Located in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, Emerald Care Center Midwest is on a list of 32 nursing homes in the area. With an overall grade of B, this facility is a very good choice. We found this nursing home to be better than the majority of the nursing homes in Oklahoma City, which has a city grade of B-. More information on this nursing home's category grades may be found below. Its best category is short-term care, which is addressed in the next paragraph.
Emerald Care Center Midwest
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
2900 Parklawn Drive,
Oklahoma City OK 73110
48.7% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Pain Management
- Oncology Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
In addition to receiving a strong overall grade, this facility performed well in short-term care. In fact, we awarded it an A for that category, which is one of our best scores. Our short-term care scores are based in part on a facility's quantity of highly-skilled nursing services. This means a wide scope of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, not to mention other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not all nursing homes employs these types of nurses. However, according to the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last measure we assessed in this area is the number of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return home. We found that 6.7 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
This nursing home also performed well in inspections. In fact, it received a nearly flawless government inspection report this year. It received one of our best grades in that category with a score of A-. Few facilities with an overall grade in this range performed as well in multiple categories. These inspection scores take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these factors by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This facility was hit with 5 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none of the deficiencies were considered to be major deficiencies. This tells you that the government inspectors didn't consider any of these deficiencies an immediate threat to resident safety or health. We should point out that deficiency-free inspections are uncommon in this industry.
Does this page answer your questions about Emerald Care Center Midwest?
Turning to the category of nursing care, this facility didn't perform quite as well in this area as some of the categories discussed above. Nevertheless, a grade of C in this category is by no means a bad score. Nursing ratings are tied to nurse staffing levels. This nursing home averages just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low figure. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures. Although this nursing home got docked a bit for nursing hours, it actually excelled in a few of these quality-based metrics. With less than five percent of its patients suffering from pressure ulcers, it did well in this metric. This is typically a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can often be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as having a protocol of moving a patient more frequently.
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to the last area, this nursing home was given a grade of C for long-term care, which is generally an acceptable grade. For long-term care residents, the primary objective is to keep patients healthy and safe. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate residents. After considering the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination record. This facility vaccinated 97.297295 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which is higher than the vast majority of nursing homes. Lastly, this facility was also able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Emerald Care Center Midwest Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Emerald Care Center Midwest, 8.97% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are often caused by residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Emerald Care Center Midwest, 4.39% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint is an indication of the percent of long-term stay residents who suffered a fall which resulted in serious injury. This is one of the statistics we use in computing nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Emerald Care Center Midwest, 3.49% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes associated with poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Emerald Care Center Midwest, 14.15% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. These drugs are used for a variety of medical conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Emerald Care Center Midwest, 24.47% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients given antianxiety medications. These medications are commonly used to treat residents suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Emerald Care Center Midwest, 3.91% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who are demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Emerald Care Center Midwest, 92.49% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Emerald Care Center Midwest, 14.12% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay residents that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and eating.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Emerald Care Center Midwest, 14.93% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percent of long-term residents that maintained mobility. Many would argue that the ability to move around is important for residents' physical and mental health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Emerald Care Center Midwest, 14.93 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Emerald Care Center Midwest, 14.86 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Emerald Care Center Midwest, 71.57% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percentage of short-term residents that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some experts argue this is a measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation services.
Scores for Oklahoma City, OK
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Oklahoma City, Oklahoma has 31 other nursing homes
- Alliancehealth MidwestAcute Care Hospitals 0.15 miles away2825 Parklawn Drive Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73110Proprietary(405) 610-8585
- Oklahoma Heart Hospital South, LLCAcute Care Hospitals 5.74 miles away5200 East I-240 Service Road Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73135Physician(405) 628-6000
- O U MedicineAcute Care Hospitals 6.27 miles away700 Ne 13th Street Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73104Voluntary non-profit - Private(405) 271-5911
- Ssm Health St Anthony Hospital - Oklahoma CityAcute Care Hospitals 7.54 miles away1000 North Lee Avenue Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73101Voluntary non-profit - Church(405) 272-7000
- Surgical Hospital of Oklahoma, LLCAcute Care Hospitals 7.93 miles away100 Southeast 59th Street Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73129Physician(405) 634-9300
- Integris Southwest Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.46 miles away4401 South Western Avenue Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73109Voluntary non-profit - Private(405) 636-7000
- Onecore HealthAcute Care Hospitals 8.7 miles away1044 Sw 44th, Suite 350 Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73109Voluntary non-profit - Other(405) 631-3085
- Mcbride Orthopedic HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.67 miles away9600 North Broadway Extension Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73114Physician(405) 486-2100
- Davita - Midwest City0.65 miles away7221 E Reno Ave Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73110CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (405) 869-9600
- Fmcna - Heritage Park1.33 miles away310 S. Highland Ave Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73110CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (405) 733-1891
- Davita - Rose Rock Dialysis2.1 miles away9913 E Reno Ave Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73130Dialysis Stations: 12 (405) 732-1576
- Davita - Heartland Dialysis5.91 miles away925 Ne Eighth Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73104CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (405) 236-3043
- Ou Children Dialysis6.71 miles awayOu Children's Dialysis Unit 1200 Everett Dr Ste 1-J Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73104Dialysis Stations: 6 (405) 271-3302
- Fmcna - North Central Oklahoma City7.54 miles away200 Ne 50th St Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73105CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (405) 557-0025
- Fmcna - Se Oklahoma7.65 miles away810 Nw 10th Ste B Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73106Dialysis Stations: 17 (405) 272-1553
- Davita - Cleveland Pd8.18 miles away1059 Se 82nd Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73149Dialysis Stations: 8 (405) 512-6912