Emerald Care Center Southwest is one of a host of options at your disposal in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. This turns out to be a middle of the pack facility, with an overall grade of C. This place seems to have a few things going for it. The best part of this facility's profile is is its inspection score. Inspection reports are discussed in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Emerald Care Center Southwest
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Oklahoma City senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
- Oncology Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
The primary reason this turned out to be a decent nursing home is that it earned an elite inspection grade. Its inspection grade was far better than its overall score. In the inspections category, we gave this facility a grade of A-. Inspection scores are tied to many pieces of information found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities that receive favorable grades in this area tend to have very few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these places should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. Although this nursing home had a few deficiencies on its inspection report, none of them were serious based on CMS' scale. A couple of minor deficiencies should not stop you from considering a nursing home.
Short-term Care Quality
Additionally, we awarded this facility a grade of B+ in our short-term care category. This is one of our more favorable scores. In crafting our short-term care ratings, we assess the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, respiratory therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. The purpose is to devise a tool for sizing up the rehabilitation services of various nursing homes. It does not appear that this facility provided information on registered nurse or physical therapist staffing. The final statistic we assessed in this category is the number of patients who were able to leave the facility and return home. We discovered that 5.9 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home.
Does this page answer your questions about Emerald Care Center Southwest?
Moving on to another strength for this facility, it also earned an elite nursing score. In fact, we gave this nursing home an D. The nursing grade consists of a handful of components, but the primary consideration is the level of nurse hours per patient per week. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in computing our nursing grades. This place performed well in terms of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers.
Long-term Care Quality
The last category we looked at is long-term care, which proved to be a low point for this nursing home. We gave this nursing home a grade of just D for our long-term care category. Facilities that receive this kind of score in long-term care may not provide the kind of consistent 24/7 care that some other nursing homes offer. After assessing the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination data. We were somewhat surprised to discover that this nursing home vaccinated only 86.12717 percent of its residents against pneumonia. To our surprise, this place actually fared well at keeping its residents out of the hospital. It had just 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. This is its best score in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Emerald Care Center Southwest Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Emerald Care Center Southwest, 8.17% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage due to staying in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Emerald Care Center Southwest, 4.45% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who experienced falls leading to severe injury. We use this statistic in determining nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Emerald Care Center Southwest, 3.64% of Patients had UTIs
This figure is an indication of the percent of long-term stay residents who sustained UTI's. UTI's may be an indicator of a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this statistic may be skewed for certain facilities due to different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Emerald Care Center Southwest, 13.81% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients given antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications may be helpful for many patients, it is important to confirm these medications are being used appropriately. In some cases, increased usage of these drugs may mean that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Emerald Care Center Southwest, 23.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are generally used to treat patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Emerald Care Center Southwest, 4.69% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients who are exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Emerald Care Center Southwest, 92.54% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term patients who have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home patients, making these vaccines vital to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Emerald Care Center Southwest, 14.6% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living may be a sign of the erosion of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Emerald Care Center Southwest, 13.04% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percentage of long-term patients who were able to retain mobility. Many would argue that the ability to move around is vital to residents' physical and mental well-being.
In Emerald Care Center Southwest, 1.99 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Emerald Care Center Southwest, 13.04 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical abilities of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Emerald Care Center Southwest, 16.38 Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Emerald Care Center Southwest, 75.62% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term residents that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of independence with activities of daily living generally correlates with successful rehabilitation.
Scores for Oklahoma City, OK
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Oklahoma City, Oklahoma has 15 other nursing homes
- Surgical Hospital of Oklahoma, LLCAcute Care Hospitals 0.7 miles away100 Southeast 59th Street Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73129Physician(405) 634-9300
- Integris Southwest Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.09 miles away4401 South Western Avenue Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73109Voluntary non-profit - Private(405) 636-7000
- Onecore HealthAcute Care Hospitals 1.1 miles away1044 Sw 44th, Suite 350 Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73109Voluntary non-profit - Other(405) 631-3085
- Community Hospital, LLCAcute Care Hospitals 3.52 miles away3100 Southwest 89th Street Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73159Physician(405) 602-8100
- Ssm Health St Anthony Hospital - Oklahoma CityAcute Care Hospitals 4.77 miles away1000 North Lee Avenue Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73101Voluntary non-profit - Church(405) 272-7000
- O U MedicineAcute Care Hospitals 5.21 miles away700 Ne 13th Street Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73104Voluntary non-profit - Private(405) 271-5911
- Oklahoma Heart Hospital South, LLCAcute Care Hospitals 5.47 miles away5200 East I-240 Service Road Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73135Physician(405) 628-6000
- Alliancehealth MidwestAcute Care Hospitals 8.29 miles away2825 Parklawn Drive Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73110Proprietary(405) 610-8585
- Davita - Oklahoma City South0.23 miles away319 Sw 59th Street Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73109CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (405) 634-3708
- Fmcna - South Okc Dx Ctr0.56 miles away5419 S Western Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73109CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (405) 636-1570
- Davita - Cleveland Pd2.27 miles away1059 Se 82nd Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73149Dialysis Stations: 8 (405) 512-6912
- Fmcna - Southwest Oklahoma City Jv3.25 miles away10301 Greenbriar Pkwy Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73159CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (405) 691-3433
- Ou Children Dialysis4.28 miles awayOu Children's Dialysis Unit 1200 Everett Dr Ste 1-J Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73104Dialysis Stations: 6 (405) 271-3302
- Fmcna - Se Oklahoma4.84 miles away810 Nw 10th Ste B Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73106Dialysis Stations: 17 (405) 272-1553
- Davita - Heartland Dialysis4.91 miles away925 Ne Eighth Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73104CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (405) 236-3043
- Fkc - Moore5.23 miles away450 N Eastern Ave Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73160Dialysis Stations: 17 (405) 790-0626