profit - Private(918) 994-8100
- Hillcrest Hospital SouthAcute Care Hospitals 6.41 miles away8801 South 101st East Avenue Tulsa Oklahoma 74133Proprietary(918) 294-4000
- Fmcna - East Tulsa3.41 miles away5147 S Garnett Rd Ste C Tulsa Oklahoma 74146CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (918) 250-3427
- Davita - Tulsa Dialysis3.57 miles away4436 S Harvard Ave Tulsa Oklahoma 74135Dialysis Stations: 20 (918) 660-0571
- St Francis Hospital-Dialysis4.13 miles away6161 S Yale Ave Tulsa Oklahoma 74136CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (918) 494-5575
- Fmcna - Richard Medlock4.32 miles away2845 E Skelly Dr Tulsa Oklahoma 74105CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (918) 747-7127
- Fmcna - North Harvard4.56 miles away1515 N Harvard Ste D Tulsa Oklahoma 74115CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (918) 835-5599
- Davita - Central Tulsa4.92 miles away1124 S St Louis Ave Tulsa Oklahoma 74120CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (918) 585-5557
- Davita - Southcrest5.86 miles away10921 East 81st St Tulsa Oklahoma 74133CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (918) 249-8402
- Davita - Greenwood Dialysis6.15 miles away1345 N Lansing Ave Tulsa Oklahoma 74106CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (918) 585-8811