With an address in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, Emerald Care Center Southwest is on a list of 32 facilities in the area. This turns out to be a middle of the pack facility, with an overall grade of C. This place seems to have a few things going for it. The best part of this facility's profile is is its inspection score. Inspection reports are discussed in the next paragraph.
Emerald Care Center Southwest
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
- Oncology Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
One of the reasons this turned out to be a decent nursing home is it received a very favorable inspection score. In that area, we gave this nursing home a B+. Inspection ratings are tied to many items located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes that excel in this area typically have very few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these places generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. Although this facility had some deficiencies on its report, none of them were severe based on CMS' scale. A couple of minor deficiencies should not lead you to cross a nursing home off your list.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility also was given a favorable short-term care score. Indeed, we awarded them a grade of B+ in this category, which happens to be one of our better. Our short-term care grades are likely more critical for folks requiring rehabilitation services. Rehabilitation generally mandates more highly-skilled nursing. This means not only nursing, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other types of therapy. Unfortunately, we were not able to locate registered nurse or physical therapy staffing data for this facility. The last measure we considered in this area is the percentage of patients who ultimately were able to return home from the nursing home. We found that 5.9 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
Does this page answer your questions about Emerald Care Center Southwest?
This facility's next best category grade came in the area of nursing. In that category, we gave this nursing home a grade of C. The nursing grade consists of a handful of components, but the primary consideration is the level of nurse hours per patient per week. This facility provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a relatively low total compared to most other facilities. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this place surprisingly excelled in some of the quality-based metrics we assessed. It performed well in terms of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be indicators of the quality of nursing care. In some cases, the quality of nursing care is every bit as important as the quantity of hours of care offered.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home's weakest area is long-term care, which is the last area we analyzed. We gave it an abysmal F in this category. Even with several decent grades in other categories, this score is nevertheless alarming so we would like to to make a note of it. For long-term care residents, the facility's primary goal is to keep patients as healthy and safe as possible. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate patients. One of the statistics we considered after nursing hours was vaccines. Fortunately, this nursing home provided the pneumonia vaccine to 95.56962 percent of its patients. Surprisingly, this facility was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. It had just 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. Unfortunately, some of its other scores in this category were not as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Emerald Care Center Southwest Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Emerald Care Center Southwest, 8.97% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin due to staying in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Emerald Care Center Southwest, 4.39% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic gauges the percent of long-term residents that have suffered a fall which caused major injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls could be an indicator of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Emerald Care Center Southwest, 3.49% of Patients had UTIs
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who had a urinary tract infection. UTI's may be an indication of worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this metric can be misleading for certain facilities due to different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Emerald Care Center Southwest, 14.15% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure is a measure of the percent of long-term residents that are given antipsychotic drugs. Excessive reliance on these medications may mean that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior in situations where such medications are not medically required. However, some facilities may need to rely more on these drugs due to an increased number of residents suffering from cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Emerald Care Center Southwest, 24.47% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients who were prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are administered to patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Emerald Care Center Southwest, 3.91% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who are exhibiting depressive symptoms. High levels of depression may indicate lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Emerald Care Center Southwest, 92.49% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients who were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home patients, making these types of vaccines indispensable.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Emerald Care Center Southwest, 14.12% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Emerald Care Center Southwest, 14.93% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who maintained mobility.
In Emerald Care Center Southwest, 1.77 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Emerald Care Center Southwest, 14.93 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term resident care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Emerald Care Center Southwest, 14.86 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to assess patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Emerald Care Center Southwest, 71.57% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percent of short-term patients that saw functional improvements.
Scores for Oklahoma City, OK
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Oklahoma City, Oklahoma has 31 other nursing homes
- Surgical Hospital of Oklahoma, LLCAcute Care Hospitals 0.7 miles away100 Southeast 59th Street Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73129Physician(405) 634-9300
- Integris Southwest Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.09 miles away4401 South Western Avenue Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73109Voluntary non-profit - Private(405) 636-7000
- Onecore HealthAcute Care Hospitals 1.1 miles away1044 Sw 44th, Suite 350 Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73109Voluntary non-profit - Other(405) 631-3085
- Community Hospital, LLCAcute Care Hospitals 3.52 miles away3100 Southwest 89th Street Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73159Physician(405) 602-8100
- Ssm Health St Anthony Hospital - Oklahoma CityAcute Care Hospitals 4.77 miles away1000 North Lee Avenue Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73101Voluntary non-profit - Church(405) 272-7000
- O U MedicineAcute Care Hospitals 5.21 miles away700 Ne 13th Street Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73104Voluntary non-profit - Private(405) 271-5911
- Oklahoma Heart Hospital South, LLCAcute Care Hospitals 5.47 miles away5200 East I-240 Service Road Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73135Physician(405) 628-6000
- Alliancehealth MidwestAcute Care Hospitals 8.29 miles away2825 Parklawn Drive Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73110Proprietary(405) 610-8585
- Davita - Oklahoma City South0.23 miles away319 Sw 59th Street Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73109CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (405) 634-3708
- Fmcna - South Okc Dx Ctr0.56 miles away5419 S Western Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73109CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (405) 636-1570
- Davita - Cleveland Pd2.27 miles away1059 Se 82nd Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73149Dialysis Stations: 8 (405) 512-6912
- Fmcna - Southwest Oklahoma City Jv3.25 miles away10301 Greenbriar Pkwy Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73159CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (405) 691-3433
- Ou Children Dialysis4.28 miles awayOu Children's Dialysis Unit 1200 Everett Dr Ste 1-J Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73104Dialysis Stations: 6 (405) 271-3302
- Fmcna - Se Oklahoma4.84 miles away810 Nw 10th Ste B Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73106Dialysis Stations: 17 (405) 272-1553
- Davita - Heartland Dialysis4.91 miles away925 Ne Eighth Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73104CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (405) 236-3043
- Fkc - Moore5.23 miles away450 N Eastern Ave Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73160Dialysis Stations: 17 (405) 790-0626